PDA

View Full Version : An auto-save program

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-05, 14:06
I'm one of those people who will sit and work on something in Photoshop or Flash or something for hours and not save, and sometimes I end up losing hours of work when the program crashes.

SO I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that would automatically hit the CTRL+S shortcut every five minutes. Or if a simple little program like that could be written in Visual Basic or C or something?

Jacob x5
31-12-05, 14:12
I'm pretty sure that programs like that do exist but I'm afraid I don't know where to find one. In the mean-time, it would be a good idea to try and get into the habit of hitting CTRL+S every now again, as I know how frustrating it is to lose hours of work. Believe me, I do. :o But once you're in a habit like that it's hard to brake out. I did look on Google and there are a lot of things there on the first page that could be useful. :tmb:

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-05, 14:16
I had a peek around on Google too, but I ended up with a load of stuff about saving for a new car or for a holiday and I'm just like ">_>"

Kamrusepas
31-12-05, 15:16
...a program that would automatically hit the CTRL+S shortcut every five minutes.

Why don't you just hit Ctrl+S every five minutes? That's what I do :D

Ampersand
31-12-05, 15:24

Me too, except I do it every two minutes. Even when I don't want to. :cln:

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-05, 16:14

Because I can't. I've tried but I just don't have the right kind of attention span to remember to do it every five minutes. I get totally and utterly engrossed in whatever bit of artwork I'm working on and saving doesn't occur to me, because it's just not natural... Picasso never had to worry about his canvas crashing, lol.

Thorn
31-12-05, 16:28
Well why does your program keep crashing? That's just not normal. I have photoshop too but that doesn't happen.

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-05, 16:33
It does it spontaneously, there's a variety of bugs in it. Or one of my other programs will crash and force me to reboot.

Kamrusepas
31-12-05, 16:35
I have photoshop too but that doesn't happen.

Yup, Photoshop doesn't crash! [that's an inside joke with a friend who prefers Paint Shop Pro :p]

But seriously, my Photoshop doesn't crash either.

Anubis_AF
31-12-05, 16:41
Neither does mine.

Ampersand
31-12-05, 16:45
Nor mine, but then again, I don't leave mine open for hours. Just try making Ctrl+S a habit - it becomes reflexive after a while.

And I thought it was suffering to lose a sketch I'd worked on for 10 minutes...

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-05, 16:47
My enquiry wasn't into whether Photoshop crashes - because my copy does crash, and all my friends into graphic design are no strangers to the phenomenon of Photoshop crashing, particularly as you go to save - but whether there's a program available that'll automatically save whatever I'm working on in whatever program I'm using.

Photoshop DOES crash, but not all the time, I'm just looking for a safeguard to make sure I don't lose my work. I have lost hours of work to known bugs in the code so don't tell me I'm at fault.

Ampersand
31-12-05, 16:54
'pologies. I don't know what Photoshop you're using, but you might find something useful here (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Photoshop%2Bautosave+plugin&meta=).

Anubis_AF
31-12-05, 16:55
Maybe this will help Gecko:

http://www.atopsoft.com/products/autosave/

Ampersand
31-12-05, 16:57
Beat me to it, Anubis. They're shareware, though, aren't they?

Geck-o-Lizard
31-12-05, 16:59
Thanks a lot for the links Ampersand and Anubis, I'll check them out. :)

Anubis_AF
31-12-05, 17:07
I hope it helps :wve:

No, actually you beat me to it Ampersand :D
Yea, I think they are.