PDA

View Full Version : We just had an earthquake!

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:38
WOW!!! I was shaking for 10 seconds!! It was not hard. I remember another earthquake we had some years ago. That was hard!!!

WOW!! Where is my cat? She disappeared :D

RAID
08-01-06, 11:40
It lasted for about 15 secs here. Scared the hell out of us.

You beat me to the thread ELEN :D

Kamrusepas
08-01-06, 11:41
Wow. I hope everyone's alright :wve:

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:42
You had an earthquake too, Raid? Where are you from? Malta?

larasfrend
08-01-06, 11:42
OMG! I hope everyone's ok!:( I also hope cat's ok!;)

Andromeda66
08-01-06, 11:43
Is it on the news?

RAID
08-01-06, 11:45
You had an earthquake too, Raid? Where are you from? Malta?

Yeah. Although I think it was a sea quake since it was felt in Greece too.

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:45
Yeah, it's on the news here in Greece.

I just heard that they felt the earthquake from around Greece :eek:

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:47
Yeah. Although I think it was a sea quake since it was felt in Greece too.

:eek:

Andromeda66
08-01-06, 11:47
Whats it read on the Richter scale

RAID
08-01-06, 11:48
I'll wait for the 13:00 news and see what they'll say about it.

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:50
I'm waiting to hear where was the centre of the earthquake. They said that they'll know in about 10-15 mins.

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:53
Just a bit of humor.

The crazy mother on the phone: Eleni, are you ok? Get dressed and get out of the house!!

Eleni: Mother, relax!!!!

:D

_Mica_
08-01-06, 11:54
:eek: Hope everything is ok! :wve:

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:55
Just heard that is propably a sea quake and about 6.5 Richter. They just guess. Not sure though.

Nephili
08-01-06, 11:56
WOW! I hope everyones ok!

RAID
08-01-06, 11:56
Just a bit of humor.

The crazy mother on the phone: Eleni, are you ok? Get dressed and get out of the house!!

lol
My friend on MSN:

Him: OMG Justin. We're gonna die, We're gonna die, We're gonna die, We're gonna die.

Me: Take it easy. It's over now.
*Sends Nodges*

:D :wve:

Anyway, everything ok there ELEN? :wve:

Satu
08-01-06, 11:57
:eek: hope everyone's ok

Apofiss
08-01-06, 11:58
Just a bit of humor.

Aw thats sweet lol! :D

I hope everyone is okay :hug:

ELEN
08-01-06, 11:59
6.4 Richter.
sea quake here in Greece.

They also mentioned that a quake was felt in other countries too. But they can't tell if it's the same.

ELEN
08-01-06, 12:02
Aw thats sweet lol! :D

I hope everyone is okay :hug:

As I can hear, everyone is ok, because it was made underwater and away from the land.

My cat!! Where the heck is my cat? :D She must have felt it and left the house. As the other time, she'll come back in 5 hours :p

xMyrax
08-01-06, 12:03
Wow. I hope everyone is okay, I hope the Cat is alright too ^^;

I had an earthquake two or three years ago, it was pretty cool I was in school studying Maths ^^

Kamrusepas
08-01-06, 12:05
Aww, I hope the cat comes back :wve:

ELEN
08-01-06, 12:06
Myra, I suppose you stopped the class. Felt happy for stopping Maths? :D

Ok, everything is ok now. I think I'll go and continue playing AOD :p

ELEN
08-01-06, 12:08
Aww, I hope the cat comes back :wve:

She will. Eventually, she will want to eat :p

Janny
08-01-06, 12:09

Ok, everything is ok now. I think I'll go and continue playing AOD :p

Have fun playing! :D Glad you're all ok! :wve:

Andromeda66
08-01-06, 12:11
6.4 :eek: I hope everything's okay. 6.4's quite strong :( Whats happening to the world?

Ampersand
08-01-06, 12:12
Hope everyone's all right - the cat, too. I've never experienced an earthquake myself, but it sounds pretty scary...

