PDA

View Full Version : Getting a tan

Thorn
10-03-06, 00:39
Do you purposely try to get a tan? This summer I want to get one, at least a fake spray on all through summer. I want to do this because maybe I'll look more beautiful with one. I feel really uncomfortable walking around in the summer being so pale because I get weird stares and sometimes bad comments. :( I started doing this last summer and things went well. So what do you think?

egyptiangal
10-03-06, 00:43
Do you purposely try to get a tan? This summer I want to get one, at least a fake spray on all through summer. I want to do this because maybe I'll look more beautiful with one. I feel really uncomfortable walking around in the summer being so pale because I get weird stares and sometimes bad comments. :( I started doing this last summer and things went well. So what do you think?

i went tanning for a couple months last spring, then in the fall i got a job at a tanning salon/movie store so i got to tan for free.. but the beds werent that good b/c they were old. and then that place closed so i havent gone since. but it's not good to go so much so i'm glad i havent gone in a while.
my sister however is getting married and i wish i had money to go tanning but i'm afraid i wont have it. i have to pay for my bridesmaid dress and her gifts-for her shower and bachelorette party so i'm gonna be broke and pale for the wedding. oh well. :o

SUGARPIE
10-03-06, 00:45
I never expose myself to the sun much - I wear fake tan all year round and I don't buy expensive brands, no need to, most of the cheaper brands these days don't turn orange and don't smell like gravy when they develop :D

darkwidow
10-03-06, 00:46
I'm a red-head, so I burn pretty easily therefore I don't like getting a tan. I also have allergies to the fake stuff.

Thorn
10-03-06, 00:48
I can't use the drugstore brands because they streak and turn me orange. Mystic tan worked well and I looked brown. It's just so darn expensive to go get it over and over.

SUGARPIE
10-03-06, 00:48
PS, how rude of people to make bad comments because you are pale and interesting. That actress with the red hair from Desperate Houwives (Marcia someone) is pale as is Nicole Kidman and many others and look beautiful. I think it can look less beautiful if you have poor skin and thread veins etc - a tan can give a healthier appearance that way.

I think the only celebrity who looks a little unwell without a tan is Renee Zellwegger but many pale types look like beautiful porcelain dolls :)

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-03-06, 00:49
Most of those fake tan products are horrible to be putting on your skin. Also, if you're naturally pale, you shouldn't stay out in the sun without strong SPF lotion, it could damage your skin horribly. Think about it this way: would you rather have cancer 20 years from now or get 'stares' and 'comments' sometimes? I'm not saying it's not okay to get a fake tan once in a while, but excessive tanning can lead to bad skin defects in the future.

I've only gotten a tan at a tanning booth once or twice, and I never use spray-ons, although I'm sure they're safer than the booth. Still, Thorn, you are beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, even if everyone else is burnt to a crisp. Natural beauty is the best kind. :tmb:

That actress with the red hair from Desperate Houwives (Marcia someone) is pale

Yeah, Marcia Cross. I think her paleness gives her natural beauty. It's the way she is, and that makes her beautiful.

Maureen Errant
10-03-06, 00:51
I don't know Thorn.........I'm sure you're beautiful even being pale. :hug: Is darker skin work having skin cancer later on. Those people who made rude comments to you should be ashamed of themselves. I've also heard some stories about taning bed horrors. I myself personally don't tan well (being a redhead ) the freckles just kind of meld together. I don't burn, which is pretty unusual. I just wear a big hat and my skin goes a nice golden colour without the risk of cancer. Start wearing a hat and you might just start a new fashion trend.:D

SUGARPIE
10-03-06, 00:51
I can't use the drugstore brands because they streak and turn me orange. Mystic tan worked well and I looked brown. It's just so darn expensive to go get it over and over.

There is an art to applying it. Ideally you would exfoliate in a hot shower or bath and then moisturise your skin with a good body moistuiser (PH balanced). Then apply the tan the next morning evenly taking care with knees, wrists and elbows. You can buy light-medium which is a lot more subtle. I never buy darker varieites as they can look awful if you mess up and it's hard to remove.

Thorn
10-03-06, 00:52
If I don't do it I'm gonna get depressed like hell. What are your thoughts on the ingredient DHA? That's what mystic tan uses and it makes me look brown. :)

DREWY
10-03-06, 00:52
Comming from the skin cancer capital of the world I would say stay pale and healthy. More than 20min a day is classed as dangerous, at least here in OZ.

SUGARPIE
10-03-06, 00:54
Comming from the skin cancer capital of the world I would say stay pale and healthy. More than 20min a day is classed as dangerous, at least here in OZ.

Agreed, also the sun ages the skin prematurely and I used to own my own sunbed but stopped years ago. Now I just use a subtle fake tan that takes about 3 hours to develop which means for at least 30 mins walking around naked :tea:

Thorn
10-03-06, 01:00
Anyone know of any products with DHA? You have to be rich to use mystic tan. Here's their website. :)
http://www.mystictan.com/

BoyTRaider
10-03-06, 01:04
I think that you're just beautiful as you are...but if at any case you want to tan yourself, don't for the sake of god, use a tanning bad... My friend has cancer because of it, and the bad thing is that they can't do anything for her... :(

SUGARPIE
10-03-06, 01:07
Yes St. Tropez is also expensive. I buy the moose from Supersavers costing 99p for the same amount and that is so easy to apply. Not sure about DHAs though Thorn.

Well it's 2am here folks so I must away and deam of an all-over tan :D

Night all :wve:

Sirius Black
10-03-06, 01:15
I myself love sunshine. I like the feel of sunlight on my skin but I have seen what skin cancer does to a person (just before prematurely terminating their life.)

Therefore I start to acclimatise my self to the sun in early spring and build up exposure using sun cream. This way, my skin is already quite tanned by early summer but I never go out in the sun unprotected.

This way I get the wonderful benefits of vitamin enriching sunlight without burning and by August I got a nice tan. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-03-06, 01:17
When I was younger I used to be pretty tanned, I looked like a little indian girl. :vlol: I have a lot of native American blood, so that explains it.

Anyway, lately I've suddently turned pale! :eek: I have no idea why, but I'm not even close to being as tanned as I used to be. The foundation I buy is one of the lightest they have, I hate it! I think it's something medically caused thuogh. I'm not anemic though, but I thought I may have been for a while. I'm extremely healthy, but there is something medically wrong with me, but frankly my doctor doesn't care.

That's another story though. I miss my tanend skin, so if anyone has some advice for Clara I'll also be listening! I don't burn easily at all, so maybe I'll just have to go outside and tan the old fashioned way. I'd mush prefer tannign while I'm swimming or something, but I don't have a pool right now, and I can't swin in a lake unless I want to get eaten by an alligator. :vlol:

Oh well, I'm moving this month, maybe I'll get a house with a pool. :cool:

Thorn
10-03-06, 01:23
Well I'm an aesthetician so I already know about the sun and it's effects. I always wear an spf when I go out to have fun or whatever. Fake is the only way I'll do it. I found something called tan towel online. They're simply sheets soaked in the solution. Nothing every comes cheap. :p

http://www.tantowel.com/

Maureen Errant
10-03-06, 01:25
gnight Sugar:hug:

Mel....have you gotten your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist? Maybe he just doens't know what is wrong and like most doctors does not want to look ignorant. Be careful if you tan the 'old fashioned way' Use spf400 if you can get it.lol but seriously, be careful. It always amazes me that with todays knowledge you can drive by any beach and see people lying there packed like sardines. ;)

MizzCroft007
10-03-06, 01:29
Speaking of which.... can somebody reccommend me some good types/brands? :D Has anybody ever went to a tannign salon -does it work? And what's better, store products or.... tans you get at salons?

Thorn
10-03-06, 01:30
Speaking of which.... can somebody reccommend me some good types/brands? :D Has anybody ever went to a tannign salon -does it work? And what's better, store products or.... tans you get at salons?

Salon! or the high end brands.

