PDA

View Full Version : The Soap Opera Sofa

SUGARPIE
22-04-06, 15:42
Hi all :wve:

I thought it would be good to have a thread in which we can discuss our favourite soaps and plots/storylines as well as our favourite and least favourite characters!

The one thing most soaps seem to have in common is this tendency of the script writers to dig up some long lost relative from the graveyard every time the story is drying up!

Another thing I find amusing is, Emmerdale, for example. There are only a handful of houses/cottages in the fictional village and yet the pub is always full (and yet the car park empty), the cafe is always heaving and people continue to shop at Viv's Post Office in spite of her acid tongue :D

For a small village they have had inumerate murders, a few fires, a plane crash, a bus crash, floods and then the roof caved in at the pub killing Trisha. Now we have the mad doctor storyline!

Nobody seems to have a car so they take a bus to Hotten once a year for supplies! It is just so silly but I still watch it for my sins :D

What are your favourite soaps and past storylines? What are your observations about how believable these plots are? :wve:

Ross
22-04-06, 15:46
i watch Eastenders and Neighbours. neither of which are any good nowadays, but hey its something to do for half hour :)

SUGARPIE
22-04-06, 15:52
Eastenders is OK but I never dare put it on when my parents are here! My father absolutely loathes it and says if ever it's on when he is channel-hopping it is always someone shouting or in a punch-up!

Coronation Street is better as it incorporates humour. But the Richard Hillman storyline was quite gruesome for an early show. The soaps seem to be getting braver in the violence that they are screening before the watershed but it's all about competition and the ratings war.

T-Raider
22-04-06, 17:03
Eastender's and Hollyoaks are my best !!! always have been always will be

SUGARPIE
22-04-06, 17:10
I used to love that cheesy late-night Oz soap called 'Cell Block H' it was so bad it was addictive :D

I've watched Hollyoaks a few times, seems a bit corny too but good for teens I suppose. I also like most things they put on T4 on Sat/sun so I guess thats where I have watched the Hollyoaks omnibus in the background!

Shauni
22-04-06, 17:12
I don't watch soap opera's... My life is soapy enough already as it is. :vlol:

Tune in next week for the conclusion of Shauni's dilemma, "Is green really the new black??????". :rolleyes: :D

Why do they call it soap Operas anyway? Soap commercials and Opera? :confused:

ILG49ers
22-04-06, 17:14
Why do they call it soap Operas anyway? Soap commercials and Opera? :confused:

I always wanted to know why they are called Soap Operas too. :D

Lavinder
22-04-06, 17:27
I use to watch them all the time but then slowly went off them. Now the only time I watch them is if i'm watching them with Scion :)

Real Life Lara
22-04-06, 17:37
Soap Operas... I heard it was something to do with actual soap adverts. In each advert they would have a little scene, program type thing which would be continued in the next advert (kinda like those spoof ones of 'cleaner close' that they show over here :p) and the name just took after that. Not sure though. :wve:

Oh and I like Corrie and Emmerdale... Eastenders has always been too depressing and unbelievable for my liking... that many murders, drug dealings and affairs in one episode? Geeez... :p

SUGARPIE
22-04-06, 17:38

I believe that the main sponsor for these programmes was a soap manufacturer (Pears soap or something!). Therefore the name stuck over the years. It's amazing how many phrases started off when you look way back into the history books.

xMyrax
22-04-06, 17:39

Maybe its cause when a person in the scene is washing up with soap, another person is being murdered or having a posh catfight and there is Opera music is the background...Yes thats it! :D ^^

ILG49ers
22-04-06, 17:41
Maybe its cause when a person in the scene is washing up with soap, another person is being murdered or having a posh catfight and there is Opera music is the background...Yes thats it! :D ^^

LOL! Yep, that's probably it! :D

jarhead
22-04-06, 17:44
i watch neighbours and thats about it- occasionally i watch one tree hill, on channel 4 of a sunday but thats it

SUGARPIE
22-04-06, 17:45
My favourite soap is probably Coronation Street and my favourite character Fred Elliot!

My least favourite is Eastenders because it is too depressing. My favourite character from 'Enders is probably Gary Hobbs, he's just such a clutz :D

RoseTyler
22-04-06, 18:02
Home and Away! :D And bits n pieces of Coronation street.