PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain EMO To Me?

YvesSL
17-04-06, 16:09
WTF is it? And why do all "emo" persons look the same? Just black, and that haircut?

:confused:

jarhead
17-04-06, 16:11
emo - short for "emotional." Emo is a broad title that covers a lot of different styles of emotionally-charged punk rock.

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-04-06, 16:12
Well, I think it's a type of music... It stands for 'emotional', which is kind of dumb, because everyone has emotions. I don't understand how one specific group of people can be 'labeled' that... Anyway, I hate stereotypes, but 'emo' is one. A lot of emo people at my school (the guys at least) wear tight 'girl' pants, write sad poems and songs, all that kind of stuff.

Geck-o-Lizard
17-04-06, 16:14
Yeah it's meant to be a reference to the sub-culture that sprang up around emotional rock/metal music, but now it's abused and used to talk about anyone who shows more negative emotion than most other people (everyone in western culture is pressurised into keeping their feelings to themselves and bottling everything up), so people who cut, write poetry or darker literature, wear black, don't always have a smile on their face, etc. get labelled "emo". Not kind.

YvesSL
17-04-06, 16:14
Wow, Emo is the most stupid thing ever.

It's just something for attention.

Pipolinne
17-04-06, 16:15
It looks like a bad copy of the so called gothics.Isn't a group also called "screamo" or whatever?

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-04-06, 16:16
Screamo is another type of music, which I particularly can't stand.

jarhead
17-04-06, 16:17
http://www.dobi.nu/emo/

you can learn how to dress like them if yur interested :rolleyes:

Mxtt
17-04-06, 16:20
According to Urban Dictionary...

"Emo" is not short for "Emotional." "Emo" does not mean Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, despite what MTV has lead you to believe in the last few years. "Emo" is not sidebangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships. "Emo" is not the use of diluted, meaningless metaphors and similes such as "My arms are like pinecones," and most definitely is not the rampant use of words such as "autumn," "heart," "knife," "bleeding," "leaves," and "razorblade."

I just thought I'd clear that up after all of these "definitions" in which I have encountered an unbelievable amount of people who try to pass off their blatantly false pretenses as fact, and are slowly infecting others with their high-horse, holier-than-thou bull****. Because honestly, with your ridiculous definitions, Beethoven, George Gershwin, and Britney Spears are/was "emo bands."

Now, onto the real definition.

In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records a la Minor Threat, actually coined the term "Emo" as something of a put-down for the kids who really liked Rites Of Spring, Indian Summer and this new wave of "Emotive" Hardcore bands. That's right, "Emo" was once not something kids called themselves. The field exploded outwards from there - Level-Plane Records has always been the most famous Emo label. Acts like Yaphet Kotto, I Hate Myself, Saetia, Hot Cross, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, You And I, and hosts of others came in the next decade. Most emo bands have since broken up, but there's still the occasional hold-out (again, the majority of Level-Plane Records' roster has been a procession of emo acts). Like most DIY hardcore/punk of the time, a majority found its way onto vinyl and not much else. Some people consider bands like Fugazi, and later Sunny Day Real Estate, a progression of emo, but personally, I don't quite follow that philosophy.

Often, more recently, this gets intertwined with post-hardcore, and understandably so - that's nothing to make an issue of, since well ****, at least it's close.

Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided "Well, ****, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..." and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo."

Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bull****, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.

YvesSL
17-04-06, 16:20
LMFAO! No, thanks!

I love my style.

Ross
17-04-06, 16:24
yes they all look the damned same. what is the americans say? you have to be scene to be seen. pfft talk about lack of individuality!

Jacob x5
17-04-06, 16:25
It's all about everyone wanting to be the same and dropping each other into little 'categories'. I find it all very pathetic to be honest.

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-04-06, 16:27
yes they all look the damned same. what is the americans say? you have to be scene to be seen. pfft talk about lack of individuality!

