PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista OFFICIAL requirments...

dark_angel_7
18-04-06, 12:12
You'd better get your PC's ready for Windows Vista because here are the official requirements :

Requirements
Windows Vista Capable PCs need to pass the current certification requirements for Designed for Windows XP logo. In addition, these PCs need the following combination of essential PC hardware for good overall Windows Vista performance:
• CPU — PC systems should have a modern CPU.
• RAM — PC systems should have 512MB of memory or more.
• GPU — PC systems should have a DirectX 9 class graphics processor.

Recommendations
Windows Vista offers significant improvements to the graphics user experience. To take advantage of these advances in the graphics user experience, graphics processor will need to support Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Graphics processors capable of supporting WDDM:
• Are designed to ensure that graphics user experience scales up with hardware capabilities.
• Offer improved graphic stability and performance.
• May be able to support additional desktop productivity features.

Windows Vista Capable PC systems would greatly benefit from a graphics processor that will support Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Therefore, WDDM support for GPU is a recommended criterion for Windows Vista Capable PCs.

Good, Better, Best Graphics experience when running Windows Vista

Windows Vista will scale with PC hardware capabilities. One of the features that scales with hardware is the desktop graphics experience. Therefore, it is possible to support multiple tiers of graphics user experience on Windows Vista Capable PCs based on hardware configuration.

Good — PC systems that meet the above requirements of a modern CPU, 512MB RAM and DirectX 9 class GPU should be able to offer a good experience, when upgraded to Windows Vista. They will offer a Windows XP comparable desktop graphics experience with regards to features, stability and performance.

Better — PCs that use a GPU with WDDM support would provide a better graphics experience - specifically enhanced graphics stability, multi-application performance and monitor hot-plugging - compared to Windows XP, when running any version of Windows Vista. Therefore, we strongly recommend procuring PC systems that include a GPU with WDDM support to get a better desktop graphics experience while running Windows Vista.

Best — PCs with appropriately configured graphics hardware, as described below, would support Windows Aero user experience that offers additional benefits of enhanced visual quality (glitch-free window redrawing), improved productivity (which includes real-time thumbnail previews, new 3-D task switching, interface scaling, etc.) and visual style (which includes translucent window frames and taskbar, enhanced transitional effects, etc.) when running premium versions of Windows Vista.

To enable Windows Aero, PC systems must meet the following criteria for graphics hardware, with either discrete or UMA solutions:
-DirectX 9 class graphics hardware that supports WDDM and Pixel Shader 2.0
-A minimum of 32 bits per pixel

Appropriate graphics memory for specified monitor resolutions expressed as total pixels (X dimension multiplied by Y dimension):
-64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolution of 1,310,720 pixels (equivalent to 1280 x 1024) or less
-128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 1,310,720 pixels and less than or equal to 2,304,000 pixels (equivalent to 1920 x 1200)
-256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels

Graphics memory bandwidth, as assessed by Windows Vista’s built in system assessment tool WinSAT.EXE, of at least 1,800MB/s at following resolution:
-Desktop PC: at a monitor resolution of 1,310,720 pixels (equivalent to 1280 x 1024)
-Mobile PC: at the native resolution of built-in display

Yes, its real lol.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx#EFB

So there you go. This is actually pretty old news so sorry if it's been posted before. Judging by the recommendations you're gonna need a powerful PC. At the moment my PC won't run it :(

Jack Croft
18-04-06, 12:18
Thankyou i like xp though :D

Raydai
18-04-06, 13:30
I'm going to switch to Vista when DirectX 10 hardware is showing up, right now I am very happy with XP. But I am not going to use that stupid Aero or transparant glass bars or whatever, every detail will be turned off, I don't want that crap eating my performance.

Budr
18-04-06, 14:48
I am not going to use that stupid Aero or transparant glass bars or whatever, every detail will be turned off, I don't want that crap eating my performance.

Exactly what I've been thinking. What an absolute waste of resources.

I reckon a wait of at least six months after release date is obligatory for any Microsoft product.

Night Crawler
18-04-06, 14:50
I don't know if I'm gonna bother with Vista.

Budr
18-04-06, 14:53
I don't know if I'm gonna bother with Vista.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp

dark_angel_7
18-04-06, 16:21
I love Vista and the Aero theme I'm certainly not gonna blick, unless I change my mind.

SeeJay
18-04-06, 17:52
I'm going to switch to Vista when DirectX 10 hardware is showing up, right now I am very happy with XP. But I am not going to use that stupid Aero or transparant glass bars or whatever, every detail will be turned off, I don't want that crap eating my performance.

well you can't really use the performance as a reason since Vista's interface, from what i've read, wont be eating the performance at all.
I have heard that many computer wont be able to handle the vista system but that has nothing to do with the performance, but with the lack of combability towards the new system.
As far as I understand the requirements for the interface itself will be to the extremly minimum.

I am sure eager towards the new system if they will provide what they promised about the section for gamers.

Geck-o-Lizard
18-04-06, 17:55
My current laptop should be up to the job, but if it isn't, I can live with XP. Saving for a new motherboard, graphics card, RAM and CPU to re-kit my currently weak desktop PC for the summer, so by then I should be sorted for the new Windows. I've got fairly high hopes of the new Windows; can't wait til it's released. :D

Anubis_AF
18-04-06, 17:59
What's Windows Vista? Windows such as Millenium or XP?

SeeJay
18-04-06, 18:01
yep.. its a new one..

bigger and better as always :tea:

nah but they made public that this would be a system that gamers would love..
Not sure in what way but anything is better than what we have now.. nothing! :mad:

here you have some easy info.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/p-4.html

HollabackBoy
18-04-06, 18:29
I'm going to switch to Vista when DirectX 10 hardware is showing up

Agreed. :tmb:

P.S. Nice avatar, SeeJay. :p :D

SeeJay
19-04-06, 11:43
bah I figured someone took the picture before me..
but well.. it was too good looking to not to chose.. :jmp: