PDA

View Full Version : Would you give your life to save someone else?

Geck-o-Lizard
02-01-06, 00:19
If the situation ever arose, would you give your life to save someone else's life, even if they were a stranger?

Kamrusepas
02-01-06, 00:25
A stranger? Hmm.... I don't really know. For someone I love, probably.

Neteru
02-01-06, 00:31
Quite possibly, yes I would. But I imagine it would depend upon the manner of death.

Thorir
02-01-06, 00:38
I would risk my life to save someone, yes.
But I wouldn't give my life for someone... What good would that do me?! :P

Neteru
02-01-06, 00:42
But I wouldn't give my life for someone... What good would that do me?! :P

One doesn't give to receive. :ton:

Draco
02-01-06, 00:47
Risk, certainly. I can't say I would give my life tho...because death is never quite certain.

BoyTRaider
02-01-06, 01:32
Perhaps to someone I knew...but for a stranger, I would risk my life. I wouldn't give my life for an adult who has already lived much more than me, although I'd give my life for someone younger.

xMiSsCrOfTx
02-01-06, 01:39
Well, depending on the situation of course, and the way I'd die. Definitely for someone I cared about, though. In a heartbeat. A stranger, well, I'd have to see what situation I was in.

Genocide
02-01-06, 01:50
for someone i loved...absolutely
for a total stranger...HELL NO!!! why should i save someone who dosent give a damn if i die or not...fair enough they'd be gratefull, but would they be willing to do the same for me?? i highly doubt it...the only way id give my life for a strange would be if it were a child!

Thorir
02-01-06, 02:14

Scenario:

Stranger almost drowning: Heeeelp! Heeelp!
Thorir: I'll help!! *Swims out to help, pulls stranger to land, then gets attacked by a shark and Thorir is dead*

What part of that is supposed to make me feel good!? :D :ton: :p

Mary CF
02-01-06, 02:30
I agree with Neteru, you shouldn't give to receive. I know I don't, because I often give things to people who I know couldn't possibly give me anything back, other than of course the satisfaction that it helped them or they enjoyed it (such as donating to the poor, which I love to do).

As for giving my life to save someone else's - this is one of those situations where I can't say yes or no because I don't know what it feels like to be in that situation. I imagine I would try to help, but the implications of doing something that would kill me and save someone else are far too broad for me to reasonably be able to consider.

AnthonyShock1515
02-01-06, 02:46
Im with Matt:)

AnthonyShock1515
02-01-06, 02:47
As for giving my life to save someone else's - this is one of those situations where I can't say yes or no because I don't know what it feels like to be in that situation. I imagine I would try to help, but the implications of doing something that would kill me and save someone else are far too broad for me to reasonably be able to consider.
I couldn't have put it better myself Mary

LaRaMaster
02-01-06, 11:13
For someone i really love i will do
For a stranger i don't think so

Thorn
02-01-06, 11:31
Saving someone's life comes from the heart. Naturally I'd save anyone who I saw was in danger. It depends on how much you care.

Ampersand
02-01-06, 12:27
I'd scarper and save my bacon! :vlol:

Nah, that's actually a good question. It really depends on the situation, the person, and the sort of danger they're in. I don't know if I'd sacrifice myself (that sounded melodramatic :o) for a total stranger, but I might risk my personal safety trying to intervene. I'd probably give my life for my family, though, and risk serious injury for my doggies...

Anubis_AF
02-01-06, 12:29
Depends if I'm in the mood.. :D

No seriously, I would most certainly. Especially if it is a relative or a close friend.

Gabi
02-01-06, 13:10
My first reaction was:

For someone I love: yes
For someone I don't love: no

But after some consideration I am not so sure about the second part anymore. Under certain circumstances i probably would........

Catlantean
02-01-06, 13:55
For someone I love, I most certainly would. For a stranger, I'm not so sure...

Thorn
02-01-06, 14:56
I'm shocked so many of you don't have a big enough heart to save any stranger. It just repulses me. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Thorny/emo/eusa_snooty.gif

Ampersand
02-01-06, 15:15
I'm shocked so many of you don't have a big enough heart to save any stranger. It just repulses me. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Thorny/emo/eusa_snooty.gif

It's all very well saying that, but we are talking about a hypothetical situation here.

