PDA

View Full Version : Your Special Movie

Spitfire
19-10-05, 18:05
Anyone have any special movies that they feel are like classics or totally weird and need to be seen.

This isn't exactly about ur Favorite movies of all time but like a few of the ones that stood out for weird reasons.

Like i have two for now.

The Jacket- I saw the trailers and thought this movie would be really retarded and turned out to be very different from what I had in mind. I just saw the movie recently after my sister saw and said it was really different and great, so i gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it. I think those who looked at this movie and thought of something bizarre or stupid should give it a try and i think you just might like it.

The other

The Twelve Monkeys- This movie is kinda old but wow was it a cool movie. Its a sci fi and probably influenced alot of movies after it, it was really great with its actors, bruce willace and brad pitt, and they played their parts perfectly. I wouldnt want to go to deep into plot afraid to give anything away but its like 2035 and in 1996 there is supposed to be a deadly disease that kills 5 billion people across the globe and leaves like 1% of the global population alive. Its a crazy movie and it was really different from the Repetative movies being produced in mass numbers.

Anyone else have some cool movies u wanna talk about?

Catapharact
19-10-05, 18:08
GATTACA http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif .

By far a movie to watch. With the current talk on genetic perfection, this is one movie that really opens a few eyes.

A bit of a snippit:

In the future discrimination is based on genetics, not race or class. Parents see geneticist to filter out undesirable traits in their children. Vincent's parents decided to go trust mother nature and concieve naturally. Vincent is seen as genetically inferior and is doomed to a life of servitude. His parents have a second child and choose to consult a geneticist. this child is his parents pride and joy. Vincent is treated as if he's fragile and will die any moment.
Vincent dreams of going into space but he is seen as unfit. He finally gets the courage to go out on his own when he beats his "genetically superior" brother in a swim race.

mau3genius
19-10-05, 18:16
BoogieMan

When I saw just the name, I was like "The boogieman? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/vlol.gif ". I finally watched the movie and it wasn't what I expected, it's the complex story of a guy that has to deal with his childhood, and all of his fears united in the ghost (the boogieman http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/vlol.gif ), and he has to defeat his fear for making it dissapear.

Atlantea
19-10-05, 18:22
MEMENTO

The whole idea of the movie is very unusual and keeps you alert for the whole time - it makes you really try to be in the character's shoes, try to imagine how you would react and live in such a situation - it's very interesting and unique.

Mona Sax
19-10-05, 18:33
The Sixth Sense - The most stunning ending ever. And perhaps Identity for a really cool twist, too.

Edit: Love your avatar, Atlantea! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

[ 19. October 2005, 19:35: Message edited by: MonA saX ]

Nicky
19-10-05, 18:41
A couple I can think of atm are "The Crying Game" for its unexpected twists and unconventional finale, and "Dogville" for its general concept, which was brilliant.

Spitfire
19-10-05, 18:55
Two movies that are amazing too are

Magnolia- The story of many different people whos lives connect in many different ways, one of the best dramas in my opinion and has alot of emotional scenes and really makes u wonder about whats heppening to these people.

Crash- In a sense its like Magnolia and is about the lives of a group of people who connect. Though the real meaning in this movie is Racism and i dont think anyone should miss out of this powerful move.

GATTACA
By far a movie to watch. With the current talk on genetic perfection, this is one movie that really opens a few eyes.
I really liked that movie alot too, loved the name for having the 4 parts of DNA, clever indeed :D

just croft
19-10-05, 18:59
Psyco I watched the other day and its totaly beautiful. and the murder part:
http://www.literatura.org/postal/afiches/psycho.jpg

Andromeda66
19-10-05, 19:00
yeah. I absolutely love the closing dialogue of Norman Bates (or his grandmother)
GATTACA was a good movie.
Also, I think one movie I will never forget is 'The Pianist' for its reality.

I had watched this Japanese animated movie the other day called 'Spirited Away'. Very nice. Though it was meant for kids, I think it had a different feel to it.

Anyways, I have too many, I could just go on because each one teaches you something new.

[ 19. October 2005, 20:14: Message edited by: Andromeda66 ]

Spitfire
19-10-05, 19:04
Also, I think one movie I will never forget is 'The Pianist' for its reality.
Yes the Pianist was a great Movie, it was so sad and real and just wow. I remember watching and warning my mom not to watch, she gets real emotional and i just knew that movie would move u and make her cry.

It is an amazing movie.

Andromeda66
19-10-05, 19:20
I think despite the sadness there's a lot of meaning in it. And Of course I think Adrien Brody did a great job.

Spitfire
19-10-05, 19:22
yeah hes a great actor.

Hey just wondering Andromeda66, have u read the book Andromeda Strain or ur name is something completely different.

Angel666
19-10-05, 21:31
Crash- In a sense its like Magnolia and is about the lives of a group of people who connect. Though the real meaning in this movie is Racism and i dont think anyone should miss out of this powerful move.
Yeah, I saw that. The sad thing is, I know almost all of those people. (not in real life, just people like them) Sandra Bullock was getting on my nerves though. And remember kiddies: it's rated R for a reason.

Dead Birds should be seen. It's not actually a good movie but it's one of those things that everyone should experience. That's rated R for a reason too.

Everybody needs to watch Saw. It really makes you think and appreciate life a bit more. That is also an R movie.

And just for a laugh, Nun's on the Run. It's hilarious, and rated R. It's got Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane. They steal money and hide in a nunnery. Hilarity insues. It's every nun for himself!

T.Onix
19-10-05, 21:34
AMELIE.

Henhead
19-10-05, 23:29
Originally posted by SpitFire:

Two movies that are amazing too are

Magnolia- The story of many different people whos lives connect in many different ways, one of the best dramas in my opinion and has alot of emotional scenes and really makes u wonder about whats heppening to these people.

