PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS or Sony PsP?

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-04-06, 18:49
I'm going to buy one of the two, but I'm not sure which one. I'd definitely save money on the DS, and there are lots of great games I want for it; however, there are also great games that I want for the PsP! Right now I'm weighing out the pros and cons.

Nintendo DS: I'd save about $100, and the games are cheaper (I think...).

Sony PsP: I'd be able to watch movies and download MP3s on it as well as play games.

Pretty much that's all I have right now. I could use some more input. Thanks. :)

stereopathic
11-04-06, 18:54
i love my psp. don't forget it's also wi-fi and you can browse the internet, check your email and even visit the forums with it. however you will need to buy a good memory stick. mine's a gig, but that's another significant expense.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
11-04-06, 20:19
psp, MUCH better get psp!

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-04-06, 20:25
Thanks guys. :) So far the PSP is winning. ;)

jarhead
11-04-06, 20:26
another vote for psp- offer much much more

Titanium
11-04-06, 20:28
If you just want a portable gaming system then go for the DS.
If you want an all round entertainment center then go for PSP :)

But I say PSP! :D

Capt. Murphy
11-04-06, 20:30
I've heard the controls for the PSP aren't the best for more action intensive games. Is this true?

Anyway, I was going to say the DS... It's cart based right? 'Cause I don't know. Seems like if you're playing a game and have to rapid fire... and you're using a CD.... :D Maybe the skip protection on the PSP is way beyond anything I've ever imagined. :p

Whatever you want Mel. I guess either way it evens out. Higher price = more options. Better price = less options.

Olvidarse
11-04-06, 20:31
I think I'd go for a PSP. I don't see the worth in those $15-$20 PSP movies, though. You don't want to degrade your vision. :cln:

And leave music to the iPod. :ohn:

Tomb Raider 5194
11-04-06, 20:55
Well they both are good but I dont know with one is better, they both have some good stuff.

DS: Very fun and addictive games, not much graphics but that makes you remember the classics :), and last it is good to touch with it ( especially in Nintendogs :tmb: ohhh and btw the DS light is coming white and lesser weight and much better than the normal one)

PSP: Has good graphics that can be compared with the PS2, has some good games, and it well, plays music, plays movies, and well etc.

The Psp is good but the DS is too. I have both but stangely I dont know wich one is better.

Angel666
11-04-06, 22:09
I am getting a DS this summer. I'm not going for the light because I saw a thing on it and the only reall changes were the screen brightness, it's lighter, and comes in a different color. Not really worth the extra cash, imo.

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-04-06, 22:11
I'm still not sure, but I'm thinking maybe the DS will fit my budget better. I'm getting a new job sometime after I move, so I'll get a PsP then. It definitely has more to offer, but not only is the core DS console cheaper, but the games are too. So it looks like the DS may be winning now. :p

Thanks everyone. :hug:

ace_85
11-04-06, 22:26
I own a PSP and I have to say that the graphics it can produce bearing in mind it's a handheld console are awesome. The battery life's pretty good too, 3-5 hours on full charge and depending on what you're doing (obviously, gaming uses more power than listening to mp3s). However, I have to say that the price of games IS high for PSP, and unless you get the Giga pack you will probably need to spend a bit more for a decent memory stick to get the most out of it. IMO, the PSP is more of an all-round entertainment system, so I didn't have a problem handing over the extra cash, but if you're only looking for a games machine it might make more sense to get the DS

meansizzler
11-04-06, 22:28
Hey Melonie, I know you like your Adventure games so I say go for the Ds, it has a much stronger database of games, yes it is bulky and pretty ugly compared to the PSP but and the end of the day it has the games and that's what it is really about, as for the PSP yes it has the looks and speed and power but not the games I got one myself, only used it to play movies and music but there are far better devices out there, if you want it for music your looking at spending $100 on top for a memory card, and like $20 for each UMD film, not worth it in my opinion, I work on a games stall and I have never seen a girl with a PSP or come to buy PSP games, they always look for DS one's the other day I saw a 9 year old girl with a DS, oh and Mario Kart online is a blast on it..., no loading times, and although the console is bulky it's much more stronger than a PSP, so should withstand a hefty blow or drop...

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-04-06, 22:37
Hey Melonie, I know you like your Adventure games so I say go for the Ds, it has a much stronger database of games, yes it is bulky and pretty ugly compared to the PSP but and the end of the day it has the games and that's what it is really about, as for the PSP yes it has the looks and speed and power but not the games I got one myself, only used it to play movies and music but there are far better devices out there, if you want it for music your looking at spending $100 on top for a memory card, and like $20 for each UMD film, not worth it in my opinion, I work on a games stall and I have never seen a girl with a PSP or come to buy PSP games, they always look for DS one's the other day I saw a 9 year old girl with a DS, oh and Mario Kart online is a blast on it..., no loading times, and although the console is bulky it's much more stronger than a PSP, so should withstand a hefty blow or drop...

Well you're definitely convincing. ;) I was doing more research and i read that a lot of girls love the DS, so that also caused me to lean toward that option. I don't exactly follow the mainstream girl with my games and stuff in general, but I still am a girl after all, so if girls like the DS better overall, chances are I will too. :D

Thanks for such helpful advice everyone. :hug:

meansizzler
11-04-06, 22:42
don't exactly follow the mainstream girl with my games and stuff in general, but I still am a girl after all, so if girls like the DS better overall, chances are I will too. :D

Thanks for such helpful advice everyone. :hug:

Yup, can't picture you playing Pokemon or Nintendo dogs...:D

xMiSsCrOfTx
11-04-06, 22:43
Hey Mel! :wve: PSP! :D

meansizzler
11-04-06, 22:46
Hey Mel! :wve: PSP! :D

You have one?, what games do you have on it, I had a Japanese white one, was all pimped out with a 2GB Memory Stick, but I never used it much and swapped it for a 360, and yes I kept the 2GB card, but it was a good deal, I'll prolly get a PSP when Tekken comes out though, only game I am interested in...

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-04-06, 22:48
Yup, can't picture you playing Pokemon or Nintendo dogs...:D

actually... yes I could picture that easily. haha! :vlol: I love Pokemon games! On handhelds anyway. I have Fire Red and Leaf Green for the GBA and I love them both. :) Although they are basically the same lol.

Nintendogs looks super cute too, I'll probably buy that one as well. :p And animal crossing! Oh, not to mention there is a new Harvest Moon game coming out for the DS as well. I'll get that one too! :jmp:
I'll also get Super Smash Brothers DS once it's released. Metroid Prime: Hunters, Castlevania, and Advanced Wars look great too!

I like a wide variety of games. Whether they require you to blow people's heads off or raise a puppy, I'll play them! Looks like DS is the better way for me to go with game selection, and that's what I would be buying it for anyway.

Tomb Raider 5194
11-04-06, 22:51
actually... yes I could picture that easily. haha! :vlol: I love Pokemon games! On handhelds anyway. I have Fire Red and Leaf Green for the GBA and I love them both. :) Although they are basically the same lol.

Nintendogs looks super cute too, I'll probably buy that one as well. :p And animal crossing! Oh, not to mention there is a new Harvest Moon game coming out for the DS as well. I'll get that one too! :jmp:

I like a wide variety of games. Whether they require you to blow people's heads off or raise a puppy, I'll play them! :D
Then the DS is perfect for you :tmb: Ohhhh and Nintendogs is very fun :tmb:

meansizzler
11-04-06, 22:55
They have a new revison of the DS coming out soon called the DS Light, they made it a bit smaller and a little less uglier..

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/nintendods-lite-pure-white1.jpg

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/nintendods-lite-pure-white8.jpg

LINK (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=370&products_id=8634&)