PDA

View Full Version : I want to kill a game designer

robson001
29-12-05, 23:38
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifAAAAAHHHRRGHH!!!!

You know... we've all had those moments in gaming. When you play some stuff and look at it and ask, "what the ****ing hell these dudes have in mind?". I mean, when a mere player question something that is supposedly made by professionals, it's a clue that we have something very wrong there.

For example that first boss in Chronicles. It's true that TR's gameplay never allowed much variety in terms of combat, but that thing is totally ridiculous. No strategy, just jumping like an idiot to avoid those fireballs... and this is not about being hard or easy, but interesting or frustrating.

Another: climbing the poles with rotating blades in Lost Library (LR).

Also: Devil May Cry. Just started replaying it and having a lot trouble:hea: in some fights. Why? Because of the **** camera that changes all of a sudden making you mess up evrything... It's a perfect example of style over content (not that DMC doesn't have content, just that developers should pick their priorities better).

I could go on but I'd spend the night typing.

Please share your thoughts about... I'm sure I'm not the only gamer-freak who cares about this here, eh?

Kamrusepas
29-12-05, 23:52
Another: climbing the poles with rotating blades in Lost Library (LR).

That was really annoying, frustrating and took me a while to get thru without dying.

Neteru
29-12-05, 23:54
Many a time I have seriously believed game designers simply want to annoy the player to the point of rage, imagining them, as I have, rubbing their hands with glee at how angry their 'victims' are going to become.

Moving to General Chat. ...

robson001
30-12-05, 00:00
Oh, sorry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0)) I should have posted here.

LOL Neteru!

Catlantean
30-12-05, 00:07
Agree with what you said Neteru. I love a good challenge but some parts of some games really make me want to smash the keyboard. Especially when the game has checkpoint-based saving and you're forced to replay the same annoying part over and over :hea:

Draco
30-12-05, 00:10
Well I think most game designers are just plain unimaginative. Makes me wish I had enough investors to make my games.

bonjovi321
30-12-05, 07:45
[QUOTE=Neteru][COLOR=Navy][I]Many a time I have seriously believed game designers simply want to annoy the player to the point of rage, imagining them, as I have, rubbing their hands with glee at how angry their 'victims' are going to become.

[SIZE="6"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah neteru is right i had troubles doing all this as well getting anoyyed and pack my ps2 up and throw it out the window

LaRaMaster
30-12-05, 11:40
That Dragon took me some time to defeat , but like you said there's only one strategy to defeat it , just jump from left to right and shoot , but that doesn't really matter to me , the only thing i need is Lara and her bo... uhm some great Tombs of course :D

Draco
31-12-05, 02:26
I beat the Dragon standing still firing the M16. :)

LaraLuva4Eva
31-12-05, 09:06
I really didnt like the TR Animal Enemies, this makes lara croft world Supernatural/Magic, Lara should be an ordinary woman with a never ending backpack :D

Scottlee
31-12-05, 14:11
I think my biggest instance of gaming frustration was way back on Shinobi, on the old Master System version.

At the end of the 4th section you had to continually blast these crates that slowly moved towards you from the right hand side of the screen. I tried that damn task about 30 or 40 times and I swear hands down it's bloody impossible.

LaRaMaster
31-12-05, 14:15
I really didnt like the TR Animal Enemies, this makes lara croft world Supernatural/Magic, Lara should be an ordinary woman with a never ending backpack :D

Lara is supernatural , i mean she can hold her breath for 3 minutes under water :o

Catapharact
31-12-05, 14:37
Many a time I have seriously believed game designers simply want to annoy the player to the point of rage, imagining them, as I have, rubbing their hands with glee at how angry their 'victims' are going to become.

Moving to General Chat. ...

I assume Prince of Persia 3 was frustrating then? :p Poor Poor Net.

A few games to complain about when it comes to angles:

1) MGS. Cameras are helpful but very annoying at times.
2) Advent rising (sometimes.)
3) Tomb Raider! (Yes Tomb Raider. Sometimes the camera prespective is flippin horrible!)

Neteru
31-12-05, 20:06
Not in the least. It proved easy. Easier in fact, than WW I think.

Jacob x5
01-01-06, 00:49
The game designers should be sitting there with a pen and pad listening to seven year old kids. After all, they have the best imaginations of all of us.

Mary CF
02-01-06, 00:36
The game designers should be sitting there with a pen and pad listening to seven year old kids. After all, they have the best imaginations of all of us.

In some cases I'd say yes, in some I'd say no. Ever heard of the Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl?

I've never seen that movie, nor would I ever have any desire to... but while reading through a local paper I happened upon a review of this movie. To say the least, the reviewer gave it a terrible rating.

Apparently, that movie came straight from the dreams of the director's son. He also directed prior to that a movie for kids which was much more successful (I don't care enough to remember the name).

To put it simply: with a child's imagination, you will either get something horribly ridiculous (to an adult, anyway, but maybe not to another child), or something very imaginative and interesting indeed. I'd say it's a 50/50 risk.

SkyGirl
02-01-06, 00:52
Argh I just hated the camera position in the silent Hill games !! It's just annoying http://img.sheezyart.com/images/emoticons/anger.gif