Magnolia is a great film, but what about the frogs :confused:

Crash - I have not seen it, but I presumed by the title, you meant Crash by David Cronenberg, which although is a well done film in my opinion (but not too many peoples tastes) would not rate as a special movie.

My special movies would be

Pulp Fiction – Awesome one liners and a cult classic

Shawshank Redemption – Great script and acting, and a totally immersive film

I could name many more including the Alien series, Patriot, Aviator, I could be here all day

Spitfire
20-10-05, 00:23
Originally posted by Henhead:
Magnolia is a great film, but what about the frogs :confused: The frogs weren supposed to be like the Miracle, the thing that happens that changes all their lives, an event that is just impossible and took place durring biblical times. It was supposed to be a religious metaphor and was really there to show like the plague.

nomedo
20-10-05, 01:08
here are a few movies the may not be the best, but still ones that i remember.
Jurassic Park -a classic movie that were years before its time.
S.F.W -im too afriad to see this movie again cause i found it fun back in the days.
Krippendorf's Tribe -with Jenna Elfman, this was a huge flopp, but so fun
oh all '90s films. am i that old :rolleyes:

and i also like all Sällskapsresan movies

[ 20. October 2005, 02:10: Message edited by: nomedo ]

Genocide
20-10-05, 02:23
i have 3 in which i shall share with you guys

DARKNESS FALLS
A film about the tooth fairy (dont laugh)
The whole plot revolves around a women who was wrongfully HUNG (not hanged) for the disappearence of two little girls, during her life she collected the baby teeth of the children from within the village, rarely coming out in the day due to a fire which scarred her leaving her skin sensative (making her wear a porcelain mask...creepiest things EVER!)
Even after death she continues to collect the teeth of children...while they sleep...if they are look at her, she will kill them...quickly, one such kid does so and is hunted for 10 years (always hiding in the light) untill he is forced to face his fear after his friends brother is in the same situation
I know this seems like im revealling alot of the plot, but all this is given away in the first 15 minutes anyway

CLERKS
This is merely a day in the life of...type of film
but for Dante Hicks, this is one day where anything that can go wrong...does, he wasnt even supposed to be there that day (if youve seen the film you'll get that 'joke'

A PERFECT WORLD
you'll have to see this one for yourself...

Angel666
20-10-05, 20:50
DARKNESS FALLS
A film about the tooth fairy (dont laugh)
The whole plot revolves around a women who was wrongfully HUNG (not hanged) for the disappearence of two little girls, during her life she collected the baby teeth of the children from within the village, rarely coming out in the day due to a fire which scarred her leaving her skin sensative (making her wear a porcelain mask...creepiest things EVER!)
Even after death she continues to collect the teeth of children...while they sleep...if they are look at her, she will kill them...quickly, one such kid does so and is hunted for 10 years (always hiding in the light) untill he is forced to face his fear after his friends brother is in the same situation
I know this seems like im revealling alot of the plot, but all this is given away in the first 15 minutes anyway
I love that movie. Very creepy. *shivers* Eight Legged Freaks is really funny. Watch if you like spiders. Or if you dont it'l give you the creeps.

Ed Wood is an awesome movie. It's about the worst directer ever, Ed Wood, played by Johnny Depp. Very interesting with some funny bits. Very original.

The Monty Python movies are hilarious. Very quirky. My personal favs are The Life of Brian and The Holy Grail. Hilarious movies and always worth a look.

Atlantea
20-10-05, 22:28
Oh, I see here some movies that I have definitely found very good: Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Amelie, Sixth Sense, Gattaca.

Also, any Alfred Hitch**** movie is bound to keep me glued to the screen.

Charade - the original, with Audrey Hepburn (not the dissapointing remake)

MonASax: Thanks http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif ;)

EDIT: ha, it;s not letting me spell the name http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/vlol.gif

[ 20. October 2005, 23:54: Message edited by: Atlantea ]

Smith will Suffice
21-10-05, 03:37
two words:

JACOB'S LADDER

i wont give any explanations, just watch it and see it for yourselves.

-Smith

P.S - Sixth Sense wasnt the best ending ever mina, id have to disagree http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Andromeda66
21-10-05, 15:14
Originally posted by SpitFire:

Hey just wondering Andromeda66, have u read the book Andromeda Strain or ur name is something completely different. Nah. I just love stars :D http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

[ 21. October 2005, 16:16: Message edited by: Andromeda66 ]

Darko Ivanis
21-10-05, 16:09
This is very good idea SpitFire that we can know what to rent i mean the movie we would like to see! But i mean that the explanations are redundancy! Please can you make your movie names with BIG WORDS that i can copy them in some doc. without reding and start to watch!
1.''CUBE''. Definitely for psychic people!
2.''RING''. Horor (i think everyone saw it)
3.''THE BUTTERFLY EFFECTS'' too good trailer
4.''FREDDY'S GOT A FINGERED'' Humor
5.''WITHOUT A PADDLE'' Humor
6.''BIG FISH'' Trailer
7.''BIONICLE'' Animated
I think that 90% of you watched this movies but there is still 10%! There is a lot of movies that needs to be watched. Other time!

Andromeda66
21-10-05, 16:49
Ring wasnt really a horror now was it? Or maybe you and me arent talking about the same "RING"

How many of you found 'THE EXORCIST' scary?

Darko Ivanis
21-10-05, 17:53
Girl in well, video tape, horses and other!
I don't thing that horors are movies only with blood and sudden music and scenes, i respect and like horors like ring becouse of real scary storry!
And how can i forgot this animation!
''
Weeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllll,

[Mod Edit - Rest of post removed. We can do without that kind of nonsense thank you.]

[ 21. October 2005, 21:27: Message edited by: Neteru ]