PDA

View Full Version : Grammar

CroftsKid
24-02-06, 04:51
In this forum should, or are we supposed to use grammar right so people can take you seriosly?? I read it on another forum. They said that they never used to use that, but then they do now and they are taken more seriosly... So is that a rule or can we write freely?:confused: Just a quick question...;)

disjointed
24-02-06, 04:56
I don't think that would be a rule. It's pretty silly...

CroftsKid
24-02-06, 05:00
Ya i know i just heard it on another forum so i thought, why not ask here... oh well.

MattTR
24-02-06, 05:01
its online, as long as its legible, it should be fine.. ( I don't see why you must right perfectly on a forum. ) :confused:

CroftsKid
24-02-06, 05:02
Ya true, though it would be cool if that happened although sort of strange... lol:D

GodOfLight
24-02-06, 06:20
i don't normally have a problem with how people here use grammar... although some of the whole "liek" for "like" and "nuttin" for "nothing" and "wus" for "what's" seriously just baffels me :whi:

CroftsKid
24-02-06, 06:33
i don't normally have a problem with how people here use grammar... although some of the whole "liek" for "like" and "nuttin" for "nothing" and "wus" for "what's" seriously just baffels me :whi:
lol! See that's what i mean! lol!:vlol:

Greenkey2
24-02-06, 12:42
It's simply a matter of being understood. Like godoflight said, sometimes 'internet' spelling and grammer is just crazy. And I find it more difficult to read than ordinary language! :D

Mona Sax
24-02-06, 12:45
It's simply a matter of being understood. Like godoflight said, sometimes 'internet' spelling and grammer is just crazy. And I find it more difficult to read than ordinary language! :D
I agree, I prefer reading posts in correct, legible English too. :D

Paperdoll
24-02-06, 12:49
Many of us don't have english as their native tongue so I guess it would be silly to make a rule of it but still if you can speak english properly and insist on speaking in internet lingo... like Greenkey2 said, it just makes it harder for some of us to understand and besides it's always a good thing to get used to writing properly. I was too used in writing in sms and internet lingo in portuguese and I always had to recheck my texts when I was taking an exam so that I wouldn't let any abreviations on it.

SUGARPIE
24-02-06, 12:52
I think it goes without saying that in order to be taken seriously, one should try to use correct terminology where possible aside from the well known 'lols' of this world :D

When somebody complies a sentence that relies heavily on 'text talk' such as:

'I wuz gonna say dat innit but U sed it B4 me. See ya L8er m8'

....it is little wonder people give up the will to live! Not everybody is familiar with these 'isms and some just find them downright ignorant. To some it indicates that the author can't be bothered to construct a coherent sentence that can be read and understood by all. It's bad manners some might say ;)

Greenkey2
24-02-06, 12:57
I think it goes without saying that in order to be taken seriously, one should try to use correct terminology where possible aside from the well known 'lols' of this world :D

When somebody complies a sentence that relies heavily on 'text talk' such as:

'I wuz gonna say dat innit but U sed it B4 me. See ya L8er m8'

....it is little wonder people give up the will to live! Not everybody is familiar with these 'isms and some just find them downright ignorant. To some it indicates that the author can't be bothered to construct a coherent sentence that can be read and understood by all. It's bad manners some might say ;)

I totally agree 100% :tmb:.

BTW, has anyone here read "Eats, shoots and leaves" By Lynne Truss? :whi: :pi:

Fluen
24-02-06, 13:12
I agree, that a proper English/American/Australian/Schottish/Irish (I hope, I haven't forgotten anyone) should be the ideal.

Especially because those of us, who do not use the above language(s) as the primary one slowly pick up the phrases and use of it by reading and writing at the forums. The result of a slang language on the forums might be, that we learn an incorrect English, which does us no good.

But give some room for the errors and funny sentences caused by people, who imply their own language grammar on the English.

As a Dane I might write: Yesterday read I on this forum.... ;)

Jacob x5
24-02-06, 13:19
I prefer reading posts that are actually written in English, which is all right because most posters here post in proper English. :D I have difficulty understanding a lot of this 'text-style' language. Ok, it's all right to use it if the school cook has taken you into the kitchen and cornered you, a knife in one hand, and the only thing you have with you is a phone and you don't want it to be seen, but here, for a start you have a keyboard right in front of you so it's not like having to press those tiny buttons on a mobile phone, and second, there's just no rush! Wen ppl tlk lke this, it just looks lazy to me. :rolleyes: Not only that, it seriously affects your English as a whole, and you will start to use it in school, and then in exams, and then you've got a big problem.

