PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Next Gen PC Gaming "Crysis"

wonderboy
20-04-06, 19:12
First of all this is not an advertisment LOL. I'm just excited and wanted to share some info with all you wonderful people... most of you. :-P

As some of you may already know, one of the most anticipated Next Gen PC games for 2006/2007 is Crysis. For those of you who are not aware, first of all, shame on you, and second of all read on!

It's a first person shooter game with AMAZING graphics, physics, gameplay, and new technology. Here are some screenshots. All in game I might add.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/108/931665_20060418_screen019.jpg

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/108/931665_20060418_screen015.jpg

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/108/931665_20060418_screen012.jpg

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/108/931665_20060418_screen010.jpg

now some interesting new technology! All the trees, environments and even dust is in real time and interactive. All the leaves brush up agains you as you move, you can knock trees down by shooting them to recreate your arena, even dusts of clouds swirl to the brush air that interacts with them when you run through it. BAHHHH SO AMAZING.

BlackGrey
20-04-06, 19:15
Theres just one missing element.

wonderboy
20-04-06, 19:16
Who knows? Maybe Lara will be shooting down trees in TR8. Oh and another thing!! It has real time ambient lighting and showdowing that is affected by just about everything!

BlackGrey
20-04-06, 19:17
No no i meant feet. Missing element in all FPS' is feet.

wonderboy
20-04-06, 19:19
LOL... that too i guess

check out this amazing demo reel

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/media.html

interstellardave
20-04-06, 19:22
Truly amazing! XBox 360 and PS3 versions are not being worked on... but, being published by EA means there's always a chance!

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:27
Dude, no i did not see this before. Thank you very much! This is looking very realistic.
Not sure if 'realistic' makes a good game though...

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:28
No no i meant feet. Missing element in all FPS' is feet.LOL! :D True! :)

jarhead
20-04-06, 19:29
looks very nice indeed but i am in love with perfect dark zero ATM.

BlackGrey
20-04-06, 19:32
LOL! :D True! :)

Its what annoys me in the gaming world that every tom, dick and harry in game development thinks graphics are the way forward (Except Nintendo :tmb:) , how about amping the gameplay up a notch :p

wonderboy
20-04-06, 19:34
I really think introducing a true physics system like Crysis has will revoultionize gameplay... I got to watch a demo of it at the office last week and there was a soilder who ran and set the forest on fire and the rest of the level was played out in a forest fire... i'd say that's a pretty big step forward. This wasn't a preprogramed event either

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:35
I'm in love with Legend these days. I so much love the art quality over it!
In the screenshots above i miss that, it looks photo-realistic. Which misses something crucial... but ok they're only screenshots. :)

BlackGrey
20-04-06, 19:36
Oh :yik: Really? That is incredible, gonna think before i speak now :D

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:37
Its what annoys me in the gaming world that every tom, dick and harry in game development thinks graphics are the way forward (Except Nintendo :tmb:) , how about amping the gameplay up a notch :pHey but we all want smooth gameplay (i mean the result on screen while playing) at high resolution (how about 1600x1200) with all nice settings to max, because then the graphics are in full glory!

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:39
But i agree with you if you mean that many people erratically think that photo-realism is the most beautifull because it isn't.

wonderboy
20-04-06, 19:41
it's definately a decision that they have to make, whether to go photorealistic or take a more obvious art approach ie. TR vs. Splinter Cell. In the end I think that i really boils down to the game itself and what's appropriate.

Jacob x5
20-04-06, 19:44
Oh my word! :eek: :eek: :eek: They are the most amazing graphics I have ever seen in a game. Any better and it might as well be a real photograph.

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:45
But Splinter Cell is very arty too. :) With arty i mean: the designer chooses what he wants to show, and simplifies the rest. That is a basis in all art. Photorealism would show ALL details with equal attention just like a camera. Which is NOT the way people look at reality. The human view to the surroundings is always 'selective'. That is why a simple cartoon can feel much more realistic over a photo. Expression is the clue.

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:46
Oh my word! :eek: :eek: :eek: They are the most amazing graphics I have ever seen in a game. Any better and it might as well be a real photograph.See? That is the mistake i was just talking about. :D "Real photograph"... a photo is far from real.

wonderboy
20-04-06, 19:46
That's true but put lara and sam next to each other and you will see that lara has these obviouse doe eyes and huge lips where sam is more leaning more towards a realistic person.

Mona Sax
20-04-06, 19:48
Looks very nice, but I think I'm gonna play a demo before buying it. Far Cry was beautiful too, but then the actual gameplay sucked - weak checkpoint system and overly persistent enemies. I mean, unloading a full clip into a mutant's head and then seeing it strike you down with a single hit is just frustrating.

Joseph
20-04-06, 19:53
OKayyy.. download was just ready, and saw it. Very short, but indeed that's impressive! Crytek going further in their high quality! :tmb:

Jacob x5
20-04-06, 20:32
But Splinter Cell is very arty too. :) With arty i mean: the designer chooses what he wants to show, and simplifies the rest. That is a basis in all art. Photorealism would show ALL details with equal attention just like a camera. Which is NOT the way people look at reality. The human view to the surroundings is always 'selective'. That is why a simple cartoon can feel much more realistic over a photo. Expression is the clue.

That's a very, very good point, Joseph. :tmb:

wonderboy
20-04-06, 20:55
yeah joseph that trailer is pretty damn good. The music reminds me so much of the Tomb Raider movies