PDA

View Full Version : Underworld Thread!

Soma Holiday
14-01-06, 22:14
I am SO hyped for Underworld: Evolution. I canít even describe how excited I am, especially since itís less than a week away!!!:D But I know that there are a few Underworld freaks on here like me, and I was wondering what everyone thinks of the trailers and clips so far? I just saw a special on Starz about it, and it looks amazing! I am just so scared that Michael is going to die. I donít know why, I just have a feeling. That would really suck since heís such an amazing character. Hopefully neither him or Selene will die, but a lot of people seem to think that one of them will.:(

Anyway, I hope they bring Lucian back too, at least in the flashbacks. He was so awesome. And I hope that Kraven dies an agonizing and bloody death, I hated him SO much.:mad:

The new race looks really cool though, especially with the wings and all. And Iím SO happy U:E got an R rating. I was scared they were going to soften it up to attract an audience.

Iím just praying that it does good at the box office. The first one is so amazing that I would hate to see this one flop. So everyone go see it like 10 times ok? :p I know I will. :D

Anyone else an Underworld fan?

RAID
14-01-06, 22:27
I've watched the first movie, can't say i liked it though. But since I watched it, I'llprobably watch the second, since I wanna know how the story goes on. I hope it's better than the first.

_Mica_
14-01-06, 22:33
Anyone else an Underworld fan?

I am! :D I loved the first movie, and I can't wait for the new one! :jmp:

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 00:59
Glad you liked it Mica, and sorry that you didn't Raid. :(

But the original Underworld is on TNT right now! For anyone who hasn't seen it!!!

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-01-06, 01:13
Hi Soma :)

You know how much I love Underworld. ;) Lately I've been kind of skeptical about the next movie though. Worried more than anything. I would be absolutely devastated if this movie was a flop, because I have such high expectations. The first one was SOOOOO good, and I really hope the second one can live up to it.

Like you said Soma, I was worried it would get PG13 as well, but it didn't, so I'm glad for that. :p I hope the nudity isn't too bad, I know a lot of movies try to sell based on sex, and i"m hoping that U:E is not the same way. The ratings say it has some nudity though, but like I said before, I hope it's not too overdone. That would just be lame imo... If I had it my way it wouldn't have any at all, but I'll live.

I can't believe it's finally about to come out though, I've been waiting FOREVER!!! Like Soma said, everyone watch it like 10 times!!!! lol. :p

SkyGirl
15-01-06, 01:57
I didn't like it that much..but I can't say I totally desliked it :p But I hope that Michael doesn't dies...damn he's hot!! :D

tombraider_roxs
15-01-06, 03:17
I enjoyed the first movie, and would like to see this new one -- but unfortunately the theatre around here mostly only plays "PG-13" movies (as I live in a small town) so it's rather hard to travel 30 miles to see a movie. Hopefully I can though, it sounds very interesting!

Thorn
15-01-06, 03:20
I live in New York. When is it in theatres?! :D

lita212
15-01-06, 03:22
i liked the first film although because it has so much action i have to be in a certain mood to watch it. i want to see the new one even though imo i dont think the trailer shows much about the story

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 04:18
It comes out Friday Thorn. ;) January 20th.

And as for the original trailer, it REALLY dissapointed me. I though it looked ALL action and nothing else, but after watching that special again today I have gotten so hyped once again. I've developed my own theories on the story, but for some reason I think Marcus is going to be nicer than everyone thinks, I mean, I think he's going to side with the werewolves or something, even though he seems to have his own race now. I've got theories on Micheal too, but I don't want to give potential spoilers away.

Anyway, I agree with Mel that I hope the nudity is minimal, though I doubt Beckinsale will be the one who is showing the skin, I think it will be Tanis's girlfriend, since she apparently likes to walk around in underwear all the time lol. Plus being that Wismen is Kate's husband...yeah.

I just hope that it has gotten a large following and that all the fans will go see it. The budget was so much bigger that there's no telling what will happen, and I think they're keeping the story secret so everyone will be surprised...just like TRL hehe.

And incase anyone missed it...the original is airing again on TNT in about an hour! ;)

Just to blabber some more, the soundtrack (both of them) from the first movie are incredible. Not to mention the Prequel to the movie Underworld: Blood Enemy, which is probably my favorite book ever. Also, if you haven't seen it, you should definately check out the unrated version, which has much more character development and a more romantic storyline, if the action is too much. ;)

Wow...even I can tell how excited I am...the nerd in me is escapeing!!

:D

Thorn
15-01-06, 04:20
Instead of watching The Matrix I'm watching Mad TV. :D So it'll be on again at midnight?

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 04:25
Wow, didn't realize how long the Matrix is....so it's gonna be on at 1am. You should definately watch it or tape it if that's too late. It isn't the extended version, but it's still awesome. That is, if you're into gothic scenery and gun-wieling vampires who fall in love with sexy werewolves hehe. :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-01-06, 04:39
I read somethign from some one who claimed that they already watched the movie, and according to them, the only nudity is from one girl, not Kate. Which is a relief.

