PDA

View Full Version : Playing emotions!

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 16:51
Hello!

Once again,I've been thinking about this for a while.

I'm feeling really thrilled about playing Legend,but,somehow,I lose some of my enthusiasm when I think about fighting skeletons,skulled like demons and the rest of the Bony family.Indeed,I admit I'm quite scared,though I perfectly know it's a game and all that.The opposite was to feel almost a maniacal happiness when I knew Lara could get Excalibur,lol!

But,when we are playing,sometimes it's a bit difficult to think "I won't get scared,this is only a game :D"!Unless,it's the 2349703459300303th time we die,then we'll remember it's a game and that we are stuck in a level and feel like breaking the computer and killing the game designer :D,but untill that moment of enlightment to appear...

That's why I think it's quite interesting we have those "rewards" in the end of a level,because it makes the game more game,and,at least for me,the skellied look less skellies if I think I can defeat them and win a gold medal,lol!

Now,this thread isn't about if games are dangerous or not,but about our views on this. What do you feel while playing a more gloomy/scary/suspense level?Did you ever feel scared or particulary joyful when playing a game?Is there any particular level/game you felt to be a bit more intense?

Share your gaming experiences :wve:!

jarhead
26-03-06, 17:02
i just realise its a game but i used to get annoyed if i kept on dying. i also got scared when the tyrant burst throguht the wall in ressiedent evil 3 but i was 10 so its understandable. im 14 and dont easily get scared by games. i do feel pleases and happy when my sims give birth ad enjoy being a family.

amlai
26-03-06, 17:07
Hi pipolinne, well i'm basicly a tr gamer, i have played others games too but i must say or bring it up the first game of TR (TR1), i remember have been a very joyful experience and i think not just the game but the first demo when the music, the caves, the enemies and "this" character made me feel like an explorer, i guess i can call it suspense, there was a lot of emotions back then, i allways will remember that momment. :)

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 17:26
I 'm thinking about writting a gentle letter to Crystal Dynamics asking them if they could remove the skellies from my game,lol!

Well,I'm also a TR player,if speaking about videogames.But there are some games from gameblast that I also enjoyed,like the Wik and the Fable of Souls,whose graphics were simply gorgeous!!And the plot was a little twisted...you never saw nothing,but the idea was deep,lol!

Geck-o-Lizard
26-03-06, 17:56
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. Second last level, the Shalebridge Cradle.

I got so freaked out by it - and there weren't even any baddies in the first half of the level - that I ended up unable to finish it for weeks because I could only play for about two minutes at a time. How did I feel? Absolutely petrified of every shadow, noise and flicker of the light. There were only 9 true enemies in it, but they were the most utterly terrifying and evil creatures ever thought up by a level designer. "Puppets" of a haunted insane asylum, undead remnants of a nightmarish past.

Best level in any game I've ever played, hands down. And I'm still too scared to play it through a second time. D:

Jack Croft
26-03-06, 18:17
Hello!

Once again,I've been thinking about this for a while.

I'm feeling really thrilled about playing Legend,but,somehow,I lose some of my enthusiasm when I think about fighting skeletons,skulled like demons and the rest of the Bony family.Indeed,I admit I'm quite scared,though I perfectly know it's a game and all that.The opposite was to feel almost a maniacal happiness when I knew Lara could get Excalibur,lol!

But,when we are playing,sometimes it's a bit difficult to think "I won't get scared,this is only a game :D"!Unless,it's the 2349703459300303th time we die,then we'll remember it's a game and that we are stuck in a level and feel like breaking the computer and killing the game designer :D,but untill that moment of enlightment to appear...

That's why I think it's quite interesting we have those "rewards" in the end of a level,because it makes the game more game,and,at least for me,the skellied look less skellies if I think I can defeat them and win a gold medal,lol!

Now,this thread isn't about if games are dangerous or not,but about our views on this. What do you feel while playing a more gloomy/scary/suspense level?Did you ever feel scared or particulary joyful when playing a game?Is there any particular level/game you felt to be a bit more intense?

Share your gaming experiences :wve:!

when i die i cry....

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 19:16
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. Second last level, the Shalebridge Cradle.

I got so freaked out by it - and there weren't even any baddies in the first half of the level - that I ended up unable to finish it for weeks because I could only play for about two minutes at a time. How did I feel? Absolutely petrified of every shadow, noise and flicker of the light. There were only 9 true enemies in it, but they were the most utterly terrifying and evil creatures ever thought up by a level designer. "Puppets" of a haunted insane asylum, undead remnants of a nightmarish past.

Best level in any game I've ever played, hands down. And I'm still too scared to play it through a second time. D:

When I was playing Sanitarium and MCA, I even feel nauseated!
And in TRII, even after kiling the yetis,I always feel one of them must coming from somewhere,in order to grab Lara!All the noises seem to e yetis's ones!

Geck-o-Lizard
26-03-06, 19:21
In Thief, the lights started flickering whenever one of these zombies shuffled near, so when you looked down a dark, shadowy hallway and all you could see was a light flickering on and off... it makes a reasonable person turn paranoid, ya know? I don't think the yeti's had any influence on the map around them like that. :eek:

(the Yeti's did make me jump a foot though, I'm a person of quite a nervous disposition. :vlol: )

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 19:45
Yes!You knew they were there,but you didn't know when or from where they would come from!I never played it,but I imagine the feeling.

Those two levels in AOD strongly reminded me of concentration camps and I always thought they should be a little less realistic!

tlr online
26-03-06, 19:48
Dear, how does large green text make you feel?

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 19:53
Dear Justin,I've to answer it made me feel quite good,actually. I think I'll use that font while fighting the skeletons.

tlr online
26-03-06, 20:25
Why does everyone keep calling me Justin. It was only a joke... :(

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 22:06
Dear Mr.Tlr,I actualy felt quite well. I'll face the skeletons with that font :D! Better that way :)?

Btw: I didn't know it was a joke or would avoid calling you that.