PDA

View Full Version : When I grow up I want to be...

Paperdoll
07-01-06, 14:52
It's the attack of the useless threads again!
When you were growing up, what were your "aspirations" ? :p What did you want to be?

I went through alot of phases, from ballerina, to lawyer, psychologist and archeologist. At the moment...I don't have a clue :X lol

Kamrusepas
07-01-06, 14:57
When I grow up I want to be... A grown up!

No really, I wanna be rich.

Paperdoll
07-01-06, 14:59
No really, I wanna be rich.

Who doesn't :D

Ampersand
07-01-06, 15:00
I never shared the usual 'wanna be a dancer/actress/popstar' fantasies, because I thought there could be no more useless way to spend your time.

I wanted to be an English lecturer or a veterinary surgeon. But now I'm studying for (hopefully) a technology degree. I want to work in computers, and be an artist and author in my spare time. :)

Real Life Lara
07-01-06, 15:03
I *still* dont know what I wanna be, but I went through many phases like a teacher, pyschologist (still thinking about those two), astrounaut, actress, model (:vlol:) etc... :wve:

Scottlee
07-01-06, 15:13
I wanted to be a snooker player when I was growing up, but I gave up after reaching the age of eighteen having never made a break higher than 38.

Cat Girl
07-01-06, 15:17
honestly. i don't know what i wanna be till now. i was thinking of english teacher. but after what i have been through, i mean after what i saw what could happen to the teahers caus of students, i totally ignored this idea, and now i wish that i know what i would be....:confused:

GodOfLight
07-01-06, 22:42
well... i always wanted to be a film director.

and at the moment i'm studying film at uni to beocme one.

so we shall see where my path takes me :D

RAID
07-01-06, 22:43
I've always wanted to work in show business

Ampersand
07-01-06, 22:44
Come to think of it, even a career as a cryptozoologist crossed my mind. (When I was about twelve or thirteen - too many Nessie documentaries.) Though I still find that stuff fascinating.

Kamrusepas
07-01-06, 22:45
I've always wanted to work in show business

There's no business like show business :mis:

SkyGirl
07-01-06, 22:47
I would like to be...a vet or a nutricionist...or maybe a designer of products...but I don't have still...any clue what I really want to be

TRAODJ
07-01-06, 22:57
i wanna be mechanical engineer (i study that :D) ^_^

xMiSsCrOfTx
07-01-06, 22:59
Either an actress or a neurosurgeon.

Veronica Ma
07-01-06, 23:24
When I grow up I want to be...

Young again! :vlol::vlol::vlol:

TRAODJ
07-01-06, 23:31
hahaha my grandmother says the same loool

AnthonyShock1515
07-01-06, 23:40
Im not boasting but I have 100s of possibilities.:)

Archeologist, Zoologist, Interpreter, Translator, Accountant, Holiday rep, Courier, Accountant, Intellegence officer, Anthropologist, Chiropodist, Messeuse, Chiropractor, Food critic, book critic, just about any type of critic:D , actor, Film Director, artist, designer, Symbologist, Architect and whats the name of where someone studies ancient art?:confused:

LaRaMaster
07-01-06, 23:41
OMG :p

I also wanna work in the showbizz :)

_Mica_
07-01-06, 23:48
I really have no idea. I'd like to be a veterinary surgeon but I don't think I could cope with having to put animals down. :( If I had the choice, I wouldn't work at all! :p

I know that I definitely DON'T want to be a teacher.

ben croft
07-01-06, 23:49
I wanna be alive.

SSJ6Wolf
08-01-06, 00:09
Right now I'm leaning towards video game production. Preferrably level design. Or maybe music? If I can ever make it sound professional that is...

Veronica Ma
08-01-06, 00:15
Im not boasting but I have 100s of possibilities.:)

Archeologist, Zoologist, Interpreter, Translator, Accountant, Holiday rep, Courier, Accountant, Intellegence officer, Anthropologist, Chiropodist, Messeuse, Chiropractor, Food critic, book critic, just about any type of critic:D , actor, Film Director, artist, designer, Symbologist, Architect and whats the name of where someone studies ancient art?:confused:You must really want to be an Accountant. :vlol: It's ok, i'm one too. It's a great profession if you like numbers, computers and attention to detail. :D
hahaha my grandmother says the same loool:vlol::vlol::vlol:

Draco
08-01-06, 00:18
The same thing I have wanted to be since I was first asked that question...Happy.

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 01:20
Psychologist.This July :)!

