PDA

View Full Version : Birdsflu

Liberty Ashford
26-10-05, 08:52
I have recently become obsessed with the birdsflu disease. Its meant to be heading to Australia, and there's really nothing anyone could do about it. I have been doing some research, and they have found a cure (found in australia) to it, but its limited, and the company is selling it off too different countries for money. I heard if it mutates, the disease will go into humans instead of just birds. My teacher reckons if it does mutate, it'll spread like wild flowers or something. I fear that will happen :( I dont want to die. Is anyone else scared? I am, and I found talking about it with people helps me. I also heard that other countries are on a shooting frenzie at pigeons.

[ 26. October 2005, 09:54: Message edited by: Liberty Ashford ]

Greenkey2
26-10-05, 09:11
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif
I understand your fears, Liberty Ashford. But take into consideration the following:

*At the present time, the only way to contract the disease from birds is to have regular, very close contact with infected birds. Unless you're a chicken farmer that has just had a consignment from Asia or eastern Europe, I'd not be too worried.

*There is a factor to consider, and that's the media. Sorry to say there are already plenty of diseases as dangerous (or more so) than bird flu. I'm not saying don't trust everything you hear on the news, but remember they have to have a headline. If it wasn't bird flu, it'd be AIDs, malaria, tuberculosis, ebola or a food scare.

*You are very wise to do some research, to look for information beyond the evening news. Most people won't do that and will blindly believe what they're told at face value. This is one way in which public opinion is swayed - and it's important to recognise what kind of priority is given to different stories.

All in all, avian flu is indeed a problem and you can be sure that it is being attended to. Take steps to protect yourself and your family, but don't lock out the world to avoid every possible disaster. Uninformed panic will do more damage than the disease ever could.

crux2
26-10-05, 09:12
It will only become lethal to humans i.e. spread from human to human (rather that bird to human wich is easier to contain) if the virus mutates dramatically.

Put simply, it is unlikely to develope into some kind of super-virus that could threaten mankind.

Scientists have to use the words 'unlikely' rather than impossible because there is always room for error and people are very, very quick to criticise if they get it wrong.

nikos
26-10-05, 12:26
Panic is the worst advisor!keep cool,maybe is a deadly virus,but the possibilities are very rare!
In greece we were in panic,because of a fake example found in a turkey,reporters create an unbelievable noise,but now still eat chikens,because if we scare with things like this,is better to hide in our homes,breathing with masks and eating pills!

In greece we use to eat "crazy" things that european community said that is very dangerous,and they create a law to stop us,but we ate all that stuff from centuries,and nobody got a problem! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/vlol.gif

Panic kill more than viruses! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Mona Sax
26-10-05, 13:53
Until now, only about 120 people have died from this disease. I guess more people die from ordinary flu every day.

tlr online
26-10-05, 14:22
What worries me is that this is an airborne virus, and we don't have a vaccine.

AnthonyShock1515
26-10-05, 14:27
Dont worry everyone, there is no threat to nobody but those who are brought into close contact with birds, you can still eat poultry as the coocked meat will be uneffected. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

So calm down, you can have your chicken this Sunday! :D

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/vlol.gif

Geck-o-Lizard
26-10-05, 16:25
I do worry about it, but there's really not a lot we can do about it if it does mutate into a human to human type of virus because by then it'll be too late to stop it. Just consider how it's spread across over half of eastern Europe and a lot of Asia so far but only around a hundred people have died from it; you've got a greater chance of dying of lung cancer from secondhand smoke or being killed in a car crash tomorrow than you have of dying from bird flu.

Anubis_AF
26-10-05, 17:35
It already reached Croatia. We're next :rolleyes:

Anubis_AF
26-10-05, 17:41
You'd be dead by 48 hours if you get infected. But the bright side is, you would get infected if you'd be in contact with the bird itself, not by eating it. Germany found cure.

[ 26. October 2005, 18:46: Message edited by: Anubis_AF ]

Nephili
26-10-05, 21:28
I remember reading that you if you get it, you get conjunctivitus (sp??) for 3 days, then you cant move due to muscle ache, you then get pnumonia (sp??) which is what kills you.

Tramp
26-10-05, 22:32
Liberty stop panicking. This disease has been around from time immemorial. There is no proof that it can or will mutate so that it can be passed from human to human. In cage birds (Parrots, Canaries etc.) it is call Psitticosis. I know a number of people who have had it, including Avian Vets and it is very easily treated with anti-biotics.

We have had a number of outbreaks here in Australia and they have all been successfully eradicated. Victoria (1976, 1985 and 1992), Queensland 1994 and NSW 1997.

