PDA

View Full Version : You need a good meal....

Airave
13-04-06, 18:26
after a hard day raiding tombs, shooting whatever
you don't like, free climbing, running & jumping, etc...

If you are like me you like to relax and unwind
drinking a glass of wine and cooking a nice dinner
(and eating it afterwords!).

Traveling all around the world is a great way to
add to your culinary knowledge and skills too.
Another benny of tomb raiding!

Tonight I made a Mediterranean dish made of
strips of chicken breasts, onions, eggplant, and
mushrooms cooked in white wine (Austrlalien
Chardonnay- so sue me 'cause I had no Domestica
or, better yet, Mino's Palace- from Kriti on supply)
and Cretean spices. Served it with good pasta using
a reduction of the wine/olive oil/natural juices/spices
as a sauce. Oh, and garlic- forgot to mention garlic!:D

What do you love to cook and/or eat after a long TR day??

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 18:32
I sometimes nip to the shop for a hot roast chicken. They have a knack of making it fall off the bone, it's delicious!

Airave
13-04-06, 18:42
Toooo Easy, Sugar! :p

On the other side cooking does take time...

:)

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 18:47
Hehehe actually I do bake and I make my own dishes, usually in bulk for the freezer and I don't buy packet sauces, I prefer to make my own ;)

The last thing I made was a risotto, a right wok full and there is still a bowls worth left for later.

I make my own soups and pate too but moreso when I was married. It can indeed be easy to cheat when you live alone. but I try to make the effort :tmb:

Neteru
13-04-06, 18:47
:confused: What is 'cooking'? :confused:

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 18:49
Net I think it is something to do with lying in the sun for too long :ton:

JACOBryanBURNS
13-04-06, 18:53
TACO BELL!

Geck-o-Lizard
13-04-06, 18:56
Net I think it is something to do with lying in the sun for too long :ton:

:vlol:

I cook pizza, and my pizzas rock universally. ;) Can't be bothered making dough from scratch so I buy just-add-water dough mix and make a couple of nice big thin bases... then add tomato sauce (chopped tinned tomatoes mixed with garlic, chilli powder, crushed pepper and some lemon juice), pepperoni, fine-chopped mozzarella, anchovies, black olives, onions, green/red peppers, fried mushrooms, sliced tomato...

Airave
13-04-06, 18:59
Haha! Actually I cook every night (almost),
but when my wife is away on business or
something (couple weeks every couple years)
I end up heating up pizza and stuff.

No point or fun to cook for one.

I love cooking! Almost became a cook/chef,
but found I could make more $$ easier with
art/grafix/photo so got into that field
(and is at least as much fun!).

Still want to know who else here shares
this one of my passions!:D

Cook-out! Come on!

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 19:00

I cook pizza, and my pizzas rock universally. ;) Can't be bothered making dough from scratch so I buy just-add-water dough mix and make a couple of nice big thin bases... then add tomato sauce (chopped tinned tomatoes mixed with garlic, chilli powder, crushed pepper and some lemon juice), pepperoni, fine-chopped mozzarella, anchovies, black olives, onions, green/red peppers, fried mushrooms, sliced tomato...

Yum! I used to buy the pizza bases and 'build my own' I often get a pizza and just throw on a tin of tuna and extra cheese!

Airave
13-04-06, 19:03
I miss Taco Bell sooo much here!!!!
My favorite fast food by far!

Oh, I can dig that! And do that too at times- use a commercial base
and make it rock! Cheers Gecko!

Airave
13-04-06, 19:05
Right Sugar?:D

Hehe we both said "base".:hug:

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 19:11
:hug: hehehe

I have to admit I tried beef jerky once on a camping trip and utterly loved it! I bought it from the American PX in Garmish, Germany Airwave. I hope they start selling it in the UK. It was delicious! I know it's not technically on topic but I just thought of it :) Does anyone else like it?

ChocChipCookie
13-04-06, 19:14

Yep, cooking for me is taking something out of the freezer (readymeal/pizza etc) and whacking it in the oven. Not the healthiest option I know, but life's too short to be spending it slaving away in the kitchen :p :)

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 19:28
I don't much favour pre-packed meals. They are expensive, the portions are too small and they are not nutritional. That said I can't resist the odd Admiral's pie :D They use the same source as that in the cod boil-in-a-bag (butter sauce), they are my only indulgences.

I do buy frozen veg however these days as the freezing process is more efficient and nutrients are retained. I tend to steam them as they retain even more nutrients that way. :) I'm not one for slaving over veg preperation and I leave all the skins on the potatoes for their fibre content.

JACOBryanBURNS
13-04-06, 19:30
after a hard day's raid... i'd prefer to sit down with a bottle of Belvedere and some spanish olives. <3

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-04-06, 19:31
After raiding... Hmm. PIZZA! :D :yah:

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 19:35
Oh and who likes the odd KFC bucket? Forget the beans and all the side orders just give me that spicey chicken :yah:

CerebralAssassin
13-04-06, 19:36
After raiding... Hmm. PIZZA! :D :yah:
Your my type of girl LOL!

Airave
13-04-06, 20:21
Great stuff, Raiders!

Although I can not stand eating
"out of the package" (a matter of pride
perhaps), but a good "instant dinner"
CAN add time to my playing (TR or Guitar)
and I likes that too at times.:)

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 20:27
Actually that's true Airave! I sometimes buy tins of chicken in white sauce for a quick mid-raiding snack :D Blimey you should see the chunks of chicken in that! Most brands are the same. But like you I tend to try and eat healthily.

I eat a lot of those pitta breads. I toast them and stuff them with lettuce and tuna but sadly, with the tuna there must be salad cream (bit norty!), as tuna can be a bit bland without dressing although proper tuna steaks are rather flavoursome and meaty.

I also love poached trout and salmon but can't stand the skin, very sticky and off-putting :)

Night Crawler
13-04-06, 20:32
:confused: What is 'cooking'? :confused:2 weetabix
a bowl
some sugar
some milk
1 table spoon.

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-04-06, 20:41
2 weetabix
a bowl
some sugar
some milk
1 table spoon.

Great method. I use it often. :tmb: OR!

1 piece of white bread
1 knife
1 slice of butter
1 toaster

:D

Airave
13-04-06, 20:58
This is great!

Tuna needs some mayo or oil,
is too dry without.

Salmon, on the other hand, is tastily
oily by itself! Yumm!!!

Don't eat the skin!:confused:

Airave
13-04-06, 21:00
Great method. I use it often. :tmb: OR!

1 piece of white bread
1 knife
1 slice of butter
1 toaster

:D

Do you butter the toast before or after toasting?;)

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 21:04
Do you butter the toast before or after toasting?;)

:vlol: Depends whether they are toasting or making a toastie :p I hate that having to slap butter on BEFORE making a toastie, the whole sandwich sticks to the plate :D

Salmon skin is not bad tasting but I just have a thing about eating it. Not keen on the texture Airave, regardless of if it has been baked or poached. But in tinned salmon I just mash it all up and try not to think about it. I can't be bothered removing it! :D

Celephais
13-04-06, 21:06

I embarked on an abortive college course in catering at at one point and the experience put me off cooking for life. I don't even like watching cookery programs But I can still make pea soup like nobody's business. I know the arcane secret :pi:

Thes days however it's really just

1)Pierce clingfilm cover
2)Set to 10 mins
3)Press "Start"

Airave
13-04-06, 21:09
Tinned Salmon has skin??!! :o
Bad indeed...

Throw it out! What a rip off
to charge you for skin!

Airave
13-04-06, 21:12
I embarked on an abortive college course in catering at at one point and the experience put me off cooking for life. I don't even like watching cookery programs But I can still make pea soup like nobody's business. I know the arcane secret :pi:

Thes days however it's really just

1)Pierce clingfilm cover
2)Set to 10 mins
3)Press "Start"

LOL! Good one!

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 21:26
Tinned Salmon has skin??!! :o
Bad indeed...

Throw it out! What a rip off
to charge you for skin!

Then there is the spine and all those other little bones ewww :vlol:

Forwen
13-04-06, 21:33
No one fries saucepans as well as I do. Who said it wasn't art?

Neteru
13-04-06, 21:34
2 weetabix
a bowl
some sugar
some milk
1 table spoon.LOL yeah, but it's three for me, and no sugar. :)

LOL Celephais, that too.

Airave
13-04-06, 21:35
Then there is the spine and all those other little bones ewww :vlol:

Hmmm, on the other side you have
backbone and skin as well....:D

Haha, that was out of line:)

jarhead
13-04-06, 21:35
muffins, pancakes, mirangue and anythhing fruity. ice cream, and especially sorbet, smoothies and well the list goes on

SUGARPIE
13-04-06, 21:37
LOL yeah, but it's three for me, and no sugar. :)

But you know you love me really Net :D

Tramp
13-04-06, 23:51
I actually love the bones in tinned salmon.

Last night was grilled pork spare ribs, steamed rice and home made Sweet and Sour Sauce. It's a really easy sauce 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cornflour (or cornstarch), 1/4 water, 1/4 white vinegar and 1 tablespoon Tomato Sauce (Ketchup). Blend togeter microwave on high until sauce thickens and sort of goes clear (not milky looking). It's the same sauce that we get in the chinese restaurants over here. To make more just double, triple whatever the recipe.

