PDA

View Full Version : Kill all known Spyware D.E.A.D

tlr online
20-02-03, 00:09
Lavasoft have released an updated version of their spyware removal software AdAware. Here's the press release... While the Internet is a powerful resource and provides users with many useful and often entertaining things to see and do, it also has its dark side.

Most people are familiar with freeware, shareware, cookies, media players, interactive content, and file sharing. What they may not realize is that some of the aforementioned may contain code or components that allow the developers of these applications and tools to actually collect and disseminate information about those using them.

They can track your surfing habits, abuse your Internet connection by sending this data to a third party, profile your shopping preferences, hijack your browser start page or pages, alter important system files, and can do this without your knowledge or permission. The security and privacy implications of these exploits should be quite obvious and undesirable on any system or network!

Lavasoft is the industry leader and most respected provider of anti Trackware solutions. We have developed several applications that will provide you with the means to keep your computer or network free of these compromising and intrusive threats to your privacy.

Head on over to LAVASOFT.DE (http://www.lavasoft.de/) and rid your machine of this digital pestilence.

Trinity34
20-02-03, 02:35
tlr do you use this?

tlr online
20-02-03, 02:38
Yeah, that and Search & Destroy. Both are good apps and work fine on Windows XP. You'll have a fit the first time you run it... you won't believe how much spyware is about. *cough* Real Player *splutter*

Trinity34
20-02-03, 02:47
What? Real Player? No way!!! Why did you install it in the first place? :D

tlr online
20-02-03, 02:50
Yup. For real! ;) Go take a read about Real Networks HERE (http://grc.com/downloaders.htm)

b1dc
20-02-03, 02:52
Real Player is truly evil :mad:

You wouldn't believe the number of ways it can mess up your PC !! I never let it near my PC, but have spent far too long sorting out other bizarre problems on other peoples machines caused by Real.....

Sorry, just had to have a little rant there ;)

tlr online
20-02-03, 02:54
Rant away! Unfortunately, most net radio stations will only stream their content using Evil Real Networks. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Trinity34
20-02-03, 02:59
Is there any other popular software to watch out for?

b1dc
20-02-03, 03:02
Exactly!!

There are still far too many sites streaming their media content with Real - you would have thought they'd have realised that a lot of people will click on rather than install Real......

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:03
Most companies would argue their products did not include Spyware, and really it's a matter of definition. There's a certain amount of stigma attached to "spyware", so ppl like Real would probably use the word "online features." Go run Search & Destroy and see how many flags Windows Media Player raises.

b1dc
20-02-03, 03:04
Originally posted by Trinity34:
Is there any other popular software to watch out for?Kazaa - though the 'lite' version is 'supposedly' minus the nasty stuff. And anything Gator is very bad news too....

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:05
Indeed. Don't touch Kazaa with a bargepole!!! You're right about the lite version. It's pretty good, and most of the spyware has been ripped right out.

Trinity34
20-02-03, 03:06
Would you consider cookies a form of spyware?

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:07
Hmm. Cookies are a way of tracking your movements across certain web sites. They're very popular with ad companies. Of course, sites like this forum also use cookies to "remember" your password.

b1dc
20-02-03, 03:09
If you must use p2p apps, and fully understand the risks, WinMX is probably a marginally safer bet - emphasis on the marginal though....

Originally posted by Trinity34:
Would you consider cookies a form of spyware?Yep - I forget the name now (tlr will remind me! Ad-tech?) but those ad banners across the top of web pages place nice little tracking cookies so they can 'target' the ads you see based on your surfing habits.

Trinity34
20-02-03, 03:10
.... and to remember what else? Which site you visit before coming to TRC? :D

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:11
Ash. Yeah, there are a few. Doubleclick, Ad Force, Engage. They all use cookies to "tailor your advertising experience" as if a billion pop-up windows wasn't enough.

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:12
Trinners. We can find that out without having to use cookies ;) You naugty naughty girl! :D

b1dc
20-02-03, 03:15
Double-click - thats it!

Originally posted by tlr online:
Trinners. We can find that out without having to use cookies ;) You naugty naughty girl! :D Yep, backend web stat/tracker software will tell tlr all he needs to know about where you've come from :D ;)

Trinity34
20-02-03, 03:15
tlr you are giving me a bad reputation. Why would I be naughty? :D

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:16
hehe. Sometimes I'm truly shocked ;)

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:16
Ash. Are you up for some Sum Of All Fears co-op?

Trinity34
20-02-03, 03:17
I think after this thread you are going to make your 50,000 posts tonight! :rolleyes:

b1dc
20-02-03, 03:21
Originally posted by tlr online:
Ash. Are you up for some Sum Of All Fears co-op?Alas, it's dial-up for me :( Otherwise i'd have loved to!

tlr online
20-02-03, 03:21
OK. no probs.

Duffman
20-02-03, 10:05
i feel pretty safe here from spyware... altho i know im not... i dont use real player full stop...

well kazaa i use like this:

-it doesnt start on startup
-run it, jump into search quickly
-search, download
-find more resources, find more resources...
-close immediately after download complete...

i feel fairly safe with it like that...

as for the web... its a "full on" place and people are trying to get information about you everywhich way... even your ISP monitors traffic packets...

i might look into this software tho, but as a software developer i know how easy it is to make avaliable holes in your software to let yourself in... its very easy... trust is something the internet has not got from me, and i feel never will...

-Duffman-

laracroft8290
20-02-03, 15:35
Just downloaded it. Very nice. I've used it before. It only found some cookies from places like doubleclick etc. Anyways WinMX is about the only file sharing app you can use that is spyware free. I've never had any problems with them. Its a small file download too, like 770K.

Duffman - Even if you don't have Kazaa start on startup it still has programs and registry keys that run in the background seperate from the actual kazaa program that can report to third parties as well as monitor information about you.

The only thing that can ever get rid of them, is either use AdAware like tlr said, or do a clean install of your OS, cause they put stuff on your computer that is deep inside your file system, it doesn't have keywords like "kazaa" or "sherman networks" or anything of the sort.

For file sharing WinMX is cool, its decentralized, it has very good download and upload speeds, no spyware (that i'm aware of), and its extremely easy to use.

On the other hand if you don't trust them there is another file sharing app called FreeNet it uses command lines sorta like linux or dos would use to make connections, retrieve files, and upload files.

If you want URLs to either reply here...

tlr online
21-02-03, 00:13
Duffman. Indeed, remember the internet was never designed as a commercial venture, so security was never paramount.

Trinity34
21-02-03, 03:42
Originally posted by Duffman:
i feel pretty safe here from spywareYou feel safe here even with tlr around? :D Don't you know he follows you everywhere? :D

tlr online
21-02-03, 04:22
I'm the all-seeing eye of the forum ;)

Trinity34
21-02-03, 04:27
You just made me think of something. That "all-seeing eye" from the movie would make a great avatar. Would you like it? If not, I might use it. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

tlr online
21-02-03, 05:59
I'll stick with my green X http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Duffman
21-02-03, 08:34
well, i have just come online after having a dredful day... :mad:

im not at all saying its your fault tlr... not ever mate, but after downloading and using ad-adaware, going to sleep and waking to use an absolutely buggered computer... firstly it wouldnt get past the logon, then when it did nothing would work, not all my tsr programs loaded and some other trippy stuff happened...

i went into safe mode (thank god for it) and went thorugh some stuff, then remembered that i installed adaware and that may have been the cause and went into it and restored the quarentined things... i then returned to normal mode to find it still not working (that process didnt do anything)... then i went into safe mode (best thing MS ever did)... and did a system restore of two days ago (thank god for that addition to WinXP/2000)...

that fixed it and i can now use my computer (hours later)... adaware seemed to do damage rather than help my system... oh well...

sorry tlr, nothing personal of course mate, but i dont like it at all... thumbs down to adaware...

Yes i know kazaa can do things like that, dont think im nieve, but if taken precautions of it... also i have two firewalls, two virus scanners (upto-date) and knowledge of things that can harm my computer and how to avoid them... i do maintenance of my PC each week, backing up files, cleaning registry, virus scanning, drive scanning and many other tasks to keep my system in tiptop shape, free of most spyware...

-sorry agian tlr... dont take it personally mate...just hurt me insteed of helping-

dmc444
21-02-03, 11:13
Hi Duffman,
You are not the first and you won't be the last person to have problems with "Adaware" If you download programs like this from sites like "ZDnet" they have user reports which warn you of possible problems. I use "Adaware 5.83" without any problems but have not upgraded to the latest version (6) as it seems a lot of people are having nasty problems with it.

laracroft8290
21-02-03, 13:23
Well you have to be careful with the "suspect" files that it displays. Like I said after it has scanned my computer it just found some cookies from ad banner companies and a program from

"Alexa that is installed with MSIE and some Microsoft updates. Alexa is the "what's related link" on your internet explorer toolbar. Alexa uses web crawler (bot) technology." That's what the program told me.

I wouldn't just automatically delete or quarantine every file that it shows me, without doing a little research. Also if you never use that "what's related" link in IE you don't really have a problem. And the cookies can be delete by clearing out your cookie list in IE. So sometimes AdAware is good sometimes its not.

no offense to anyone http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

ttyl
lc8290