PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Lohan Admits Eating Disorder, Drug Use In Vanity Fair Interview

TheEveningStar
05-01-06, 02:22
Lindsay Lohan has finally come clean on rumors about her incredibly shrinking body, admitting in the new issue of Vanity Fair that her low body weight was due to bulimia. She also tells the magazine that she has experimented with drugs in the
past.

"I was sick," the singer/actress says in the magazine's February issue. "Everyone was scared. And I was scared too. I had people sit me down and say, 'You're going to die if you don't take care of yourself.' "

One of those interventions took place in May 2005 when Lohan who was hospitalized Monday after an asthma attack hosted "Saturday Night Live." Castmembers Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, who had worked with Lohan in "Mean Girls," were concerned that the actress was getting too thin. "Amy was good and tough on her," Fey tells Vanity Fair, "saying, 'You're too skinny ... I'm not going to ask you why, but you're too skinny and I don't like it.' "

Fey and show producer Lorne Michaels also held an intervention of sorts, according to the magazine. They let Lohan know what they had witnessed with John Belushi and Chris Farley, who both died of drug overdoses, telling her they were concerned about her following the same self-destructive path.

"They sat me down," Lohan says, "literally before I was going to do the show, and they said, 'You need to take care of yourself. We care about you too much, and we've seen too many people do this,' and I just started bawling. I knew I had a problem and I couldn't admit it."

Even more convincing, Lohan says, was seeing images of her "SNL" appearance in Star magazine. "My arms were disgusting," she says. "I had no arms. My sister, she was scared. My brother called me, crying."

Just six months before the "SNL" appearance, Lohan had what she said should have been a wake-up call. "I started to get really bad head pains, I was shaking in my trailer," she recalls. "I got a fever of 102 and they were like, 'You need to go to the hospital.' I was like, 'No, I'm not going to the hospital.' I went back to my boyfriend's house, lay down on the bed. I started getting these shooting head pains, where I would wake up in the middle of the night. I kid you not, I was lying in that bed and I never heard someone scream so loud. I was screaming, throwing things, because the pains were so intense in my head, like someone was stabbing me in my head."

When Lohan finally sought medical attention and discovered she had a kidney infection, she considered it a cry for help. "I didn't want to complain, but that was my way to complain," she says, "to actually let everyone know, 'Yeah, I actually am really sick.' " She lost 15 pounds while in the hospital. "I wasn't eating. I was on an IV."

Lohan has since regained some of the weight, which she shows off by posing nude in the Vanity Fair photo spread. But according to the story, she displayed an appetite that suggests her binging-and-purging days may not be that far behind such as ordering five pieces of chocolate cake to eat in private or placing several orders of curried chicken "because you never know who's going to drop by." But Lohan wasn't interested in hearing any more concern. "Don't ever say this to me, 'Are you OK?' " she says. "It's like, 'Yeah, motherf-----, I'm fine.' "

She also tells the magazine that she has experimented with drugs "a little," but then qualifies her remark. According to the article, "When asked later if those drugs included cocaine, [Lohan] gets flustered, denies it, and says, 'I don't want people to think that I've done ... you know what I mean? It's a sore subject. I've lost a family member over it, practically.' "

Still, Lohan says she's been through the worst and now considers herself in a position to help others.

"You have to learn for yourself and you have to hit rock bottom sometimes to get yourself back up to the top," Lohan says. "Going through sh-- makes me that much stronger. [And] I'm in a place where I can really make an impact on people and really help ... people with anorexia. I can change that a little bit. I'm not encouraging going out and getting a fake ID and going off the deep end and having an eating disorder. I'm saying, if you at least admit those kinds of things, that that might happen, then they don't feel the urge to go out and do that."

Jennifer Vineyard
MTV.com

croft28
05-01-06, 02:39
Glad to hear she's doing much ebtter now. I like her, her Vanity Fair cover looks great. She's also the new face of Chanel.

Melonie Tomb Raider
05-01-06, 03:31
Honestly, I don't mean to sound cold and heartless, but it sounds like a cry for attention to me. Mary Kate got loads of attention for it, so it looks like Lindsay decided to try it as well... Way too much drama... Celebs can be so annoying.

Tombcool
05-01-06, 04:23
Honestly, I don't mean to sound cold and heartless, but it sounds like a cry for attention to me. Mary Kate got loads of attention for it, so it looks like Lindsay decided to try it as well... Way too much drama... Celebs can be so annoying.

I agree 100%; she should also stop singing, acting, and trying to pull off every profession out there. All of her songs are her screaming and talking about her miserable life with her dad. I am glad she has an eating disorder.

GoranAgar
05-01-06, 04:29
... I am glad she has an eating disorder.
You can only be poorly joking.

Tombcool
05-01-06, 06:22
You can only be poorly joking.

Nope, I am serious, she brought the eating disorder to herself. Plus, there are millions of people otu there who have worse eating disorders and HERS have to be televised and all over the news. I mean give me a break, she is such an attention hog.

GoranAgar
05-01-06, 06:31
And here you are. Giving it the attention you say it does not deserve.