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-03-06, 02:00
Mel....have you gotten your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist? Maybe he just doens't know what is wrong and like most doctors does not want to look ignorant. Be careful if you tan the 'old fashioned way' Use spf400 if you can get it.lol but seriously, be careful. It always amazes me that with todays knowledge you can drive by any beach and see people lying there packed like sardines. ;)

Well my problems are not only my skin, I think that is just one side effect. It's hard to explain, but basically something in my body is causing my heart to beat at a very rapid rate at times. Sometimes reaching over 160 bps. I went to see a doctor and I was tested for many, many different things. My health in general is fantastic though, I guess being a health nut pays off. :p. So it's nothing to do with that. Naturally, since my heartrate was the problem, they did several tests regarding my heart as well. After getting the results, my heart is perfectly healthy! So basically something else is causing my heart to race, but nobody knows what it is.

I've completely removed caffeine from my diet, so that is not the problem. If I have caffeine it could cause me to have a seizure. I accidentally drank a glass of iced tea a couple of weeks ago, I completely forgot! :eek: That one small glass of iced tea caused my heart to speed up dramatically, and I also started shaking histerrically and uncontrollably. Even the next day felt absolutely horrible! Other than that one time, I've been caffeine free for nearly 5 months now.

I don't take any types of medecine, and I'm definitely not on any drug. I've never taken a single drug in my life, so I know it's not that lol. I called the doctor and asked about what other tests we will be performing so we can find out what is wrong, but he just told me: "science is not advanced enough to figure out what's wrong with you, so you're just going to have to wait it out." The doctors around my area could care less about the situation though. Not once have they called me with any of my results or anything, I've constantly had to struggle to ever get ahold of them. Like I said before though, I'm moving, so I'll definitely be locating another doctor. Hopefully he/she will know better.:rolleyes:

It's not like my high heartrate is a uncommon. It never maintains a steady beat. I'm extremely lucky if my heartrate is ever under 100 bps. One second it might be at 90, yet another it will reach 170. It's never constant, and I can feel it. I wore a heart monitor that showed my pulse at 225 at one point! All this while I am sedintary. I never did any excersizing when I wore that monitor.

Aside from that, I get plenty of excersize and am in great shape. I can't help but be mad when my doctor doesn't even seem to care about what is wrong with me.

Sorry for getting so off topic. :(

ILG49ers
10-03-06, 02:15
Wow Melonie, that sounds horrible. :( You have a right to be upset with your doctor.

Do you purposely try to get a tan?

I don't have to try to get a tan. Being half African American and half French Canadian-American I'm naturally tan. Itís really nice not having to go in the hot sun, just to get a tan.

Thorn
10-03-06, 02:24
Well my problems are not only my skin, I think that is just one side effect. It's hard to explain, but basically something in my body is causing my heart to beat at a very rapid rate at times. Sometimes reaching over 160 bps. I went to see a doctor and I was tested for many, many different things. My health in general is fantastic though, I guess being a health nut pays off. :p. So it's nothing to do with that. Naturally, since my heartrate was the problem, they did several tests regarding my heart as well. After getting the results, my heart is perfectly healthy! So basically something else is causing my heart to race, but nobody knows what it is.

I've completely removed caffeine from my diet, so that is not the problem. If I have caffeine it could cause me to have a seizure. I accidentally drank a glass of iced tea a couple of weeks ago, I completely forgot! :eek: That one small glass of iced tea caused my heart to speed up dramatically, and I also started shaking histerrically and uncontrollably. Even the next day felt absolutely horrible! Other than that one time, I've been caffeine free for nearly 5 months now.

I don't take any types of medecine, and I'm definitely not on any drug. I've never taken a single drug in my life, so I know it's not that lol. I called the doctor and asked about what other tests we will be performing so we can find out what is wrong, but he just told me: "science is not advanced enough to figure out what's wrong with you, so you're just going to have to wait it out." The doctors around my area could care less about the situation though. Not once have they called me with any of my results or anything, I've constantly had to struggle to ever get ahold of them. Like I said before though, I'm moving, so I'll definitely be locating another doctor. Hopefully he/she will know better.:rolleyes:

It's not like my high heartrate is a uncommon. It never maintains a steady beat. I'm extremely lucky if my heartrate is ever under 100 bps. One second it might be at 90, yet another it will reach 170. It's never constant, and I can feel it. I wore a heart monitor that showed my pulse at 225 at one point! All this while I am sedintary. I never did any excersizing when I wore that monitor.

Aside from that, I get plenty of excersize and am in great shape. I can't help but be mad when my doctor doesn't even seem to care about what is wrong with me.

Sorry for getting so off topic. :(
Melonie tell the docs to run tests on your thyroid gland. If it's letting off extra hormones that might be why you're so excitable. I'm not an expert so I dunno. Maybe you're eating or taking something that might be affecting you.

Angel666
10-03-06, 02:41
I'm sorry Mel. Hopefully your new doc will be more helpful. THORN: I never tan and don't see why you would want to. You're so pretty pale. I'm Irish so I burn when I go out into the sun. I tried the fake stuff once (just on my legs, thank god) and turned orange. I never got what was so cool about being tan. Can some one explain? lol

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-03-06, 02:43
Melonie tell the docs to run tests on your thyroid gland. If it's letting off extra hormones that might be why you're so excitable. I'm not an expert so I dunno. Maybe you're eating or taking something that might be affecting you.

They've tested my thyroid, it came out ok. I really have no idea what it is, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what the new doc says. Thanks for your help though. :hug:

Maureen Errant
10-03-06, 04:03
No drugs or caffeine..tha'ts your problem right there..........:cln: only teasing.
I can fully relate to having your heart not work "normally". I've got a skipping heart. At least 6 times an hour "or more" it skips and then beats hard a fast a couple of times to catch up. I've had this all my life and it comes and goes. Sometimes it's gone for a few months, and then suddenly it's back. Doesn't matter if I drink coffee or have a beer or a cig. I quit smoking 6 weeks ago and it hasn't made any difference to my heart. Hopefully it will help my lungs last a bit longer.
I't not serious...........just annoying. Aparently everyone on my father's side of the family had this and my grandmother lived to be 94 and my dad passed away when he was 87.
It's just scary when it's your heart, you know?

DragonDan
10-03-06, 04:24
There is nothing wrong with being pale. I'm half British and half German. Not many people are more pale than I. Some years ago I was into tanning, but it was difficult - I burn way too easily. Now I'm happy just how I am.
And, living in Arizona, I see the effects of people who spend too much time in the sun without proper protection. Not a pretty sight.

Maureen Errant
10-03-06, 04:36
Hi Dan.........good to see you again.:)

I used to work at a golf course, and some of the diehard golfers had skin like lizards at 50.:yik: :vlol:

Soma Holiday
10-03-06, 04:54
I'm pale....and I love it. I dunno, I used to let it get to me, but being pale fits my personality and my style...I'm very much an indoors person, I hate hot weather, and most of all...I HATE tan lines! haha...that alone makes me stay pale, cause I just hate the way tan lines look which is ridiculous in my opinion.

People pick on me all the time, but I burn instantly, so I'd rather be pale than get cancer, but since I prefer being pale, I guess it's easier for me to cope with...

You definately should'nt let it get to you...

Tramp
10-03-06, 04:58
I used to get smart comments too because I didn't try to tan. I tan really easily too. But I worked with a woman when I was a teen and at 35 she had skin like a 60 year old. I just ignored the comments and stayed as I was. I now get comments on how soft my skin is. As Drewy said we live in the skin cancer capital of the world and I have seen the effects of skin cancer and it is not pretty, apart from the fact that it can kill you.

Those ignorant idiots are going to have skin like leather by the time they are 40. Tanning salons are just as bad as it is the ultra-violet that makes you tan and there is suspicion now that it's just as damaging as the natural sun type tan. That's apart from the damage it does to your eyes even with those little goggles.

Those who make smart comments now I just totally ignore.

Maureen Errant
10-03-06, 05:04
Hiya Kate:wve: you tell 'em girl.:hug:

I've never gone out of my way to get a tan and I have fewer lines around my eyes than women 10 years younger than me. That alone is worth putting up with the occasional comment or look.

*especially when it's a look from a younger guy, who thinks your NOT old enough to be his mom*:jmp: :whi:

:vlol:

Tramp
10-03-06, 05:12
Yeah Kate that is a damn nuisance too as if you tried to do anything about it you would be accused of cradle snatching. There are not too many men my age around that look as good as some of the 30 somethings.

scoopy_loopy
10-03-06, 06:07
hahaha! Thorn come live in australia! If you dont get a tan pretty quick then its not meant to be! :)

Maureen Errant
10-03-06, 06:16
Yeah Kate that is a damn nuisance too as if you tried to do anything about it you would be accused of cradle snatching. There are not too many men my age around that look as good as some of the 30 somethings.

