PDA

View Full Version : The Birds are singing >1 AM!!!

illuminati30
11-01-06, 00:16
The birds are singing out side and its only 1.14 am and its dark! I have noticed this a lot recently because i have spent many a long night on these forums not getting to bed until late, but it usually starts at 3/4 am. Now this is scotland, and its winter and it does not get light until 8/9 am <i think, its been a while since i saw that time of day!> But why are they singing! Its stressing me out, it makes me feel like i am up and its the crack of dawn, whats going on!

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 00:25
I don't know Illuminati.............maybe you've stepped into a Twilight moment:hug:

xMiSsCrOfTx
11-01-06, 00:25
i have spent many a long night on these forums not getting to bed until late

Same with me! This forum is just too addicting. :wve:

illuminati30
11-01-06, 00:36
I don't know Illuminati.............maybe you've stepped into a Twilight moment:hug:

maybe, but it happens every night, maybe i am stepping into one every night! You have no idea how strange i find this!

xMiSsCrOfTx
11-01-06, 00:38
Maybe it's some sort of black hole or something! :D

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 00:47
Maybe it's a black hole in the twilight zone?:p I don't know, birds usually don't do stuff like that. Maybe Tramp, having so many birds, and knowing a lot about them might have an answer. I sure don't.:)

xMiSsCrOfTx
11-01-06, 00:50
Maybe it's a black hole in the twilight zone?

Quite possibly! :D Or it's a time loop or something. Good idea about asking Tramp on the birds thing, though. :wve:

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 00:54
Is this a new thing, or are you just noticing it cause you're up later. This weird thing could have been going on forever and you just didn't notice it......or is it just that Scottish birds are more into getting that worm.:jmp:

illuminati30
11-01-06, 01:01
I suppose it could have been going on forever and i have just not noticed, but i dont think so. Sometimes I would go for a night out and get home about 5/6am and thats when i would hear the birds, and i didnt like that as it reminded me that some people were just getting up. Anyway, i am off to bed now to listen to them sing, which is the strangest thing. I think they have just got very confused lol

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 01:06
G'night Illuminati:hug: Hopefully Tramp will read this thread and shed some illumination (hehe)

Tramp
11-01-06, 05:41
Hi Maureen, sorry I've been out most of the day shopping. Some birds only sing in the night, that's how the Nightingale got it's name. One of my Parrots (Kaspar) does his best Talking when it's dark. You go out there and you could swear someone is in the yard talking on the phone. He tends to talk more if the neighbour is making noise, like hammering or grinding etc.

Also if there is a light on somewhere that may be disturbing the birds sleeping pattern and they are waking up early. Not knowing what type of bird it is makes it a bit hard to tell. Some of our Lorikeets tend to talk in their sleep. They make funny noises all night, (a bit like humans talk in their sleep).

Sometimes their body clock just goes out of kilter just like it does with humans. We used to have a rooster that crowed at 2 or 3 am a long time before dawn when roosters are supposed to crow. Used to drive me mad as it was right under my bedroom window. Silly damn thing used to sleep in an old fridge and do absolutely terrible things to shoes. Was one strange bird.

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 05:48
Thanks for taking time to answer Tramp:hug: I didn't know that birds have a body clock......................must be really tiny:jmp: Maybe Illuminati knows specifically what kind of bird it is.

Tramp
11-01-06, 06:11
Birds definately have a body clock and they like routine. They hate it when you change things. I have had some of my birds give me a nip because I fed another cage before them and changed the order things were done. Also had them sulk for days when they didn't get their own way, or when I've put them away in their cage for being naughty.

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 07:02
:jmp: :jmp: just like kids eh?

Tramp
11-01-06, 07:06
Yep, just like 5 year olds. Only with the complications of sex and territorialism which makes it worse. They can throw the best tantrums. A friend who I hand raised a bird for went away for one night and the bird wouldn't talk to them for 3 days.

Lonely Istari
11-01-06, 08:52

rediculously so! this is the most addicted I've ever been to the internet. I can't believe its 4:48AM already! yeesh! time for me to finally hit the sack. G'nite :wve:

illuminati30
11-01-06, 13:25
Sometimes their body clock just goes out of kilter just like it does with humans. We used to have a rooster that crowed at 2 or 3 am a long time before dawn when roosters are supposed to crow. Used to drive me mad as it was right under my bedroom window. Silly damn thing used to sleep in an old fridge and do absolutely terrible things to shoes. Was one strange bird.

