PDA

View Full Version : British Iraq hostage Kember freed

tlr online
23-03-06, 16:55
Briton Norman Kember and two Canadian fellow peace activists held hostage in Iraq for almost four months have been freed by multinational forces. Mr Kember, 74, of north-west London, James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, were three of four men seized in Baghdad in November.

Mr Kember said in a statement: "It is great to be free, and I'm looking forward to getting back to the UK." The men's US colleague, Tom Fox, was found dead in Baghdad two weeks ago. The three men are believed to have been rescued at 0800 local time (0500 GMT), following a weeks-long operation led by British troops and involving US and Canadian special forces.

Officials have revealed few details of the operation, but it is known that none of the captors was present, no shots were fired and no-one was injured.

www.bbc.co.uk

Greenkey2
23-03-06, 16:58
That is great news :tmb: I was completely resigned to him becoming just another tragic statistic of the Iraq crisis, but to hear some good news instead has really made me smile :wve:

Celephais
23-03-06, 17:00
Wow, great news. I'd always feared the worst for all the captives. Four months in captivity fearing for your life must be indescribale.

Andromeda66
23-03-06, 17:09
^ agreed.

Just heard about it on the news. Thank God.

Reggie
23-03-06, 17:38
What a relief, I can't say I was ever exactly optimistic about the situation either but this is definately a relief, ESPECIALLY for those concerned.

Gabi
23-03-06, 18:16
That is good news indeed.