PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Wilma

tazmine
19-10-05, 23:39
This is the strongest storm EVER recorded in the Atlantic Ocean. Winds right now of 175 miles per hour, heading towards the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. It is then expected to veer right & hit Florida by the weekend. 10 people are already dead in the Cayman Islands.

I just hope lessons were learned from Katrina & Rita, & that the state & federal agencies can get their acts together a little better this time.

I wish there were something we could do besides just wait & watch.

T.Onix
19-10-05, 23:42
My family lives in Yucatan :(

tazmine
19-10-05, 23:51
Originally posted by T.Onyx:
My family lives in Yucatan :( I do hope they are taking whatever precautions they can, & that they will be safe. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

Spitfire
19-10-05, 23:55
I live in miami FL and we are all praying that the storm lowers to the predicted catagory 2 when it goes over the FL *****ula.

By thrusday night i hope we know more on the hurricane.

T.Onix
19-10-05, 23:55
YEah, they've survived two other hurricanes, but I dont understand why dont they leave to another state, or at least not so close to the beach!!!

Thank you Tazmine http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

[ 20. October 2005, 00:57: Message edited by: T.Onyx ]

Camera Obscura
20-10-05, 00:46
It's a real shame, we're getting hurricanes more frequently. Soon it'll be a daily thing to have multiple hurricanes around the world with catagory 3 and 4

T.Onix
20-10-05, 00:48
Please dont say that!!!
Here in my country were still trying to sort Stan hurricane's lefts up

Draco
20-10-05, 00:54
Originally posted by Camera Obscura:
It's a real shame, we're getting hurricanes more frequently. Soon it'll be a daily thing to have multiple hurricanes around the world with catagory 3 and 4 What an odd thing to say.

Camera Obscura
20-10-05, 01:00
huh?

Gomes
20-10-05, 01:46
Sigh. I hope we learn to tame nature one day.

I hope everyone is taken to safety before the hurricane hits and that it downgrades or even better, dissipates, before it strikes.

Draco
20-10-05, 01:52
Originally posted by Gomes:
Sigh. I hope we learn to tame nature one day.I can't think of a good reason to do this.

Gomes
20-10-05, 02:09
Originally posted by Draco:
I can't think of a good reason to do this. I can't think that having thousands and even millions of people dying because of the random forces of nature is not reason enough.

Draco
20-10-05, 02:44
Originally posted by Gomes:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Draco:
I can't think of a good reason to do this. I can't think that having thousands and even millions of people dying because of the random forces of nature is not reason enough. </font>[/QUOTE]Who are we to dictate what nature does? Pretty arrogant don't you think?

We already have the tools to avoid dying to nature, yet we still do...why? Certainly isn't nature's fault.

tazmine
20-10-05, 14:00
Originally posted by Draco:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gomes:
Sigh. I hope we learn to tame nature one day.I can't think of a good reason to do this. </font>[/QUOTE]If "nature" were allowed to be "natural", I would agree with you, Draco. But...we have polluted the world to the point that we are forcing nature to do some terrible things. A step in the right direction would be if the US had signed on to the Kyoto protocols. Instead the Bush administration has rejected the scientific consensus on global warming & suppressed an EPA report supporting that consensus.

Since we seem to have destroyed nature's ability to "control" itself, I have to agree with Gomes that we hope we can someday learn to tame this new nature.

Greenkey2
20-10-05, 14:58
Originally posted by tazmine:
Sigh. I hope we learn to tame nature one day.I can't think of a good reason to do this. </font>[/QUOTE]If "nature" were allowed to be "natural", I would agree with you, Draco. But...we have polluted the world to the point that we are forcing nature to do some terrible things. A step in the right direction would be if the US had signed on to the Kyoto protocols. Instead the Bush administration has rejected the scientific consensus on global warming & suppressed an EPA report supporting that consensus.

Since we seem to have destroyed nature's ability to "control" itself, I have to agree with Gomes that we hope we can someday learn to tame this new nature. </font>[/QUOTE]Forgive my boldness, but nature is NOT some wonderful loving entity that only turns violent when humans interfere with it. Take global warming. The earth has warmed and cooled, warmed and cooled literally hundreds of times over its history. I agree that human activity is playing some part in aggravating the situatuion, but our planet has the most astonishing ability to heal itself, no matter how severe the disaster. The fact that humans probably won't be around to write reports on it (in oh, five million years time) doesn't matter diddly-squat.

This is IN NO WAY saying that we can just kick back and do whatever the hell we want to with our world, BUT (!) put it in perspective! If we suffer losses from plagues and other natural disasters (such as Hurricane Wilma) it is not something we should be decrying as unfair or unjustly cruel. It's simply natures way of reasserting itself. Nature is not good or bad. It's NATURE.

I'm a scientist. I love earth science and paleontology. We tend to take the long view :D .

interstellardave
20-10-05, 15:19
It's good to hear a scientist that doesn't seem to put the "global warming" blame solely on Man's shoulders! Man's part may indeed be small--perhaps too small to even make a big difference, let alone start the whole process--but that's not what you hear on the news all the time!

Financial and political agendas fuel both sides of the "Global Warming" debate while the science of understanding it hasn't yet given us the final answer. Anyway, it's nice to hear someone actually say that global warming is NOT something new to planet Earth. The only reason we think it's something special this time is because we're alive during this time!

[ 20. October 2005, 16:22: Message edited by: interstellardave ]

rachkitten
20-10-05, 16:42
I just hope everyone will survive :( GUD LUK!

ben croft
20-10-05, 16:55
I just hope everyone will surviveMe too. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

deepbluesea
20-10-05, 17:15
it's true that natural cycles reoccur like the ice ages etc, but to say that we haven't played a part is incorrect,if anthing we've speeded it up this time and our medelling with the ozone will eventually change the face of the planet. not to say it wouldn't happen anyway. we just gave it a shove.

Draco
20-10-05, 20:59
Originally posted by tazmine:

Since we seem to have destroyed nature's ability to "control" itself, I have to agree with Gomes that we hope we can someday learn to tame this new nature. </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing Kyoto would have done is further ruin the US economy, not. one. thing. else.

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-10-05, 21:03
Hurricane Wilma is expected to hit Florida, what a shame, because my young cousins live there. :(

tazmine
20-10-05, 21:53
Well, I think you are wrong there, Draco. I think Kyoto would have been a step in the right direction. Are you saying that the US economy can't afford to control greenhouse gas emissions? If that is the case, perhaps, besides it's foreign policy, the US should reconsider it's industrial economy.

Something has to give at some point...is it going to be, as you seem to think, the destruction of the US economy, or the ozone layer? Which would be better?

Our prevailing winds in Nova Scotia in the fall of the year carry pollution from the Eastern seaboard of the US up to us. (We aren't highly industrialized in this area, so it is imported pollution.) There were warnings out for about a month telling anyone with asthma or other lung conditions to stay indoors. Kyoto would have been a help here.

Something has to happen...even small steps in the right direction would help.

[ 20. October 2005, 22:56: Message edited by: tazmine ]