That certainly sounds like one strange bird! With a Shoe fetish and chillin out in a fridge! Thatís quite funny lol

Yeah I have heard before that birds have a circadian clock, and I think I heard that they can sense light via a part of their brain called the SCN, nothing at all to do with eyes, deep photoreceptors in their head, which is quite amazing really, although I might be wrong about this lol

I have also heard of birds rhythms being upset due to global change, and time of year etc, I hope its not this, although I donít think so, although the climate had changed a lot in Scotland in last ten years, I would say.

Unfortunately as its dark I have no idea were the singing is coming from, and even if I saw the bird, I donít think I would know what kind of bird it was anyway. Maybe i will try and have a look tonight, although i am shattered today, so think it will be to bed early tonight, well thats the plan anyway! 4 am probably!

Maureen Errant
11-01-06, 15:50
Yep, just like 5 year olds. Only with the complications of sex and territorialism which makes it worse. They can throw the best tantrums. A friend who I hand raised a bird for went away for one night and the bird wouldn't talk to them for 3 days.

They sound like quite a handful..................just like kids again.:)

Tramp
11-01-06, 21:10
Birds Circadian Clocks are definately out of kilter. My birds that used to go into moult (replacing old feathers with new ones) in January now go into moult in November. Having birds inside with artificial lighting and controlled temperatures also throws them out. Canary breeders who want their birds to breed at a certain time of year have them in a room with a timer switch and dimmers on the lights. They artificially bring on dawn at an earlier hour like it was spring and controlled temperatures. When spring comes around the days get longer and it gets warmer so they can fool the birds into thinking spring is here and they will start breeding.

Illuminati you probably have a nocturnal bird living near you (nocturnal birds and animals are ones that sleep during the day and roam around at night). This bird may have only just moved into the district, or it may have been that you were asleep and didn't hear it before. Owls are nocturnal but they are usually very quiet as they are hunting and don't want their prey to hear them or know that they are there.

Your right Maureen he is quite a handful. He goes on holidays with them and everything. Scientific test have shown that parrots have the intelligence level of a 5 year old especially when hand raised. So yes I treat them just like kids. Although my Sammy has adult habits, like having a little tipple. Yesterday he was having a dring of my wine. He's very partial to a sip of white wine. Also likes beer and Whiskey and Coke. I used to have one that we reckoned was a typicall Aussie male. He used to go to the pub, eat meat pies, get drunk, want to fight everyone then go to sleep.

illuminati30
12-01-06, 13:46
Hmmm I didnít really realise until recently how interesting they can be.

Are there any birds you hate? Personally I canít stand pigeons, the mess they make, and how dirty they are, and the way they see you coming and walk in front of you, or try and fly into your head! I used to think, to clean up city streets they should all be wiped out, to stop the spread of disease. Although I once heard that this happened in New York, but have no idea if thatís true or not. But at the same time I realise they are a species like everything else, and they are only trying to survive, and they wouldnít have to live in city streets if it was not for us. We created that environment for them.

ben croft
12-01-06, 16:09

Yes, this place is my home. :D

Catlantean
12-01-06, 16:11
@ Illuminati: People here often say pigeons are rats with wings, and I guess that in a way they are. Hehe, funny how so many people hate pigeons here, and yet those pigeons are so fat and shiny it's obvious they're being fed rather than just eating what they find in the street. Personally, I don't mind pigeons for as long as they don't try to attack me (and I've seen some rather aggressive ones, like in Venice...you stretch out your hand and they're already all over you :eek:).

illuminati30
12-01-06, 16:13
some people feed them up, i have saw people with them all over them, n their body everywhere. Dunno how they can do that!

Tramp
12-01-06, 20:13
It's supposed to be good luck if a bird does his business on you. Unfortunately it hasn't given me a lot of good luck. Personally I like Pigeons and Doves and I have hand raised a number of them that people have bought to me when they have found them fallen out of their nests. They end up staying here as they cannot really fend for themselves in the wild when hand raised. They can become so tame and quite affectionate.

I don't hate any birds, some birds can annoy me, like the Wedge Tailed Eagle that was flying around my place last year, 6 of my birds died because of him. They flew into the sides of the aviaries in terror and broke their necks. I wish he would go and hunt elsewhere.

Hurrah4Lara
12-01-06, 20:24
This is a very interesting subject!:tmb: Thank you Tramp & others, I have learnt new things.:cool:

illuminati, in consolation, my old landlord kept twelve 24-hour roosters! :yik:

And the opposite about birds: Remember the big solar eclipse a few years ago? The middle of the day yet all birds go silent. It is a powerful occurence!:cool:

H4L:wve: