PDA

View Full Version : canada's seal hunt

jarhead
26-03-06, 21:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4844008.stm
say no more. all you have to do is type in 'canada seal hunt' into and be shocked. i should be asleep but im signing everyy petition there is atm to stop it. please do the same,

Kamrusepas
26-03-06, 21:49
Everytime I hear about this I don't know whether to cry or throw up.

Catapharact
26-03-06, 22:00
Oh for the love of...

People... The Seal hunt is an important Canadian tradition. Without it, much of the fur traders around the North will be out of the Job. Secondly, the Seal population has to be reduced annually. If its allowed to grow out of conrol; a massive cull would be needed and a lot of the seals will be killed anyway.

Get all the facts right before making assumptions.

jarhead
26-03-06, 22:01
oh well dont worry i just love bluggening helpless seals with nails and wood before skinning them half alive is far better then gassing them or a single shot in the forehead. there are better more humain ways of killing

Kamrusepas
26-03-06, 22:02
Majority of the Canadian people are against it.

Besides, how is it essential to skin them alive?

And, most traditions don't make sense anyways.

I'm sorry if I'm not as cold and horrible a person as you, Catapharact :rolleyes:

Catapharact
26-03-06, 22:08
Majority of the Canadian people are against it.

Besides, how is it essential to skin them alive?

And, most traditions don't make sense anyways.

I'm sorry if I'm not as cold and horrible a person as you, Catapharact :rolleyes:

a) Majority of them aren't clubbed but shot between the head for a humne and quick kill.

b) Skin them alive? They never do that. In reality, they aren't even allowed to hunt seals with white coat; Only after they lose the white are they allowed to be hunted.

c) Ahuh.... Cold. Trust me, if I were cold I would have been banned already.

Pipolinne
26-03-06, 22:12
Tradition...such an intriguing word.Normally when used to justify barbarian acts. Some ancient had this tradition of sacrifying young children to the gods in order to get rain,for example.Once scientists already announced lack of rain will increase,perhaps we should bring back that tradition.

Kamrusepas
26-03-06, 22:12
Whatever the case, there is nothing you can say to justify it.

Catapharact
26-03-06, 22:16
Whatever the case, there is nothing you can say to justify it.

How about the lively hood and Jobs for all those traders who do this for a living? They need to feed their families don't they? If they are allowed to harvest something that later on will be culled by national officials anyway, I say let them do their work.

CroftsKid
26-03-06, 22:32
OMG we must stop areselfs!

Belfastard
26-03-06, 22:41
How about the lively hood and Jobs for all those traders who do this for a living? They need to feed their families don't they? If they are allowed to harvest something that later on will be culled by national officials anyway, I say let them do their work.

Remind me, who was on this planet first; animal or man?

SpongeBob Lover
26-03-06, 22:55
agree with Belfastard, i think they should stop it next thing you know they are endangered animals, how could someone stand to kill a poor, innocent creature. :(

xMiSsCrOfTx
26-03-06, 22:58
This is sickening. I agree with Belfastard on this one. Humans have invaded and taken over the planet, and slaughtering seals is seemingly only the beginning. When will we learn as humans when enough is enough?

Belfastard
26-03-06, 23:00
When will we learn as humans when enough is enough?

Exactly. Who are we interfere with nature? Nature has its own course.

xMiSsCrOfTx
26-03-06, 23:02
And sure, the traders need to feed their families, but there are MANY other ways of bringing home the bacon. You don't need to destroy nature's delicate and innocent creatures like that. That should be the LAST thing someone would do.

SpongeBob Lover
26-03-06, 23:25
i agree with alyssa too. :wve:

Catapharact
27-03-06, 00:19
Ummm, how many of you eat chicken or Beef for that matter? If you are truly concerened for the animals and not just hypocritical on the topic, I would expect to find a whole lot of vegitarians here. Sadly, I don't think most of you are (since there was a vegi thread a while ago and almost no one responded.)

As I said before, the Seal population is necessarily culled anyway to avoid potential overpopulation and damage to other species like fishes. The seal hunt is sort of a controlled cull to stop that problem from happening in the first place.

And I'll say it again; read you facts people. Melonie is right... People here aren't open to opinions at all.

Belfastard
27-03-06, 01:10
And I'll say it again; read you facts people. Melonie is right... People here aren't open to opinions at all.

And you're open to our opinions? The way you come across, you certainly don't seem the slightest bit interested.

All you seem to care about is coming across as the correct 1 in the debate.

Camera Obscura
27-03-06, 01:20
I think people get upset about this because it involves something "Cuddable and cute"

How many of you would say the same thing if the hunted animal was an endangered cockroach?

SUGARPIE
27-03-06, 01:23
I am tempted to feel that Mother nature has a tendency to self-modify if left to it's own devices.

The fact is that there do seem to be a great many trends for culling in the feigned interests of killing an animal to save others. Sadly, a great deal of illegal hunting for firs and such things as ivory are rampant in a great many countries.

Culling should really only be an option where disease is rife.

DREWY
27-03-06, 01:27
See the points from both sides (btw love the phrase " bringing home the bacon " Miss Croft)
Its the pics that show the still white seal pups being killed that cause the main problem. It Australia we have the same thing where thousands of kangeroos are culled to keep the population under control. If not, they would die of starvation, now whats crueler?

I don't know on the fur seal population, but if they are killed off won't the skin workers be unemployed anyway?

If it has to be done it needs safeguards to ensure it is done humanely. I don't think we as a whole know enough to judge one way or the other.
Seems cruel, is it required or profit driven?

stereopathic
27-03-06, 03:04
Secondly, the Seal population has to be reduced annually. If its allowed to grow out of conrol; a massive cull would be needed and a lot of the seals will be killed anyway.

so we should kill seals to keep us from having to kill seals.

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-03-06, 03:07
How many of you would say the same thing if the hunted animal was an endangered cockroach?

The type of creature doesn't matter at all, at least not to me. I'd still feel that it was wrong to be exterminating millions of cockroaches for the wrong reasons.

SUGARPIE
27-03-06, 03:12
The type of creature doesn't matter at all, at least not to me. I'd still feel that it was wrong to be exterminating millions of cockroaches for the wrong reasons.

Indeed. It isn't all about some misguided 'cute' factor it is about humans assuming themselves to be a superior race with the right to point the trigger wherever we see fit.

Point of fact, we are the most destructive beings on this planet and have overfished the seas - not the seals. Nature has by and large it's own balance. It's the humans that have always upset the balance through sheer greed and profit.

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-03-06, 03:13
Well said, Sugarpie. :tmb:

Draco
27-03-06, 03:21
Abortion isn't any better.

interstellardave
27-03-06, 03:29
Abortion isn't any better.
I have neither the time nor the desire to enter this debate now that you've added this to the mix, but KUDOS to you for really stirring the pot! Can't wait to see what happens next...

stereopathic
27-03-06, 03:32
I have neither the time nor the desire to enter this debate now that you've added this to the mix, but KUDOS to you for really stirring the pot! Can't wait to see what happens next...

haha!! i'm with you there, interstellardave. :D

SUGARPIE
27-03-06, 03:33
Draco, what on earth has abortion got to do with Canadian seals? At this rate we might just as well drag in the Muslim extremists who have beheaded their captives!

*sigh*

Belfastard
27-03-06, 03:38
Draco, what on earth has abortion got to do with Canadian seals? At this rate we might just as well drag in the Muslim extremists who have beheaded their captives!

*sigh*

Lo, some people just like to stir the pot (Just as stereopathic said) and sit back and watch.

Draco
27-03-06, 03:39

*sigh*

I believe killing any living thing for no good reason is wrong.

I'm just curious as to how many of you harping on about the seals are also pro-choice.

HollabackBoy
27-03-06, 03:41
Ahuh.... Cold. Trust me, if I were cold I would have been banned already.

Any colder and you'd be ice... :rolleyes:

Belfastard
27-03-06, 03:45

:vlol: :tmb:

SUGARPIE
27-03-06, 03:46

I'm just curious as to how many of you harping on about the seals are also pro-choice.

I don't call caring about mass culling as 'Harping on'.

Abortion doesn't belong in this thread and has absolutely no relevance to the comments made thus far. If you wish to 'harp on' about abortion then my advice would be to start a new thread and I would be more than happy to post a response there.

This thread is devoted to wildlife issues and in particular seals.

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-03-06, 03:48

Ouch.

Belfastard
27-03-06, 03:49

OK, so from this we take it your against abortion.

Now let's make a scenario; if you had a daughter, who was say.. 15/16, and she fell pregnant, and confided in you and also said that she wanted an abortion.

What would you say? I'm very curious.

EDIT: Sorry for being off-topic, I am just very curious what Draco's response would be to this.

Draco
27-03-06, 03:51
Nice dodge, but I don't see how animal life being taken is different than human life being taken.

So I think it is an applicable supposition.

Draco
27-03-06, 03:53
OK, so from this we take it your against abortion.

Now let's make a scenario; if you had a daughter, who was say.. 15/16, and she fell pregnant, and confided in you and also said that she wanted an abortion.

What would you say? I'm very curious.

EDIT: Sorry for being off-topic, I am just very curious what Draco's response would be to this.

If it so happened that she was, and she actually told me (how often does that happen?). I would give her all the alternatives I could. But it is her choice, whether I like it or not.

TR luver7
27-03-06, 03:53
omg that makes me want to die...thats sooooo horrible :(

Belfastard
27-03-06, 03:54
If it so happened that she was, and she actually told me (how often does that happen?). I would give her all the alternatives I could. But it is her choice, whether I like it or not.

See Draco, people always see it differently if a child/family member/friend is involved.

Any way.. back on topic now! :wve:

SUGARPIE
27-03-06, 03:55
But the point is Draco, you are attempting to steer the discussion away from the opening thread.

If you insist on hammering out a moral objection to abortion then why not start a new thread? Or are you merely trying to steal attention away from the original subject matter for your own ends?

ELEN
27-03-06, 03:56
Abortion is completely off topic. A discussion about it can be done in a separate thread.

ELEN
27-03-06, 03:57
Or are you merely trying to steal attention away from the original subject matter for your own ends?

You are pushing the limits. Back to the topic, please.

Draco
Everyone missed my point...bah forget it.

stereopathic
edit: nvrmnd, then.

SUGARPIE
My sentiments entirely Elen.

Draco
27-03-06, 03:58
that makes you pro-choice.

No, that makes me someone who obeys the law. I am not Pro-Choice.

DREWY
27-03-06, 04:01
Draco may be comming out of left field with the abortion part but he still seems to basically be agreeing with the majority of you I believe killing any living thing for no good reason is wrong

HollabackBoy
27-03-06, 04:03
Ouch.

Was I too harsh? :p ;)

stereopathic
27-03-06, 04:03
But it is her choice, whether I like it or not.

Draco
27-03-06, 04:07
Is it so hard to believe that I could disagree with a law yet still follow it?

stereopathic
27-03-06, 04:16
in this case standing by your convictions wouldn't be against the law.

angelika
27-03-06, 06:48
Ummm, how many of you eat chicken or Beef for that matter? If you are truly concerened for the animals and not just hypocritical on the topic, I would expect to find a whole lot of vegitarians here. Sadly, I don't think most of you are (since there was a vegi thread a while ago and almost no one responded.)

As I said before, the Seal population is necessarily culled anyway to avoid potential overpopulation and damage to other species like fishes. The seal hunt is sort of a controlled cull to stop that problem from happening in the first place.

What you say might be true. But the coin has two sides. I believe nature has provided that seals number will as much as necessary. Besides humans have overpopulated earth... should this number be reduced? (well there is a person on the planet who tries his best but that's no the isuue).
Do you honestly believe that people are wiser than nature.
As for your chicken and beef example, these are species that men control their breed. Men consume them but also take care of their replacement in nature. On the other hand hand there are no seal breeding farms.
And you who controls the cull? Is it done properly? How come seals are an indanger species?

Jacob x5
27-03-06, 06:55
Taken from the above article.
Up to 325,000 young harp seal pups could be killed in the coming weeks.

And for what? :mad:

JACOBryanBURNS
27-03-06, 06:57
Oh for the love of...

People... The Seal hunt is an important Canadian tradition. Without it, much of the fur traders around the North will be out of the Job. Secondly, the Seal population has to be reduced annually. If its allowed to grow out of conrol; a massive cull would be needed and a lot of the seals will be killed anyway.

Get all the facts right before making assumptions.

Catapharact is a canadian seal hunter...*stares*
Just joking. But I agree, it's been going on for ages, and as much as we don't approve, we cannot stop it. No matter how much we petition. And I had no idea there was such a seal overpopulation.

EDIT: Let me clarify, I do NOT approve of this act against seals, I think it's sick. But what I'm saying is there is NOTHING we can REALLY do about it. :-\ sorry if i came off sounding awful.

MiCkiZ88
27-03-06, 08:28
seal hunt !! :yik: *pukes*

Mona Sax
27-03-06, 08:43
It may be a tradition, but it's a sick one and has to be stopped. I don't know where we (humans) take the right to needlessly and cruelly kill thousands of animals from (that's where this issue differs from abortion and killing animals for meat).

We don't need to regulate animal populations, nature will take care of that itself. This argument is about as reasonable as defending genocide with "the human population has to be kept in balance".

Greenkey2
27-03-06, 09:49
Humans can train in and find other jobs. Seals, unfortuntely, can't.

And who, may I ask, says that the seal population HAS to be culled annually? They've been around a lot longer than us Homo sapiens and our guns ;). I'm sure the ecosystem got on perfectly well before we were around to oversee things in all our benevolent wisdom.

I strongly believe that killing for any reason other than for food is fundamentally wrong.

Draco
27-03-06, 10:02
in this case standing by your convictions wouldn't be against the law.

Forcing my views on other people is not what I do. Assuming that is what you are implying I should do.