PDA

View Full Version : Myth or fact?

CerebralAssassin
13-04-06, 16:28
I've heard that caffeine retards hair growth.Is this true?This is of particular interest to me because I'm a long-haired dude wanna-be.

Lavinder
13-04-06, 16:29
What do you mean by that? I dont get your meaning of retards?

I heard testosterone makes you go bald..

CerebralAssassin
13-04-06, 16:33
I mean if the rate of growth goes down..

Thorir
13-04-06, 16:35
Never heard that before. I highly doubt it. Billions of people drink coffee worldwide, and if it was true, more people would know it. ;)

Elysia
13-04-06, 17:06
My husband drinks about 10- 15 cups of coffee (at least) a day and his hair is nearly down to the waistband of his jeans... so I'd say *definitely* myth! (especially since I cut it to just below shoulder length about 8 months ago - it's grown over a foot since then!)

Whether your hair will grow long is actually genetic. Mine won't grow further than the middle of my back; I think my husbands hair could take over the world if left unchecked!

Neteru
13-04-06, 17:06
I highly doubt it. Especially considering that caffeine is a stimulant that makes your heart pump faster, rushing the blood around your body, which in turn would encourage hair growth.

I drink coffee every day and my hair is long.

JACOBryanBURNS
13-04-06, 17:21
I've been sucking on starbucks for years and my hair has always, until now, been real long and very quick growing. I would think it would be like Neteru said, make your hair grow faster.

interstellardave
13-04-06, 17:29
It may not have an effect either way but then we're just guessing here. This is a question for "Mythbusters!" (Great show, BTW).

interstellardave
13-04-06, 17:34
LOL, just a very quick google search revealed both sides of the story--and no apparent "facts"! One study suggests that caffeine does inhibit hair growth because it depletes the body of vitamins. Another story praises caffeine as a shampoo additive to prevent hair loss!

CerebralAssassin
13-04-06, 17:35
LOL, just a very quick google search revealed both sides of the story--and no apparent "facts"! One study suggests that caffeine does inhibit hair growth because it depletes the body of vitamins. Another story praises caffeine as a shampoo additive to prevent hair loss!
Go figure!

Raydai
13-04-06, 17:43
In a cup of tea there is also caffeine like coffee and I drink rather tea then coffee because I don't want yellow/grey teeth and a bad breath and my hair is long...:p

T.Onix
13-04-06, 18:24
I highly doubt it. Especially considering that caffeine is a stimulant that makes your heart pump faster, rushing the blood around your body, which in turn would encourage hair growth.

I drink coffee every day and my hair is long.
???????
Time to update your pic then!

I drink coffee every day, but I keep my hair short, so I wouldn't know.

Neteru
13-04-06, 18:40
I did. It's somewhere in the members pics thread. Somewhere... :D

Nicky
13-04-06, 18:46
I've heard that caffeine retards hair growth.

Huh? I've heard exactly the opposite.

T.Onix
13-04-06, 18:55
I did. It's somewhere in the members pics thread. Somewhere... :D
You do realize you just made me start a 3 hours search?

tombraider123
13-04-06, 19:08
I drink coffee a lot... :)

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 19:19
The best way to encourage hair growth is to take plenty of vitamins and not over-process it with chemicals.

Never brush hair whilst it is wet, use baby shampoo which will not strip the hair of too much oil and occasionally treat your hair by putting warm olive oil on it and wrapping your head in a warm towel.

I lost my hair through illness once and it took so long to grow back and it did not grow back as thick as it had been but it is quite thick again now because I have taken vitamins and such and have also worn it back quite a bit as opposed to down and constantly brushing it.

The best brush to use is a bristle brush (a bit like a clothes brush in terms of the fibres). It is far gentler on the hair than say a plastic or metal brush. :wve:

T.Onix
13-04-06, 19:23
Net, I found the post, but the pic is gone.
can you post it again, for me, please? :D :D :D
I promise many cow kisses.

interstellardave
13-04-06, 19:25
LOL, that's just the coolest avatar, T.Onix! :tmb:

T.Onix
13-04-06, 19:33
My, thank you.
Receive a kiss from Cow.

CerebralAssassin
13-04-06, 19:35
The best way to encourage hair growth is to take plenty of vitamins and not over-process it with chemicals.

Never brush hair whilst it is wet, use baby shampoo which will not strip the hair of too much oil and occasionally treat your hair by putting warm olive oil on it and wrapping your head in a warm towel.

I lost my hair through illness once and it took so long to grow back and it did not grow back as thick as it had been but it is quite thick again now because I have taken vitamins and such and have also worn it back quite a bit as opposed to down and constantly brushing it.

The best brush to use is a bristle brush (a bit like a clothes brush in terms of the fibres). It is far gentler on the hair than say a plastic or metal brush. :wve:
where can I find these vitamins you're talking about?

T.Onix
13-04-06, 19:38
I heard eating jello encourages hair growth. It has keratine, which is a hair component. They even sell pills called "Gelatin" to encourage hair and nails growth.

Neteru
13-04-06, 19:50
Net, I found the post, but the pic is gone.
can you post it again, for me, please? :D :D :D
I promise many cow kisses.LOL @ the many cow kisses. You must have been looking at the wrong post then because I haven't deleted the attachment. Post number 1249 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=743462#post743462)

T.Onix
13-04-06, 20:11
YIKES!
That's completely different from your blonde look!!
Sexy!!!!!!!!
About your cow kisses, you can stare at my avatar as long as you want :D