My theory is that if a movie tries to sell off of sex, then it's obviously not a very good movie. I don't think U:E is like that though, since the nudity is pretty minimal from what I've read. I'm sure I won't be disapointed. :)

Thorn
15-01-06, 04:41
Wow, didn't realize how long the Matrix is....so it's gonna be on at 1am. You should definately watch it or tape it if that's too late. It isn't the extended version, but it's still awesome. That is, if you're into gothic scenery and gun-wieling vampires who fall in love with sexy werewolves hehe. :D
HELL YEEEEAH!!! I'm staying up real late tonight anyway. It's hard being in a gang... wait nevermind. :p

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 07:19
lol :D Hope you're liking it! I was inspired to pop in my DVD tonight. I hadn't watched it in so long...can't wait to see what you think!!

And that's what I was talking about Mel, and I'm glad too! There's a brunette girl in the trailers who seems to be Tanis's girlfriend....and she also seems too strut around without clothes lol. But if you notice, there is alot of partial nudity in the first movie, from Raze, Pierce, and Erika (in the extended version at least) I hope it doesn't exceed that much.

Smith will Suffice
15-01-06, 07:24
new poster for evolution just released

its hot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/gandalf_smith/photodir2.jpg
-Smith

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 07:28
hehe, I actually sent an email to Elen this morning featuring that for my new avatar. ;) It looks great with all the snow effects and the battle in the background. I might just have to add it to my collection.:D

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-01-06, 08:02
new poster for evolution just released

its hot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/gandalf_smith/photodir2.jpg
-Smith

WOW!!! :eek: Haven't seen that one yet!

Looks like you're gunna have the collest avatar around Soma. ;)

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 14:58
hehe of course. ;) Which brings me to another question...what is your avatar? It looks very beautiful but I think I'm having a hard time seeing it...it looks like a girl lying down but what is it from?

*EDIT*: It's up!! Thank.you. Elen! *Does happy dance* :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-01-06, 17:34
Looks great Soma. ;)

Any way, my avatar is from the GC game called "Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance". It was originally a pretty bright pic of an angel with blone hair, but I thought I'd make it darker instead. She looks better as a brunnette too. :p haha.

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 18:34
Sounds cool, I'll have to look into it. And I'm glad I was looking at it right hehe. ;)

But I just checked out the U:E official site and it was really interesting and gave alot of info on some things, like the Corvinus bloodline, things I didn't even know, like Marcus and William being Corvinus's direct sons, and that William is such a powerful lycan that he can't even take a human form!! :EEK:

I also realized that Marcus isn't the one who's exiled, Tannis is, so that cleared up ALOT for me. It's a really nice site with some animations and music, but I can't get the game to work...PC's too slow. But I've heard it isn't much to brag about.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/underworldevolution/ (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/underworldevolution/)

I wish they'd release a quality Underworld videogame...that would be amazing!

lorien elf
15-01-06, 19:12
Great! I was wondering if we had an Underworld thread yet! Woot! I so loved the first movie and I wasn't really into the vampire/werewolf thing anyway but the first film, imo, was awesome. I hope they filmed the second movie in the same blue lens as they did with the first and I hope that the second film didn't change too much from what made the first one so good. I don't want for the second one to become hollywood corrupted, though it may. I understand though the disinterest in the nudity part because I too know that's done just to make a movie sell more. So is having a well-known actor in a film or adding more and better special effects like blowing this up and all that--they add that stuff in just to attract an audience and most of the time that ends up ruining a movie when they're too focused on making money off of it. But anyway, I'm still too excited about this next one to let any of the worries/concerns about it get me down. I've been waiting for a long time for its release, imo, and I so dont want to miss it. Yay! This week better fly by so that I can go see it really soon on friday! Wooot! only thing I'm really looking forward to for this week. Wheeee! I loved the film and I finally read the prequel book, Blood Enemy and I really enjoyed that as well. There's already a novelization for the sequel out but I've not read that yet 'cause I don't want it to spoil the movie for me. I don't want to know what's supposed to happen before I even get to the theatre, lol. I hope Michael doesnt die though. I hadn't thought of that. It would suck as he was technically the first hybrid, and he's apparently a nice guy. ANd stuff like that. I'm glad too that this movie has Alexander in it. I'd wondered briefly about him, since he was the first immortal of the two races, what on earth had happened to him?
But I think the site explains that somewhat. I wonder if Marcus will want to free his brother, William, now that Marcus is a hybrid and enjoys the extra power he has. He may want to see if his brother can become a hybrid too? even though they can't control William since he's a really powerful lycan and can't even change back to human form.... hm. This should be interesting, regardless. :) Woot! I'm so excited. Hehe.

Soma Holiday
15-01-06, 20:49
Yes, they still have the blue lense!! :D It wouldn't be the same without it! hehe. And hopefully it will still have character development. I'm wondering id Erika and Raze will return, since I think Raze could still be alive, and Erika definately is. I thought they were interesing characters, so I'd like to see them return.

And I didn't know the novelization was already out! I'll probably get it, but I'm still going to see the movie first, it's just better that way. :) And you've read the prequel, so wouldn't that make a GREAT movie?! I hope this one does well and they decide to make a prequel all about it, it would be a tear-jerker. :(

But I think the site explains that somewhat. I wonder if Marcus will want to free his brother, William, now that Marcus is a hybrid and enjoys the extra power he has. He may want to see if his brother can become a hybrid too? even though they can't control William since he's a really powerful lycan and can't even change back to human form.... hm. This should be interesting, regardless. :) Woot! I'm so excited. Hehe.