Selfless heroism works all very well in your mind, but what about when it comes right down to the nitty-gritty? What then? What if the fear kicks in and you freeze up? What if - dare I say it - you realize you aren't all that big and brave, and decide to run and save yourself?

It's all right being big-hearted from a distance, but is it the same up close, staring danger in the face?

What about all those selfless heroes you see on the news, who ended up dead for all their trouble? At the end of the day, the human instinct is to survive, and most people would rather do that and suffer the guilt.

Thorn
02-01-06, 15:19
Ampersand, in true life I saved a young lady who was held at gunpoint. I took my gun out of my purse and shot the guy in the leg. I managed to kick the gun out of his hand and call the police. The lady was fine while the felon was sent back to jail. I'm not speaking out of my arse.

Ampersand
02-01-06, 15:22
I didn't say you were. We're not all made of the same stuff, and we don't all walk around with convenient guns in our purses.

Thorn
02-01-06, 15:30
We all have to die someday. When it's my time to go I'd rather it be by saving someone than in bed. We are obviously two very different people Ampersand. Whether I had the gun or not I couldn't live with myself knowing I didn't try.

Ampersand
02-01-06, 15:35
We all have to die someday. When it's my time to go I'd rather it be by saving someone than in bed. We are obviously two very different people Ampersand. Whether I had the gun or not I couldn't live with myself knowing I didn't try.

Yes, we are very different people. All people are different, it's what makes the world. And, yes, we all have to die someday, but a brutal and premature death is not to everyone's preference. It's unfortunate that we can't all be so selfless, but we all have different priorities and personalities. :)

Draco
02-01-06, 15:39
'Know what the definition of a hero is? Someone that gets people killed.'

That said, it is a rare opportunity to be in a position to save someone.

Besides that Clara, you didn't give your life for her, you merely risked it, which is completely different. But they do have similar goals: Others over oneself.

What if you had no idea how to use the gun, or even didn't have it at all? Would you have risked it?

robson001
02-01-06, 16:39
Most probably yes.

Neteru
02-01-06, 18:51
What part of that is supposed to make me feel good!? :D :ton: :p

Intention is the key. Who cares if the shark gets you? :D :ton:

Angel666
02-01-06, 20:47
I hate to say this but probably not. If I knew for a fact that it was their life or mine then I would probably look out for number 1. If I had a possibility to get us both out of there alive then I would probably try and help. He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day. Again, this is all hypothetical. If it was real I really don't know what I'd do. In Saving Private Ryan at the last battle, the ammo runner gets scared and hides with all of the bullets while the Nazi's kill his friends. I would hope that I would be brave and not do that but who knows? The survival instinct might kick in and I'd be outta there. The most powerful human instinct is the survival instinct.

Angel666
02-01-06, 20:52
sorry, double post.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
02-01-06, 20:55
I wud if it wos someone i knew younger than me (im 13 btw) but other wise just risk not give

Nessie
02-01-06, 21:42
I'd like to think that I would, but... no. Most certainly not.

Legend
02-01-06, 23:16
No way, I happen to like my life and wouldn't expect anyone to give thiers for mine either!

Your life is your own responsibility...I guess?

Paperdoll
03-01-06, 00:15
The political correct answer is yes, but we never know, it's one of those things that we only know the answer when we see ourselves in that situation.

I don't think I would, I might be selfish by saying this but I don't trade my happiness for another person's happiness and with my life it's the same thing. Maybe because I haven't yet met someone that could change my mind about this.

Risking my life, maybe I would, since I could do something to save that person's life and still preserve mine, but giving my life away....nah, I guess I'm too selfish.

Geck-o-Lizard
03-01-06, 00:34
I'd like to think I would.

I am going to die somehow, someday. It's unavoidable. The way I die is the only variable. I can only speak for myself, but I would rather die proud having fought to the end to protect someone else - even a stranger - than rotting away from old age or some cancer or disease.

I think I would give my life to protect a stranger in mortal peril. I'm one of those people who will grab a bully and punch them in the face if I see them dealing the same treatment out to someone else; rather I take the violence than the original victim, because then it wouldn't be an innocent kid being attacked.

But I wouldn't do something like pull the trigger six times in a game of Russian Roulette just to let my opponent live. I wouldn't save someone in a dishonourable situation.