These days, in this society where the 'music has taken the backseat to the hair styles', it's very unoriginal to be 'original'.

Celephais
17-04-06, 16:30
Teen angst sucks.

Ross
17-04-06, 16:37
It looks like a bad copy of the so called gothics.Isn't a group also called "screamo" or whatever?

goths have some originality at least!

YvesSL
17-04-06, 16:39
goths have some originality at least! Do you say that cause Lara is a goth in Legend?

Ross
17-04-06, 16:42
not at all.

Jacob x5
17-04-06, 16:43
goths have some originality at least!

Replace 'some' with 'no' and 'at least' with 'either'. :p

Geck-o-Lizard
17-04-06, 16:48
It's their decision to blend in. If they feel more comfortable being a part of a crowd, why should they change just because other people think they should be more original?

Jacob: You've never met a true goth in that case.

Ampersand
17-04-06, 16:49
Teen angst sucks.

Some people seem to thrive on it, though. :D

YvesSL
17-04-06, 16:52
http://www.aaronrules.com/uploaded_images/emo%20emu%20jared%20hindman-728648.jpg

Draco
17-04-06, 16:53
Sounds dumb to me.

xMyrax
17-04-06, 16:57
Ill cut my wrists for your eyes
Ill hit my head with a pan and wear a broken disguise
Ill stab myself for your heart
*screams*
WONT YOU UNLEASH THAT FAAART!!!

I mean come on they cut themselves for almost everything!

If my lawn was emo it would cut itself! :D

Paperdoll
17-04-06, 17:00
LMAO Myra :vlol: you can start your own emo band XD

I've only acknowledged emo's existence because of the internet, I've never seen any angsty emo's around here.

xMyrax
17-04-06, 17:03
LMAO Myra :vlol: you can start your own emo band XD

Ya mean it?! :D Ill start writing the "painful" lyrics at once! You'll do guitars and Ampersand will do drums, Kam will do bass, Mica will be the girl who cuts herself just incase I loose too much of my blood and Angel will draw the album cover! XD :D

Paperdoll
17-04-06, 17:03
That fits perfectly, I even own a guitar XD a rather crappy one but it will have to do :p let's all emo together XD

Ampersand
17-04-06, 17:05
Ya mean it?! :D Ill start writing the "painful" lyrics at once! You'll do guitars and Ampersand will do drums, Kam will do bass, Mica will be the girl who cuts herself just incase I loose too much of my blood and Angel will draw the album cover! XD :D

Who'll do the waily singing? I can't sing, shall I do it? :D

Paperdoll
17-04-06, 17:06
You can't sing? Perfect!!! XD Amp's our singer :jmp:

xMyrax
17-04-06, 17:07
That fits perfectly, I even own a guitar XD a rather crappy one but it will have to do :p let's all emo together XD

It dont matter! :p We'll create a new version of rock! Emocrap :D
If Kam or Amp dunno how to play their instruments...IMPROVISE! :yah:

I almost forgot xMiSsCrOfTx! She'll do backup singing and bring the knives! I prefer the really sharp ones that dig into your skin the moment they touch it, well, I hope they exsist anyway! :D

Amp - You'll do the screaming my dear! :D And do some backup singing too, we'll form...Emo choir! XD

YvesSL
Ew

_Mica_

:vlol::vlol::vlol:

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-04-06, 17:09
I almost forgot xMiSsCrOfTx! She'll do backup singing and bring the knives! I prefer the really sharp ones that dig into your skin the moment they touch it, well, I hope they exsist anyway! :D

Ohh, they exist... :mis: :yah:

xMyrax
17-04-06, 17:11
YvesSL - Dont ew us! :D We'll be no.1 on the charts and win MTV awards covered in crap! ^_^

Alyssa - Alrighty then get them at once! :D =P

Mica - Dont laugh my dear you'll have to loose the blood today :mis: Put it all in a jar before you die please! ^__^

:vlol: I'm enjoying this! I should stop 0_0;

YvesSL
17-04-06, 17:13
My sexy ass!