Andromeda66
08-01-06, 12:16
We had a few mild tremors here in Bombay which was really weird because coastal areas of India arent that prone to earthquakes. *Sigh*

Thorir
08-01-06, 12:21
Hey, isn't cats and some other animals supposedly be able to sense before an earthquake is coming? Before it happens? I've heard stories about that. Some types of birds also know when it will be thunder. Here's a short article:

EARTHQUAKE WARNING BEHAVIOR IN ANIMALS
In addition to traditional monitoring and other human predictions of earthquakes animals also can give us clues to impending earth activity. Warning signs before quake activity are not always present in all animals. It seems to be more common in rural and wild animals. The more desensitized or exposed the animal is to various conditions and noises the less the animal seems to react. Signs are present most commonly between 24 to 48 hours prior to earth activity but have been observed for up to 30 days in advance! Unfortunately they do not clue us into how large the activity will be.

CATS: Cats will be jumpy. You may see warning signs such as hiding, running around frantically trying to escape to the outside, hanging on screens and meowing, or behavior unusual for your pet. Many times they will be aggressive, or will want to stick close to or be on top of you. Pacing, hissing, or growling can also be symptoms. Most cats will hide, so check their favorite hiding places and behind cupboards, refrigerators, sofas, beds, in closets, in the backs of washers and dryers, and on top of cupboards, shelves and behind the water heater. Check small spaces in the backs of any appliance since they will often seek out dark and small areas

Maybe that's why your cat hid, Elen. ;) But I'm sure it will come back.

Hope everyone is OK!

Andromeda66
08-01-06, 12:31
Yeah Dogs and cats sense things we can't. My dog was very agitated for a few days before the tsunami and also a more recent earthquake.

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 12:40
I'm glad you are here, without any serious problem!:)

How were the consequences ?

tlr online
08-01-06, 12:42
:yik:

LaRaMaster
08-01-06, 12:52
I'm glad everyone's allright :)

tlr online
08-01-06, 13:05
This has just been reported on BBC World Service. :(

RAID
08-01-06, 13:11
How were the consequences ?

No damage has been done here in Malta. And I think ELEN said that it's ok now in Greece too :wve:

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 13:22
What a relief :)!

Sometimes,I get scared when I think something could happen again in Continental Portugal;our buildings aren't designed to stand earthquakes,which is the most idiotic and irresponsible thing!!!

Unfortunately,Azores suffer frequently Earthquakes,most of them not that serious.

RAID
08-01-06, 13:25
10x for your concern :wve:

And I hope your country and any country doesn't get hit by an Earthquake. :wve:

xMyrax
08-01-06, 13:27

Yah! It was so much fun! We usually go home a 3:30 PM but on that day we left on 12:25PM :jmp:

Veronica Ma
08-01-06, 13:27
My cat!! Where the heck is my cat? :D She must have felt it and left the house. Looks like she took your mother's advice. :vlol:
My goodness, hope everyone is ok. :hug:

Pipolinne
08-01-06, 13:29
She'll return,Elen,when she feels it's safe again :)!

I'm almost sure she should be in a secure place.

I wish the same,Raid :)!

Greenkey2
08-01-06, 13:54
Holy :cen:!! :eek: I hope you're OK Elen :yik: :hug: Hope your cat's alright too!

Sometimes we little tremors here, but that's due to old mining works in our area. We had one about three years ago that rattled the windows and spooked the cats, but it lasted only a few seconds. Dad was playing Grand Prix with a force-feedback joystick and didn't feel a thing! :vlol:

Tomb Raider Master
08-01-06, 14:11
I've just heard on the news. I hope you're all alright. :hug: :wve:

ELEN
08-01-06, 14:26
I'm here guys. I never left the house. I was playing AOD :D

Thanks for your concern :hug:

Looks like she took your mother's advice. :vlol:

Weird... They didn't talk on the phone :confused: LOL :D :p

Anubis_AF
08-01-06, 14:45
I'm glad you OK :hug:

Maybe Greece was shocked by the fact that maybe Lara killed Von Croy! Quickly, finish the game so everything goes back to normal :D

Give your cat a hug from me when she gets back :D

Gabi
08-01-06, 14:47
Weird... They didn't talk on the phone :confused: LOL :D :p

That was the 7th sense.......:D

I'm glad to hear that so far everyone is ok.

