PDA

View Full Version : UNCONSISTENT MALFUNCTION -- BEGGING FOR HELP

myst2003
27-07-03, 09:03
First, hi to all. new kid in the block.

Second, I have been trying to find an answer to my trouble in the forum without much luck before posting.

What's ****ing me off is that I used to be able to play TRAOD (up to a certain point at least) and now it doesn't even start.

The trouble is that after the introductory clip the menu page is supposed to load. I get only sound and the backgroud image (round blueish drawing) but nothing else. It seems to respond to controls as I can hear the clicking sounds but no response of the game.

System:
AMD Athlon at 2.0 MHz (real clock speed)
RAM 512 Kb
VGA GForce 4 MX 440 64 Mb
Sound device integrated in ASUS MB A7V8X-X

The steps of the failure:

1. I installed the game for the first time. It worked. After level rooftops the animation got a little funny graphics-wise and as soon as the clip at the old woman's apartment starts I hear the sound but the image freezes at the first frame (intercom). Then there's no way to get the game running again. This was absolutely consistent as it happened every time. But it never happened wih the introductory movie.

2. I loaded the TRAOD patch. Then the game started once but never again. Would not work at all. Stops befor the "Press any key" screen.

3. I updated the VGA drivers. No use.

4. I re-installed the game (no patch, maybe that was it). No use.

Note: It used to crash when I accessed the menu from the game but I didn't have time to figure out a consistent pattern as it happened just now and then.

ANY IDEAS ????????

Thx

Bokkie
27-07-03, 10:49
Hi myst2003, welcome to the forum http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

My girlfriend has the same motherboard (ASUS MB A7V8X-X) with integrated sound device. The sound device is VIA AC'97 and the game as working fine after installing the latest audio drivers. Click here (http://www.realtek.com.tw/pctech/pc-drivers1-1.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True) to download.

myst2003
28-07-03, 17:52
Thanks for the good intention, but no use. My driver woked just fine and it is the SoundMax i need. I did try the one you suggested, but of course it did not work 8no sound at all under Windows)

I have the feeling it is all about the VGA but I just can't figure out what is it

Any more ideas to try out?

laracroft8290
28-07-03, 18:07
When starting the game a little box should pop up that says "run game; settings; readme; exit" Click on "settings." A box should pop up. Under the "frame rate compensation" box in the "general" tab, change it to "fast."

That's what worked for me. If you need more help let me know ;)

viper42953
31-07-03, 05:15
Originally posted by myst2003:
First, hi to all. new kid in the block.

Second, I have been trying to find an answer to my trouble in the forum without much luck before posting.

What's ****ing me off is that I used to be able to play TRAOD (up to a certain point at least) and now it doesn't even start.

The trouble is that after the introductory clip the menu page is supposed to load. I get only sound and the backgroud image (round blueish drawing) but nothing else. It seems to respond to controls as I can hear the clicking sounds but no response of the game.

System:
AMD Athlon at 2.0 MHz (real clock speed)
RAM 512 Kb
VGA GForce 4 MX 440 64 Mb
Sound device integrated in ASUS MB A7V8X-X

The steps of the failure:

1. I installed the game for the first time. It worked. After level rooftops the animation got a little funny graphics-wise and as soon as the clip at the old woman's apartment starts I hear the sound but the image freezes at the first frame (intercom). Then there's no way to get the game running again. This was absolutely consistent as it happened every time. But it never happened wih the introductory movie.

2. I loaded the TRAOD patch. Then the game started once but never again. Would not work at all. Stops befor the "Press any key" screen.

3. I updated the VGA drivers. No use.

4. I re-installed the game (no patch, maybe that was it). No use.

Note: It used to crash when I accessed the menu from the game but I didn't have time to figure out a consistent pattern as it happened just now and then.

ANY IDEAS ????????

ThxHi,
I had the same problem happen to me, what I did was un-install the game from the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM, then went to the START/RUN/REGEDIT, found the EDIOS folder and delated it, I then re-booted and re-installed the game. Then the patch after that, But what I would do before you attemp this is to go to the SAVE GAME FOLDER in the EDIOS DIR, copy that and paste it on your desktop, this way you won't lose where you left off...Hope it works for you....
P.S. MAKE A BACKUP OF REGEDIT BEFORE YOU MESS WITH IT, I KNOW HOW TO DO IT BUT IF YOU NOT COMFORTABLE MAKE THE BACK-UP JUST IN CASE....