Cat Girl
04-01-06, 21:29
i don't think that i would sacrifice myself for a stranger. i would for someone i care about like my family or my best friends.

RAID
04-01-06, 21:38
Yes. I would give my life for someone I really care about. I wouldn't think twice.

TheEveningStar
04-01-06, 23:26
i think i would, like geck said, i would rather be known as died to protect someone than of a horrible disease or just plain old :p

tHe$33ker
05-01-06, 09:48
Depends on the situation......it's posibble i would..............

JamesFKirk
05-01-06, 10:41
Can't say. In the thrill of the situation... Maybe. I do not discount the possibility. To die for someone else willingly... That's not likely but possible. As I said. It would really depend on the person, the situation and the manner of death.

Joseph
05-01-06, 11:34
Would i give your life to save someone else?

No. Of course not. I would do all i can to save someone else, but not give my life. Risk my life for someone i love, of course i would.

Geck-o-Lizard
05-01-06, 12:16
Here's a scenario:

You're going for an operation in a very small hospital. It's an urgent operation, without it you'll most likely die in less than half an hour. However, another patient is rushed in, in the same condition as you. The doctors can only operate and save one of you, and there's no way to get surgeons from another hospital here in time. You can see the patient's family nearby, nearly hysterical. Do you demand the doctors operate on you or the other patient?

Wizzy
05-01-06, 16:41
i wudn't know wot to do.....erm...first i'd talk to the person for 10 minutes to get to know them first then i'd choose after i know them a bit but i reckon i would let them have the operation but i would tell my friends to tel my gf i love her.

but i prefer the "gunshot" scenario where ur walking down the road and someone with a gun is pointing it at another person 20 steps away then the person with the gun is about to fire.

in that scenario i reckon my body would react and try and save the person without even thinking

Draco
05-01-06, 18:03
That choice is left up to the doctor.

Geck-o-Lizard
05-01-06, 18:06
That choice is left up to the doctor.

I know, but it's up to you in this scenario.

Joseph
05-01-06, 18:11
In this scenario i would desperately hope - and express it - i will be helped first. So i don't have family around to attract the attention and play on the doctor's emotions? FGS, competition in Intensive Care??? What a scenario!

saray
05-01-06, 19:43
if it was someone that looked deserving of a second chance, yes. if they looked familiar i would definatly try but then again, it might be to late. and as i'm nice...if i met any of you i would try and save you..unless you tell me not to.

Neteru
05-01-06, 21:16
Here's a scenario:

You're going for an operation in a very small hospital. It's an urgent operation, without it you'll most likely die in less than half an hour. However, another patient is rushed in, in the same condition as you. The doctors can only operate and save one of you, and there's no way to get surgeons from another hospital here in time. You can see the patient's family nearby, nearly hysterical. Do you demand the doctors operate on you or the other patient?
I don't need to see the other patient's family members to make my decision. I would insist the other person is operated upon.

superstar
05-01-06, 21:20
well i would give my life for only those i love deeply... for those whom i think my life would lose its meaning without... but for strangers, definitely not^^; i will try to help them and if the situation will bring my death well then there is nothing i would do but i would not throw myself into the arms of the grim reaper willingly lol... i love my life! XD

mau3genius
06-01-06, 00:50
Give my life to save someone else's?
No.

mau3genius
06-01-06, 00:51
Here's a scenario:

I demand the doctors operate me.

Hurrah4Lara
06-01-06, 22:43
Good questions, Geck-O-Lizard!:hug:

"Would you give your life to save someone else?".
My answer would be:
"Jesus did..."
and the dots are meant to mean lots of different things to each of us.:)

At my student-interview I was once asked two questions:

"You're a train driver and cannot stop, you can only go left or right. Left you'll kill one person on the track, right you'll kill five. Which way do you go?".

"You're a surgeon and you can save someone special by conducting fatal operations on five bad people. What would you do?"

Geck, I do not want to distract from your #2 question, but I hope our TR-friends will comment on mine too.

H4L:wve:

Cookin
06-01-06, 23:04
It's a hard call for some people, who for when the moment arrives to make such desicions, the self-preservation instinct kicks in. For me,i think it's the same. Without being subject to such a awful situation i think i would give my life to save another.