ELEN
08-01-06, 17:04
Didn't I tell you? My cat came back and she went directly to her plate in order to eat. Cats :rolleyes: :D

_Mica_
08-01-06, 17:05
:D Glad to hear that Elen! :wve:

Anubis_AF
08-01-06, 17:19
Did you give her a hug? From moi? :D

Thorn
08-01-06, 17:32
We don't get earthquakes in New York but if my cats ever heard a glass break (which they probably did :p ) they jump, run, and hide like kangaroo's! :D

nikos
08-01-06, 18:20
Athens reports 6.9 it was really serious earthquake and we are very lucky because the center of it was very deep in the sea and far from the land[between kytheara and creta!
Thats why earhquake reach middle asia to malta and south italy and croatia!

i was very lucky in person i was in bus and i dont get a "shake"!

i had a post with more infos here:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=596770&posted=1#post596770

I didn't saw helen's thread!

Also infos from all greece are here!

Felt in Many Areas of Greece

Strong Earthquake 08 Jan 2006 13:40:00

By Athina Saloustrou
Ε-mail Print

A strong earthquake, which lasted for a long time, measured 6.9 on the Richter scale and its epicentre was located in the sea, south of the island of Kythira, between the island and western Crete, rocked Greece at 1:34pm. The quake lasted some 30 seconds and the epicentre was located 215km SW of Athens and 92km NW of Chania, Crete. Apart from Athens, the tremor was also felt in Crete, the Peloponnese, Central Greece, Corfu, Epirus, Volos and Cyprus, while, as per the Associated Press, the quake was also felt in the Egyptian capital, Cairo. In addition, NET’s correspondent in Italy announced that the quake was also felt in southern Italy, as well as Sicily. According to Professor Gerasimos Papadopoulos of the Athens Geodynamics Institute, the quake was at a great depth, which limits the possibility of a stronger aftershock. Problems were detected with the mobile phone companies and calls could not be made for some time after the earthquake. Furthermore, problems with the telecommunications are also being reported in Crete. Moreover, the president of the community of Mitata, Kythira, spoke of major damages in the area, including the collapse of old buildings and extensive damage to newer constructions, while the church is also ready to collapse. In addition, two minor injuries were reported in Chania, while damages were also reported at the airport on Kythira.

No Reports on Injuries

Damages on Kythira 08 Jan 2006 16:01:00

By Athina Saloustrou

Local crews have recorded major damages to at least fifty old houses, the church and the paved area of the main square in the village Mitata, Kythira, while Piraeus Prefecture crews are trying to find a way to reach the island as soon as possible, after the earthquake that occurred at 13:34. The Prefect of Piraeus and Islands, Giannis Michas, who advised the residents to remain calm, confirmed the damages, while the local authorities have already arrived in Mitata to inspect the houses affected by today’s quake. Luckily most of the damaged buildings were abandoned. According to the Prefect, the road network towards Mitata has also sustained minor damages, while no serious damages have been reported in other villages, apart from a few brick fences collapsing. The island’s port authorities are on alert. The President of the community of Mitata told TV station NET that the main square, the church and the church bell sustained damages, while leaks were detected in the irrigation network and many old buildings collapsed. Damages were also reported in the airport on Kythira. Fortunately, no injuries were recorded on Kythira, while only two people sustained minor injuries in Chania, Crete. The quake was felt throughout Greece, from Rhodes to the Heptanese and from Crete to the border Prefecture of Kastoria, as well as throughout Western Macedonia, and mainly the Prefectures of Kozani and Grevena, where many locals contacted the authorities to find out details about the epicentre and the magnitude of the quake.

Quake Felt Around the Country

Chania Prefect Giorgos Katsanevakis asked inhabitants to keep their cool, as the consequences of the strong quake were mostly limited to damages on old houses. Most problems were reported in the city of Chania, where rocks slid, while a coffeehouse sustained minor damages without anyone getting injured. In Faleniana, Kissamos, an old uninhabited house collapsed, while in Platanos, Kissamos, a large rock fell in the backyard of a house, thus damaging part of it. Luckily, the old couple living in the house are safe and sound.
In Chania, Crete, one elderly woman broke her leg whilst trying to get out of her house, while a younger man was injured by broken glass in Rethymno.

The earthquake caused power cuts in Agia, but generators worked at once and no problems were reported. However, communication through mobiles phones was difficult for a while due to system overload.

The Fire Service received dozens of calls to put out small fires, as many housewives left the pots on the stove and abandoned their homes. In addition, several people were locked outside their houses.
Authorities started listing damages on all public buildings and schools, while school principals have been asked to report any damages.

