PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Something for the majority instead of pandering to the minority!

tlr online
14-01-06, 14:09
Britain should have a day to celebrate its national identity, Gordon Brown has proposed in a speech portraying Labour as a modern patriotic party. The chancellor used his first major speech of 2006 to urge Labour supporters to "embrace the Union flag".

In an address to the Fabian Society in London, he said it is important the flag is recaptured from the far right. Mr Brown said promoting integration had become even more important since the London bombings. "We have to face uncomfortable facts that while the British response to July 7th was remarkable, they were British citizens, British born apparently integrated into our communities, who were prepared to maim and kill fellow British citizens irrespective of their religion.

"We have to be clearer now about how diverse cultures which inevitably contain differences can find the essential common purpose also without which no society can flourish." He said society should not apply a narrow "cricket test" to ethnic minorities but needed a "united shared sense of purpose".

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41216000/jpg/_41216024_brown_apbody.jpg

www.bbc.co.uk

Catapharact
14-01-06, 14:17
If only things were seen through a Canadian Prespective:

Canada has to be one the most diverse nations out there. Everyone seems to get get along and fit in nicely. Whats more; they have taken the inniative of not being a military power but rather peacekeepers.

I like that a lot.

Edit: Still a supporter of Globilization tlr?

Neteru
14-01-06, 14:53
The chancellor used his first major speech of 2006 to urge Labour supporters to "embrace the Union flag".

No thank you. I don't support the union.

Catapharact
14-01-06, 14:59
No thank you. I don't support the union.

Well economically, its worth the investment :). However, countries with strong currencies like UK may not embrace it since it works to their disadvantage.