That would be incredible!! I would love to see the brothers teaming up, and I wonder if the newer more sophisticated Lycans would side with William aswell, since he's more of an animal...very interesting!! Now I'm even more anxous! hehe-if that's possible! :D

lorien elf
16-01-06, 06:52
Yessss!!! Thank you!!! :hug: That's the best news I've heard of it yet!! Wheee! Hehe, I loved the blue lens. Me thinks that's what made the first film so great, err was integral part of it. Anyway, I guess I've already said that. Hehe, amongst the other things I have to get sometime, I'd also like to get the unrated, extended version of the first film. I want to see those extra few minutes of the movie as well as the dvd extras, which I love.
Oh yeah, I liked Raze, he and Erika were definitely interesting characters. I really hate that Khan died, since I liked him too. And Lucian especially. I felt sad for him, heh, especially after reading the prequel. It just sucks for him. I still can't get over the fact that he died with Amelia's blood so close to him, that's how it happened, right? ANd why couldnt he have just injected himself with both before Kraven showed up? grrr, but at least he had Michael's blood, maybe that will show up in this film? Hehe, I do want the book. But I guess I"ll make myself wait, well, not that I'd actually get it before I see the film anyway, but yeah, I can't wait to read and then see the movie.
I hope I'm right about the book though, am pretty sure that I saw it. In fact, I picked it up and looked at it and then realized that it was Evolution so I put it back, can't read it yet. Had the snowy pic on it, me thinks, the one that might have been on the website. I couldnt find a book for the first Underworld movie though. maybe I just didn't look carefully enough. I've missed stuff before like that...
Yes! A movie of the prequel would be great. And they could make it sad and all. I felt bad for Viktor's wife (sorry for spoilers) but more so for Sonja. I hate losses. and Imo, Viktor just made it worse for himself with his decision to have Sonja killed...because of his fear, or something. In the book, she was really sweet and so likeable and it was a shame....and I hated Leyba, hehe.
I do wonder what William will be doing in the movie, if he doesnt team up with his brother but it would be cool if they worked together. The trailer makes it look like Marcus is in opposition to whatever Selene and Michael are doing and not because M's a hybrid and S killed Viktor, you know? Maybe it's cause there's actually damaging information that Tanis either knows about or has access to? I wonder what that could be? What else could the vampires be hiding? hehe. I hope this week goes by super fast! :D

Soma Holiday
16-01-06, 23:51
I LOVE Kahn. I remember it when he died the first time I watched it...it was so sad. :( I think it would've been cool to see him fight with Selene, since I know he would've sided with her, but....:(

I've thought about the whole Lucian/Amelia's blood thing too, but I doubt if the writers did haha. But maybe their keeping it quiet and they'll surprise us in the movie! Since Micheal Sheen seems to be mentioned a lot, but that's probably just in flashbacks.

And I actually cried when Sonya died in the book. She was so likable. It really made me hate Soren, so seeing him in the movie was even worse!

And I saw the new book on Amazon. I think I'm going to order it and the new soundtrack, since I love the first ST so much. I just hope this one lives up to it. But someone who read the book said that it was completely different than what they expected, so we'll see! ;)

imaginarylight
17-01-06, 01:02
I love Underworld! I cant wait for the evolution im going to see it probably on saturday, I saw the first one on the opening night. For some reason I also think micheal may die, cause one the starz special you were talking about they were talking about stunts and they showed his and showed a clip But yeah I hope he doesnt die.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-01-06, 01:05
He better NOT die, I'll be so mad if he does!

Arianwen
17-01-06, 01:09
Typical, living here in the UK I have to wait for ages *cries*

I absolutely adore the first film hehe, I was really hoping they were gonna make a second! The only hype we've gotten here is a few posters on bus stops, and I don't know if it's even going to be playing at my local cinema. I don't want to pay train fare to go see so it better!

Soma Holiday
17-01-06, 01:42
by imaginarylight
For some reason I also think micheal may die, cause one the starz special you were talking about they were talking about stunts and they showed his and showed a clip

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, and I got really depressed until I realized something, and I think it'll be a surprise so I don't want to say it yet on the open forum, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be right, and it would be awesome if I am!! ;) It would also mean that he won't die haha. But I won't point it out until after I see the movie. ;) So no worries! (If either of them die I would go insane-no romeo and juliet in that aspect I hope!!)

I was surprised how much they showed during that special, but I'm glad I watched it cause it completely revitalized my hope in this movie. :)

And I hope you can see it soon Arianwen! I'd also go insane if I couldn't!! :( Oh yeah...Welcome to the Forum fellow Underworld Fan!! :D

madderakka
19-01-06, 23:21
In Maxim magazine the director said there will be an r rated love scene with Kate and Scott. He also said he tried to make this movie "sexier and more violent" than the last which usually doesn't bode well for sequels. ::sigh::

lorien elf
19-01-06, 23:46
*mumbles gibberish nonsense (redundant, hehe) to self* damn it. I hate that part then, some folks have talked about the sequel maybe not being so good since typically they arent. And that does not make me happy, hearing that something that could ruin the second film is going to be in Evolution. but I'm still excited about it though, even if I dont get to see it tomorrow. Thing is, I'm bubbling with excitement, lol, and If I released it, I might actually get up and dance around. Hahaha, but hopefully I'm not that much of a dork, or loon. Hehe, anyway, back to the movie...
I wonder if the writers just left the blood thing out? I can't stand it when ppl do that, have something major in a film or story that I'd like to see recognized or mentioned later on but they just ignore it.that could be the saving grace for Lucian, or not, but at least they could address it. And sure, Lucian could have been dead already by the time Raze arrives and I understand his anger, but maybe, in a like situation, well, if that could happen, but anyway, I'd at least try to give him the vampire blood. I am stubborn, lol, and would not so easily accept that he's dead. *sigh* looks like I"ll just have to deal with it though. And yeah, I really hated it when Sonja died, and even more so that Leyba lived while Sonja didn't. She really was so sweet, and it was terribly sad that she died as she did, burning to death esentially. And the child within, never had a chance to live.... that really made me dislike Viktor. He made a rule that ended up backfiring on him and he just couldnt bend around it to save his own daughter. and he thought he was so much better than mortals... he killed her for some stupid Covenant... meh, anyway, heh, I saw the Underworld book online too, just to check and see what they had, if the Evolution one was out too and I think I"d like to order it sometime as well.
Oh yeah, I really did like Khan as well. I hate that my favorite characters die in movies like that. :( They should have killed kraven's sorry butt. Oh yeah, and like you said, I really hated Soren even more after reading the prequel!! He was just looking forward to advancement within the vampire ranks, what a *****! He thought that delivering that bad news to Viktor would gain him favor. I think he should have been treated as Leyba was, simply for his impertinence, arrogance and stupidity. Heh, I think I be rambling. Oh well, happy I be about the movie! woot! :D

Soma Holiday
20-01-06, 16:52
Hmm, I hope the sex scene isn't too bad...it would ruin the movie if it was. I knew it was in there, but I was hoping it be just the generic one you see in so many movies, we'll see. Maybe that nudity will be Scott! hehe.:mis: Yeah right...we girls never get to see the hotties...it's always the girls strippin. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with everything you said lorien elf, about the prequel. And I ordered the Evolution book yesterday! And the soundtrack, since the 1st one was so good.

But I'm going to see it tonight at 7!! And if I like it enough I may go back and see it at 9!! hehehe.:cln: They say it runs 1 hr 45 min, which is about the link of the original, non-extended cut.

Anyway, I've noticed something strange...has anyone seen how Michael looks so wierd in some of his hybrid pics? I thought he looked incredible in the first movie, since he was basically a tough human with fangs and claws, but some pics I've seen look...freaky, like his face is all distorted, then others look like he did in the first movie. I'm hoping its another hybrid or something, or maybe it will be explained, but it would be dumb to change it that dramatically without explanation.

But...I'm counting down the seconds till 7!! I'll write a review for everyone afterward if I have time...spolier free of course. ;)

WOOT!!! 2 1/2 years! It better be worth it....or I'll have to speak with Mr. Wisemen personally.;)

imaginarylight
20-01-06, 23:46
lol Im going to se at 7 tonight also and Im also getting the soundtrack cause I love the first one. lol We will be seeing the movie at the same time! Cant wait!

lorien elf
21-01-06, 02:51
Hahahaaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAW IT!!!! WOOOT!!! EEEEEEEEEEE!!!! *DOES LITTLE HAPPY DANCE* I SAW UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION!!!! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I BE SO HAPPY!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! WHEEEEEEEE!!! FINALLY! AFTER 2 YEARS!! HAHAHA, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT HAD BEEN SO LONG!!! AHHHHHHHH!! I SAW IT! I SAW IT!!!!! oh man, I'm so glad. The wait is finally over. I would like to see it again, and again. I wonder now what the uncut version looks like? This one was so great, I loved it. And I must say, without spoilers and as best as I can do, some of the stuff you were talking about Soma was pretty damn near correct. I couldnt believe it! I was thinking, "noooooooo! you *******s!!!" but then it was ok and I"m really happy with the ending. I think I want to read the book to this one. Sheesh, I wonder if they cut anything out? We got to see a bit more of Amelia. I actually liked her. I just wish we could have seen more, you know? I would go there and sit for three hours watching the entire film, if I could. Why must they shorten it? hehe, there were a lot of younger people there, surprisingly and the sex scene wasn't so bad. I thought it was sweet. they did show a lot more than I'd expected but still, it wasnt that bad. And stuff. It was so great, me loved it. Someone didn't like the end scene but I wondered if maybe they'd just cut parts out of it? hehe, me thinks we americans, at least us, maybe you guys too lol, have gotten very used to violence, as in there has to be a lot of it for the scenes to be satisfactory. Ok, I be rambling but yay!!!! I saw it!!! Muahahahahahahahaaaa! I hope they make a third one, and if they don't, I.... dunno. but they must! Woot! Michael's cuttie. I like Selene much and other stuff was interesting. So, I'll shut up now. :D

Soma Holiday
21-01-06, 04:15
I think there's something wrong with me....

