PDA

View Full Version : Would you play Tomb Raider if Lara wasnt in it?

Lara Croft Fan Joe
21-04-06, 10:44
If lara was not in TR and lets say some guy or blonde woman was in it, would you still want to play the game?

Peyn_OTHfan
21-04-06, 10:47
Yeah..why not? :)

Vedad
21-04-06, 10:53
i wouldnt.. cuz there is no tomb raider without lara...
i would maybe play another game with lara in it

Lara Lover
21-04-06, 10:55
Nope, I wouldn't. I think that makes Tomb Raider so special is Lara Croft. ;)

frigabond
21-04-06, 10:55
If the gameplay,puzzles,control and atmosphere were as good as tombraider then yes.
The name of the game is tombraider, that could be anyone. It just so happens that core decided to call the character Lara Croft. It could easily have been Ethel Postlethwaite for all the difference it would have made to the gameplay.:)
Wether it's simply a good game that tests me is what counts to me.:D

Happy tombing to all

scion05
21-04-06, 10:56
Nope... if she was blonde shed probably never figuire out how
to turn on the headset nevermind use it :p

...*No offence to any blondes :)*...

Pipolinne
21-04-06, 10:58
Big Lol to the joke on blondes :rolleyes:!

No,of course not :D! Tomb Raider is a concept created including,from the start ,Lara Croft!Lara is the Tomb Raider the title refers to!

Anyway, shoudn't this thread be in general chat?

Anubis_AF
21-04-06, 11:00
Moved to General Chat.
Good question. I think I would still like it. But I prefer if a girl is the main character replacing Lara.

Ampersand
21-04-06, 11:04
I think I'd probably still play it. :) Lara Croft is an iconic character, but the concept of TR would still be enjoyable without her. :D

Jacob x5
21-04-06, 11:06
I'd maybe give it a shot, but I wouldn't find it as enjoyable. It wouldn't be Tomb Raider, and I'd be disappointed at the makers of the game for calling it 'Tomb Raider'.

SUGARPIE
21-04-06, 11:11
If the game had been made without Lara then it is possible that it would have been a success on it's own merits but I doubt it would have attracted such an enormous fan base.

Most fans are boys of a certain age. The older women among us favour the game for it's 'technical ability' and sense of adventure.

Almost immediately after TR hit the shelves, people wanted to know more about Lara Croft - i.e. where was she educated? What is her birthday? et cetera. She became the hot property and soon companies were cashing in on her image to sell such things as Lucozade.

So yes, I would still have played the game but I am sure it would have not become such a phenomenal success without Lara Croft as it's lead character :tmb:

SeeJay
21-04-06, 11:27
hmm.. well of course I would have.. if the character was as strong and unique as Lara Croft.
I only started playing the game because I liked the character..
My affection towards Lara herself came later.

MiCkiZ88
21-04-06, 18:15
I'd play.. but I'd want to see lara in other games..

Enchantress
21-04-06, 18:17
Ya I like Lara so I guss if they changed it now I wouldent like it but if it started out as someone else I wouldent mind.

Croft06
21-04-06, 18:17
I'm not bothered, its the concept of the game rather than Lara's appearance that appeals to me

jarhead
21-04-06, 18:18
i'd play any game of a similar style but now lara was created tomb raider wouoldnt be the same without her.

Zip
Nope, I wouldn't. I think that makes Tomb Raider so special is Lara Croft. ;)

Totally agree

Lara Croft!
i wouldnt.. cuz there is no tomb raider without lara...
i would maybe play another game with lara in it
My feelings exactly....And what u said about Lara starring in another game...interesting........

interstellardave
21-04-06, 18:20
I'd have played and loved Tomb Raider 1 no matter who the main character was. And the rest of the games would follow from there. I was never one to care anything about Lara herself--except what the next game was going to be!

Lara is great, though, don't get me wrong, but the game's the thing, as they say!

stereopathic
21-04-06, 18:23
i would have played it definitely, but what really got my attention before the game originally came out was lara. now you see strong female lead characters in everything. in fact, the device is overused nowadays, but lara in 1996 was as unique as the game.

-edit- w00t. 1000 posts.

Thorir
21-04-06, 18:26
No, I would never play a TR game without Lara.
The game alone is nothing without her.

interstellardave
21-04-06, 18:28
wgell is sooooo going to love this topic!

sambaldam
21-04-06, 18:49
If the gameplay,puzzles,control and atmosphere were as good as tombraider then yes.
The name of the game is tombraider, that could be anyone. It just so happens that core decided to call the character Lara Croft. It could easily have been Ethel Postlethwaite for all the difference it would have made to the gameplay.:)

Happy tombing to all

they wanted to call lara laura cruise but the americans couldn't say laura:hea: instead they said lara:vlol:

sam

interstellardave
21-04-06, 18:54
they wanted to call lara laura cruise but the americans couldn't say laura:hea: instead they said lara:vlol:

sam

Boy, these american jokes just keep popping up on this forum... nothing is ever said about it, it seems. And this one is totally random, and unfunny. :mad:

Geck-o-Lizard
21-04-06, 18:57
Sambaldam: Never heard that version of it. The American accent pronounces the A in Lara as "aw" not "ah", so she's spelled Lara and pronounced Laura by most of them. Probably some pronounce it "eh" instead of "ah" so you'd get "Lerah". I'm guessing most non-British accents would mispronounce it anyway so it's not really a big deal.

As for the original question... no I wouldn't play TR without Lara. She's a particularly strong character; if she'd been just one of those mediocre female characters that so many other adventure games have, TR would never have hit off. The whole series is as much about her as the tombs. :)

average stalker
21-04-06, 20:07
if a new tomb raider game was made without lara i'd be upset, but it wouldn't stop me from playing the game. if they used a different character at the beginning of the series it wouldn't have made a difference, but now if they bring in a new main character...well that would be lame.

Betal
21-04-06, 20:16
never. No Lara Croft no Tomb Raider:mad:

xMiSsCrOfTx
21-04-06, 20:55
Probably not.

BlackGrey
21-04-06, 21:09
Yeah

YvesSL
21-04-06, 21:16
Lara makes Tomb Raider!

laracroft2122
21-04-06, 21:19
erm......prob.

Angel666
21-04-06, 21:40
As long as the gameplay was good and the character interesting.

meansizzler
21-04-06, 21:42

Happy tombing to all

I like how you think....

Grenade
21-04-06, 21:43
Boy, these american jokes just keep popping up on this forum... nothing is ever said about it, it seems. And this one is totally random, and unfunny. :mad:
That was from wikipedia.

Oh and I probably would play it. It wouldn't feel like Tomb Raider. But it depens on what it's like.:)

Ross
21-04-06, 21:44
well the game wouldnt have caught my attention if there was no Lara!

tr_mitch
21-04-06, 22:26
Well laras gonna 'croak' it eventually, so if tomb raider keeps going, she's bout to be replaced, maybe by her daughter who is yet to be born, who can figure things out which poor lara never had the chance too :mad:

Grenade
21-04-06, 22:28
Well laras gonna 'croak' it eventually, so if tomb raider keeps going, she's bout to be replaced, maybe by her daughter who is yet to be born, who can figure things out which poor lara never had the chance too :mad:
Sorry but I disagree with you. Lara should always be in TR games.

tr_mitch
21-04-06, 22:30
Well i think eventually she will have to pass the holster, the boots and the junk in the trunk down to someone else, preferably someone who takes after her, no other person could fit a better role than her daughter.

ILG49ers
22-04-06, 00:26
I would probably still play, but it wouldn't be as good without Lara!

MizzCroft007
22-04-06, 00:38
No. No I would not. =P

Amanda Evert
22-04-06, 01:34
I like Lara. Her wit. Her glam. I would prefer Lara over everybody else (if given options), but I would still play Tomb Raider if she is not in it. :wve:

Shark_Blade
22-04-06, 10:07
Imagine this:

Amanda Evert:Tomb Raider
...sounds kinda weird,but what the heck,I'll give it a try.
But I'm sure it won't be the same experience as playing as Lara.:D

Hybrid Soldier
22-04-06, 19:30
I don't know, probably not for two reasons.

1. Tomb Raider isn't Tomb Raider without Lara.

2. I can't picture anyone/thing else taking Lara's place.