Hurrah4lara
Left
and the last one it has to be NO
:wve:

Henhead
06-01-06, 23:29
I can't say either way, it all depends on how you react to a certain situation at a certain time.

I just hope I never have to find out ;)

lorien elf
07-01-06, 05:37
Coolness. this is a really interesting thread and a great topic, seriously. It's so awesome that you brought that up about Jesus, Hurrah4Lara. I mean, I was actually thinking about this too 'cause seeing the title reminded me of one of his teachings where he said it is of course easier to love the ones who love you but if you can't love those who hate you, then how are you better than or doing better than they are? I think I've kind of summed that up nearly correctly. So in thinking of that, yeah, it would seem that the easy answer for me and any of us is no, that we'd not wish to die for a stranger who may not care less for the sacrifice we just made for him or her, thus making it seem like a waste. But, then again, it depends on the situation. I mean, I agree with what some have said here too, like Angel666. Human survival instinct is pretty damn strong. I can't say that I'd not chicken out given the opportunity to stay and fight or run like a coward. I'd hope that I could stay and fight. But if giving my life for another person, even if I didn't know him or her, would mean that I would be doing a great thing, not for my own glory but just because it's really good if that person lives, like he or she has information that can save thousands. I dont know, something like that, then I'd maybe consider it. I can't say that I really value my life all that much anyway, to cling selfishly to it. I die, so what? It should happen sometime, so like some have said, why not die that way rather than by a disease or old age as one hardly able to move, just wasting away? Yeah, I'd give my life for family or friends that I love though.
And I really dont mean to be preaching, though I won't apologize for my own views, but I just couldnt help not sharing this thought: I am also reminded of something else Jesus said to His desciples before the crucifixtion, about how that one of the greatest things a man can do for others is to lay down his life for them. I love that verse, tis one of my favorites. I just think that has some kind of great meaning to it, well, lots actually. But dying to save someone else is pretty selfless, and good if one can manage it.

tlr online
07-01-06, 05:43
This is an excellent thread, and I would have to echo the majorities sentiments also. I would certainly risk my life to save someone else, but under what conditions would I give my life?

I've often considered this, and came up with a formula. If my body parts - parts which couldn't then sustain my life - were needed for someone younger than me, then yes. If older, then no. For someone younger, they are in a position to enjoy life. For someone older, then I am in a position to enjoy more life.

Bit of a weird formula, and I know in the real world you couldn't apply that. But if it makes me feel less guilty right now, then it works for me.

19scorpio
22-03-13, 08:19
They are a few people who judge those people who won't give their life to a stranger. Argument was 'life has no meaning if you don't die for your beliefs' and 'everybody dies' better die selfless like a hero then die like in your bed when you're old'. First of all i think its stupid' you have to appreciate your own life, the person who you are, life is so hard and a struggle, but you have to see the meaning of life in all the beautiful things, in love, in nature, in friendship, fait, loyalty, you have to love yourself to give love to other love people, you have to respect yourself. You are unique and life is your gift. Would you give such a belief to your child ' hej always sacrifice yourself, thats the meaning of life, you die better now as a hero than later in your warm bed' i don't wish that to anyone, i don,t wish to anyone.to make such a sacrifice, i would't expect i from a stranger to give his life for me, i would,t want that. Dying like a hero isn't selfless, you do that because you want to die like a hero and for your beliefs, and that makes you happy and gives meaning to your life'. I would say thats even egoistic to do such a harm to your love ones. No i would prefer to give love and search a deeper meaning meaning of life, and later save the life of somebody with my organs when i die, i don't care if i'm a hero' i mean i won't remeber of ever know, and my loved ones would prefer i wasn,t.a hero, i mean, what would it be good for? I would say to people and my child " love yourself, respect yourself, be nice to everyone and respect people, don,t do any harm to people, but certainly not to yourself, i don,t know if that is egoistic but i want people to love theri lives and love each other, but certainly love their life, its a gift, use it for a deeper spiritual meaning and to give love, not to die for a stranger

Draco
22-03-13, 08:22
Uh, welcome to TRF.

