PDA

View Full Version : Biggest frights??!

GHERSELF
19-04-06, 23:33
What are some of the biggest frights you guys have ever gotten on a tomb raider (or other??) game?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I found TR2 came with plenty!
On one of the snow levels I dropped down a hole and there was a yeti right there to greet me. Scared the pants off me. I remember my friend and I were both playing and we screamed. My parents rushed in to check we were okay.

hahaha.

Fun times.
There was also that door opening loading screen in Resident Evil 2 where instead of the normal black backdrop behind the door all these zombies poured out. I'm pretty sure I nearly cried it scared me that much.

What about you guys??
Don't tell me I'm the only one that gets frights!!!

xMiSsCrOfTx
19-04-06, 23:35
Sure I've been frightened during a game before! Mainly during horror/survival games like Silent Hill, Clock Tower and Fatal Frame, but there were many other instances in Tomb Raider and other games too.

ace_85
19-04-06, 23:38
I don't generally scare very easily, but the first time I ever played through Silent Hill 3 it was from behind the sofa :D

Geck-o-Lizard
19-04-06, 23:43
Thief 3 - Shalebridge Cradle level near the end of the game.

The atmosphere was so oppressive and menacing that that alone was making me freak out about even turning and seeing my own shadow on the ground. So in the middle of the level - after a long stretch of totally empty exploration of the abandoned asylum - I literally jumped half a foot in the air when I saw a puppet (special zombie - metal cage over his head and hands, stained grey pyjama style clothes, jerky and un-natural movement even for a zombie - masterfully designed horror) of one of the old asylum inmates shuffling through one of the dark hallways.

I saved and turned the game off and sat shaking for about fifteen minutes afterwards; couldn't play the level for longer than about thirty seconds at a time after that, and couldn't stand to have the sound on at all while playing. :eek:

Genocide
19-04-06, 23:43
The original tomb raider made me jump on the 1st level, at the end, when the music starts, and the wolf jumps out.
And the original Resident Evil, when the dogs jump through the window
other than that, SH2 made me **** my pants...more than once

xMiSsCrOfTx
19-04-06, 23:44
Whoa, Geck, that sounds really scary!!! :yik:

Paperdoll
19-04-06, 23:46
Sure I've been frightened during a game before! Mainly during horror/survival games like Silent Hill, Clock Tower and Fatal Frame, but there were many other instances in Tomb Raider and other games too.

Haven't played many survival horror games, but Clock Tower makes me look behind my back while I'm playing it, even during day time.

Alone in the Dark freaked me out too and I'd still love to play Silent Hill

RoseTyler
19-04-06, 23:47
Most of my frights happened on TR2 I think...

Like most people I almost crapped myself when the T-Rex jumped out in TR1 :p Then in TR2 the men with big sticks kept jumping out and scaring me :eek:

I'm also terrified of any underwater creatures in TR games, especially sharks!

GHERSELF
20-04-06, 00:03
On that level in AOD where you play Kurtis and those weird bandaged guys are running around I think I turned the sound off and put some music on instead, you know, to take the edge off. haha.
Seriously Geck, you have put me off EVER playing Thief 3. I don't need that in my life!

I remember watching one of my friend's brothers play Alone in the Dark when I was about 5 or something. Terrified me.
I also didn't like watching my dad play King's Quest 5 when I was a kid - that scared me too! lol

Geck-o-Lizard
20-04-06, 00:06
Seriously Geck, you have put me off EVER playing Thief 3. I don't need that in my life!

Play it. Play it, play it, play it. Get a friend to play through the Shalebridge Cradle level for you. :D

Jacob x5
20-04-06, 00:38
In 'Angel of Darkness' there is a certain enemy who appears to 'go inside itself'. It's difficult to explain but I think it's a common error. I have no idea what level it was in, but it scared the hell out of me.

Nephili
20-04-06, 00:40
I jumped on Legend lmao, on Bolivia, running round a corner to find a Jaguar leaping at me, i was like, "WOA That wasnt in the demo!" After retrieving my controller from where it had landed on the other side of the room :D

ILG49ers
20-04-06, 00:42
I've jumped so many times from the Tomb Raider games. Mainly from the big spiders in TR2. I hate spiders!

