PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar driver dies in collision

tlr online
26-03-06, 21:13
IndyCar driver Paul Dana died after his car collided with another car during a practice session at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sunday. Dana, 30, slammed into a car driven by Ed Carpenter at about 200mph after Carpenter had spun, hit the wall and nearly come to a complete stop. Both drivers were taken to hospital, where Dana was later pronounced dead. Indy Racing League officials said Carpenter, 25, was in a stable condition in hospital.

Dana, a former motorsport journalist, was part of the team owned by TV talk show host David Letterman and Bobby Rahal. He was in his second year in the championship and had qualified in ninth position for Sunday's Toyota Indy 300 - the first race of the new season.

Rahal said the team's other two cars - driven by Danica Patrick and Buddy Rice - would be pulled out of the race. "Obviously, this is a very black day for us," Rahal said. "This is a great tragedy." Dana is the first IRL driver killed since Tony Renna died in a crash during testing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in October 2003.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41488000/jpg/_41488310_dana_ap203.jpg

www.bbc.co.uk

xMiSsCrOfTx
26-03-06, 21:15
That's really sad.. :(

tlr online
26-03-06, 21:15
Did anyone see this on TV?

MattTR
26-03-06, 21:28
OMG! My cousin was at that practice thing in Homestead!!! I wonder if he saw it, I better call him up and ask him. That's really sad. :(

Tramp
26-03-06, 21:31
I cought it on the news last night as I was out all day at a bird show and auction.

I think I also heard a rally driver was killed also on the weekend.

amlai
26-03-06, 21:34
no, i din't saw it.... so sad :(

SUGARPIE
26-03-06, 21:41
Boys will be boys and they like extreme sports. At 200mph it is hardly surprising that a tragedy occurred. Very sad but it won't be the last time.

Even the professionals aren't exempt from these fatalaties.