PDA

View Full Version : H. P. Lovecraft

Geck-o-Lizard
18-04-06, 19:58
That's the name you always see spouted out in high-class magazines' movie review sections when they're describing dark or mature fantasy/horror movies, but that most of us has never actually experienced the works of.

I've known about him for years but only a couple of days ago actually read anything, and now he's one of my favourite writers. Lots of very dark stuff in a lot of his poems and short stories, but all brilliantly written (if old-fashioned in style now... he was writing in the early 20th century).

Anyone else here like Lovecraft's work?

laracroft2122
18-04-06, 20:00
I dunno???:con:

Elysia
18-04-06, 20:02
*points to avatar*

He is the undisputed MASTER (in my world, anyway... ;) ).

My favourite stories are 'At the Mountains of Madness', 'The Dreams in the Witch House', 'The Dunwich Horror', 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth', 'The Horror at Red Hook', 'The Rats in the Walls'... actually, I could go on and on, because each time I look at the contents of my many Lovecraft compendiums, I see more stories I like!

*Definitely* rooting for a Lovecraft inspired TR story.. Lara vs. the Great Old Ones?!? Oh yesh!

laracroft2122
18-04-06, 20:04
Oh that lovecraft like er....i really have to think about thi....YES!!!!!!!

Mona Sax
18-04-06, 20:06
I've never read Lovecraft, but I like gothic/Victorian horror stories. You know, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Franz Kafka, E.T.A. Hoffmann, Robert Louis Stevenson and the like.

Geck-o-Lizard
18-04-06, 20:09
Oh that lovecraft like er....i really have to think about thi....YES!!!!!!!

:p

Elysia: I'll have to go read your suggestions. He's written so much it'll take me a while to get through most of it. :D Also, do you know if Lovecraft wrote any full-length novels or if he was mainly focused on short stories and poetry? I'll be making some trips to the town Library tomorrow, methinks, and I don't want to miss anything good.

And hell yeah to Lovecraft TR! I think that would be the kick-up-the-ass that CD needs to get a great storyline rolling for TR8; Legend's was nice, but weak. I get the feeling that AoD was an attempt at Lovecraft-inspired raiding, but it really didn't work too well.

Mona: I think you'll adore Lovecraft then. Sounds like just your thing. Give it a read and you might be able to make that list longer. :D

Elysia
18-04-06, 20:11
I've never read Lovecraft, but I like gothic/Victorian horror stories. You know, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Franz Kafka, E.T.A. Hoffmann, Robert Louis Stevenson and the like.
Lovecraft seems like a natural progression for you, then! I say give him a go (but then I am horribly, horribly biased) - some like his 'dabbling in ancient mystical knowledge and exploration of the chaos beyond time' whilst others find it confusing and over- complicated.

However, fan or not, the running jokes about cuttlefish do have their credence! (Lovecraft was mortally afraid of the sea, so all of his 'monsters' tend to come from the ocean and have tentacles of some sort. It is a source of much amusement for fans!)

Btw - This (http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/vault00-cast.html) is probably the *finest* Lovecraft based webcomic in existence. Far, far too funny... :vlol:

Catlantean
18-04-06, 20:13
Lovecraft is to horror what Tolkien is to fantasy, and I'm a great fan of his work :tmb: It's really hard for me to pick a favourite among his stories, never read one that I didn't adore to bits...maybe "Re-Animator", the first ever zombie horror story. But I also love the whole Cthulhu mythos, it's one of the most original and frightening ideas ever devised :tmb:

@ Geck: As far as I know, all his stories are relatively short. The longest I read so far was "At the Mountains of Madness", at around 100 pages.

Also, this site (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/) has most of his stories for download. A must-bookmark for every H. P. Lovecraft fan!

Geck-o-Lizard
18-04-06, 20:17
Btw - This (http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/vault00-cast.html) is probably the *finest* Lovecraft based webcomic in existence. Far, far too funny... :vlol:

That's brilliant! *adds to regular webcomics bookmarks* Thanks. :D

Zombies? *off to read Re-Animator* :D
Haha, with all this stuff to choose from I feel like a little goth in a big gothic sweetshop. :o

Elysia
18-04-06, 20:17

Elysia: I'll have to go read your suggestions. He's written so much it'll take me a while to get through most of it. :D Also, do you know if Lovecraft wrote any full-length novels or if he was mainly focused on short stories and poetry? I'll be making some trips to the town Library tomorrow, methinks, and I don't want to miss anything good.

And hell yeah to Lovecraft TR! I think that would be the kick-up-the-ass that CD needs to get a great storyline rolling for TR8; Legend's was nice, but weak. I get the feeling that AoD was an attempt at Lovecraft-inspired raiding, but it really didn't work too well.

Mona: I think you'll adore Lovecraft then. Sounds like just your thing. Give it a read and you might be able to make that list longer. :D
He mainly concentrated on short stories - his longer stories can be found in This omnibus (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0586063226/qid=1145391192/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/026-3803064-5777244). The other two omnibuses (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0586063242/qid=1145391192/sr=8-5/ref=pd_ka_5/026-3803064-5777244) are Well worth getting (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0586063234/qid=1145391192/sr=8-4/ref=pd_ka_4/026-3803064-5777244) too. I have other Lovecraft books, but these three volumes encompass all his best stories... and there are literally shedloads there!

As for the TR storyline getting Lovecraft-ish - oh, happy days, i've met someone who can see some parallels! I've always thought that the whole ' forbidden ancient knowledge' area of TR fit into Lovecrafts world quite well. And considering the Elder God in the LoK games is positively Cthulhu-esque, I can only hope!

Airave
18-04-06, 20:19
I read most all of his works- maaaany years ago.
His influences on my adolescent mind surely haa
a lot to do with who I am today. Same with Tolkien.
And in later years TR. Mars Chronicles and so many more...

meansizzler
18-04-06, 20:20
Didn't he do Call of Cthulhu?, which they made into a game on the xbox?...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/callofcthulhu/

Elysia
18-04-06, 20:21
Didn't he do Call of Cthulhu?, which they made into a game on the xbox?...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/callofcthulhu/
They did.. never played it, though. The Alone in the Dark games are all based on the Cthulhu Mythos, too.

Roleplayed Cthulhu a few times, though! Too funny...

Anubis_AF
18-04-06, 20:22
Thanks for the link Cat :)
I absolutely love horror/zombies/gothic stories. I'm sure I'll enjoy this :jmp:
Which would you recommend?

Ampersand
18-04-06, 20:27
I've never read any Lovecraft books, but I've heard the name bandied about a lot. Judging by the enthusiasm here I suppose I'll have to try one of his books. :)

Catlantean
18-04-06, 20:40
Thanks for the link Cat :)
I absolutely love horror/zombies/gothic stories. I'm sure I'll enjoy this :jmp:
Which would you recommend?

First of all, "Call of Cthulhu". It's a classic :tmb: I also recommend "Re-Animator", "The Dunwich Horror", "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", "The Colour Out of Space", "At the Mountains of Madness" to name the first few I can think of. But you can't go wrong with any of them :D

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-04-06, 20:40
And hell yeah to Lovecraft TR! I think that would be the kick-up-the-ass that CD needs to get a great storyline rolling for TR8

OMG :D :tmb:

I love any Gothic/Horror/Romance stories, I'll have to check out Lovecraft.

Elysia
18-04-06, 20:55
First of all, "Call of Cthulhu". It's a classic :tmb: I also recommend "Re-Animator", "The Dunwich Horror", "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", "The Colour Out of Space", "At the Mountains of Madness" to name the first few I can think of. But you can't go wrong with any of them :D
Add in 'Dreams in the Witchhouse' and 'the Horror at Red Hook' to that little list and you can't go wrong! :tmb:

Maureen Errant
19-04-06, 06:18
Lovecraft is to horror what Tolkien is to fantasy, and I'm a great fan of his work :tmb: It's really hard for me to pick a favourite among his stories, never read one that I didn't adore to bits...maybe "Re-Animator", the first ever zombie horror story. But I also love the whole Cthulhu mythos, it's one of the most original and frightening ideas ever devised :tmb:

@ Geck: As far as I know, all his stories are relatively short. The longest I read so far was "At the Mountains of Madness", at around 100 pages.

Also, this site (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/) has most of his stories for download. A must-bookmark for every H. P. Lovecraft fan!

O.M.G. Thank you Cat........................*immediate bookmark*...............going to be busy re-reading some old favorites.
Never knew what he looked like.......looks like such a mild chap.....;)

Paperdoll
19-04-06, 11:33
O_O and to think that I was about to start a thread to get some recommendations about Lovecraft XD

Anubis_AF
19-04-06, 18:22

Mona Sax
19-04-06, 20:01
Just read Call of Cthulhu. Pretty good! :tmb:

Budr
19-04-06, 21:15
Caught the Call of Cthulhu film last year, not usually a huge silent film fan but I was very impressed.

Pipolinne
20-04-06, 18:51

Gecko,though I respect your taste, I tremble imagining Lara going on a Lovecraft environment! TR is an adventure game,not a terror/horror one and I simply don't understand what sort of pleasure we may take by playing a concentration camp like atmosphere,like the ones from Aod's Sanitarium and MCA!Personally,I wouldn't buy a game based in Lovecraft's work,because I like feeling I didn't spent 70 euros in order to be afraid ( AOD was my first gaming experience,I didn't know the plot that well)!
But,to each one,his/her cup of tea. Well,I wouldn't like if,suddenly, a Tolkienish fever attacked CD,lol,too,and I'm already trembling slightly thinking about Lara's mother as an Avalon pristess :rolleyes:.

A bit off-topic :D: Lovecraft is for horror in the same way Marvyn Peake is for Fantasy. I think this is a better comparison than the one made with Tolkien.