PDA

View Full Version : The issue of game content...

Croft Security
25-12-02, 07:20
The seriousness of the issue of game content was just brought home to me in a very ugly way. I wanted to share this with you folks, since you are all gamers, and this is something I've never encountered in my "carefree" gaming life. I went over to my dad's this Christmas Eve, and the gift I gave to his son, who is my half-brother, was Grand Theft Auto Vice City. He is 16 years old. For a while, all was well, until a member of my family made some remark about the content of the game. I found myself put on the spot, in front of my entire family, to explain the content of the game. I was a few sheets to the wind, and I described some of the content in the game in a light and joking manner. My father became nothing short of enraged, and chewed me out in front of everybody about what he will allow his 16 year old son to see. We proceeded to get into an argument in his driveway, during which he accused me of not being sensitive to the fact that his son is only 16 years old. Keep in mind that he has the previous two Grand Theft Auto games, and his mother is very aware of this, and he is a very good kid. I suddenly realized that the issue of game content is much more serious than I ever thought, and the issue will only be escalating with game publishers taking more daring risks with the content they put in their games. It's sad that I had to fight with my father on Christmas Eve, but maybe it's good that I was made more conscious that a lot of game content is not for all players. I am an adult, and I'm all for adult content in games, but maybe I need to remember that a large part of the video game market is still children. Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I never thought that something like a video game could be such a big deal.

Draco
25-12-02, 08:55
This whole censorship thing is way out of hand...

Oh no...Society cant let children know how screwed up it is...they would rather feel good about 'protecting the children' then to prepare them for what they will have to deal with after they leave their home to venture into this 'wonderful' society...

But, Im just a tiger, such things are beyond me...

-Dingochik's fuzzy tiger