The Mayor of Chania called all technical personnel to work, while the supervisor of the Chania Prefecture is in close contact with the municipalities of the area.

The Peloponnese

Furthermore, telecommunications are down in several municipalities of the Prefectures of Laconia and Messinia. No mobile phones or land lines are operating in Sparti and Kalamata, while the network is up and running in Gythio and Kythira.
The quake was felt around the Peloponnese. However, there were no reports on damages in the prefectures of Arkadia, Argolida and Corinthia. Lakonia Prefect Konstantinos Fourkas reassured no municipalities or communities have sustained damages.

Epirus

The quake was also felt in Giannena and the rest of Epirus. The inhabitants were alarmed at first because they thought the epicentre was in Epirus, but clamed down after hearing on the news the epicentre was hundreds of km away. So far, there have been no reports on damages around Epirus.

West Greece

There have been no reports on damages in west Greece. The quake was rather felt in Achaia, Etoloakarnania, Ileia and the Ionian island, while according to the Fire Service, there have been no calls for help. The quake upset inhabitants, who went out on the streets but quickly returned to their homes. Fire fighting forces and the EMAK are on alert.

Thessaly

The quake was felt moderately in the Prefecture of Trikala, where the locals commented mainly on the length of the tremor and not its magnitude. According to the Trikala Police and Fire Depts, no damages have been reported in the area.

Dodecanese

The tremor was felt on all the islands of the Dodecanese, however, it was not very strong, a fact that did not frighten the islanders. No damages were reported on Rhodes or the rest of the Dodecanese.

tlr online
08-01-06, 18:25
Helen? ;)

Maureen Errant
08-01-06, 19:05
I've only ever felt one earthquake. It was a small one right here where I live, and luckily we getvery few here although I'm just up the coast from California. I don't want to have to go through that again. I'm not afraid of much.......................but when your world shakes..............................

Draco
08-01-06, 20:08
I missed all the excitement :(

nikos
08-01-06, 20:20
:wve: Dont worry next time we will meet all toghether to have fun when greece collide with america!:vlol::vlol:

Can you realise that i was here and i miss the all fun???
:cen: busdriver run so fast i dont get a thing!!:vlol:

ben croft
08-01-06, 22:12
I'm glad you're okay. I wonder where your cat is. I love cats. :rolleyes:

SpongeBob Lover
08-01-06, 22:20
I hate earthquakes *come kitty kitty kitty kitty*

over here in CA we are expecting a BIG one *starts chewing nails*

Bokkie
08-01-06, 22:23
Everything okay?

Anyone else from Greece?

RAID
09-01-06, 07:36
It was felt in Malta, Greece, Italy and Egypt as well. :wve:

nikos
09-01-06, 13:40
Great Depth Excludes Strong Aftershocks!

Thanks god the great depth [70km],under the sea saved the country! :yik:

ELEN
09-01-06, 16:23
Helen? ;)

That was me :D

Nikos :hug:

BlackGrey
09-01-06, 22:16
Aww i hope your all okay its a day late sympathy but i am still concerned about Elen's cat, i love it how all the forum memebers make light of the situation. I was in a tropical storm once, i started singing:
'Its the end of the world as we know it...'
I was in a caravan and the damn thing kept wobbiling... Glad no one got hurt in the tremor :hug:

Pipolinne
09-01-06, 22:23
Our time,today.

A 5.5 earthquake in Lisbon and Lagos ( Algarve). No damage,whatsoever ( happily!!);strangely enough,I live 20 min far from Lisbon,and I didn't fell a thing.Nor did my cat.
I just keep thinking about the underwater metropolitam we're building!

BoyTRaider
09-01-06, 22:25
Wow!! That must've been a shock! :D I have been through one myself, but I must say that Tornadoes are pretty scary also!

Pipolinne
09-01-06, 22:27
It's no funny,Matt.Lisbon is above one of the major sismic zones on Europe.But I wouldn't like facing a tornado,either.

Hurrah4Lara
10-01-06, 00:47
:yik:

That is Right:yik:.

But on the H4L scale, 6.8 = :yik: :yik: :yik:

I have been told the technical term is a "Big Mama".:D

Glad everyone's OK.

H4L:wve: