PDA

View Full Version : V For Vendetta an Orwell rip-off?

tlr online
20-04-06, 21:43
Smacks of 1984 littered throughout the movie. Only thing missing is the telescreens.

JACOBryanBURNS
20-04-06, 21:44
YOU THOUGHT SO TOO?! Ugh.

Timy226
20-04-06, 21:45
Orwell, can someone elaborate.

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-04-06, 21:46
Orwell, can someone elaborate.

George Orwell, the author. He wrote 1984 and Animal Farm. I haven't seen V For Vendetta yet, but when I do, I'll keep my eye open for those 'smacks'.

stereopathic
20-04-06, 22:20
being orwellian doesn't make it a rip-off.

Pipolinne
20-04-06, 22:22
Smacks of 1984 littered throughout the movie. Only thing missing is the telescreens.

And perhaps the quality,the imagination, the message,etc were missing,too.

GHERSELF
21-04-06, 00:29
it was orwellian but I still really enjoyed it

GodOfLight
21-04-06, 00:33
of course it was 'orwellian'.... but it was also so much more then that. if that's all people saw in this film it went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over their heads :whi:

Enchantress
21-04-06, 00:47
UM never saw it never wanted to and never will want to.

GodOfLight
21-04-06, 00:48
UM never saw it never wanted to and never will want to.

your loss :ton: it really is a great film

Geck-o-Lizard
21-04-06, 00:51
I'm planning on seeing it sometime soon but I already knew it was an Orwell-inspired movie by the description. Here's hoping it's good fun because it's never going to manage to be as powerful as 1984.

Enchantress
21-04-06, 00:51
your loss :ton: it really is a great film

Why? was it worth it or something? my bf wanted to see it. IDK Should I?????

stereopathic
21-04-06, 00:53
like GoL said, it's a great film. go see it.

tlr online
21-04-06, 00:53
It's not the first time the Wachowski Bros have "borrowed" an idea. Matrix was the last example, heavily based on a Japanese animation short with quite stark similarities.

Have a read of this (http://www.filmrot.com/articles/news/005423.php).

GodOfLight
21-04-06, 00:54
Why? was it worth it or something? my bf wanted to see it. IDK Should I?????

well sweetie, i don't know what your taste in films is... you may hate it or love it... depends on you. youll never know though if you dont watch it ;) and since your bf wants to anyway, id say thats a perfect excuse to go see it :D

GodOfLight
21-04-06, 00:57
It's not the first time the Wakowski Bros have "borrowed" an idea. Matrix was the last example, heavily based on a Japanese animation short with quite stark similarities.

Have a read of this (http://www.filmrot.com/articles/news/005423.php).

EVERYTHING in this universe is about borrowing an idea :wve: and film is no exception. as the saying goes: theres nothing new under the sun.

course, v for vendetta is faaar from orginal.. content wise or filmic wise. youve got orwell in there, a 9/11 comentary, a lucifer fall from heaven theme, and so much more.... of course all the themes and ideas are old and reused, but its nice to be reminded of theme again.

as lara say: it's all part of the mono-myth :ton:

Enchantress
21-04-06, 00:57
well sweetie, i don't know what your taste in films is... you may hate it or love it... depends on you. youll never know though if you dont watch it ;) and since your bf wants to anyway, id say thats a perfect excuse to go see it :D

Mabie but I don't know he's been treating me like total crap lately. I think he's stressed or something, but he is usually good to me. My taste in movies is Tomb Raider, Saw, Scary movie3 and 4, Pirates, scorpion king. and a lot more action packed movies

GodOfLight
21-04-06, 00:59
Mabie but I don't know he's been treating me like total crap lately. I think he's stressed or something, but he is usually good to me. My taste in movies is Tomb Raider, Saw, Scary movie3 and 4, Pirates, scorpion king. and a lot more action packed movies

well, v for vendetta is very philosophical... so if that would bore you i dont know.

but youd certainly LOVE the action :jmp:

Enchantress
21-04-06, 01:01
well, v for vendetta is very philosophical... so if that would bore you i dont know.

but youd certainly LOVE the action :jmp:

Mabie I will give it a shot.

Hybrid Soldier
21-04-06, 01:02
V for Vendetta was a good movie. At first i wasn't to keen on seeing it but i'm glad i did. It was worth my...$8.75 (i think that was it).