PDA

View Full Version : Dune

Greenkey2
18-02-06, 20:41
Has anyone here read/watched Dune? :) I saw the film not that long ago and just didn't get it, but I've just finished reading the Frank Herbert novel for the second time and it's actually a great read! :jmp:

Thoughts?

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-02-06, 20:43
A friend of mine was telling me about the novel, and he said he enjoyed it very much. I didn't know they had a movie about it, though! Did you not get it because it was confusing?

Greenkey2
18-02-06, 20:45
The film was very confusing (to me). It gets better with repeated viewings, but the book has really made sense out of it :)

Ampersand
18-02-06, 20:49
I've seen it on TV, and I've seen the book but never read it. What's it like? :cln:

Kamrusepas
18-02-06, 20:53
I started reading the first book once [my mom loves sci-fi, and she has a lot of books] because it was legendary and all, but I never got really far :p

Greenkey2
18-02-06, 20:57
Here are two websites: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/

And: http://www.dunenovels.com/

OMG I have to get these other books! :eek:

The book is very like the film in several ways. It delves into what practically every character is thinking, and it can (at times) get quite difficult to keep track of events. However, on second reading I had a much better grasp of the plot and could sit back and enjoy the story and desciptions :).

And the desciptions can be jaw-droppingly beautiful and horrifying :tmb:

Ampersand
18-02-06, 20:59
Wooh! There's a lot of them too, I must try them some time. As long as it's not like The Wheel of Time saga (repetitive and neverending). I'll definitely check these out next time I go to town! :D

Kamrusepas
18-02-06, 21:07
The Wheel of Time saga

Oh no, David Eddings? :vlol:

Ampersand
18-02-06, 21:10
Robert Jordan, I thought. But I know what you mean. :vlol:

Kamrusepas
18-02-06, 21:12
We just have a little inside joke on David Eddings :D

Greenkey2
18-02-06, 21:13
:confused:

I better ask deepbluesea about this. She is a big David Eddings fan...:pi:

Kamrusepas
18-02-06, 21:14
No offense, it's just.... a rather long story :p

Besides, it sorta includes Margaret Weis, R.A. Salvatore and Christian Jacq :D

Ampersand
18-02-06, 21:15
Just checking him out on Amazon. Another author of MANY books...of inconsistent quality, it seems... :pi:

Sirius Black
18-02-06, 21:16
The film was very confusing (to me). It gets better with repeated viewings, but the book has really made sense out of it :)

Absolutely. Without knowledge of the book, the film makes no sense at all.

Greenkey2
18-02-06, 21:18
I must admit - and will probably suffer horrendous torture for saying so - but I read about three chapters of a David Eddings book about four years ago and gave up out of sheer boredom :o

I must stop eating all that spice :pi:

Ampersand
18-02-06, 21:20
I must admit - and will probably suffer horrendous torture for saying so - but I read about three chapters of a David Eddings book about four years ago and gave up out of sheer boredom :o

LOL, I read the (enormous) prologue excerpt of one of Robert Jordan's most recent books, and was alternately wincing and cackling with laughter at the prose... :cln:

I'll check Dune out on Amazon to get some idea of what it's like, then try to find it in Waterstones. With any luck it'll be good. :D