PDA

View Full Version : Heavenly Creatures

SUGARPIE
23-03-06, 16:17
Has anyone seen this movie? It starred Melanie Lynsky and Kate Winslet (debut acting role). It is based on a true story in 1950's New Zealand where two girls. Yvonne Parker (Lynsky) and Juliette Hulme (Winslet) form an intense friendship which, when threatened, leads the girls to murder Yvonne Parker's mother.

Yvonne Parker actually went on to become a fictional crime writer having changed her name to Anne Perry. It is a fascinating story and makes for a very disturbing film.

I would be interested to hear your opinions of it if you have viewed it or indeed if you have any knowledge of the events.

Neteru
23-03-06, 17:07
I watched it again recently as it was shown on TV.

Whilst the film was 'enjoyable' to watch, I should be more interested to see interviews with both (now) women to hear their views and what precisely they thought and felt as they built up to and carried out the act.

TombRaiderLover
23-03-06, 17:16
I've heard of it, but I haven't got a chance to see it. I've heard good things about it.

SUGARPIE
23-03-06, 17:17
I watched it again recently as it was shown on TV.

Whilst the film was 'enjoyable' to watch, I should be more interested to see interviews with both (now) women to hear their views and what precisely they thought and felt as they built up to and carried out the act.

Anne Perry recently appeared on TV, interviewed on 'This Morning' by Fern and Philip.

She was very ambiguous about her involvement and was keen on discussing her new fictional book but it was made clear by her that she still knows not why she carried out this brutal crime.

The conditions of their release meant that both girls were forbidden to see eachother again and by my understanding, Anne Perry is a very damaged individual, still perhaps reeling from the shock of her fantasy-fuelled crime.

The movie depended heavily on surreal environments in order to depict this fantasy world within which the girls conducted their lives. The actual death scene, as I am sure you would agree, is rather disturbing and poignant.

Raydai
23-03-06, 17:49
Lovely movie, i'm a huge fan of the movies from Peter Jackson.

SUGARPIE
23-03-06, 18:14
Oh I didn't notice he directed it! Glad you liked it. It was and still is a little harrowing though right? What are your thoughts about how the movie represented the facts? :wve: