PDA

View Full Version : New TRL Details- Power Unlimited Magazine

yesrushdt
02-08-05, 17:45
This was translated by someone else so if there are any inaccuracies, don't blame me. :D

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9427/cover80ox.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The last Tomb Raider game, Angel of Darkness, did spoil the reputation of the once so successful gameseries. However, with a new developer at the helm and the promise to return to the roots of the series, Jan and Niels began with a positive presentiment on their review of Tomb Raider Legend. There I stood, on a Tuesday in July, playing the role of girl with guts Lara Croft, in the middle of a jungle and that while I actually was sitting casually in a chair in front of the television. The warm light fell through the foliage on ‘my’ tight skin and I saw wild flowers and long grass wherever I looked. A promising soundtrack was preparing me for what would lie ahead. In 99% of the cases, an Eidos-employee would now have taken the controller from me to make Lara run down the path towards the cliff. But then I would have seen only a glimpse of the well grown environment, the little birds flying about, the smart lightning, the eye-catching glow-effects, the stairs chiselled out in stone, the blurred background and somewhere far away an enormous waterfall with fitting rainbow.

Fortunately the guy of Eidos next to me gave me all opportunity to admire all the aspects of the demo. So instead of a rushed peek of the environment I took my time to examine everything carefully. I turned the camera around Lara and began to investigate her new looks. Here I noticed that the perfect looking Lara who was winking to me on the titlescreen is identical to the figure that is running through the game. After a moment of staying put, Lara started to look around and stretched out what made her breasts to wiggle a bit. Those new breasts, a lot has been written about that already. And most of the time about the fact that they are a bit smaller now. I can assure you though that there’s nothing wrong with them. Or as Jan put it: “A C cup with a push-up bra, and nice and round also!”

Now I had hesitated enough and dove off the cliff and climbed ashore in a new area where the first environmental puzzle was waiting for me.
A dramatically turning camera gave me a subtle hint on how to solve this problem. Climbing was allowed already, some rocks took me high enough to reach a dangling rope. After I jumped with the X button on my controller I automatically grabbed and hanged on the edge of the rock above me. Holding the button longer resulted in a well balanced handstand and an elegant flip.

It may sound a bit ordinary but the difference with the previous Tomb Raider games is huge. In 2003 we were already playing Prince of Persia as fluent as a ballet dancer, but in Angel of Darkness we, as a figure of speech, still needed to hold two buttons, steer upwards and press a third button to perform a jump. That’s old fashioned and way to mechanic to make any fluent gameplay possible, especially if you are used to better controls. For Legend the controls have been changed hugely. Accordingly the feeling of the game is much more natural. However, in this demo some analogue movements seemed still a bit rusty and the timing for some jumps could be too precise. But the direction the developers have chosen is very promising for the final game.

Well, I was still hanging there on that rope and made swing right into a strange looking rock. The whole thing started to turn. I had put an imposing mechanism into process. The music began to play louder, chains moved, wheels were turning, shapes and figures shove in and out. The splashing water of the waterfall spread and revealed an ancient temple. The first shock came in the deep in the dungeons of the temple. I was just admiring the details of the decorations and vegetation on the walls, the special atmosphere (things like light-effects with twirling pieces of dust) and for example the fact that Lara is actually looking at every object or interesting view she is passing. (We saw that before in ‘Grim Fandango’ and ‘Zelda: The Wind Waker’) What the shock was about? In that ancient network of corridors I met a gentleman. A gentleman with a gun…

That was of course the chance to test the new aiming-system. Because they finally dropped the idea of holding R1 to tab the square button, didn’t they? The change isn’t that big actually. R1 does now lock your view on the lost baddie. That means you will still press that shoulder-button if you are shooting around. But this time you don’t necessarily have to. And if you do, you have the extra advantage of being able to strafe around your enemy. Combine this with the possibility to slide towards the badguy, using the circle button (if you hit him he flies up in the air) or making a John Woo-like jump while shooting and circling around. Now you have combat that is simple to perform and feel very powerful. Also on this point Tomb Raider is hugely modernised and much more fun then before.

The environments where I was rushing trough were remarkably changing. I saw traditional tombs, temples and ruins. But modern settings like enormous skys****ers and in Tokyo and a factory in Russia gave a whole other feeling.
The traps and spikes deliver obstacles in the temples and in the Russian factory I had smoking tubes and steamy pipes I had to jump and roll over. Again totally different was the Western-like goldmine village in the background of something that looked most like the Rocky Mountains. Here it looked more like a free roaming element had made his debut in Tomb Raider. Lara could talk with bystanders and other NPC’s. A little sniff of GTA perhaps, or am I getting too euphoric now? The next moment Lara found herself in a moving train with on both sides impressing mountains. Much more then Lara walking around in an empty train I didn’t see. But my imagination took me far away; will this be the Wild West shootout in a moving train? Are we climbing on the roof? Are we jumping and climbing from carriage to carriage? Is the train about to derail and do we have to race to the front carriage to pull the brake? Or maybe the train is just a moment of rest to take a breather and chat with the other passengers? Wild guessing is always fun.

