PDA

View Full Version : Analysts, developers: PS3 to cost $399-$699

ben croft
12-01-06, 16:37
Informal CNN/Money poll finds many industry insiders think Sony's next-gen console will be mighty pricey.

Ever since the PlayStation 3 was announced, industry watchers have been prognosticating its price point. Just over a month after E3 2005, Merrill Lynch predicted the game would sell for $399, even though it would cost an estimated $494 to make--before labor.

However, when Microsoft announced the Xbox 360, which uses current-generation DVDs, would sell for $399, many thought the PS3's internal next-generation Blu-ray disc drive would push its cost higher. That assumption was reinforced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) last week, when the first stand-alone Blu-ray disc player was unveiled--with a $1,800 price tag. (The Xbox 360 uses conventional DVDs, but will get an external drive which supports Blu-ray's rival format, HD-DVD).

In the wake of CES, CNN/Money correspondent Chris Morris decided to poll a nonscientific sampling of game analysts and developers to see how much they thought the PS3 will cost. "Several developers I spoke with (under the condition of anonymity) said their studios were expecting the system to launch at $499," wrote Morris, who included quotes from analysts who concurred with the assessment.

However, Morris said that not all insiders' estimates were the same. Some pegged the console as matching the 360's $399 price point--which, according to last year's Merrill Lynch report, means Sony could lose more than $1 billion during the console's first year on the market. Several developers also lowballed the console at $450, while others said it could cost as much as $699. However, as Sony is staying resolutely mum on the PS3--until GDC 2006, anyway--no price is yet official.

By Staff - GameSpot

Source: GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142242.html?tag=nl.e513)

Chocobo155
12-01-06, 16:59
:eek: Oh...my...god...What the :cen: are they thinking?! Id the case made of platinum or something?! $699 for a games console?! Dear me...*crosses PS3 off birthday wishlist - relucantly replacing it with an X-Box 360*

Geck-o-Lizard
12-01-06, 17:03
I'm going to stick with my PC, as usual. :p

Dingaling
12-01-06, 17:09
It'll most likely be a lower end price - $399 - $450 - as they know too high will put too many people off. And, even though they may lose $1 billion that seems to only be from the console, they'd probably lose about 3/4 or 1/2 of that figure because they'd make it up in game sales and peripharels (sp) and accessories :)

Joseph
12-01-06, 17:17
The XBox360 basic version costs 299,- in my town. As far as i know, it is more powerful than the PS3, so they better not price it over the xBox360.

Dingaling
12-01-06, 17:20
The PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox360 in most parts, with the X360 being a bit more powerful in a few parts.

What I'm worried about is if they do a straight $ to £/€ conversion like they usually do. Say it came out at $400 in America, it'd end up costing us about $650 - $700. That really annoys me.

UNDERTAKER
12-01-06, 17:58
Hmm, with the 360 being easier to develop for, cheaper and with very little difference in power, this doesn't look good for Sony. Lets hope they can lower that price.

xMiSsCrOfTx
12-01-06, 18:00
$699?! Ohh hell no! How on earth can they make the PS3 so pricey? There goes my chance of getting one. Well, I guess it'll be PC/PS2 for me.

Mona Sax
12-01-06, 18:02
Hmm, with the 360 being easier to develop for, cheaper and with very little difference in power, this doesn't look good for Sony. Lets hope they can lower that price.
Considering the hype, there seem to be a lot of people who'd pay anything for a PS3.

LaRaMaster
12-01-06, 18:03
PS2 was on the release $500
I don't think it will go over that price this time , sony cant permite that with the concuration of Microsoft

Geck-o-Lizard
12-01-06, 19:26
The PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox360 in most parts, with the X360 being a bit more powerful in a few parts.

What I'm worried about is if they do a straight $ to / conversion like they usually do. Say it came out at $400 in America, it'd end up costing us about $650 - $700. That really annoys me.

Hmm? Other way round, 1 = $1.75, it'd cost less than 230 if they did a straight conversion. o_O

BTW you're from Scotland I see. ;) Whereabouts?

Spitfire
12-01-06, 19:32
$699?! Ohh hell no! How on earth can they make the PS3 so pricey? There goes my chance of getting one. Well, I guess it'll be PC/PS2 for me.
Oh hell no, is exactly what i said.
Doesnt matter to much, i havent really played a console game in forever, i think im gonna stick to PC games and thats it cause i feel like console games have been a waste sometimes...

Melonie Tomb Raider
12-01-06, 20:29
I don't care if it's $1,000, I'm getting one RIGHT away! Call me foolish, but money really is not an option when it comes to the PS3. It is with everything else, but not the PS3. ;) Honestly, I'll work for a month straight in a mine (without getting out :p) if I have to! lol!

tlr online
12-01-06, 20:30
I heard the Xbox 360 costs to make twice what it sells for.

robson001
12-01-06, 20:39
According to one game mag I was reading this week, the final cost for each blue-ray readers would be near $800 (the first batch), and if Sony decided to launch the console for $400 it would be the bankrupt for them.

robson001
12-01-06, 20:41
I don't care if it's $1,000, I'm getting one RIGHT away! Call me foolish, but money really is not an option when it comes to the PS3.Surely, for those who have too much, like you, I assume. :p

Dingaling
12-01-06, 21:06
Hmm? Other way round, £1 = $1.75, it'd cost less than £230 if they did a straight conversion. o_O

I really need a translator, I think I have problems with explaining... I think me and explaining don't mix :D

What I meant was that when the consoles were released instead of actually converting the price from $ to £/€ they swapped the signs, so the console in say America would be $400 but instead of converting it to it's real price (of £230 as you said) they would swap the sign so it'd be £400/€400.

Kinda ****py really. Companies do that a lot with us :(

And as for the X360 being easier to develop for and cheaper, Sony have bought a lot of Middleware companies so that the PS3 will be easier to develop for.

Oh, and I'm in Irvine :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-01-06, 17:18
From what I've heard, consoles sell for less than what they costs to make. Which is one reason why games are as expensive as they are, that's where they get their profits.

ben croft
13-01-06, 17:35
Hi robson.