AnthonyShock1515
08-01-06, 01:25
Ok, this will convince you for my undying list for an accountant ambition
AccountantAccountantAccountantAccountantAccountant Accountant:p
Im really not that bothered

Maureen Errant
08-01-06, 01:49
Come to think of it, even a career as a cryptozoologist crossed my mind. (When I was about twelve or thirteen - too many Nessie documentaries.) Though I still find that stuff fascinating.

Quite fascinating......still don't know what I want to be (or do) when I grow up.:ton:

lorien elf
08-01-06, 01:54
Haha. I wish I knew. And I hope that I find out before I graduate from Uni. lol. I'm studying history but I dont want to teach, so maybe something I will find. Anywho, I had several phases when I was a kid.. from figure skater, hehe, to FBI agent, to archeaologist. I think I even wanted to be a linguist? interpreter once. But I think what Draco said really makes sense. That's a simple and true enough answer for me. Something like that is what I really hope for. :)

TheEveningStar
08-01-06, 01:59
i would love to work on the Entertainment bussines, but right now im studying for Information Technology, like many ppl say, computer ppl will always have a job ever since the computer was invented :p

gamer_sleuth
08-01-06, 03:20
I'd like to be an ASL interpreter

Neteru
08-01-06, 03:44
When I was a child I wanted two things.

1, to be six foot tall, so that I could;
2, be a policeman.

I achieved one of those. :D

Geck-o-Lizard
08-01-06, 03:58
I'm working my way towards a career in print & digital graphic design. :)

Net: you're a midget policeman then? *runs* :p

Lost Angel 21
08-01-06, 04:02
I plan to go to law school and become a lawyer. I'm very outspoken when I want to be :P

Neteru
08-01-06, 04:07
Net: you're a midget policeman then? *runs* :p

:vlol: No Geck, logic will tell you I am 6ft tall.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-01-06, 04:09
Logic? A tape measure would be better for that purpose.
*runs away again*

;) :p

Neteru
08-01-06, 04:19
LOL, be'ave.

TheEveningStar
08-01-06, 04:27
Net: you're a midget policeman then? *runs* :p hehe that sounds so funny:vlol:

and about the graphic designs, well i wanted to major in that, but im thinking that i might get first my IT deegre and then get a minor on graphics. i do have a "good eye", at least thats what other ppl have told me, but i just dont have the right software to do stuff :(

BoyTRaider
08-01-06, 04:57
First of all, I wanna be happy. :)
I always wanted to be an actor/singer... Not for being popular, but just for fun... :D
It's what I do...and I'm very good at it.
Also, I wanna work with computers...maybe something in the Gaming Industry.

Soma Holiday
08-01-06, 05:19
Wow BoyTraider. That's the same as mine haha.

I LOVE to sing and act, and I would love to make vgames, but I also love to write, so I think that's top priority, though having my own band sounds good too. ;)

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-01-06, 05:28
3D Graphic Arist. Working with games is my passion. :)

Maureen Errant
08-01-06, 06:18
3D Graphic Arist. Working with games is my passion. :)

But will your passion feed you?????? I don't know how it is down there for you but up here in Canada they are just screaming for trades people. A girl I know just became a welder and another friend wants to become and is working towards a heavy duty mechanics ticket. Me, I just like to talk and deal with people.

AnthonyShock1515
08-01-06, 06:28
I have a better chance at coming a translator or interpreter. I mean, listen tl all the language sets I have....
French
German
Italian
Norwegian
Polish
Czech
Hungarian
arabic
Icelandic
Greek
Japanese
Chinese
Russian

And I have a total of 19 books which I've spent over 210 over the past year.;)

Satu
08-01-06, 06:38
I'm older than most of you so I'll tell what I have done:

Flight Attendant - only did this profession for 3 years :) eventually got sick of the schedule changes and having to be polite to obnoxious people.

Events Co-ordinator - great job, but burnt out. To many long hours :hea:

Marketing - worked for a large company but didn't fit into the mens club, I was the only female in the dept. Double standards :mad:

Many other short term jobs and now I work as an Administrator for a manufacturing company.