I think this might be one of the newer forms of TERRORISM. The terrorists seem to be just trying to disrupt our lives and world economies rather than just killing people. They just seem to be trying to strike fear and panic amongst us.

I cannot see any proof that this disease can mutate so that it is passed from human to human.

BTW Justin all flu is air borne. The idea with the flu is that you stay at home in bed instead of going out and possibly passing it to everyone you come in contact with.

Yes we do have treatments for it. The problem is that when a Drug Company discovers a drug they have a monoply on it for so many years. Roche has a monoply on the main drug to treat bird flu. It is now being said that they sould waive their monopoly and allow other Companies to manufacture it, which in actual fact would be totally unnecessary if Governments were not ordering and stockpiling every skeric that is being manufactured. Roche just can't keep up with the supply and demand.

We had Newcastle's Disease in Australia a few years ago that did mutate over 8 times in 6 months, but it was only minor mutations and it was still treatable with the same group of anti-biotics. Thousands of pet birds (Parrots etc) were destroyed just in case. It never infected any pet birds. I had a friend who lost all his birds, nearly 40 years of breeding. His were the last pet birds destroyed as they killed them then tested them. None of them had the disease. Others were put into quarantine conditions and exposed and did not catch it. Now they just innoculate them.

In Asia where it is worst only 60 people have died. More people are dying of AIDS every day, mainly because Drug Companies and the Developed world will not supply medication easily or cheaply to Third World Countries. Where is the outcry about this. This is a disease that was passed from animal to human and then from human to human.

There is an elderly lady here in Australia who has been ostracised by her neighbours and friends because she has a pet c0ckatiel and they won't go near her because her bird might give then bird flu. She is a widow and the bird was her only child's pet and he died. She loves this bird and does not want to get rid of it. Her neighbours have threatened her and the bird, so much so that she is too scared to go out during the day and only sneaks out at night to do some shopping, just in case they either break in and kill her bird or burn her house down, which they have threatened to do. This is disgusting.

People STOP PANICKING. More people are dying everyday of the various forms of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and the ordinary flu that most of us suffer from every year, and many other illnesses. Not to mention all the people killed in car accidents.

Liberty Ashford
26-10-05, 23:55
Originally posted by tlr online:
What worries me is that this is an airborne virus, and we don't have a vaccine. Nicky, it may be airborne, but they DO have a vaccine. Its not to prevent it, but to cure it. And Australians have discovered it, and are selling it off to other countries for money. So all of the politicians and docters will be getting it first, then they'll make more for the rest of us. But, some people maybe immune to the virus, if you are healthy, and stuff. After talking with you guys, I feel better now http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Legend
27-10-05, 00:04
I have bird flu :( *Sniffles* http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

Liberty Ashford
27-10-05, 07:40
Is that for real? If you do, you poor thing. Have you gotten the vaccine, or are you immune to it?

[ 27. October 2005, 08:42: Message edited by: Liberty Ashford ]

RAID
27-10-05, 07:45
This desease scares the hell out of me.

RAID
27-10-05, 07:46
Especially since I eat mostly Chicken.

Nephili
27-10-05, 08:50
I think if chicken is cooked properly, its fine right?

Liberty Ashford
27-10-05, 11:31
Not sure. I heard if you do cook the chicken properly, it will get rid of the bactiria, containing the virus. I wouldnt take any chances though. In australia, customes are stopping all poultry packages from some country. Scientists are also debating on whether to stop people from coming in and out of australia

Liberty Ashford
27-10-05, 11:34
Originally posted by Liberty Ashford:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tlr online:
What worries me is that this is an airborne virus, and we don't have a vaccine. Nicky, it may be airborne, but they DO have a vaccine. Its not to prevent it, but to cure it. And Australians have discovered it, and are selling it off to other countries for money. So all of the politicians and docters will be getting it first, then they'll make more for the rest of us. But, some people maybe immune to the virus, if you are healthy, and stuff. After talking with you guys, I feel better now http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Why did I say nicky? I thought you were nicky. I swore I saw you and nicky's avator in your place....

JamesFKirk
27-10-05, 11:39
H5N1 is not an airborne virus, at least as far as I know. You must get into direct contact with the diseased animal so that you can be infected too. Any direct contact will do it but that doesn't make the virus airborne. If it was, it would spread among the birds with insane velocity.

Tramp
27-10-05, 13:03
Infection comes from close contact with birds, their droppings and their dust. (Chickens like to dust bath) also the dust from the floor of their housing or where they roam.