DREWY
20-04-06, 00:48
Mine happened today but it wasn't during a game. Comming into work it was a bit glarey so I put down my sun-visor. A bloody huge huntsman (spider around 100mm or 4") dropped into my lap! http://www.smileypad.com/artists/fool/emoticons/pauk.gif My heart hasn't pumped so fast. I normally don't mind spiders but I wasn't expecting this. :cen:

Neteru
20-04-06, 00:55
:yik: I think I would have died.

Nephili
20-04-06, 01:15
Mine happened today but it wasn't during a game. Comming into work it was a bit glarey so I put down my sun-visor. A bloody huge huntsman (spider around 100mm or 4") dropped into my lap! http://www.smileypad.com/artists/fool/emoticons/pauk.gif My heart hasn't pumped so fast. I normally don't mind spiders but I wasn't expecting this. :cen:

EW! I would have been so scared lmao!

ILG49ers
20-04-06, 01:21

:eek: I really hate spiders! That would have freaked me out!:D

Jacob x5
20-04-06, 01:22

Now that would've scared me to death! :yik: :yik: :yik:

Geck-o-Lizard
20-04-06, 01:23
Spider probably got a bigger fright than you did! Imagine, you're snoozing in your bed and suddenly someone a few thousand times bigger than you tips you out your bed and into his lap, jumps in fright, and flings you away. :cln:

average stalker
20-04-06, 01:30
the Resident Evil games and TR2 come to mind with stuff surprising me. i remember on RE2 when i was in a room using a liter to get something then the huge dude just smashed through the wall. then after you go back in the hallway it attacks again. also on RE2 when you're in a room and then a licker jumps through the window.

Ross
20-04-06, 01:36
i had played the TRL demo many times. when i played the full game, i did not expect there to be leopards on the 1st level! that sure made me jump, just dashing thru the level and get attacked by a leopard!

Belfastard
20-04-06, 01:50
Play it. Play it, play it, play it. Get a friend to play through the Shalebridge Cradle level for you. :D

You sexy minx!

BTW, GHERSELF I don't understand; you have been a member since Nov. 2003 and you have only had 14 posts?! :vlol:

DREWY
20-04-06, 01:58
BTW, GHERSELF I don't understand; you have been a member since Nov. 2003 and you have only had 14 posts?! :vlol:

Obviously believes in quality, not quantity. Sometimes less is more...

Belfastard
20-04-06, 02:04
Obviously believes in quality, not quantity. Sometimes less is more...

I think it's cool that some one who joined in 2003 has only 14 posts. It looks VERY original and stands out more. :)

GHERSELF
20-04-06, 03:43
hahaha yeah, I guess I must have joined in '03 just after I got AOD.
But I forgot that I'd joined so when I found this site again the other day (after I got Legend) and discovered that it automatically logged me in I was very excited!
But naturally, quality over quantity too.

I just thought of something that gave me a few frights in Legend. In another game (either AOD or POP, whichever I played last) the R2 button is what you press to pull a box or object. In Legend I kept pressing R2 when I wanted to pull something, which made Lara fire off a round or two.
Especially when I was in a quiet area and not expecting it to happen it gave me quite a start!

Kamrusepas
20-04-06, 03:45
Alone in the Dark freaked me out too ...

Same here :D

CerebralAssassin
20-04-06, 06:27
I can go on and on for days about scary stuff,wow..ok,umm,there was this scary scene in RE3 that literally scared the holy :cen: out of me..I remember it like it was yesterday..(5 years ago) my friend was playing RE3 and I was watching..he was at the police station and was walking down the stairs to get to the first floor when all of a sudden Nemesis comes crashing through a window..I'm not kidding here,me,my friend and his brother,all 3 of us jumped up and ran out of the house!:eek: :yik: I'll never forget that moment.other that that,some scenes in Silent Hill 4 were pretty scary..like those ghosts in the apartment building level..those weird buzzing noises they made a few seconds before appearing was really creepy 'cause I knew they were coming but didn't know from which direction..and that drove me crazy:hea: As far as TR goes..not as scary as the previous 2 but pretty scary in some cases..for example the T-rex in TR1 and TR3,the rolling boulders,the raptors on crash site,etc..

gazhammer
20-04-06, 06:59
What are some of the biggest frights you guys have ever gotten on a tomb raider (or other??) game?

On one of the snow levels I dropped down a hole and there was a yeti right there to greet me. Scared the pants off me. I remember my friend and I were both playing and we screamed. My parents rushed in to check we were okay.

hahaha.