The one thing I really wanted to do when I finished school was to become a Police Officer. Could not get into the Academy (too short).
There are no restriction now and I have seen offices smaller than me :(

Maureen Errant
08-01-06, 07:43
I have a better chance at coming a translator or interpreter. I mean, listen tl all the language sets I have....
French
German
Italian
Norwegian
Polish
Czech
Hungarian
arabic
Icelandic
Greek
Japanese
Chinese
Russian

And I have a total of 19 books which I've spent over 210 over the past year.;)

work in an embassy..................or a cruise ship.............see the world.............go for it.:jmp:

xMyrax
08-01-06, 10:22
Ballerina,Graphic Designer,Direrctor,Actress,Producer,Singer,Radio shows,Stunt Woman (WOOHOO!), Willy Wonka and bring Lara in Pyjama to life! If I failed to do that...I'll just sell the pyjamas! ^________^

Hopefully i'll achieve one of the above lol

Oh and Anthony, Arabic is really hard, its so hard that i'm bad at it myself :vlol:

Catlantean
08-01-06, 10:33
A necromancer :D But in the end I settled for the closest thing - computer nerd :p

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 13:54
Satu,can't you try again the police academy?

You've indeed lots of experience :)!

Myra, I totally support you in achieving Lara in pyjama!!Ballerina and stunt woman is a wonderful mixture :)!

And I hope Melonie and Catlantean may realize their projects,even because that's an area where few women work,yet!

Greenkey2
08-01-06, 14:04
I remeber watching a Horizon documentary about dinosaurs when I was five and wanting to be a palaeontologist. Sheesh talk about scaring condecending people asking a five year old 'And what do you want to be when you grow up?' :cln:

Then I wanted to be a marine biologist, then an artist. Currently (twenty-one soon!) I'm taking a life sciences degree and might one day go to medical school. We'll see :pi:

tlr online
08-01-06, 14:08
I always wanted to be a hockey player, and that's exactly what I became.

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 14:20
Are you talking seriously ;)? Give us proofs,Justin :mis:!What's your team?

AnthonyShock1515
08-01-06, 14:22
Well, you'll alwayts get those people who are destined to work in a bank with lots of money and secretaries throwing themselves at you, but they end up plunging toilets in McDonalds:p

tlr online
08-01-06, 14:22
I've always kept my professional and online life very seperate I'm afraid. Too many lunatics around :(

Anubis_AF
08-01-06, 14:35
Exactly what I am today. A fashion designer.

Although I also wanted to be an actor :D

tlr online
08-01-06, 14:44
Exactly what I am today. A fashion designer.

Although I also wanted to be an actor :D

Do you have any examples of your work?

AnthonyShock1515
08-01-06, 14:46
Oh and Anthony, Arabic is really hard, its so hard that i'm bad at it myself :vlol:

Are you kidding me!:cln:
Its so hard Im thinking of throwing the thing out!:hea:

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 14:46
*hides menacing anonymous letter to Justin*

You always gave me the idea you were someone with a liberal profession,involving computers,but not a game designer,though;instead,I've imagined you were that kind of expert who's called to solve highly complicated informatic problems and similar things :)!!

It seems I was wrong,lol!

But I agree with you about separating things;I also don't aprecciate very much giving details about me.

tlr online
08-01-06, 14:49
But I agree with you about separating things;I also don't aprecciate very much giving details about me.

I've had a few risky online-come-real-life experiences from ... er, shall we say over-enthusiastic folk, so now I keep things very separate.

Gabi
08-01-06, 14:58
I always wanted to be a hockey player, and that's exactly what I became.

A professional Hockey player??
I always thought you were doing it for a hobby.

I always wanted to work with children (after giving up my childhood dream of becoming a princess when I was about 4 years old), and that is what I am doing.

tlr online
08-01-06, 15:00
A professional Hockey player??
I always thought you were doing it for a hobby.

I always wanted to work with children (after giving up my childhood dream of becoming a princess when I was about 4 years old), and that is what I am doing.
Alas, only semi professionally atm. Ice hockey isn't a big earner (in the UK at least) so one does require additional streams of revenue.

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 15:04
I think I'm going to off-topic,lol!

I remember I had some pretty complicated experiences,since guys who wanted ,in the first chat,to know my personal data,and kept booking dates,and,once I denied,became highly unreasonable.I don't know what's the experience with you,boys,but normally,men ,when chatting with a woman,always become pathetic,making ridiculous and offensive seduction attempts.

The virtual world,I think,give us an illusory sense of security.

Anyway,perhaps one day,without knowing it's you,I'll be able to watch a game between your team and a portuguese one :)!Coincidence or not,I live in a town with a pretty solid hockey reputation,lol!

Back on topic: Before I've decided to be a psychologist,my love was History;I had my mother buying me History books which only make sense if someone decided to follow History,but I don't regret,because I still love the subject.But psychology was a flaming passion;I think i still don't know what hit me,but I really don't imagine myself being other thing.

Lol:you're a ice hockey player.Now I see,lol!

tlr online
08-01-06, 15:08
I remember I had some pretty complicated experiences,since guys who wanted ,in the first chat,to know my personal data,and kept booking dates,and,once I denied,became highly unreasonable.I don't know what's the experience with you,boys,but normally,men ,when chatting with a woman,always become pathetic,making ridiculous and offensive seduction attempts.

I had someone turn up on my doorstep once. An online friend thought it would be fun to fly to London, take the train to Portsmouth and knock on my door for a coffee.

I almost spat my breakfast all over them in shock. :yik:

LaraLuva4Eva
08-01-06, 15:14
I want to be sitting in an Office in Japan drawring Manga or something Japanese!
I want to be working for Naoko Takeuchi the creator of Sailor Moon etc.. Because i draw really good Sailor Moon :D As i am told :D As long as my occupation is JapaneseRelated or is in Japan :p

LaraLuva4Eva
08-01-06, 15:15
I had someone turn up on my doorstep once. An online friend thought it would be fun to fly to London, take the train to Portsmouth and knock on my door for a coffee.

Justin! Did it actually happen!!! OMG! :D

_Mica_
08-01-06, 15:16
OMG! :D

I agree!! :D

Anubis_AF
08-01-06, 15:19
Do you have any examples of your work?

I've got tons of planned drawings, but no scanner.

I've tried demonstrating my work using Photoshop, but it's not the same at all.

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 15:23

It's difficult to kept virtual relationships as such;as I said,in the virtual world,not always what we write is what it's going to be read,and that's hard to control. I'm not telling we can't make real (like in "friends we can see in front of us)friends in the net,but that's always complicated,at least for me.

That was purely invasive,a lack of respect. I think I'd just slam the door on his face!

tlr online
08-01-06, 15:24
.. or her face ;)

Ampersand
08-01-06, 15:26
That's scary. :yik:

Did they get their cup of coffee?

_Mica_
08-01-06, 15:26
Did they get their cup of coffee?

:D

tlr online
08-01-06, 15:28
Yes they did. I even paid for their train fare back to London.

_Mica_
08-01-06, 15:29
Yes they did. I even paid for their train fare back to London.

That desparate to get rid of them? :D I'd really flip if someone did that to me...

tlr online
08-01-06, 15:30
Now, when Elen turned up on my doorstep wearing her favourite black dress.....

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 15:32
Lol,I think ,for now,you'll have to get satisfied with the beauty pageant,in case Elen decided to participate,lolol!

I wouldn't have paid!I'd just tell her/him that someone lost track of things.Bye.Good riddance!

But I admit there are some members from TRF I'd like to see in my doorstep,lol!

tlr online
08-01-06, 15:34
Lol,I think ,for now,you'll have to get satisfied with the beauty pageant,in case Elen decided to participate,lolol!
Submitting your own pic?

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 16:30
When you submitt yours ( in the male beauty pageant, bien entendu;)!

BCL
08-01-06, 17:10
I bet TLR plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and with all his money has a secretary back in England take care of his computer and forum work.

tlr online
08-01-06, 17:12
I bet TLR plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and with all his money has a secretary back in England take care of his computer and forum work.
I think the Pens need more than me atm ;) Is Mario back yet?

BCL
08-01-06, 17:29
TLR, I don't think Mario's back yet. I'm shocked that a professional athlete could have heart problems. I thought excercise was good for the heart.

Guess I'm gonna spend more time on the couch!!!!!!

I always thought being a professional coffee taster when (or if) I ever grow up would be good, since I am addicted to the stuff. Not sure such a job exists, though.

Angel666
08-01-06, 17:30
I've never had anything as scary as having someone show up on my doorstep. In chatrooms I usually use false names and major cities that I don't live in. I've been a waitress, a UN translator, and a cook in a greasy spoon diner. (in chatrooms) In real life I have wanted to be an Egyptologist since I was about 9. Or an artist. Maybe a chef. I've also considered game design. I like to keep my options open. No matter what I do I want to travel. As long as I can do that, I'll be fine.

Nephili
08-01-06, 17:32
When i was a little kid, i really wanted to be a bus driver lol. When i went to secondary school, i got interested in I.T and wanted to become and I.T Technician, i went to college did a course in I.T Maintenance, but dropped out halfway through. Decided it wasnt my thing.

So now i want to be a Proffesional Photographer :D

tlr online
08-01-06, 17:34
Mario has been dogged by health problems for years. It's a great shame, he's one of hockey's greats.

_Mica_
08-01-06, 17:36
So now i want to be a Proffesional Photographer :D

I wanted to do that for a while but now I decided I wouldn't because my photography skills are ****. :p