...cause I hated it. :( And I seem to be the only one.

I've never been so dissapointed, cause it felt nothing like the original to me, just more action and blood and sex, but no real character development like in the first. I dunno, maybe I need to see it again, but right now I feel so let down. I miss all the characters from the first, and the mansion, and the way the war felt like an actual war instead of one man going crazy. I hope they cut alot out, cause it felt really short and lacking in the conversational department.

I still love the first one though.

I'm gonna PM you, I got some questions that maybe will help me like it more. :(

And as for my predictions, they ALL came true lol, pretty obvious from the clips they showed.

*sigh* It's just like what happened with The Mummy Returns...

imaginarylight
21-01-06, 04:32
I just got back from seeing it I was disapointed but I still thought it was great. But the first is much better because it is more unique than the second one but I still liked the second one alot, Im just kinda confused on the ending. Now we get to wait for the third movie if they make it but I know its in the talks stage and its supposed to be a prequel so maybe we can see all of the old characters and how they came to be. Im sorry you didnt like it soma cause I know you were really looking foward to it, but maybe the second time will be better.

Melonie Tomb Raider
21-01-06, 04:44
aww man, that stinks that you hated it Soma, now chances are I'll probably hate it too. :( That's horrible!

I would have watched it already, but my dad JUST came home from Iraq yesterday, so I've been spending a lot of time with the fam lately. I'm going to try to watch it Next week though. I'll probably bring my mom, she watched the first Underworld movie with me (opening day), so it's liek a tradition I would like to stick with. :p She's a cool mom. :cool:

Again though, Soma and I have such the same taste, I'll probably hate it too... We'll see. I can only hope. :(

Kiss-Bite
21-01-06, 04:52
I love Underworld, the opening sequence is very stylish with Celine crouched in the bell tower in the rain. I like the imagery & the Devil May Cry-esque action, the damned Romeo & Juliet-esque story & Celines Lara-esque attitude. :D

I bought the extended version DVD, It's just great entertainment! I like the look of Marcus in the new film & it looks like it has great action sequences, hope It's better or as good as the first! I may get to see it in theatres or wait & buy it on DVD.

Soma Holiday
21-01-06, 05:16
Who knows Mel, you may absolutely love it haha. ;)

And Iím glad you werenít quite as disappointed as me imaginarylight lol. :p

I dunno, the more I think about it the more I think it was ok, it just seems like a completely different movie. I like the mellowness of the original. It is very slow and drawn out, and the ending is such a surprise. The ending on this one just seemed wierd, and I can't figure out what they would base the next one on, but I think they're starting to get a little ahead of themselves if they go were I think they might. (Though Evolution was NOTHING like I thought it would be, so apparently I know nothing hehe:D)

I liked the beggining of the movie, after the prequel part, though the action seemed rushed and too quick right then, but towards the middle I got confused and it felt different, with the whole clean-up crew. (Don't worry, that won't spoil it, but people who have seen it will know what I mean.) That seemed different and strange, and kinda ridiculous too, since he was way to devoted considering the situation. I didn't understand the baddie's motives either....
The ending was decent, though the fighting and gore got a little over-the-top at times and the ending was kinda short.

But I still hated how Michael looked. He wasn't hot anymore, but wierd and monster-ish. He looked much better at the end of the first movie.

Anyway, I hope you like it Mel. If you casually like movies and don't obsess over than like me, you'll be fine. I'd just picked my hopes up so much that I guess even incredible would let them down.

The CGI looks good most of the time, other than some of the changes, like Michaels, but the ending CG is incredible.

lorien elf
21-01-06, 05:55
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part with Michael. I think they changed his nose. That's one thing about him that was different, and they might have changed his chest as well, so that his rib cage wasn't so "pronounced"? I didnt like the change much either. the nose didnt even look like a snout. err, I mean, he was hotter in the first film. ANd yeah, I was just so glad to have finally seen it, you know? We've been waiting for so long. Heh, sad as it may be, it was the only thing I was looking forward to this year, honest. I'm so sorry that it disappointed you though, Soma. I see now, after reading your posts, how it was different. It didnt have the same feel as the first. I mean, you'd have to tell me once again that they'd filmed it with the blue lens, for one thing. I did like how Selene moved in this one, in the fight that they showed in the clips, so as to not give too much away, she just moved like the myths sometimes say vampires can do. And yeah, it was actually focused on Marcus, like I'd thought it would be, since I'd been reading other people's fanfics and all that, it's just that I didnt realize how much it would include him. It says a lot more for you though, Soma, that you could predict some of the things that would happen. You were right about Michael...and the part you didnt share turned out to happen, if I am right about what you were thinking. I didnt expect that either, so I was glad that it ended as it did. And I hope that Kate comes back as Selene in the third film. I really like her.
I do wish they'd done more with the background but maybe they just left that out since they're doing a prequel movie? I didnt realize that they might, you know? But that's good. I hope they pick up from this second one though, since well, I want to see it rather than just imagine what happens, lol. It's the coolest ending, imo, and open for some neat changes afterwards.
But yeah, I wanted to see more of the aftermath of the night Viktor was slain, what really happened with the vampires. I just have to assume that since they didnt include that stuff in this film, that they'll have it later on. I'm already excited about the potential third film. I do hope they make it.

madderakka
21-01-06, 06:51
Hey Lorien, can you add a spoiler alert to the last part of your post? Thanks

Melonie Tomb Raider
21-01-06, 07:06
Well the more I read what you have to say of the movie, Soma, the more it worries me that I won't like it. Like you, I obsess over movies that I like. That goes with pretty much everything though. I'm either passionately obsessive about something or I don't like it at all, there really is no in between. Well there is, but that's pretty rare that anything falls under the category.