TheCoolJazz
22-03-13, 08:27
. . . Welcome to the forums? (・□・;)

19scorpio
22-03-13, 08:38
People get the change evryda to save lifes, and they don't, why certainly they do when they have to chose between them and a stranger? To die as a hero? A hero is someone who gives love and help people when he lives, a hero is someane who lives with the guilt and the pain in life, a hero is someane who gives his loved ones a amazing life and is always nice and kind and don,t harm anyone. I you,re so selfless and want to die early like a hero, well kill yourself right now, your organs are still good to save somebody, or you can choose to give money to charity oe fly to afrrica and save people, to save more lifes than one and don't harm your loved ones because you want to be a hero for the world. What is more important? Save your family from harm or save the family from a stranger, i would know what to choose and keep my life! I would certainly risk it for for a stranger and i would give it for my husband and best friends, but give it to anyone else or a stranger ? No. Better live with guilt and face the sadness of live" thats more pain than dying and actually a better sacrifice, and you can keep giving love to your loved ones

19scorpio
22-03-13, 08:40
Thank you guys :) sorry i just had a serious discussion and i was wondered how less people appreciate their live :)

BinRaider
22-03-13, 08:43
I don't need to see the other patient's family members to make my decision. I would insist the other person is operated upon.

How could you say that so easily? I honestly don't think you can say until you've been put in that situation. The prospect of death staring you in the face is the only way to put things into perspective.

I could just say that I would die to save some complete stranger I didn't know, but I'm not sure if I really would. The doctors would probably go with the other patient seeing as his family are in hysterics and I'm on my own so that would lead me to insist that I get the treatment... I really don't know.

spikejones
22-03-13, 09:09
Call me shallow, or call me honest - but no. I would not put my life to certain death to save someone I don't even know. I would sacrifice myself for a loved one no doubt - but a person I don't even know, you can forget about it. I commend those who would actually do it, but I am not one of them. That person might be a serial killer or pedophile for all I know. Now on the off chance it is a damsel in distress - well i have soft spot for those.

http://www.collectorscache.com/StoreModules/ProductImages/587/doomed_necromancer.jpg

Admles
22-03-13, 09:13
Not anymore.

I would have for my ex-fiance, but after the way I was treated, I don't think I can ever hold someone that high in my regard again.

Ikas90
22-03-13, 09:24
I wouldn't hesitate if it was for someone who meant the world to me.

Usually the one who means the most to you before you have children, is your significant other. You'd obviously die for your children.

Greenapple968
22-03-13, 09:32
I honesty don't think I would; I can't think of anybody I'd give my life to save.

CerebralAssassin
22-03-13, 09:53
for a stranger?hell no

ueh_1PeJhaQ

TheCoolJazz
22-03-13, 11:31
For a stranger? No.
For someone else that i care a lot about? Maybe.
But as the world we live in right now i would not recommend anyone to come back to life.

ace_85
22-03-13, 11:37
7 years-old thread, people. 7 years old.

ThatToastyBass
22-03-13, 11:39
If the situation ever arose, would you give your life to save someone else's life, even if they were a stranger?

No - unless it was close family.

Hell, I resent even giving up my seat on the train/bus - never-mind giving up my life.

When it comes to help or assistance, I always ask myself the question "Would someone be likely to help me in that situation?" I live in a capital city which is extremely unsociable, and I know that if I was dying in the street, there is a greater likelihood of passers by filming it on their iPhones rather than assist me. London is like that.

For strangers - not a chance in hell. And that includes the sacred groups of women and children.

TheCoolJazz
22-03-13, 12:05

Reanimating the dead :p

peeves
22-03-13, 12:10
If there was a situation like this for someone i like i probably would sacrifice myself.

ShadyCroft
22-03-13, 12:15
No, I wouldn't. No one deserve my life but me. At the moment, that's how I feel.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-03-13, 12:23
Wow, this thread is old D: But to keep in on-topic here goes:

I'd demand they save the other person. It's simple, it wouldn't even require thought for me. Not that I don't value my life, because I do, and I'm honoured to have been given this vessel from which I can live here on earth. My whole family is completely selfless, and if that's folly; so be it - but we've always put others (and animals) before ourselves. If I have a purpose here on earth, then it's to help other people, and how could I live without guilt knowing someone else died because of me? The best gift you can give is happiness, and if push came to shove, of course I'd give my life to save someone else.

mind
22-03-13, 12:24

That's what my boyfriend used to say.

ShadyCroft
22-03-13, 14:11
That's what my boyfriend used to say.

I see what you did there

TRItheMaster
22-03-13, 14:16
I honestly would. :o

robm_2007
22-03-13, 14:17

A mod posted, so I guess it's okay?

Though it is pretty funny that he didn't care (or notice) how old the thread is :vlol:

michaeldt
22-03-13, 14:26
All depends on the person :wve:.

SEN1138
22-03-13, 14:43
Certainly not, I have one life and I am going to live it.

lara c. fan
22-03-13, 15:23
Wow, this thread is old D: But to keep in on-topic here goes:

I'd demand they save the other person. It's simple, it wouldn't even require thought for me. Not that I don't value my life, because I do, and I'm honoured to have been given this vessel from which I can live here on earth. My whole family is completely selfless, and if that's folly; so be it - but we've always put others (and animals) before ourselves. If I have a purpose here on earth, then it's to help other people, and how could I live without guilt knowing someone else died because of me? The best gift you can give is happiness, and if push came to shove, of course I'd give my life to save someone else.

Countering that, what about the other person? What if they're the same as you?

xXhayleyroxXx
22-03-13, 15:57
Countering that, what about the other person? What if they're the same as you?

I considered that but can't think of a positive outcome :p We'd have to see who was most stubborn! xD Or get someone else to decide.

voltz
22-03-13, 16:04
I'll probably be in a situation where I'm trying to make up my mind and it's too late already. :whi:

SirPlagueRat
22-03-13, 16:12
I certainly wouldn't do it for a stranger, but I'd do it for someone I love. (Not just in a romantic way, mind you. :p)

SkyPuppy
22-03-13, 19:33
it really depends who it is. if it's one of my parents, then yes, i would, no doubt about it.

a best friend? again, yes, i would.

voltz
22-03-13, 19:42
If the situation ever involved a fat person I have to drag out of the way?

**** no!

SEN1138
22-03-13, 19:48
If the situation ever involved a fat person I have to drag out of the way?

**** no!

Oh you! I am physically weak so I probably would just be a spectator in this blood sacrifice.

Admles
22-03-13, 19:53
A mod posted, so I guess it's okay?

Though it is pretty funny that he didn't care (or notice) how old the thread is :vlol:
I didn't care :p

voltz
22-03-13, 20:14
Oh you! I am physically weak so I probably would just be a spectator in this blood sacrifice.

Well let's be honest...

Py4vxjGdjiQ

Mikky
22-03-13, 20:31
It's complicated. I definitely would for my children (if I had any, obviously). I think I would for my lover, but I'm a bit unsure about it. I guess it depends on the situation. I mean, sure, I would sacrifice myself but then I would also have to consider how they would feel after losing me. Then again, I guess that would be the case for for my children too, or anyone else actually. Either way, one of us would die, and the the other would grieve, so it really is a lose-lose situation. Or am I just overthinking it? :p IDK. I think in the end I would give my life for someone I love, but I wouldn't decide lightly; only do it if it's really necessary.

TheRCroft
22-03-13, 21:08
I'll probably be in a situation where I'm trying to make up my mind and it's too late already. :whi:

I can see that happening with me :vlol:

Anyway, I would never give my life for a stranger. Not even for a friend or best friend. If people in our family sometimes betray us, let alone someone who's not our blood (I also know about friends who do more for us than even family members, but that's another story). I would definitely give my life for my mother, my sister or my grandmother (or children/grandchildren, when/if I have them). And that's all. (I'm still not sure whether I would give my life for my partner. I think it's one of those decisions that have to be made on the moment).

Larua croft
22-03-13, 21:17
For the people i love and my best friend yes.

voltz
22-03-13, 21:25
Here's a mind**** you'll ask yourself.

How would you react the instant you saw a little girl less then 10ft away from you about to get plowed over by an oncoming semi? Now remember, this isn't a think for yourself situation, it's either throw yourself in or watch her die...

What would you do?

bekim
22-03-13, 21:29
I wouldn't think so.

SEN1138
22-03-13, 21:32

How would you react the instant you saw a little girl less then 10ft away from you about to get plowed over by an oncoming semi? Now remember, this isn't a think for yourself situation, it's either throw yourself in or watch her die...

