PDA

View Full Version : My 20 favourite horror films

Scottlee
29-10-05, 01:31
(in reverse order of greatness)

20 - Cabin Fever (2003)
The gist - Pschyopathic rednecks, giant bunnies in hospitals, and sleazy coppers, together make this killer-disease-in-forest tale absorbingly watchable if not particularly scary.
Best part - The slow motion shot of a 7 year old tomboy doing martial arts. If you haven't seen the film, just don't ask.
Dodgy sequals - None.

19 - Tremors (1990)
The gist - Giant underground worms (That look like huge cornish pasties) terrorise a small Nevada community. This is the best example I can give you of a film that makes you laugh at the same time you're bricking your pants
Best part - The dorky Melvin character celebrating the death of a worm by shouting "Way to go dude!"
Dodgy sequals - Three of them, and they're all rubbish.

18 - Event Horizon (1995)
The gist - Sam Neill and friends board a ghost ship that supposedly has just returned from hell itself. Neill then goes berserk and starts killing everyone. And it's 100 times scarier than Jurassic Park, btw.
Best part - The hell montage shots.
Dodgy sequals - None.

17 - Society (1980)
The gist - Small American town are all secretly aliens. Bores you for an hour and then lets rip with a truly shocking sequence where a fat boy gets ripped to pieces at a party. I really can't do it justice in words.
Best part - See above
Dodgy sequals - None that I know of.

16 - In the Mouth of Madness (1996)
The gist - Sam Neill again. This time he's a sometimes mad sometimes sane everyday Joe who gets caught up in a plot that quite frankly doesn't make sense. It's creepy though, even if you never do get what's going on.
Best part - Neill watching himself at the cinema
Dodgy sequals - None

15 - Cannibal Holocaust (1978)
The gist - An expedition to find cannibals ends with all concerned actually finding cannibals and then quickly regretting it.
Best part - The slaughter of all the main characters at the end.
Dodgy sequals - "Cannibal holocaust 2", which I haven't seen.

14 - The Fog (1980)
The gist - Several journeyman actors pretend to get frightened by a giant studio smoke machine. Well ok, it's better than that.
Best part - The ending, where Blake and his goons come back for the vicar.
Dodgy sequals - None. Director John Carpenter hates sequals.

13 - 28 Days Later (2003)
The gist - Irishman dressed as hospital patient turns into Rambo to survive zombie plague. Then he falls in love with his completely unattractive G.I Jane sidekick.
Best part - The shots of the empty London streets. It was like this when Lara went to the captial in TR3, except in that instance it wasn't intended.
Dodgy sequals - None.

12 - The Thing (1982)
The gist - Kurt Russell and science chums battle shape-shifting body-snatching beast inside isolated ice research facility.
Best part - Radio operator "Windows" comically standing still so he can be eaten (rather than just run away).
Dodgy sequals - None.

11 - The Audition (1999)
The gist - Crazed beauty infects the life of a bored businessman and then proceeds to torture him (literally)in one of the most disturbing household break-in sequences you will ever see.
Best part - The dilemma you are presented with at the end of wondering whether or not the whole thing was just dreamed.
Dodgy sequals - None that I know of.

10 - The Ring (2003, USA)
The gist - Teenage hermit badly in need of a hairbrush comes back from the dead to make a chilling video tape.
Best part - When Rachel watches the creepy video for the first time.
Dodgy sequals - "The Ring 2", which apparantly is not as good.

9 - Friday the 13th Part 8 : Jason Takes Manhatton (1989)
The gist - Ice hockey goalie goes on the rampage after learning he is to be dropped for the weekend fixture. No that doesn't sound right. This is the best Jason film of the lot, anyway.
Best part - Jason gets punched about 900 times by an amatuer boxer before then defeating his opponent with just one blow.
Dodgy sequals - Oh jesus. How long have you got?

8 - Prince of Darkness (1987)
The gist - The AntiChrist comes to earth via a bottle of green goo. Then Alice Cooper realises he can't act.
Best part - The creepy video from the future.
Dodgy sequals - None

7 - The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1976)
The gist - Psychotic bloodline terrorises a bus-load of screaming ScoobyDo kids.
Best part - "Kill her grandad!"
Dodgy sequals - Quite a few. None can match the original.

6 - Blair Witch Project (1999)
The gist - Home made video film that shows us a lot of bickering and not much evidence of an actual witch.
Best part - The ending in the cellar.
Dodgy sequals - One dreadful one. Then they gave up.

5 - Saw (2004)
The gist - Two men are forced to spend some quality time together in a dirty bathroom. Thankfully, their mutual attraction to each other is kept in check by chains and handcuffs.
Best Part - Flashback sequences showing some of Jigsaw's past victims.
Dodgy sequals - "Saw 2" is currently showing and has generous reviews.

4 - Scream (1996)
The gist - Teenagers with dubious motives decide to murder local towns folk wearing even more dubious halloween costumes.
Best Part - Return of The Fonz!!
Dodgy sequals - Two absolutely attrocious sequals. Avoid them at all costs.