I know.....by the time guys get to be about 50..................sigh.

Catapharact
10-03-06, 11:27
Man, what ever happened to the Clara I knew? What ever happened to the headstrong, opionated lady who wouldn't crack down to pressure?

Thorn, being pale is the next hottest thing. I know many women who would definately trade places with you. Don't go surcumming to such things. If you want a tan, you should get it because YOU want to.

Tans are a bit overrated IMO. Its the usual norm for me; Go to the beach and look like a demi-god for a day Lol! Meh... Tan, no tan it really doesn't make a difference.

Kiss-Bite
10-03-06, 11:36
Avoid the sun without protection, avoid a real tan always!! FakeBake, St Tropez & many other quality brands can give a realistic tan if applied well, without any of the negatives of the real thing. The trick is to exfoliate well, then to moisturise, and then to apply the tan before the moisturiser has completely soaked in. Apply it sparingly, and only use lighlty on any area where your skin is drier. Commonly, these can include nose, elbows and knees.

Allow the colour to deveop completely, depending on brand roughly three hours, and if you want to go darker, repeat the whole process, including exfoliation. Once the original tan has developed, exfoliating will not lessen the colour substantially.

Always go fake. It's better for you, these days, there's not much difference in colour, and if you get bored of it, after three or four days, it's gone.

SUGARPIE
10-03-06, 12:19

I was about to suggest the same. I had thyrotoxicosis, was very panicky and my heartrate was 170BPM at rest. I was underweight (still am), and a nervous wreck. I was treated with Carbimazole and Proprananol after a cat scan and the former made me lose my hair. I have twice-yearly tests but the illness went undetected for so long - only a Colonel in the army spotted it straight away and treated me - that my immune system was damaged and I am susceptible to all manner of viruses these days.

Whenever I go away I always return with someone elses germs. I had a terrible cold before Poland last November and was just shaking it off as I arrived. The moment I returned my throat was up again for 3 days and I got a second dose :(

Sounds like thyroid problems - as for a blood test :tmb:

EDIT: Sorry missed your post that said you'd had it tested. How long ago was this? It's hard to determine an iregular heartbet with young women, the ECG results aren't always reliable a heart specialist told me - I mean while under a stress test like on the treadmill.

Kamrusepas
10-03-06, 12:23
Do you purposely try to get a tan?

I've usually tried to, but with my newfound obsession with vampires, I can't be so sure of next summer :D

angelika
10-03-06, 12:45
My dearest Thorn,
After being set free by this jerk you used to have for a boyfriend, you are wellcome to spend your summer holidays with me at my house at Corfu island (it;s one of the hotest holiday destination in Greece).
I can promise you you'll get a tan at no time plus anything else you might want.....;)

Paperdoll
10-03-06, 12:54
I'm pale too *joins the bunch* and usually when I go to the beach I don't get red :yah: but then again... I'm not much of a beach person :D so no tan for me, that's the only I'm ever getting a tan, the natural way with lots of protection and not standing in the sun waiting to turn into a lobster. Personally I like being pale, so it's doesn't bother me not getting a tan.

Thorn I think that a great part of your beauty is your pale skin, you look beautiful in it and it looks beautiful on you :p

angelika
10-03-06, 13:09
During summer I spend dozen of hours at the beach. And in September I look like an Arab or African.
The sun in Greece can bronze your arm even while driving. So you tan inevitably!

Laras Backpack
10-03-06, 13:15
3 of my grandparents are Jamaican- I'm tanned all year round :)

angelika
10-03-06, 13:17
3 of my grandparents are Jamaican- I'm tanned all year round :)

Cool:tmb:

lita212
10-03-06, 13:28
you should tan on sunbeds its bad for the skin. if you live in the u.k watch the programme on C4 called celebrities without slap on. it tells you how tanning, hair extensions etc may look good now but wait till your older and what it will do to you. if i was you i would get a spray tan its much more better.