Speaking of vehicles, Lara will at least have a very fast motorbike. She lies completely flat on it while making her way past obstacles, bridges and piled up boxes. While driving, Lara can take out her guns and shoot. This suggests that we will see a combination of race and shooting elements in the final game. The hand-to-hand combat from Angel of Darkness is dropped. In Legend, Lara will have her famous twin pistols again, plus machineguns and rocket launcher. Also here the animations of the shooting and reloading looked superbly.

MizzCroft007
02-08-05, 17:57
Sweet, thanks for sharing, gorgous cover :D

interstellardave
02-08-05, 17:59
Thanks for sharing! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

That's just the kind of awe-inspired commentary (from one who has apparently played the game!) that keeps me excited! :D

Angel666
02-08-05, 17:59
Awesome article. Although I will miss being able to punch out enemies i am more excited to play than ever.

larasformerlover
02-08-05, 18:25
So they have kept some RPG elements such as conversing with other human identities. I can just see Lara on a train asking the server for beans on toast...

Greenkey2
02-08-05, 18:29
Yay! More good press - and rising expectations! :D

Cosmo
02-08-05, 18:29
I translated that. Check at www.laracroftonline.com (http://www.laracroftonline.com)
I hope i didnt make any mistakes. I typed quite fast.
Hope you all enjoy it http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
The text by Niels Roodenburg and Jan Meyroos

[ 02. August 2005, 19:35: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

MikeJM
02-08-05, 18:36
Fantastic!
More positive reviews! And revealing more locations! How good is this game gonna be! Woo-Hooo!!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

FallenxFromxLight
02-08-05, 18:43
Okay hold on, this is awkward. Is this magazine 'reliable' because there are a lot of things that were mentioned in this thing, that were not mentioned in previous reports.

For starters, no innovations from AOD are supposed to make their way over to Legend, and yet Lara has clearly been stated as being able to talk to NPCs. Furthermore, this guy played a lot more levels then anyone else got to, granted he got the levels correct and a playable version IS coming out soon, but till now the only demo that existed was the levels of ghana.

Also, hand to hand combat was NOT dropped as a crystal dynamics person said it's there to 'confuse and incapacitate your enemies so you can fire off a shot at close range'.

I'd be extremely happy if a vast majority of this article was true (minus the lack of hand to hand combat) but some parts just dont seem right, such as the using of x to jump. It just doesnt seem like this article is reliable. Do any screens exist in the mag?

We'll have to see.

[ 02. August 2005, 19:45: Message edited by: Derek -FallenxFromxLight- ]

Cosmo
02-08-05, 18:46
Power Unlimited is a leading gaming mag in The Netherlands. The writers of this article also have their own television show.
I wouldnt translate anything unreliable http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

larasformerlover
02-08-05, 18:48
Thank you, by the way, Cosmo for the scan and translation.

FallenxFromxLight
02-08-05, 18:53
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Power Unlimited is a leading gaming mag in The Netherlands. The writers of this article also have their own television show.
I wouldnt translate anything unreliable http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Oh I never said you weren't trustworthy. It's just weird because some of the new facts go directely against what's been said so far.

Oh well, the game could always change http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif . Still..any new screens in there? :D .

interstellardave
02-08-05, 18:55
Originally posted by Derek -FallenxFromxLight-:
Okay hold on, this is awkward. Is this magazine 'reliable' because there are a lot of things that were mentioned in this thing, that were not mentioned in previous reports.

For starters, no innovations from AOD are supposed to make their way over to Legend, and yet Lara has clearly been stated as being able to talk to NPCs. Furthermore, this guy played a lot more levels then anyone else got to, granted he got the levels correct and a playable version IS coming out soon, but till now the only demo that existed was the levels of ghana.

Also, hand to hand combat was NOT dropped as a crystal dynamics person said it's there to 'confuse and incapacitate your enemies so you can fire off a shot at close range'.

I'd be extremely happy if a vast majority of this article was true (minus the lack of hand to hand combat) but some parts just dont seem right, such as the using of x to jump. It just doesnt seem like this article is reliable. Do any screens exist in the mag?

We'll have to see. He said he played it on a "tuesday in July"--ie, well after E3 and most of the other reports about this game. Could've been last week for all we know.

Second, the part about talking to NPC's could very well be in the game. I think the "nothing from AOD" line we've heard has been overblown on these forums a little bit. Talking to NPC's would be alright in moderation if it worked well.

He said that the hand to hand from AOD was dropped, probably meaning that it's implemented very differently (which it should be). Crystal has made the hand to hand less effective, which makes sense since she never did it at all in previous games so we shouldn't now be made to believe she's great with her dukes!

FallenxFromxLight
02-08-05, 19:11
Originally posted by interstellardave:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Derek -FallenxFromxLight-:

We'll have to see. He said he played it on a "tuesday in July"--ie, well after E3 and most of the other reports about this game. Could've been last week for all we know.

Second, the part about talking to NPC's could very well be in the game. I think the "nothing from AOD" line we've heard has been overblown on these forums a little bit. Talking to NPC's would be alright in moderation if it worked well.

He said that the hand to hand from AOD was dropped, probably meaning that it's implemented very differently (which it should be). Crystal has made the hand to hand less effective, which makes sense since she never did it at all in previous games so we shouldn't now be made to believe she's great with her dukes! </font>[/QUOTE]You know, you're right. Everyone commented on the demo at E3, it has now been at least a month since that demo..like you were probably trying to say..a lot can be changed about a game in a month.

Personally I LOVE the fact you can talk to NPCs. As long as its implemented in a good way that doesn't detract from the game I'll be fine (AOD cut it to a letterbox which i honestly didnt like that much). I wonder if it'll be text (i.e. Final Fantasy) or actually recorded conversations going back and forth too.

Nice to hear about the train scene too, I wonder if the environments change in real time.

Hmmm...must see video of all this.

Angel666
02-08-05, 19:13
She has to be great with her dukes though. Being able to kick A$$ without a gun is kick A$$ and Lara is KICK A$$. And she did knock out the cowboy (dont remember his name) in TR1 with a kick in a cutscene. If that made any sense whatsoever.

Angel666
02-08-05, 19:15
She has to be great with her dukes though. Being able to kick A$$ without a gun is kick A$$ and Lara is KICK A$$. And she did knock out the cowboy (dont remember his name) in TR1 with a kick in a cutscene. If that made any sense whatsoever. I am coffee deprived, you can excuse anything i say for that reason.

EDIT: sorry, double post, I am not very coherent at the moment

[ 02. August 2005, 20:16: Message edited by: Angel666 ]

Opie
02-08-05, 19:26
Yes, a video would be nice! Thanks for the info yesrushdt!

daggertail
02-08-05, 19:28
Gosh..It's quite big. thank you for the text but is there anything new in it? I don't havemuch time now and just ask.

SMSL
02-08-05, 19:33
Read the posts, they tell you what's new in it.

UNDERTAKER
02-08-05, 19:41
Hmmmm http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

Any chance of scanning the entire article for us Cosmo? I refuse to believe that after dishing out all this new info, they have no new screens.

If this is true, then the Russian factory sounds alot like the "snow level" screens we have seen which looks like a tomb converted to a factory, with all the crates lying around etc.

The wild west area sounds the most bizarre to me and almost makes me doubt the authenticity of the article. It seems strange that an ancient English artefact would take Lara all the way to the Wild west.

Hopefully, some future UK publications can help confirm some of these deatils.

FallenxFromxLight
02-08-05, 19:44
Originally posted by UNDERTAKER:
Hmmmm http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

Any chance of scanning the entire article for us Cosmo? I refuse to believe that after dishing out all this new info, they have no new screens.

If this is true, then the Russian factory sounds alot like the "snow level" screens we have seen which looks like a tomb converted to a factory, with all the crates lying around etc.

The wild west area sounds the most bizarre to me and almost makes me doubt the authenticity of the article. It seems strange that an ancient English artefact would take Lara all the way to the Wild west.

Hopefully, some future UK publications can help confirm some of these deatils. The coal mining town is shown in the first trailer I believe where Lara does a roll under an old wooden door that leads to a cavern.

Still, I'd be surprised if they lacked new screens.

xXEmpty SoulXx
02-08-05, 19:44
Interesting article.

thesmallprint
02-08-05, 19:49
Thanks for posting http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

UNDERTAKER
02-08-05, 19:51
Not sure derek. I believe that the old wooden door is part of the Peru/bolivia jungle level. Its also shown in the second trailer. There is nothing 'western' about it far as I can tell.

Kapitein Iglo
02-08-05, 19:52
That magazine is published in Holland. I dislike that magazine and they guys who write in it, I don't trust them.

[ 02. August 2005, 20:57: Message edited by: Kapitein Iglo ]

Tombcool
02-08-05, 20:01
What caught my attention was...

....the interaction with bystanders and NPCs and a moving train...

AWESOME! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

XxxxLaraxxxX
02-08-05, 20:16
Would someone really write a fake article and make stuff up? The train sounded like a regular train and he was just speculating about it seeming wild west.

miufs
02-08-05, 20:42
Jump with the X????
It used to be the square!!!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif

Opie
02-08-05, 20:45
Hmm, I don't think they would make up this stuff. I mean, they're sending it to the public to read and that would be wrong doing that to the public. That's just what I think.

Cosmo
02-08-05, 20:51
I can scan the pages. But it wouldnt make much sense. They didnt have any new screenies and the text is in Dutch so 98% of you wont be able to read it.
@Kapitein Iglo, I dont know much about the backgrounds of PU. I always considered them reliable. But if you have proof they arent you might be right. The other info they had matched perfectly with what we heard before.

UNDERTAKER
02-08-05, 21:32
I didn't say I thought it was fake. Just strange. The thought of Lara in the wild west is just a bit weird.

It would be greatly appreciated if you scanned the pages for us Cosmo. Even though we wouldn't understand the article, it would be good to have a solid source for this info. I could then add it to the 'facts and features' thread.

It would at least silence the critics who doubt the article!

So scanning it would be great. Thanks.

Cosmo
02-08-05, 21:47
It will be published soon at my home site LCO. Of which I'm moderator. You guys can put it up here anytime with our credits. Thanks.

Lleonard Pler
02-08-05, 21:56
Wow. Such a great review, full of exciting facts. It seems like the reporter could play all (or most of) the levels of the game!

The next moment Lara found herself in a moving train with on both sides impressing mountains. Much more then Lara walking around in an empty train I didn’t see. But my imagination took me far away; will this be the Wild West shootout in a moving train? Are we climbing on the roof? Are we jumping and climbing from carriage to carriage? Is the train about to derail and do we have to race to the front carriage to pull the brake?Didn't we see this exact thing at TR: The Last Revelation? I hope this TR:Legend level is as good as the TLR one.

The Western goldmine made me think about the possibility of Lara being able to travel in time in this game? I don't think there are many goldmines nowadays.

daggertail
02-08-05, 22:09
Nice...I read it finally....and don't cae about X or O. I will play the game on PC.

in_tux
02-08-05, 22:19
Some of the things that excite me:

After I jumped with the X button on my controller I automatically grabbed and hanged on the edge of the rock above me. Holding the button longer resulted in a well balanced handstand and an elegant flip.

Combine this with the possibility to slide towards the badguy, using the circle button (if you hit him he flies up in the air) or making a John Woo-like jump while shooting and circling around. Now you have combat that is simple to perform and feel very powerful.

Again totally different was the Western-like goldmine village in the background of something that looked most like the Rocky Mountains. Here it looked more like a free roaming element had made his debut in Tomb Raider. Lara could talk with bystanders and other NPC’s. A little sniff of GTA perhaps, or am I getting too euphoric now?

I am doubtful though.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

in_tux

Camera Obscura
02-08-05, 23:29
Yes, doubtful it is. Goldmine? Train? Russia? Factory? Too much new info in so little time especially since it wasn't in anything big like E3 or stated by Eidos/ CD themselves.

BoyTRaider
02-08-05, 23:47
It sounds a bit strange. But I think that it might be a reliable source! So, I am kind of really excited right now.

Camera Obscura
02-08-05, 23:49
Unless someone else here has that same article and can translate, then don't get your hopes up.

croft28
03-08-05, 00:05
Cool. Thanks for that.

Tomb Raider 5194
03-08-05, 00:24
Thanks alot for posting that was an awesome article!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

FallenxFromxLight
03-08-05, 00:34
Undertaker, the wild west thing might be one of those 'lost in translation' things. He might have meant to say the train ride reminded him of the wild west, but not that she actually WAS in a wild west location.

I say this because the whole talk of little villages and rocky mountain like mountains made me think, and it sounds a lot like one of the confirmed locations called Bolivia, take a look:

http://www.condorjourneys-adventures.com/images/bolivia_sajama.jpg
The mountain.

http://www.ride395.com/images/bolivia05.jpg
Village that lies within the mountains.

Perhaps our dutch friend could be describing the bolivia levels?

Angel666
03-08-05, 01:45
The buttons do sound odd but can't you change them? That would make sense. Man, I am more desperate than ever to get my hands on this game.