What would you do?

I'd watch her die, sorry but I am not going to let myself die for somebody I can't save. It would be the same if she were drowning, I can't swim. **** that!

SkyPuppy
22-03-13, 21:35

What would you do?

where the hell is her parent/guardian? that's my question. i'm going to sacrifice myself because someone was too irresponsible to watch her? sorry, no.

voltz
22-03-13, 21:45
where the hell is her parent/guardian? that's my question. i'm going to sacrifice myself because someone was too irresponsible to watch her? sorry, no.

That... makes a good point.

ShadyCroft
22-03-13, 22:06

What would you do?

This is so Hollywood, which isn't nearly as accurate as real life. Sadly, most people, of not all, will watch her die.

and Skypuppy raised a good point indeed.

Laeda
22-03-13, 22:27
Someone very close to me, yes. Someone I know, probably would take the risk. But honestly I wouldn't for strangers.

Anyway this is just a thought, and in a situation like that you'd just act on instinct so, who knows!

AmericanAssassin
22-03-13, 22:28
A stranger, probably not. A close relative or friend, absolutely.

:}hello friend
22-03-13, 22:33
How could you say that so easily? I honestly don't think you can say until you've been put in that situation. The prospect of death staring you in the face is the only way to put things into perspective.

I could just say that I would die to save some complete stranger I didn't know, but I'm not sure if I really would. The doctors would probably go with the other patient seeing as his family are in hysterics and I'm on my own so that would lead me to insist that I get the treatment... I really don't know.

You just quoted someone who doesn't go to this forum anymore.

JsotoTRSaga
22-03-13, 22:35
A stranger, probably not. A close relative or friend, absolutely.

Exactly what this post says. :tmb:

patriots88888
22-03-13, 23:43
I really don't know... that's the best I can do. As much as I'd like to think I would I really have no way of knowing these things for certain... and hope I never have to find out.

Nice post... selflessness like that above is really tough to find.

In reply to the bolded part: I really don't understand why you'd feel it was your fault and feel guilty about it. The scenario you quoted is as bunk as they come and I can assure you it wouldn't be your fault if you found yourself in that situation... let them tend to you instead of that other person. The hospital itself (due to their lack of qualified staff) would be facing all kinds of lawsuits. So no, definitely not your fault.

xXhayleyroxXx
23-03-13, 00:00
I really don't know... that's the best I can do. As much as I'd like to think I would I really have no way of knowing these things for certain... and hope I never have to find out.

Nice post... selflessness like that above is really tough to find.

In reply to the bolded part: I really don't understand why you'd feel it was your fault and feel guilty about it. The scenario you quoted is as bunk as they come and I can assure you it wouldn't be your fault if you found yourself in that situation... let them tend to you instead of that other person. The hospital itself (due to their lack of qualified staff) would be facing all kinds of lawsuits. So no, definitely not your fault.

First of all: :hug:
Secondly, I'm not sure how to explain it. I've like that with minor things like accepting donated blood, letting people buy things for me with their money etc... I feel guilty. How could I possible walk out the hospital thinking that I was chosen over someone else? I'd feel awful. Imagine seeing the family distressed and upset - they'd probably hate me and I wouldn't at all blame them. I'd be entirely grateful and keep that person in my heart, and I'd never consider suicide again but I just wouldn't be able to stop feeling guilty :o Not even the love and relief of my family when I was home safe from the hypothetical hospital would relieve my guilt.

Admles
23-03-13, 18:26
Having thought about it more, I would give my life to save my mother, father and sister.

That's it.

lance6439
23-03-13, 18:31
idk. probably gaga or a family member or someone else i love.

i'll most likely risk than give.

Rai
23-03-13, 18:46

What would you do?

10ft is a fair distance, if a car is about to hit her, would I be fast enough? I'd probably try, but if a car is speeding.... to be honest though, I think I'd be thinking too slow for the situation, I'd be assessing if I think I could reach her first, and by then, I doubt I would be quick enough. I may just freeze, it wouldn't be a case of whether i wanted to try or not.

To answer the question of the thread: yes, I think I would for my son or my mum, but other than that, I don't thinks so.