I really miss Boston Market. They had take away meals like you would make yourself. I loved their Chicken Pie and their Corn Bread was delicious. Sometimes I would go through the drive thru and just get 1/2 dozen Corn Bread. When I got home I would wrap one in kitchen paper heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then eat it hot with butter. Yum.

We used to have Taco Bell but it seems to have disappeared. I usually make my own Taco's though. With lashings of Sour Cream. Old El Paso have finally got some brains and started makeing flat bottomed Taco Shells.

One of my favourite meals is Escalopes of Veal in Mushroom Sauce served on hot buttered noodles with fresh salad.

I just love cooking. Wish I had my new kitchen in though. It's getting really annoying working with a portable oven and a portable hot plate. Can't wait to use my new Fan Forced oven with separate grill and bench top hot plates, all four of them.

Geck-o-Lizard
14-04-06, 00:48
I like the bones in tinned salmon too! Just nicely crumbly and brittle, adds some extra texture. Not keen on skin though - bit too slimy for me.

How about smoked fish? I love anything smoked, and smoked mackerel is brilliant cold with some olives, smoked cheese, houmous and toast.

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-04-06, 00:52
How about smoked fish?

I tried that a few years ago, and surprisingly, I really liked it. :tmb:

meansizzler
14-04-06, 01:01
Anyone tried Chicken and Corn soup, made the asian way, with actual bits of chicken in..., it's seriously yummy..:D

Tramp
14-04-06, 01:54
Geck I am having smoked fish tonight actually (Smoked Cod). It's Good Friday here already. But I don't just cook the smoked fish. I poach the fish then cool it and flake and de-bone it. Then I make a white sauce (Bechamel) starting the proper way with butter and plain flour (not cake flour). Then instead of just using milk to make the sauce I use the water from a can or Corn Kernels. Then I use the milk. When the sauce is made I add the Corn Kernels and the Fish and heat it through. Serve with Mashed Potato and what other vegetables you want or just on it's own. Reheats very well.

I'm not over keen on the skin from salmon either.

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-04-06, 02:04
Sounds delicious, Kate! :tmb:

Tramp
14-04-06, 02:10
It is. It's one of my favourites. To my mind smoked fish has to have white sauce with it and the corn goes with it absolutely perfectly. I also hate getting bones in fish hence it is easier to bone it and flake it then add it to the sauce instead of just putting the fish on the plate whole then put the sauce over it.

Airave
14-04-06, 18:09
Hi Kate!:wve:

Here is what I made for Good Friday:

Smoked Alaska Salmon

with Boiled fresh Potatoes
and white Asparagus

covered with a sauce made from
cream, white wine and juices from
the salmon. melted in some white cheese
just before serving.

Slices of small tomatoes and slivers
of green onion for deko.:D

Tramp
14-04-06, 21:49
Airave that sounds delicious. The only thing is I prefer green asparagus and I usually have it with Hollandaise Sauce. I also like Hollandaise Sauce with Fresh Green Beans.

My smoked cod was delicious. I have enough made for today too or I can freeze it for later.

Airave
14-04-06, 22:07
Airave that sounds delicious. The only thing is I prefer green asparagus and I usually have it with Hollandaise Sauce..

I agree 100% on that!
Had to compromise though...
Germans love the white variety
and my sauce came from what
I had available.

My girls loved it though!:)

The presentation too!
Should have taken pix- damn!

jarhead
14-04-06, 22:10
im hungary now.

Airave
14-04-06, 22:17
W00t!

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-04-06, 22:19
My smoked cod was delicious. I have enough made for today too or I can freeze it for later.

Does smoked cod reheat well?

Tramp
14-04-06, 22:42
Very well especially if it is in a sauce like I do it. It also freezes well. I do it all bar the poaching in the microwave. I make all my sauces in the microwave as you don't have to stand there and constantly stir them. I just don't add all the liquid at once, I let it thicken then use a whisk to add the rest of the liquid and to smooth it out. I never use a recipe though I just go by feel. That way I can adjust the thickness of the sauce.

Maureen Errant
15-04-06, 06:09
Hello everyone.....

Spent 2 years as a pizza cook and now I won't eat it. I make it, but I don't like eating it. Spent 5 yeart after that working as a line cook. You want your burger flipped, your fries fried, your bacon burnt, or your eggs scrambled.........I'm your girl.

I use any excuse I can so I don't have to cook. One day I should estimate how many meals I've prepared. lol
This Sunday I bought a pre-stuffed turkey, I will reast the small potatoes in olive oil and spices (parsley, rosemary, basil, S&P) I'll also make a white sauce for tghe Brussels Sprouts. I make a mean roux. I think I'll also make a layer cake of some description, haven't made up my mind yet.

After a hard days work the first thing I go for is a cup of COFFEE.....and usually a piece of fruit.