I am so obsessed with the first Underworld movie, I have a feeling I'm going to be highly disapointed with this next one. When you said it isn't as slow paced and drawn out like the first one, I started to get even more disapointed. All of my favorite movies start off slow and draw themselves out. That's the way a movie should be in my oppinion. It's stupid to just dive right into it.

Although, I had expected the movie wouldn't be too good after I saw the trailer. It seemed to me like they tried to sell the movie based on sex and cg. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE computer graphics, that's what I'm majoring in, but I hate it when movies have too much of it. You should NEVER try to sell a movie on that imo, that's supposed to accentuate the movie, not be it's main feature.

One thing I liked about the first Underworld is that they wanted to get by using as little graphics as possible. I'm pretty sure they even had Kate do the backflip too, since they didn't want to use graphics. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive I read that. The fact is, the first movie had a compelling storyline, and that's why people loved it. There was absolutely NO sexual stuff (except in the extended dvd...), far from an overuse of graphics, and no cheesy dialogue.

On the other hand, from what I've seen in the trailers, they have showcased that the movie has sex, an overuse of cg, AND cheesy dialogue. It's was too "Hollywood", where as the first movie was different, and fell inot a category of its own.

I am definitely going to watch the movie, since I'm a huge fan of the first one, but I highly doubt I will like it...

Soma Holiday
21-01-06, 16:03
by lorien elf
But that's good. I hope they pick up from this second one though, since well, I want to see it rather than just imagine what happens, lol. It's the coolest ending, imo, and open for some neat changes afterwards.

That's what I don't like, is the fact that they didn't need those changes.

MINOR SPOILERS

I was expecting Selene and Michael to take off where Lucian and Sonja left off, to be hunted because they felt more for one another than what was allowed. I also thought that maybe they would team up with the Lycan's to go against Marcus, but instead, all the the Lycans were left out, and all the vampires, and it was just a story about Selene, Michael, and Marcus.

It seemed choppy too, like the scene with Tannis seemed put there just for plot depth, where the first movie had a scene for everything, and it was smoothly implemented.

END SPOLIERS

It's just like Mel said, very 'hollywood.' The first one had a small budget, so that was impossible, but this one has obviously bit off alot of the story and taken it over-the-top way too much. But it can completely be non-associated with the first one IMO, since it really doesn't have anything in common with it, so I guess that's a good thing...if you dislike this one enough, you can pretend it's just a bump in the story that doesn't really matter in the overall scope of things, the cleaners just dumbed it up for me, so maybe that's why I disliked it so...

but I'm going to see it again either tonight or tommorow, so hopefully I'll find something to like about it, but right now....I feel like slapping Len Wisemen in the face.

BlackGrey
21-01-06, 17:13
OMG just watched the trailer and WOW!!! Seriously :cln: havn't seen the first but does any one think her voice should be used for Lara Crofts voice??? :D

lorien elf
21-01-06, 19:05
Hey Lorien, can you add a spoiler alert to the last part of your post? Thanks
Actually, my anger at myself for making that mistake makes me overlook the rudeness of your post. It's good that you're actually right about it though. I can't believe that I'd make that damn mistake after I was trying to take care not to do that. I apologize to others who've read that and well, have had that ruined for them. I must try to put that off as a mistake due to fatigue or whatever.

madderakka
21-01-06, 19:07
How was my post rude? I didn't yell at you for spoiling a major plot point. I was very polite and even thanked you in advance for complying.

lorien elf
21-01-06, 19:16
That's what I don't like, is the fact that they didn't need those changes.

MINOR SPOILERS

I was expecting Selene and Michael to take off where Lucian and Sonja left off, to be hunted because they felt more for one another than what was allowed. I also thought that maybe they would team up with the Lycan's to go against Marcus, but instead, all the the Lycans were left out, and all the vampires, and it was just a story about Selene, Michael, and Marcus.

It seemed choppy too, like the scene with Tannis seemed put there just for plot depth, where the first movie had a scene for everything, and it was smoothly implemented.

END SPOLIERS

It's just like Mel said, very 'hollywood.' The first one had a small budget, so that was impossible, but this one has obviously bit off alot of the story and taken it over-the-top way too much. But it can completely be non-associated with the first one IMO, since it really doesn't have anything in common with it, so I guess that's a good thing...if you dislike this one enough, you can pretend it's just a bump in the story that doesn't really matter in the overall scope of things, the cleaners just dumbed it up for me, so maybe that's why I disliked it so...

but I'm going to see it again either tonight or tommorow, so hopefully I'll find something to like about it, but right now....I feel like slapping Len Wisemen in the face.

I'm glad that you at least remembered to point out the spoilers, Soma, lol, since I obviously forgot, such a dumbass but anyway, yeah, I was sort of expecting the same thing. I mean, I am hoping now that after seeing the movie, that maybe they just left out those things so that they can do it for another film, maybe because they wanted this one to be mostly about Michael and Selene? maybe it was character development for them? But I hate to agree, that I was a bit disppointed just because they left out the lycans and the other vampires as you say. I have been reading, up until seeing the movie last night, other people's fanfics where they had their own ideas about what would happen, you know? and that was enjoyable, getting different interpretations and stuff. And some of the fics included what Amelia's coven might have done after her death, and some even had Marcus as a better guy, turned out to be. But then again, in those stories, and we didn't even know about him either, until the website told fans, William didn't exist. I must say that there are spoilers coming now. It's kind of hard to leave those out though now, since we've seen the movie, but anyway, um, I think that William was Marcus's main focus in the film, his drive or whatever. If William hadnt existed or even been inprisoned like that, I wonder how else it might have gone? But we knew about William being locked away, I think, before the film came out 'cause that's written somewhere on the official site, right?
ANyway, I wanted to know what Lucian's lycans would be doing and what Raze was up to as well, since he didn't die in the last film. And it doesnt make sense to leave out Viktor's coven either. He had so many vampires in that mansion of his...I would wonder what they'd do or know about the night that he was killed.
And, I dont think that the dialogue was as cheesy as it seemed, at least I hope it won't be for you, Melonie. I would hate for you not to be able to enjoy it, you know? I mean, not to say that tis a problem, jsut that I hope it's good. meh.

lorien elf
21-01-06, 19:19
How was my post rude? I didn't yell at you for spoiling a major plot point. I was very polite and even thanked you in advance for complying.
Oh, sorry. I guess I just interpreted it as acidic sarcasm. Some people have done that here; I guess that's just jumping to conclusions anyway,and since you already knew about it, probably had accidentally come across it, I didn't figure you'd be asking me to add the spoiler alert other than for sarcasm. Sorry about that then, that I got that wrong and misunderstood your post. :(

Soma Holiday
22-01-06, 04:36
Okay....well I saw it again today and I must say, that I actually enjoyed it ALOT more. Still no where near as good as the 1st one, but it felt more similar than I first labeled it as. I like it all but the cleaners, as I said before, since they make it seem less real, but I'm still trying to figure marcus out. I've posted so many questions about him on the RT forums to see what other people think.

I would also still liked to have seen what the other Lycan's were doing, and I also noticed that Raze apparently isn't dead since all the RIP characters are on the site, and his aren't. I was thinking that maybe the next movie will go back to the war and really end it, maybe see how Selene/Michael can effect the conflict now...so it would be more toward the war instead of this new threat.

Anyway, MAYBE you'll like it Mel, it's alright. I think my whole 'predictions' kinda ruined it for me, since I figured out all that was going to happen before seeing it. I'd like to have known what my emotions would've been like if I hadn't known about it....since that scene is very emotional...but oh well. It's still very actiony though, kinda too much, and I wonder if they took alot of it out. It's really short, so maybe 30 minutes of cut stuff would liven it up like the first one.

But again, I guess once you can think about it and really realize that it was ok, it feels better. I'm gonna see it again Wednesday (yes, I'm crazy:D) so who knows by then. I just wish I could pause it and look over some of the parts i can't understand lol...guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

lorien elf
22-01-06, 06:48
Hehe, that's great that you get to see it again. I'm glad that you like it more this second time around. I think I know now more of what you mean about the cleaners, how they make it feel....something I guess less real is the best way to put it. It was neat just thinking about how they really fought and dealt with the aftermath of their battles, rather than just leaving the sites for Alexander's men to take care of sorry if that's giving away too much. Meh, I just had assumed in the first one, that maybe they went back to the scene of battle and cleaned up their own mess, you know? That would have seemed to be the best way to do it. I wouldnt leave bodies behind for the police to discover and I dont think that the covens could have remained as secretive as they'd like to if they had open public battles all the time like that one in the subway, at least not so if they left the evidence all over the place. You know the cops would try to identify the bodies, and if there are no records for the person, the might do autopsies and learn things. I dont see how they'd just leave the mess behind. I think they commented on that in the first film, how it was odd that the lycans opened fire on the vampires in public like that. But since it had been over, there must have been the opportunity to sneak back in there and clean up. I'd retrieve the dead if I could. Raze went back for his partner, right? and yeah, I think he was still alive on the website. So maybe he's going to be another film, if they do one. I wonder if they wanted the cleaners in there to kind of show what Alex had been up to all the time his sons had been fighting, or at least their "offspring" had been. You know, Alex could have maybe done something about Viktor's war at least, right? err, sorry, for talking too much. Meh, it did feel different from the first film, but not so terrible as to make the movie not worth watching. I dont want to spoil this part for someone but just in saying, that I think someone else commented on the amount of gore and blood in the film I didn't think it was that bad at all. In fact, some of the ways people were killed were kind of cool, imo. Especially how Michael did it. twas neat. I stop now.