Melonie Tomb Raider
05-01-06, 07:54
Well saying you're GLAD she has an eating disorder is going a little too far, but it's really nothing to fuss about. Whether we like it or not, celebs will have the spotlight, and frankly, I don't care. Most of them live miserable lives, let them enjoy their spotlight while it last...

Nephili
05-01-06, 08:12
I am glad she has an eating disorder.

Not all people bring eating disorders to themselves, some people dont do it jsut to be skinny, other people are just plain ill.

And to say that your glad she has an eating disorder is sick.

Thorn
05-01-06, 08:13
I've delt with body dismorphic disorder, drugs etc so I understand where she's coming from. I hope she gets well.

Kamrusepas
05-01-06, 08:18
All celebs make these kinda cries for attention.

Well, I'm glad she's acknowledged her problem and all :wve:

Cat Girl
05-01-06, 17:44
i liked Lindsay Lohan. she's beautiful. but i think she didn't pay attention to that. why would she take drugs? well, it's her life at the end. and i'm happy she's safe now.

Anubis_AF
05-01-06, 17:55
We knew it before she did.
I hope she gets appropriate treatment for this problem.

Angel666
05-01-06, 23:15
She couldn't have bought this kind of publicity. Anyhoo, I'm just going to say one thing and leave: I KNEW IT!!!!

xMiSsCrOfTx
05-01-06, 23:24
I am glad she has an eating disorder.

That's a horrible thing to say. You shouldn't be glad anyone has it, even if it was self-inflicted. I'm no Lindsay fan, but I'm glad she's recognized the problem and that she saught out help. Good for her that she's recovering. Thanks for posting, TheEveningStar. :)

Legend
06-01-06, 00:24
She needs to give her mate, Nicole Richie, a shove in the right direction too, have you seen her lately? Wasting away to nothing...

xMiSsCrOfTx
06-01-06, 00:30
She needs to give her mate, Nicole Richie, a shove in the right direction too, have you seen her lately?

Yes, I have seen her. She's looking scarily skeletal too. It's so unfortunate how so many celebrities, well, anyone actually, have these scary eating disorders. Richie does have an eating disorder, right?

Legend
06-01-06, 00:33
Richie does have an eating disorder, right?Obviously, yes. But she still fails to admit it. Admitting it is the first step to recovery.

gamer_sleuth
06-01-06, 03:23
Whats so bad about being fat? at least fat people know where to eat.

Legend
06-01-06, 03:25
Whats so bad about being fat? at least fat people know where to eat.
Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...well I do...FAT! :D

Moon-Safari
06-01-06, 05:52
of course its a cry for attention. she admitted it. she wants attention from her parents. its the reason alot of kids do fd up things. so their parents can finally notice them and comfort them and give them the love they yearn for.

Mr X
06-01-06, 06:37
Personally I don't like any of those teen stars. Lindsay, The Olsens, Hilary, Ashlee you name it. In my opinion none of them can sing, they can't act and aren't even that attractive as the media portrays them to be. It's worse when half of them pull media stunts just for attention. Either way I'm glad she's OK and hopefully she's getting the right treatment.

Moon-Safari
06-01-06, 07:10
i just feel sorry for the teens who are now going to develope eating disorders on purpose because thats what their idol went through and they think anything their idol does is cool and they want to be cool like their idol. the media is the #1 problem in america. if it isnt hip hop promoting violence then its pop princesses promoting eating disorders, shallowness, and permiscuity.

ben croft
06-01-06, 23:31
Not a surprise to me.

gamer_sleuth
07-01-06, 00:07
Looking at girls in hollywood today, I'm glad i'm not obsessed with looking good in front of people

Draco
07-01-06, 05:18
I don't think I look all that great, but I'm not about to go all stupid with it...

The weakness of some people astounds me sometimes.

lorien elf
07-01-06, 05:43
Thanks for posting this info. I just dislike Hollywood intensely, overall that is. I mean, tis like the media puts pressure on celebs and others to look good-which usually means skinny- and then when they actually do become skinny, suddenly the media can fill tabloids with talk about that star having an eating disorder. You guys know what I mean? it's so hypocritical, to say the least. oh well, if it's true, I do hope she gets through it and overcomes it.

lorien elf
07-01-06, 05:46
i just feel sorry for the teens who are now going to develope eating disorders on purpose because thats what their idol went through and they think anything their idol does is cool and they want to be cool like their idol. the media is the #1 problem in america. if it isnt hip hop promoting violence then its pop princesses promoting eating disorders, shallowness, and permiscuity.
Just had to say, I second this. :) Well-said. Hollywood really just serves to promote all the worst vices in a human being, it seems. They praise awful behaviour and worship money and selfishness therein.

BoyTRaider
07-01-06, 08:09
You are definatly right. :tmb:

gamer_sleuth
08-01-06, 01:08
I think Raven is a good role model. she's not trying to starve herself (that i know of) she's probably the only child/teen star that I like. she actually has talent.

SkyGirl
08-01-06, 01:15

Damn right !
I hate that celebs say stupid things like that just for attention

egyptiangal
08-01-06, 03:14
yup i do believe nicole has a problem... read this article

http://journals.aol.com/thefeedblog/AOLNewsTheFeed/

lindsay and nicole both lost weight at the same time...just when they became buddies...

personally i liked them both before when they had some meat on them...they look like corpses now! I can't believe that kid size bikkinis sag on Nicole :yik:

TheEveningStar
11-01-06, 13:14
Linday Lohan is "appalled" by the Vanity Fair article released last week in which she confessed to dabbling in drugs and battling bulimia.

The Vanity Fair story, which hit newsstands nationally Tuesday and was widely reported last week, made headlines for the 19-year-old actress' acknowledgment that she dabbled in drugs "a little."

The magazine also quoted Lohan on her drastic weight loss last year: "I was making myself sick," she said. The article, written by Evgenia Peretz, noted Lohan was "referring to bulimic episodes."

Lohan also said, "I knew I had a problem and I couldn't admit it."

However, in a statement released Tuesday to Teen People magazine, Lohan denied having bulimia and said, "The words that I gave to the writer for Vanity Fair were misused and misconstrued, and I'm appalled with the way it was done."

An editor for Teen People said Lohan's denial was regarding Vanity Fair's reporting of her alleged bulimia, not drug use.

"Aside from (the writer's) lies and changing of my words, I am blessed to have this job and wonderful family that I do," Lohan's statement read.

Vanity Fair, in a statement of its own, stood by its story.

"Evgenia Peretz is one of our most reliable reporters," the magazine said. "Every word Lindsay Lohan told her is on tape. Vanity Fair stands by the story."

A call to Lohan's publicist, Leslie Sloane Zelnick, was not immediately returned Tuesday.
___
On the Net:
http://www.teenpeople.com/teenpeople/
http://www.vanityfair.com/
http://www.llrocks.com/
Yahoo.com

gamer_sleuth
12-01-06, 22:39
why's she denying it? Its obvious she has something wrong with her. Freakin' little slut.

Isabella
13-01-06, 00:00
Anorexia (and bumimia) are serious Mental disorders. It doesn't matter if one is famous or not, They are diseases that effect a broad range of people. Just because someone is in the spotlight doesn't make them immune to problems faced by everyone else. When a celebrity is sick or pregnant they are automatically placed under a microscope whether they like it or not.

Anorexia is a horrible disorder and anyone who has it doesn't deserve to be ridiculed. It's a lifelong struggle and only a small percentage of the disease has to do with food. The majority of if has to do with having a sense of control over that particular aspect of your life. Just as mental disorders such as biploar and anxiety, Anorexia is something that stems from a psychological problem. So please don't pass judgment unless you've had some first hand experience.

TheEveningStar
13-01-06, 00:36
i didnt want to comment on this because of some personal experiences... many ppl that i know had at some point in their lives experience Anorexia. Many of hollywood's celebrities go through most of the times because of media pressure and also public pressure, if u look back at past stories similar to this one, u will def see a connection, a celebrity comes out with a movie and she/he (yes it can happen to guys too, 2 ppl i know are guys that have had it, but is not as critized as they do to girls) start gaining weight after the movie, they will be hardly critize because they are used to see the "beautiful" person they saw on the screen, and they want to keep it that way.... some of the cases that have been like that before would be Alicia Silverstone after Clueless, Kate Winslet after Titanic, now lindsay lohan after mean girls, the media critized them for gaining a little bit of weight, kristie alley was one that was very critized for her weight when she decided to come back to hollywood... however, she has been one of the few that were able to get through it and actually take advantage of her weight in a good way, she made a lil hit called "Fat Actress", it was a small hit, but at the end was cancelled cause she lost almost half of the weight.
Please ppl keep in mind that everything that everyone does is not perfect, like the saying goes, walk a mile in their shoes and then u will see what is like to be them...

Isabella, i couldnt put it in better words what u said. I'm taking psychology right now in college and it has opened my mind in many ways i never thought it would, ive learned so much stuff from the behavior of the human being, and one of the things that they always say is that a human will always be influenced by their surroundings, and that will always include ppl's critisims about everything they do, now everyday we get critized by many who see us, we might never know about it, but everyone that sees u will have a diff view of how u look... now imagine knowing what everyone else thinks of u, in a career that depends on how ppl see u, cause if ppl hate u, they wont buy, u wont sell, if u dont sell u dont have a career.... wouldnt that affect ur way if being and looking too... now i know some ppl might say no, but if u were truly into ur career, then it would. just like u would to succeed in ur current career.

Thats all i have to say. i wish Lindsay the best if she does have it, and hope she never has it if she doenst have it now.

egyptiangal
19-01-06, 04:50
well said eveningstar :)

i think it would be very hard not to consider bulemia or aneorexia if i were a celebrity. I am sure many celebs face this in their lives but somehow if they're lucky they don't show it to the media. I just wish that PLUMP was attractive...how it used to be way back before our times...in the middle ages to i don't know when it ended... I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about...picture venus demilo. (sorry if that's not spelled correctly) Back then, if you had some meat on you, people thought of you as wealthy because you had enough money to eat.