Fun times.
There was also that door opening loading screen in Resident Evil 2 where instead of the normal black backdrop behind the door all these zombies poured out. I'm pretty sure I nearly cried it scared me that much.

What about you guys??

This is embarrasing but i'll share it with you anyway. When i first played Res Evil, remember the bit where the cerberus's smash through the window?, well i screamed like a girl and threw the joypad up in the air:yik:. What made it worse was my brother and a mate were playing the game with me and still take the **** to this day.:rolleyes:

It gets worse, my turn at the controls on TRL and i didnt see the big cat until it was right on top of me(literally) and i went through the same routine, girly scream and controller in the air... laugh?, the guys nearly shat themselves!.:hea:

ace_85
20-04-06, 08:01
This is embarrasing but i'll share it with you anyway. When i first played Res Evil, remember the bit where the cerberus's smash through the window?, well i screamed like a girl and threw the joypad up in the air:yik:. What made it worse was my brother and a mate were playing the game with me and still take the **** to this day.:rolleyes:

It gets worse, my turn at the controls on TRL and i didnt see the big cat until it was right on top of me(literally) and i went through the same routine, girly scream and controller in the air... laugh?, the guys nearly shat themselves!.:hea:
:vlol::vlol:LOL, this story had me in stitches Gazhammer! I too was caught screaming in a girly fashion by my mates, but it was due to going down a very steep flume at a water park. The ridicule from my friends is also ongoing, and this was about 5 years ago! :D

SeeJay
20-04-06, 08:07
hmm this is pretty embarassing but I'll tell it anyway.
It was way back when I was playing Tomb Raider Legend.
I had just wielded excalibur in Nepal and was on my way out of the temple.

Then something came rushing by me, and I freaked out thinking it was a ghost!!:yik:
Almost messed up my pants!

When I turned back and took a look it turned out I got spooked by my very own shadow. :tea:

http://student.gamemaker.nu/~chrjoh050/hihihii2.jpg

Thorir
20-04-06, 08:26
Silent Hill 2 is damn, damn scary. Haven't played it in years, I have to be in a certain mood before I can play games like that. Fatal Frame 1 (Project Zero in Europe) is also incredibly frightning! I still have nightmares!

BlackGrey
20-04-06, 08:48
A wasp or a fly flew into my face today whilst wallking to work and i took of my hoddie straight away in case it had gone in :p Scary experience, all that buzzing and it hitting you face... *shivers*

gazhammer
20-04-06, 09:06
:vlol::vlol:LOL, this story had me in stitches Gazhammer! I too was caught screaming in a girly fashion by my mates, but it was due to going down a very steep flume at a water park. The ridicule from my friends is also ongoing, and this was about 5 years ago! :D

I dont do Theme Park Rides:yik:

I used to but, i have become such a coward in my old age:rolleyes: :D

Greenkey2
20-04-06, 09:43
Doom, Doom II, Doom III, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny.

Need I say more? :rolleyes:

GHERSELF
20-04-06, 09:48
hahaha seejay that is hilarious

Belfastard
20-04-06, 10:28
Silent Hill 2 is damn, damn scary. Haven't played it in years, I have to be in a certain mood before I can play games like that. Fatal Frame 1 (Project Zero in Europe) is also incredibly frightning! I still have nightmares!

Yes, these 2 games are horrible to play in the dark. What about Silent Hill 1? The bit @ the start were you HAVE to die because it's a dream? 1st time I played that and I didn't know it was a dream, I turned off my PS, lol. I couldn't cope. :D

It's funny; I can watch disturbing horror movies ALL night, yet when I go to play such games as Silent Hill 1, 2 or Project Zero, I'm a nervous wreck! :(

Ross
20-04-06, 11:25
i remember on Resi 2 when you are in the corridor, if you get too close to the windows the zombies reaach in to get you! that made me jump at times!

Paperdoll
20-04-06, 11:36
Yes, these 2 games are horrible to play in the dark. What about Silent Hill 1? The bit @ the start were you HAVE to die because it's a dream? 1st time I played that and I didn't know it was a dream, I turned off my PS, lol. I couldn't cope. :D

It's funny; I can watch disturbing horror movies ALL night, yet when I go to play such games as Silent Hill 1, 2 or Project Zero, I'm a nervous wreck! :(

I guess it's normal, you get more involved and concentrated in the game. And, at least in my case, my desk chair makes me have my back turned to the door... so I always keep looking over my shoulder XD

I forbid my brother of playing Resident Evil 2. The whole atmosphere is too tense and unnerving and it freaked me out. Too bad it doesn't stay like that after I turn off the game. So far, only older and simpler games have scared the **** out of me XD :p

Eleanna123
20-04-06, 11:39
I don't generally scare very easily, but the first time I ever played through Silent Hill 3 it was from behind the sofa :D

Silent Hill 3:yik:
That is the creepiest one for me.
Remember the mannequin room? Where you go in, go around a corner and suddenly you hear this blood freezing scream and you look around and one of the mannequin dolls has it's head cut off and there's blood. But there was nobody there to do it? OMG :( *whimpers* *cries* *joins ace_85 behind the sofa*

Belfastard
20-04-06, 11:45
So far, only older and simpler games have scared the **** out of me XD :p

This is VERY true. I'm exactly the same. I don't know why. Resident Evil 2 WAS really scary. So was the one with the nemesis. Jesus, he just kept jumping out of nowhere scaring the :cen: out of me! :mad:

ace_85
20-04-06, 13:44
Silent Hill 3:yik:
That is the creepiest one for me.
Remember the mannequin room? Where you go in, go around a corner and suddenly you hear this blood freezing scream and you look around and one of the mannequin dolls has it's head cut off and there's blood. But there was nobody there to do it? OMG :( *whimpers* *cries* *joins ace_85 behind the sofa*
Yeah, that bit gave me a heart attack! I especially hated the section after you got off the train and headed down the stairs into the sewers. The walls started changing into this weird skin-type texture as you walked and it turned pitch black :yik: That was enough for me that night, I waited till next morning before I played it again! The 'dark' version of the hospital was very scary too...

SkyGirl
20-04-06, 13:58
Sillent hill...that stupid school level and the last levels in the hospital. Silent hill the Room..errr
Also the old mill level in tomb raider chronicles :p

Eleanna123
20-04-06, 14:10
Yeah, that bit gave me a heart attack! I especially hated the section after you got off the train and headed down the stairs into the sewers. The walls started changing into this weird skin-type texture as you walked and it turned pitch black :yik: That was enough for me that night, I waited till next morning before I played it again! The 'dark' version of the hospital was very scary too...

The subway scared the crap out of me too ;)
All those notes about someone who commit suicide brrrr creepy.
And yes the school in Silent Hill 1 was very disturbing, I only felt a bit better when the siren rang at the end of the boss and there were normal walls and light (no more darkness, monsters, rusty walls and gratings) and you could get out :D

Genocide
20-04-06, 14:26
The worst part of any SH game has to be at the very begining of the first...and its that wheel chair with the spinning wheel, that creeps me out everytime

Eleanna123
20-04-06, 16:38
The worst part of any SH game has to be at the very begining of the first...and its that wheel chair with the spinning wheel, that creeps me out everytime

And that hanging body :yik:

TombRaiderLover
20-04-06, 16:50

OMG!!!! Clock Tower flashback:

*TombRaiderLover, as a five-year-old, watches his older brother playing the game. Everything is calm, when a chandelier falls and an old man is squashed. A man with huge scissors emerges from the shadows. TombRaiderLover screams with terror and fails to sleep that night.*

I hated the zombie dogs jumping through the window in Resident Evil 1!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And those dinosaurs in the TR games!

Some video games are terrifying!

GHERSELF
21-04-06, 00:33
I have never played Silent Hill, and I'm sure as hell not about to start.
How traumatising.
Actually, I saw the trailer for the movie the other day - NO THANK YOU.

Enchantress
21-04-06, 00:39

hahaha.

Fun times.

What about you guys??

Ya the only way I beat the dragon was when the game glitched and his head was stuck in the wall blowing fire out of his stomick

Genocide
21-04-06, 00:53
And that hanging body :yik:
i completely forgot about that! i also dont like the scene near the end, where Lisa finds out she's dead and starts bleeding, i felt so sorry for her, yet i was too damn scared to go back in the room and check her body (which i discovered wasnt there) incase she attacked me!

Lara Croft!
21-04-06, 01:05
Sillent hill...that stupid school level and the last levels in the hospital. Silent hill the Room..errr
Also the old mill level in tomb raider chronicles :p

Yep!I'm with u on those......:eek: :yik: :yik: