PDA

View Full Version : One-Eyed Cat

TheEveningStar
12-01-06, 20:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/theeveningstar/capt.jpg
By TERRENCE PETTY, Associated Press Writer
PORTLAND, Ore. - A photo of a one-eyed kitten named Cy drew more than a little skepticism when it turned up on various Web sites, but medical authorities have a name for the bizarre condition.

"Holoprosencephaly" causes facial deformities, according to the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke, part of the National Institutes of Health. In the worst cases, a single eye is located where the nose should be, according to the institute's Web site.

Traci Allen says the kitten she named Cy, short for Cyclops, was born the night of Dec. 28 with the single eye and no nose.

"You don't expect to see something like that," the 35-year-old Allen said by telephone from her home in Redmond in central Oregon.

Allen said she stayed up all night with the deformed kitten on her recliner, feeding Cy a liquid formula through a syringe. She says she cared for the kitten the next day as well, until it died that evening.

Allen had taken digital pictures that she provided to The Associated Press. Some bloggers have questioned the authenticity of the photo distributed on Jan. 6.

AP regional photo editor Tom Stathis said he took extensive steps to confirm the one-eyed cat was not a hoax. Stathis had Allen ship him the memory card that was in her camera. On the card were a number of pictures including holiday snapshots, and four pictures of a one-eyed kitten. The kitten pictures showed the animal from different perspectives.

Fabricating those images in sequence and in the camera's original picture format, from the varying perspectives, would have been virtually impossible, Stathis said.

Meanwhile, Cy the one-eyed cat may be dead, but it has not left the building.

Allen said she's keeping the cat's corpse in her freezer for now, in case scientists would like it for research.

She said one thing's for certain: "I'm not going to put it on eBay."
Yahoo.com

_Mica_
12-01-06, 21:00
:eek: OMG!!!

Allen said she's keeping the cat's corpse in her freezer for now

That's disgusting!!

Tomb Raider Master
12-01-06, 21:01
OMG! :yik: Poor cat. :(

Ampersand
12-01-06, 21:01
OMG! :yik:

FourBalls
12-01-06, 21:03
That's sad :( How a living being must suffer...I can't imagine how it made it to the next evening, it had no nose.

scion05
12-01-06, 21:07
[IMG]
Allen said she's keeping the cat's corpse in her freezer for now, in case scientists would like it for research.

Yahoo.com

evil woman , bury the poor thing, not to the stupid labs so they can mall it :(

LaRaMaster
12-01-06, 21:07
Awefull...

xMiSsCrOfTx
12-01-06, 21:11
CYCLOPS KITTY! :eek:

Poor thing! They shouldn't put the little cat in a freezer! Does 'rest in peace' mean nothing to people these days? :(

Anubis_AF
12-01-06, 21:17
Awwww, this is so sad :(

Suzan
12-01-06, 21:19
Huh??? Is that it's eye?? How can it be open already :O

SkyGirl
12-01-06, 21:39
What she did was sick...
Poor one eyed kitty....I feel so sorry for him :(

Greenkey2
12-01-06, 21:48
OMG that is so scary! Poor cat! :(

I've seen similar deformities in animals before, but nothing quite as disturbing as this. That includes a two-headed snake I saw on BBC news the other day :eek:

SlinkyRaider
12-01-06, 21:51
:yik: OMG! That is really creepy! But I do feel bad for the little guy! :(

Geck-o-Lizard
12-01-06, 23:30
I don't think it was sick keeping the kitten to be examined. The cause of that condition is still pretty much unknown and there's no way to treat or prevent it yet, if more could be learned about it then kittens like Cy could be given a better chance of life.

Draco
12-01-06, 23:31
I too fail to see what is bad about how she handled it.

Maureen Errant
12-01-06, 23:37
Huh??? Is that it's eye?? How can it be open already :O

EXACTLY....................their eyes don't open for about 10 days.

Sorry guys, but I think this a hoax.

It it's true..........why wouldn't she have called a lab or a vetrinary school and asked them if they wanted it, rather than keep it in her freezer.

ELEN
13-01-06, 00:03
I'm really shocked now. I really am. This pic broke my heart. I can't even look at it again.

I hope it's not true.

Draco
13-01-06, 00:14
I'm really shocked now. I really am. This pic broke my heart. I can't even look at it again.

I hope it's not true.

:( here have a :hug:

Olvidarse
13-01-06, 02:32
EXACTLY....................their eyes don't open for about 10 days.

Sorry guys, but I think this a hoax.

It it's true..........why wouldn't she have called a lab or a vetrinary school and asked them if they wanted it, rather than keep it in her freezer.
Well, if its nose and eyes weren't completely formed, I doubt an eyelid was formed. It's probably not a preventable condition either. Some signals went awry during embryonic development - possibly due to the inactivation of certain chemical messengers. If there is no message to tell the puripotent cells to differentiate into specific tissues, there is no chance for the cells to express specific parts of the DNA sequence.

Such a malformation in humans usually results in immediate death.

It's all developmental biology, and it's all very fascinating... :) I feel bad for the kitty though. :(

EDIT: THIS (http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/mutant_flies/mutant_flies.html)website provides information about genetic mutations in fruit flies. Similar topic concerning gene expression. :wve:

Jacob x5
13-01-06, 07:50
That's strange. It's also sad that the kitten died the next day. :( Keeping the corpse in the freezer seems like a strange thing to do. Who cares if the labs want it, it's not up to them. She should at least bury it.