Geck-o-Lizard
17-04-06, 17:13
Grow up, people.

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-04-06, 17:14
My sexy ass!

:confused:

xMyrax
17-04-06, 17:17
My sexy ass!

Omgzers! You gots a sexy ass? :eek: I thought donkey's werent meant to be sexy 0_0 Is there a diffrence between an Ass of The Mountains and a Donkey anyway? =| :vlol:

Okay I'm leaving 0_0 *runs out of thread*

YvesSL
17-04-06, 17:25
Omgzers! You gots a sexy ass? :eek: I thought donkey's werent meant to be sexy 0_0 Is there a diffrence between an Ass of The Mountains and a Donkey anyway? =| :vlol:

Okay I'm leaving 0_0 *runs out of thread*
What?

Lew
17-04-06, 20:58
some emos are alright...

Belfastard
17-04-06, 21:06
Grow up, people.

:vlol:

Jacob x5
17-04-06, 21:31
some emos are alright...

We're not necessarily talking about the people themselves.

TrojanMan
17-04-06, 21:39
Play Kingdom Hearts. It is the deifition of emo. They should have named it Emo Hearts.

Lew
17-04-06, 22:12
We're not necessarily talking about the people themselves.

Yeah i know...........

RoseTyler
17-04-06, 22:16
Wow, Emo is the most stupid thing ever.

It's just something for attention.

My thoughts exactly.

A whiney, wrist-slicing, wannabe-goth.

Thorn
17-04-06, 22:16
Emo's are basically clones with no interesting personality right? :p

RoseTyler
17-04-06, 22:21

Yeah and a bad case of bi-polar disorder. :rolleyes: :p

tombraider123
17-04-06, 23:03
Screamo is another type of music, which I particularly can't stand.

Yeah i second that.

I also dislike Emo's, because they are just people who are always upset about something, never happy. And they do it all for the attention.

mekairinek
18-04-06, 00:59
Play Kingdom Hearts. It is the deifition of emo. They should have named it Emo Hearts.
Ohmaigah, that is SO true. Especially in the sequel, where they made Beast and Simba also *way* too emo.

Mxtt
18-04-06, 02:11
I wish my lawn was emo... so it'd cut itself. ;)

Hybrid Soldier
18-04-06, 02:16

Yeah, screamo music. Most of it is actually good.

I'm really sick of hearing the word "Emo". Just because it means emotional! Everyone is emotional at times, so everyone would be "emo".

RoseTyler
18-04-06, 02:18
I wish my lawn was emo... so it'd cut itself. ;)

:vlol:

average stalker
18-04-06, 02:34
every kind of music is emotional, because it expresses some type of emotion. whenever i hear "emo" i think of some 16 year old kid with his hair covering half his face crying in his room because his girlfriend of 3 weeks broke up with him.

tombraider_roxs
18-04-06, 03:34
Yeah i second that.

I also dislike Emo's, because they are just people who are always upset about something, never happy. And they do it all for the attention.

Not exactly.. I hate to disagree about that. But once even I was a depressed person, still am slightly. Some people who wear black clothes do it because they feel more comfortable in them, I didn't like jeans for the longest time.. but now I do love them and wear them constantly. Some people do it for the attention, but some don't. I know you most likely mean you dislike the typical emo person and not the individuals.. but still. It's always nice to realize some people are just wearing clothes they like, and which suits their style.. just like you wear your own style. :wve:

Genocide
18-04-06, 03:57
Everyone is a clone of someone else, don't matter what music you listen to...and not one of them has an interesting personality because they are all the same
(dont think im sticking up for emo's though, I have Long hair, wear Leather Jackets and listen to heavy metal rock music! i aint like them, their just....idiots)

Draco
18-04-06, 09:02
I am a clone of nobody.