3 - Halloween (1978)
The gist - Six year old boy murders his sister and then some time later discovers you really can drive 150 miles without having ever taken a single driving lesson.
Best part - The end chase sequence.
Dodgy sequals - Several have been made. Some are good. Others (H20 being one of them) are awful.

2 - Candyman (1992)
The gist - Man with hook stalks the dreams of council estate nobodies. How little league can you get! I would have set my sights on White House officials, personally.
Best part - Woman wakes up in the shower and sees a severed dog head. Yuck.
Dodgy sequals - Two that I'm aware of. They're not much cop though.

AND THE WINNER IS...........

1 - Dawn of the Dead (1978)
The gist - The title says it all. Four survivors do some serious 'surviving' inside zombie-plagued shopping mall. Glorious glorious glorious film.
Best part - Invasion of the hell's angels.
Dodgy sequals - Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead would eventually follow. They're not bad.

[ 29. October 2005, 02:32: Message edited by: Scottlee ]

Smith will Suffice
29-10-05, 01:39
whaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?

no Jacob's Ladder!?!?!?

thats the greatest man! come on!

if u havent seen it, go get it NOW!

-Smith

croft28
29-10-05, 03:50
Some of my favs:

- The Exorcist

- The Ring (U.S)

- A Nightmare On Elm St

- Scream

- Scream 2

- Wolf Creek

- 28 Days Later

xMiSsCrOfTx
29-10-05, 03:55
The Ring is without a doubt my all time favourite scary movie. I need to rent it for Halloween. :D

tlr online
29-10-05, 04:38
13 - 28 Days Later (2003)

This was written by Alex Garland, acclaimed author of The Beach (fav. book) and The Tesseract, and IMHO one of the most underrated movies. It was also directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, The Beach)

Other top horror flicks of mine are SAW, The Ring, The Nightmare On Elm Stree saga. Blair Witch was not only awesome, but an incredibly innovative piece of film. Shame they murdered it with the second.

Not so sure Jacob's Ladder falls into the category of horror (?) but it's an awesome movie all the same.

There was another horror flick, which involved a highway town, some sewer which led to a basement and lots of bodies on the walls, and one of the characters ended up as a bird. Can't for the life of me remember the title (there was a sequel) but it was pretty damn good.

tlr online
29-10-05, 04:40
An interesting site for horror reviews is: http://www.horrorview.com

Smith will Suffice
29-10-05, 05:35
it wasnt jeepers creepers was it TLR?

-Smith

tlr online
29-10-05, 06:55
Smith! Thank you! Been trying to remember the name for an hour! Cool movie. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Chocobo155
29-10-05, 13:23
The japanese Ring is much much bette imo, but the remakes good tooo. My favourite horror has t be....Saw! I wonna see the sequel, but Im only 15 http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Kiss-Bite
29-10-05, 14:17
I like a lot of horror films, 28 Days Later, The Ring, American Werewolf in London & Ginger Snaps were all great!. The Others, even though this was certificate 12, I thought it was really creepy. Hmm... so many more..... Oh The Audition is very scary!

A personal favourite of mine is, Ridley Scott's ALIEN.

Has anybody seen Night-watch? It looks visually very good.

[ 29. October 2005, 15:31: Message edited by: Kiss-Bite ]

deepbluesea
29-10-05, 14:51
Favorite has to be 28 days later , there's something about zombies that scare the http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/censored.gif out of me.
And the ring was good too.

keebz
29-10-05, 15:34
whats wolf creek about?? never heard of it.

keebz
29-10-05, 15:36
whats wolf creek about?? never heard of it.

Angel666
29-10-05, 16:36
I love Saw. I cannot see that movie enough! The Ring scared the shnikes outta me. When my hair is wet and I put it in front of my face my friends say that I look just like Samara. Identity was creepy. Silence of the Lambs was scary. I love Hannibal Lectar. A dodgy sequal and a prequal have been made but Silence of the Lambs top them both. Tremors was good. The 2nd and 3rd one werent terrible but the fourth one and the tv series sucked bigtime. I didn't like Cabin Fever. Signs scared me. I hated those freakin aliens. *shivers* I'm gonna go watch it now. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

AnthonyShock1515
29-10-05, 16:50
I hated SAW!
It was poop.

This is my 5 worst and 5 best horrors, Ive seen
Good:
Scream 1(frieghteneing
Scream 3(excellent closure to the series)
Blair Witch Project(very scary considering its a real story)
I know what you did last summer(burst of horror and lots of surprise attacks!)

Sixth Sence

Bad:
Swimfan(nothing scary about it)
Saw(cliche)
End of Days(very holy(
Signs(too gay)
Jarassic park(too surreal)

Smith will Suffice
29-10-05, 17:04
correction anthony - saw one was fantastic,

now saw 2....THAT was poop.

how the hell is saw a cliche?

-Smith

[ 29. October 2005, 18:05: Message edited by: Agent Smith ]

BoyTRaider
29-10-05, 17:30
Originally posted by AnthonyShock1515:

Jarassic park(too surreal) How do you consider Jurassic Park a horror film?

Mona Sax
29-10-05, 17:42
Originally posted by AnthonyShock1515:
Blair Witch Project(very scary considering its a real story)The story is not real, the filmmakers spread that rumor as a publicity stunt.

I agree that I Know What You Did Last Summer was excellent. Unfortunately it came too late, so I'm afraid it will forever stand in the shadow of the Scream trilogy (loved the first two, but I'm not too fond of Scream 3 - hardly any scary moments).

[ 29. October 2005, 18:49: Message edited by: MonA saX ]

scion05
29-10-05, 19:05
3 - Halloween (1978)
agreeed !

lol heres mine btw if u dnt like halloween look away ;)

top 9 halloweens

- Halloween 3 : Season of the witch - oh dear...
- Halloween Resurrection - not bad
- Halloween 5 - i like it, but theirs bettter
- Halloween h2o - I like it !
- Halloween 2 - mint ! but gets abit ....zzzzzzzz-
-Halloween - I luv it !
- Halloween 6 T-Cut - Pretty good and best
soundtrack
- Halloween 6 Producers Cut - Cool
Halloween 4 - The best and the ending haunts you
forever !
Others -

Texas Chainsaw - both of them are cool !

Ringu - ooooo creepie

dark water < japanese > - very eeerie

what lies beneath - michell piffer is great ( sorry about the taky miky lol that wot my dad calls her

friday the 13th part 3 - aaargh terrified me at the end the first timE !

etc !

[ 29. October 2005, 20:07: Message edited by: scion05 ]

Celephais
29-10-05, 19:27
I'm not really a big fan of horror movies but some ones that I have seen that have seemed well done are

The Haunting (1963)and Haunted (1996)- although they are in part pyschological dramas too.

Alien (1st only)
The Ring
The Thing (1951 version)
The Fog
The Changeling (starring George C Scott)

There was also a version Dracula made in the late 70s or early 80s starring Laurence Olivier. Normally Dracula just make me roll my eyes, but the scene in the crypt where he sees the reflection of dead Lucy in the water is creepy. Athough of course it breaks the rule that vampires don't have reflections!

Halloween just bored me, although it has a kind of nostalgia value for the late 70s. The Hammer Movies aren't scary but entertaining in a kitch way.

And actually the creepist thing I've seen on TV is not a movie but an episode of The Twilight Zone about a doll called Talking Tina, starring Telly Savalas. The cute doll says "My name is Talking Tina" to everyone, except to the nasty father, where it says "My name is Talking Tina and I don't like you"
and later "My name is Talking Tina and I'm going to kill you"

I tell a lie. The scariest thing is Scooby Doo.

Anyway if you haven't seen it, try The Haunting. (1963 version only) There's virtually no explicit "horror" but the atmosphere is quite creepy. If you don't like it, feel free to kick my ass, I don't mind.

[ 29. October 2005, 20:38: Message edited by: Celephais ]

Mona Sax
29-10-05, 20:10
Originally posted by Celephais:
The Thing (1951 version)Oh yes. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif Still a great pleasure to watch today.

Tombcool
30-10-05, 02:17
My favourites:
Nightmare on Elm Street (how can anyone forget that movie?!)
Hellraiser
Ginger Snaps (all time favourite)
Dawn of The Dead
Dog Soldiers
The Cube
The Relic
Shaun of The Dead
Resident Evil (both movies)
American Werewolf in London
The Fly

Horror Movies I disliked:
Doom (which I saw today, Resident Evil ripoff)
Cabin Fever (what...the...hell?!)
Howling (pathetic)
The Blob
Boogeyman
Jeepers Creepers
House of Wax (Paris Hilton dying was the only good thing about it)
I Know What You Did...oh you guys know what the rest of is...
All of slasher flicks (Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc...)

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

[ 30. October 2005, 03:24: Message edited by: Tombcool ]

xMiSsCrOfTx
30-10-05, 02:21
I haven't seen the Japanese version of The Ring (Ringu). Is it rentable? Or do I have to order it off the internet to watch it? If anyone knows, please tell me! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Liberty Ashford
30-10-05, 03:55
I hated 28 days later. It was boring, and pretty ****. My favourite movie is the remade Dawn of the Dead. Thats awesome! I cant wait to see the Silent hill movie. But they made it a different name, but the same characters and storyline. Andyone know what its called? Its meant to start with a C...

Angel666
30-10-05, 04:01
I just saw 28 Days Later like an hour ago for the first time. I loved it. The puking blood I could've done without but what are you gonna do? I too, am curious how Saw was cliche'. I've never seen or heard about anything like it.

scion05
30-10-05, 08:09
All of slasher flicks (Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc...) ur heading for one ! only jokinlol
hmmmm i have ringu and i bought it from a shop ?