FallenxFromxLight
03-08-05, 03:13
Nobody's commented on my Bolivia theory! Psssh.

SMSL
03-08-05, 03:20
*Whispering* That's probably because no one can know it for sure if the theory is right yet.

FallenxFromxLight
03-08-05, 03:38
Originally posted by SMSL:
*Whispering* That's probably because no one can know it for sure if the theory is right yet. *Whispers back* Very true.

BoyTRaider
03-08-05, 06:06
*Whispers back to all* LOL LOL LOL :D http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Angel666
03-08-05, 07:18
*whispers to everyone* Why are we whispering? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

HORUS-LEGEND
03-08-05, 09:02
all the info sounds just wrong, you heard how he was talking about her boo*s, what the... http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yikes.gif , btw a train level similar to the one from tr:tlr cant be right, SCAN THE ARTICLE PLEASE :D

tombraider123
03-08-05, 10:17
This is so unfair :( Reading all this stuff makes me want the game more and more right now! ;( im upset now

Pietras
03-08-05, 12:18
Originally posted by Camera Obscura:
Yes, doubtful it is. Goldmine? Train? Russia? Factory? Too much new info in so little time especially since it wasn't in anything big like E3 or stated by Eidos/ CD themselves. Russia level was confirmed, and we think that factory is actually snow level where were boxes, big statue and russian-like enemies :D Only doubtful thing in PUMagazine for me is this wild-west level. I think its Bolivia level (agree with Derek) where are many goldmine villages.

I think it's like that. Lara goes to goldmine village in Bolivia, then catch a train and ride throught the mountains and reach Peru. I made this for your better understanding of my interpretation: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.alexmad.republika.pl/South_America.jpg

interstellardave
03-08-05, 12:28
Nice theory Pietras! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

daggertail
03-08-05, 12:32
Originally posted by Pietras:
Russia level was confirmed, and we think that factory is actually snow level where were boxes, big statue and russian-like enemiesWait a minute, Pietras, why do you thinki those guys are russionas? Which distinguishable russian features did you find in there? And I know some things about Russian culture and believe me..in it there are no devils, dragons on walls and all those curvings. I think this is not Russia defenitely.

FallenxFromxLight
03-08-05, 14:48
Originally posted by Daggertail:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pietras:
Russia level was confirmed, and we think that factory is actually snow level where were boxes, big statue and russian-like enemiesWait a minute, Pietras, why do you thinki those guys are russionas? Which distinguishable russian features did you find in there? And I know some things about Russian culture and believe me..in it there are no devils, dragons on walls and all those curvings. I think this is not Russia defenitely. </font>[/QUOTE]If you look at the concept art that seems to be Russia, there's a lot of buildings and/or wearhouses. I dont think these fancy carvings were always there, I think they were moved to that place. We'll have to see.

After Pietras's map..I'm almost CONVINCED this man meant Bolivia, it just seems so likely.

God Horus
03-08-05, 15:13
Great info!!!

ben croft
03-08-05, 18:08
Thanks for the article yesrushdt http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Kapitein Iglo
03-08-05, 19:05
Originally posted by Camera Obscura:
Unless someone else here has that same article and can translate, then don't get your hopes up. I could translate it, don't have the PU though, mayby if they post all the scans i could translate.

The Power Unlimited isn't what you could consider a "normal" games magazine which most of the time are pretty straight forward and to the facts. These guys make theyre magazine one big joke (not as in fooling you but lots of b.s., fiction, whishes etc). It's hard to read what's real and what's fiction. That's why I dislike the magazine.

Legend
03-08-05, 19:12
Originally posted by miufs:
Jump with the X????
It used to be the square!!!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif What's your point? You knew they were changing the controls...right? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

Cosmo
04-08-05, 10:49
If you want to see the scanned pages of that very article, look here:

http://www.laracroftonline.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=tr7;action=display;num=1123001532;st art=0#8

ben croft
04-08-05, 13:32
Here's one of the 3 scans. Thanks Cosmo

http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/7894/pu31ko.jpg

The one with Lara climbing the wall is new to me.

Source: LARA CROFT ONLINE (http://www.laracroftonline.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=tr7;action=display;num=1123001532;st art=0#8)

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

[ 04. August 2005, 14:36: Message edited by: ben croft ]

Barry Matharoo
04-08-05, 13:58
Cool Info
but i wouldn't rtely on it
what if it is a fake
oh well better than nothing lol ;)

daggertail
04-08-05, 14:03
I like the shooting Lara on the up/right corner...haven't seen it before. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif