PDA

View Full Version : Best Games this Generation

dragonquest6
21-08-05, 16:25
Even though several big games (including TR: Legend) have yet to come out, this generation of consoles is soon coming to a close. This topic is for the best games from this generation of console and PC games starting with the Dreamcast and ending with the Xbox.

Please list your three favorite games, possibly with an explanation for choosing them. Feel free to comment on other members' lists but don't argue because it's just personal opinion.

My favorite games where:
1. Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

Ninja Gaiden is honestly one of my all time favorite games. It revived the intensity of arcade and 2D action games yet involved a deep combat and an interesting upgrade system. I've beat it several times and I'm going through it on Hard mode. My playtime is clocking in at 60 hours. Taking on a helicopter with a bow and arrow was just so cool!

2.Shenmue II (Dreamcast, Xbox)

Shenmue sort of fell short of what it was supposed to be. However Shenmue II made up for that with immense cities with great atmosphere. Shenmue didn't have good gameplay but it felt like Kowloon and Hong Kong where tucked away right in my Dreamcast.

3. Ikaruga (Dreamcast, Gamecube)

I still havn't decided if I liked Ikaruga or not. However, I appreciate what it was doing. It was intense, it was smooth and it was difficult. Beating a level was very satisfying but I'm not sure it was fun.

Quiver.
21-08-05, 17:32
I bought Half Life 2 last week and I haven't played a game like that in years...

It has beautifull graphics and a very nice gameplay...The storyline is nice.

Its a "new game" but I think its one of the best game since the last 5 years...

dragonquest6
21-08-05, 17:44
Originally posted by Quiver.:
I bought Half Life 2 last week and I haven't played a game like that in years...

Its a "new game" but I think its one of the best game since the last 5 years...
Yes, Half-Life 2 was an excellent game. It doesn't matter if it's new as everything till now is part of this generation. However I didn't think it was a big enough improvement over the original Half-Life to make it into my list. Its physics engine was excellent, but otherwise it was too linear and scripted.

tombraider123
21-08-05, 18:02
I have a few

Kessen 2 + 3 (ps2) Strategy/old war game.

Tomb Raider AoD (ps2 + pc) Action Advernture

GTA 3 + vice city + san andreas (PS2 PC XBOX)

Soma Holiday
21-08-05, 18:18
I LOVE Ninja Gaiden, it's just beautiful.

Advent Rising-is a sleeper hit because everyone is over looking it, but on a musical and story level, it surpasses any game I've ever played.

RE4-the interactive cutscenes are so original and the graphics were beautiful.

Halo-Der!

Apofiss
21-08-05, 18:29
(TRs > it goes without saying)

*Half-Life 2 [PC] > what can I say... probably the best game.

*Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 [PC] > horror/adventure game with the most profesional (complex and smartest) story/script, even better than a movie. Actor play, animations, music, design and etc - very good.

*GTA3 [PC] > it's "Rockstar" you know! :D (VC and SA is quite good too)

*MaxPayne 1 & 2 [PC] > Really good story, gameplay and everything.

*AoE 2 > the best strategy game ever, of course. (but LotR: BfME is quite enjoyable too!)

Grenade
21-08-05, 18:29
AOD, Soul Calibur 2, Splinter Cell 3. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Greenkey2
21-08-05, 20:32
What about Doom III (PC)???? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yikes.gif

Beautiful graphics (no, not the gore :rolleyes: ), physics, sound and environments. OK, so the story is so well-worn that it's gauged a three-foot rut in the floor, but in the heat of playing, you just don't notice. The only problem I've so far encountered is pant-wettingly scary levels I'm afraid to finish! (will do someday....)

crux2
21-08-05, 21:29
The ground breaking TR series- well duh, who needs to justify that?

Silent Storm- a wonderfully innovative design which has at last won decent IGN coverage and respect that it so rightly deserves

Dawn of War- finally someone is making decent use of the immensely huge Warhammer 40K universe and doing an exceptional job of it for a change

ben croft
21-08-05, 21:48
God of War. I love greek mythology http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Haken
22-08-05, 02:19
Can I put five games?

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Resident Evil Remake (GC)
Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC)
God of War (PS2)

TRChik
22-08-05, 02:39
Originally posted by Apofiss:
*MaxPayne 1 & 2 [PC] > Really good story, gameplay and everything.
i totally agree. those 2 games are the best i have ever played. i cant get over how amazing the plot is!

Spitfire
22-08-05, 04:08
God of War, TR's, The Longest Journey, GTA's, Diablo I and II, Resident Evil 4,

Most Special ones below

Special one is The Sims Series, Never gets old!
Super Smash Bro's OMG best Fighter EEEEVVVERRR

Olvidarse
22-08-05, 05:23
Too difficult!...

I would say Final Fantasy X.

DREWY
22-08-05, 06:46
I liked the Burnout series for the PS. No thinking involved, just strap yourself in and drive!

Grenade
22-08-05, 09:52
Originally posted by Greenkey2:
What about Doom III (PC)???? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yikes.gif

Beautiful graphics (no, not the gore :rolleyes: ), physics, sound and environments. OK, so the story is so well-worn that it's gauged a three-foot rut in the floor, but in the heat of playing, you just don't notice. The only problem I've so far encountered is pant-wettingly scary levels I'm afraid to finish! (will do someday....) Oh yeah! How could I forget about Doom 3! I should get it soon, I love the graphics!

TRChik
22-08-05, 12:05
doom III was great... i actually didnt play it. but i watched my boyfriend play it http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif it was too scary for me! any time i tried to play it on the xbox i got freaked out and would scream when something would pop up. that body that was just hanging from the ceiling was so creepy. and when words were written in blood on the walls in a hall was nuts.

the graphics were amzing though.

MelikeLara
22-08-05, 14:30
tr4-dreamcast.ps,pc
gta3-pc,ps2,xbox
gta vice city-pc,ps2,xbox
gta san andreas-pc,ps2,xbox
burnout 3-ps2,gc,xbox
these are just some of my favourites

Quiver.
22-08-05, 18:14
Originally posted by Greenkey2:

Beautiful graphics (no, not the gore :rolleyes: ), physics, sound and environments. OK, so the story is so well-worn that it's gauged a three-foot rut in the floor, but in the heat of playing, you just don't notice. The only problem I've so far encountered is pant-wettingly scary levels I'm afraid to finish! (will do someday....) Agree!
Doom 3 is awesome http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
It's unbelievable that a game can be scare like that...

dragonquest6
22-08-05, 21:31
Originally posted by Olvidarse:
I would say Final Fantasy X. To me, Final Fantays X perfected the turn-based battle system. It also had a very good leveling system which always gave a sense of progression.