Smith will Suffice
22-01-06, 07:11
just got back from seeing it

i must say it was very mediocre. not a horrible movie. but just incoherent and a mess.

a "barely there" plot, ZERO character development and sub plot, sub-par ending...

the entire movie felt like one long scene. it seriously didnt feel like a movie.

my score?

6.5/10

oh and i really liked the original by the way. all of the above cons were pros in the first.

a shame, but i wasnt really expecting anything fantastical.

best part of the night?

SEEING THE SILENT HILL TRAILER ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!

OHHH YEAHHHHHHH! :D

Soma Holiday
22-01-06, 15:45
by Smith will Suffice
all of the above cons were pros in the first.

Exactly what I was thinking about it, and still think about it, even though I still like it somewhat, even though it had potential for greatness but failed to deliver. But maybe I'm forcing myself to like it, I dunno. It was watchable, but still depressing, but hey, it's done, so I guess when you accept it as the sequel you like it more, even if it let you down. I WAS expecting something 'fantastical,' but I should've known when I saw the trailer that it would be less than that.

I personally thought the Ultraviolet trailer looked great. ;) THough that'll probably be a mix of RE and Aeon Flux lol.

And I agree with you Lorien Elf. ;) The violence seemed less silly this time, even though Michael was still ugly as the hybrid. But he looked incredible in the love scene...who cares about Beckinsale, Speedman stole the show IMO. :D

*EDIT* Just checked the box office estimates for Friday...10 million so far(not including yesterday)....looks like it's on it's way to a 30 mill opening...VERY good. So if it is consistant there is no doubt in my mind that we'll see a another sequel, or a prequel, or both.

But I still don't know the marketing/production budget. I know it was pretty big, so I guess it depends on how much it makes in the long run, though I think the overseas gross will be big too.

I might have been let down, but I'd still like to see the story end in a better why, tying up the loose ends and all. I'd like 1 more movie...and that Lucian/Sonja prequel. Hell, give us the Marcus/William prequel too...it's all good. (well sorta) :D

lorien elf
22-01-06, 21:53
LOl Soma. In looking at yours and Smith's posts, I think I agree. It seems more like they took out most of the things that made the first movie so good and filled in the empty spaces that Hollywood likes in a good action movie: sex and violence. Though I'm not a movie critic, lol, of course, I wasn't entirely disappointed with it. I just wish that the plot had had more to it than just stopping Marcus, you know? Hehe, not to give away too much yet again... and yeah, I hate to be so shallow but Michael's nose made him look really different as a hybrid. hehe, but seeing Scott with no shirt on was so cool. :D ;) I thought the interactions between the two were nice. I mean, I guess they didnt really change or develop who they were as people but at least they were getting closer to one another, that's something, right?
I hope the movie does do wll. Maybe if they can make a third one, they can go back to doing more of what made the first one so great. I liked the plot. I really did. and blah,just some of the elements that you guys already mentioned. I just really want them to continue with the story, picking up from the end and telling us what happened to Lucian's people, as well as Viktor's too. sorry, hope that blah, I say too much. :)

Soma Holiday
26-01-06, 20:36
27 MILLION DOLLAR OPENING!!!

Guess we can expect that sequel/prequel after all! :D

And it's made 32mill as of yesterday...so we'll see how this weekend goes. ;)

I also watched it a 3rd time, and I must say...it is rubbing off on me. lol, the more I understand it the more I appreciate it I guess. But I did pick up the soundtrack, and it pales in comparison to the first....I regret buying it it is so lackluster. I miss Danny Lohner. :(

lorien elf
26-01-06, 21:09
Aw, I'm sorry that the soundtrack turned out to be not that great. Maybe in the third film they'll make it spectacular. They can have the violence and everything but bring back the drawn out feeling the first had and well, the plot and everything that was good in it. And I want to know what happened to the Covens and the lycans. Is that usually a good number for an opening? I hope so. I hope that more people go to see it. It is a decent good movie. Heck, I'm still a fan. :D I liked Selene's vampire moves too. Woot! I hope it does well this weekend too.

lorien elf
06-02-06, 05:20
wheeee!!!!!!!!!! *does happy dance* where are you guys? Must come be excited with me!! Ok, I know tisn't really official but this Scott Speedman fansite said that there is definitely going to be a third movie on the way!! woot! But the thing is, they said it would be the prequel. And while I'm still excited about that, I wonder what it means for the ending of the sequel. it seems like they coudl do a bit more with that. I hope they will. I mean, even if it's just a shortened scene like how the prequel part at the beginning was to the second movie. Heh, spoilers a bit here: but, I also read at this site that Wisemen was on vacation or something and that's where he dreamed up the Cleaners thing. Interesting to learn that he thought of this part later on and stuff like that. it even had comments from some of the actors, like Scott himself and from Kate as well. Tis pretty cool. Yipeee! I want to see Evolution again sometime! :D

Kiss-Bite
06-02-06, 08:46
I still haven't seen Underworld Evolution, but I'm looking forward to a nice DVD boxset!:D