Gabi
24-02-06, 13:40
As said in some posts above, I prefer it if the text is written in "proper" English.
With English not being my first language, I find it more difficult if I have to "guess" what the author wants to say and it sometimes can get confusing.

scion05
24-02-06, 13:41
its online, as long as its legible, it should be fine.. ( I don't see why you must right perfectly on a forum. ) :confused:

youve gave a perfect example there near the end!

Kamrusepas
24-02-06, 14:04
In this forum should, or are we supposed to use grammar right so people can take you seriosly??

It's not a rule or anything, but....

If you write correctly, you give a much more mature image of yourself, and make a clearer point. It's extremely annoying to read through posts that are poorly written.

That's just my opinion :wve:

Ampersand
24-02-06, 14:20
BTW, has anyone here read "Eats, shoots and leaves" By Lynne Truss? :whi: :pi:

I have! Great book. :D

I think it's all a matter of the impression you give. If you speak in l337, I'm going to find it very hard to take you seriously. A few BTWs and LOLs are fine, I even do that myself, but all-out text-speak is just silly.

And it kills me to see entire blocks of text completely unpunctuated. Come on people, don't you know what a full stop is? :hea:

It's all about clarity, IMO. People can't take you seriously if they don't understand what you're trying to say. It may be convenient for you to type, but not for people to read. :D

:wve:

Jacob x5
24-02-06, 14:23
If you write correctly, you give a much more mature image of yourself

Yay! I give a mature image of myself! :D :jmp:

*Runs around and acts immaturely*

Lew
24-02-06, 14:27
alot of people who i talk to say stuff like "lyk" "wt" "orl" "mny" "stff" it gets so annoying! especailly when your on msn and these emoticons come up that take forever to load.

Jacob x5
24-02-06, 14:33
I know what you mean, Lew. :rolleyes: That's why I never use any emotes that replace words, because what if you wanted to say 'internet' and you had one for the word 'in'? That's why none of my emotes on MSN have a word for a keyboard shortcut; I always put the keyboard shortcuts in square brackets. For instance, if I have an emote for the 'word' 'lol' (which I do), the shortcut would be '[lol]'.

Kamrusepas
24-02-06, 14:42
And it kills me to see entire blocks of text completely unpunctuated. Come on people, don't you know what a full stop is? :hea:

Fully agreed.

Neteru
24-02-06, 17:51
So few native English speakers know correct grammer (I know I'm certainly no expert). But even correct grammar can simply sound ridiculous. Language is a dynamic thing, ever changing and developing. That said, I simply can't take anyone seriously if they write in text or leet speak. I really have little respect for these forms of communication when used almost exclusively.

For a forum that has members from many different countries, I think it is incumbent upon the native speakers of English, if only for the sake of understanding, to write as clearly and correctly as possble, and avoid trying to be 'cool' by using a host of abbreviations.

Virusbuster
24-02-06, 17:54
Me thinks me writes quite good english, except the fact that me likes to write like this. :D

As long as people speak as good english as they can, that's more than good enough for me. I agree, Neteru, it's hard to take people speaking "1337" seriously...

Lavinder
24-02-06, 18:22
I don't speak propper english because I make a few spelling mistakes and don't put apostraphies etc in right places but I still think I type ok.

Chat speak ennoys me no end because most of the time it takes longer to type and hardly readable. I dont mind abreviations eg. lmao, rofl, lol etc etc...

:)

000ooomgzers i cnt get uz to diz typin.

Lew
24-02-06, 18:29
I dont mind chat speak in texting cause it makes it faster. :P

Pipolinne
24-02-06, 18:35
Please,explain what you consider to be "writting freely",because the idea of writting without grammar is something my mind cannot achieve! One thing is to make mistakes ,other thing is a lot of words in a line,without even a dot separating them!

Now,in Portugal,is fashionable to write in the worst way possible and the only thing I feel when I see my language being murdered is sadness;I admit I'm unable to read some of these new messages,and I'm 24!