PDA

View Full Version : Today's Debate!

SUGARPIE
25-03-06, 12:28
To detract from the boring olympics I thought a debate was in order :D

The first topic that came to mind was the issue regarding working parents.

Do you think that all young toddlers deserve to have at least one parent at home? Or are you in support of the more modern way of doing things in terms of leaving a small baby/child in someone else's care?

Surely all youngsters deserve to benefit from the love and care of a parent or do you disagree?

Let's start hearing your views and experiences :)

Ampersand
25-03-06, 12:32
I think a child should have at least one parent at home. :) Dumping the kid in a nursery or leaving it to a carer just isn't right or fair. And if the parents are really so obsessed with their work and earning money, and don't have time to spend with their children...then it would've been wiser not to have any. Sorry if that sounds awful, just MHO. :o

Janny
25-03-06, 12:35
At least one parent should be at home to care for the toddler. He/she is just a little child and needs lots of love and care. My phsihology teacher told us what the lack of parental affection can do to a young child.

Pipolinne
25-03-06, 12:36
I didn't find the Olympics boring;indeed,I fancied them a lot.

Both parents should stay at home, during some time,once the child from both and not only from one.Then,finished that time,I think the child is fully prepared to go to a nursery,once the parents won't work 24hrs per day!!

SUGARPIE
25-03-06, 12:42
I think every child deserves at least one parent to care for their needs. So glad that thus far everyone is in agreement :)

Pipolinne
25-03-06, 12:45
Yes,because when the child grows up she'll also stay at home,instead of following her life...

And a 24 present parent isn't better than one that stays at home less time;quantity isn't equal to quallity.

illuminati30
25-03-06, 12:48
My sisters leave their kids with my mum and dad as they go out to work, and their partners work also. One sister does this more than the other maybe 2/3 days a week and takes my nephew to his other gran the other days She cant afford to stop working as she is not very good with money, and has debts. The other sister just cant afford to stop working just because of the expense of things. Its a shame, my nephew never gets to lie long in the morning, she always has to wake him to go to work, and babies need sleep, and my mum and dad are left with him tired and grumpy all day. Good topic sugerpie :tmb:

FourBalls
25-03-06, 12:48
An interesting subject... :)

I think every child should have at least one parent home with him/her. Specially, when we are talking about toddlers.
Of course, for a child to be happy, money is very important, but if parents start a daily routine like Get up, drink coffee, drive to work, make money, come home, sleep, they will grow apart from their children...

Greenkey2
25-03-06, 12:49
Both of my parents worked full time when I was little. I went to a nursery and was left in the care of a carer when I was still only a baby.

I don't think it did me any harm :) And I have an incredibly strong bond with my parents :)

Ampersand
25-03-06, 12:50
I think every child deserves at least one parent to care for their needs. So glad that thus far everyone is in agreement :)

Yup. I think it's bad for the parents too. They'd only end up regretting not being there for their child - they missed their child growing up, and there's no way to recover lost time. :)

Jacob x5
25-03-06, 13:00
A child should be brought up with their parents. Being with all different people all the time will be confusing.

SUGARPIE
25-03-06, 13:03
Sadly, many absent parents attempt to spoil the neglected child with gifts when really, all they want is love and affection :(

If folk can't afford to quit work then IMO they can't afford to have a child. People may well call this an old-fashioned view but my opinion is that children's needs don't change with the latest fashion.

Jacob x5
25-03-06, 13:11
...children's needs don't change with the latest fashion.

Absolutely. I totally agree. :tmb:

Spitfire
25-03-06, 13:21
Both of my parents worked full time when I was little. I went to a nursery and was left in the care of a carer when I was still only a baby.

I don't think it did me any harm :) And I have an incredibly strong bond with my parents :)
Me too, my parents worked hard to get me the things they did and the house we live in, and having me go to a nursery when i was little and pre school didn't do anything bad, if anything it could have made me more social to begin with.

Also i dont thnk this is incredibly fair when you think about single parents, my sister is a single parent so she kinda has no choice....

SUGARPIE
25-03-06, 13:30
I have to admit that I am constantly amazed by people's opinions on other forums regarding children.

Some folk are so dismissive when it comes to fronting up to a child's needs.

If you had a new Mercedes on the forecourt it is highly unlikely that you would toss the keys to a neighbour and say 'I am off for the next two weeks so have the run of my car' and yet people are happy to leave, what are supposedly the most important things in life, AKA their child/children to a relative stranger.

Am I wrong to criticise? Am I wrong to value the lives and welfare of children? Sure, some of you have had no ill-effects from being put into nursery at a young age and I am relieved to hear this but not all kids are socially as confident :)

Jacob x5
25-03-06, 13:34
SUGARPIE, I've decided I am going to just carry on letting you put my thoughts into words. :p

Spitfire
25-03-06, 13:39
I have to admit that I am constantly amazed by people's opinions on other forums regarding children.

Some folk are so dismissive when it comes to fronting up to a child's needs.

If you had a new Mercedes on the forecourt it is highly unlikely that you would toss the keys to a neighbour and say 'I am off for the next two weeks so have the run of my car' and yet people are happy to leave, what are supposedly the most important things in life, AKA their child/children to a relative stranger.

Am I wrong to criticise? Am I wrong to value the lives and welfare of children? Sure, some of you have had no ill-effects from being put into nursery at a young age and I am relieved to hear this but not all kids are socially as confident :)
Oh i don't disagree with you, but sometimes its kind of hard to do those things given the situation with money and such. Another thing was my mom would work and then take like a whole week off with me and take me to all these great places, even till this day we have days were she is already home and she takes me to lunch or dinner and im 16. For two working parents i've turned out pretty good with exceptional bonds for my parents that other kids would describe as annoying and bothersome.

SUGARPIE
25-03-06, 13:42
SUGARPIE, I've decided I am going to just carry on letting you put my thoughts into words. :p

LMFAO :vlol:

Glad to hear all worked out well Spitfire :hug:

xMiSsCrOfTx
25-03-06, 13:54
Do you think that all young toddlers deserve to have at least one parent at home? Or are you in support of the more modern way of doing things in terms of leaving a small baby/child in someone else's care?

I can positively state my answer, with personal experience of having my mother stay with me through many of my younger years at home, that when possible, a child should have at least one parent at home with them. You learn mostly everything you'll ever need to know from your parents. Values and morals, love, care, affection, it's all taught to you by your parents giving you those things. Some nanny or babysitter won't be able to do that.

Geck-o-Lizard
25-03-06, 14:07

Same here. :)

I was put into a nursery when I was about three, and before then, I'd been cared for alternately by my parents, their friends, carers, and relatives. I always got to see my parents from late afternoon on.

I think that if parents have stable full-time jobs, they shouldn't lose them even if they have kids, because having enough money to support your kids is part of looking after them. There are some extremely capable carers and nurseries out there where infants can be looked after through the day while his/her parents are out earning money to support the family. IMO, no matter how much care and attention you give the kid, if you can't afford to clothe them and feed them because you spend all your time looking after them instead seems a little daft. If you can afford to stay home with them then there's no reason not to, but I don't think that you should give up your long-term job just because you now have sprogs to look out for. :wve:

Pipolinne
25-03-06, 16:02
Exactly my point,Geck!