PDA

View Full Version : Can you remap the controls (PC Version)

buckmana
23-04-06, 00:56
This is a important question for me, especially given TRVI.

I try to remap every game's controls to a Tomb Raider standard (or, as close as I can get it). Up until TRVI, I hadn't needed to do this with Tomb Raider.

Is this option still available for the PC version of TRVII.

Lost_Raider
23-04-06, 00:58
There is no way you can revert the control back to Tomb Raider Classic...the fundemental control system are completely different.

LordCroft
23-04-06, 01:31
The best way is to get a joypad for PC and copy the PS2 controls, they're the easiest.

Only thing is the :cen: thing doesn't save ur layout and reverts some controls back to default.

Lost_Raider
23-04-06, 01:32
They say patch 1.1 solve that problem (I don't know 'cuz I will stick with mouse and keyboard)

Joseph
23-04-06, 03:21
Buckmana you can try the patch:
TR Legend Patch 1.1 -Europe Only (Download (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/updates.html) - Freeware)
This patch fixes some minor compatibility issues that affect a small amount of high end PCs running the European version of Tomb Raider: Legend.

wgell
23-04-06, 08:06
This is a important question for me, especially given TRVI.

I try to remap every game's controls to a Tomb Raider standard (or, as close as I can get it). Up until TRVI, I hadn't needed to do this with Tomb Raider.

Is this option still available for the PC version of TRVII.

It is possible to play Legend with the keyboard only. And yes you can remap all the controls. But it does not control like the old game. It works fine if you map jump to the right mouse button, left for combat and use the mouse for steering Lara. Map all other controls to buttons near the cursor keys which are used for directional control. I suggest you play the demo.

You might be in for a bit of a culture shock. :cln:

Michiel
23-04-06, 10:00
I remapped right mouse button to grenades/flares :jmp: Works much better then jumping with the mouse. Real shooting games are played best on PC with keyboard/mouse. Tomb Raider is a semi shooting game, but WASD controls still work perfect for it, as long as you remap other keys around there. The default keys were terrible, you needed 3 hands to play the gamewith those.

urkydj
23-04-06, 10:19
the first thing i did when playing the demo was to remap action (e) to ctrl, its pointless to put the most important button (it does so much) to the other end of the keyboard were the arrow keys!

Michiel
23-04-06, 10:38
the first thing i did when playing the demo was to remap action (e) to ctrl, its pointless to put the most important button (it does so much) to the other end of the keyboard were the arrow keys!
It's not on the other end. Games like this should be played with WASD as movement keys and not the arrow keys :p Because you need 1 hand for the mouse it's hard to use the arrow keys because they are on the far right of the keyboard. And those arrow keys are seperated from the other keys.

So for PC controls it's mostly arrow keys without mouse, or WASD and mouse combination. If you also want to use the arrow keys you need 3 hands, like I have :p

urkydj
23-04-06, 10:48
It's not on the other end. Games like this should be played with WASD as movement keys and not the arrow keys :p Because you need 1 hand for the mouse it's hard to use the arrow keys because they are on the far right of the keyboard. And those arrow keys are seperated from the other keys.

So for PC controls it's mostly arrow keys without mouse, or WASD and mouse combination. If you also want to use the arrow keys you need 3 hands, like I have :p
ok zaphod beeblebrox, but i can use the arrow keys with my left hand and the mouse with my right hand

urkydj
23-04-06, 10:53
with my pinkie on the ctrl key for action (on other games jump)

Michiel
23-04-06, 11:13
But except movement, jump and mouse you need 9 more keys to play Legend. :p Thats why I don't like the arrow keys, are aren't so many keys around there that you can quickly press.

urkydj
23-04-06, 11:28
o well im buying a gamepad. can anyone suggest a good one for playing legend? (one thts compatible, works and fun to use)

lee32uk
23-04-06, 11:56
o well im buying a gamepad. can anyone suggest a good one for playing legend? (one thts compatible, works and fun to use)

Buy a console pad i.e ps2,xbox etc and then buy a usb converter to attatch it to the pc.If your in uk try game :D
I use my ps2 pad with a converter i got for 9.99 and it works perfectly.

frigabond
23-04-06, 12:09
Personally I remapped controls onto the numerid keypad, as a gamepad is out of the question for me unfortunately:( . I find I can almost play one handed that way. You still have to use the mouse (damned camera!:) ) there's no way round that given the control system now in place. But you do have 16 keys in very close proximity to play with.

Hope that helps

Happy tombing to all

buckmana
23-04-06, 12:23
I'm still waiting for my copy of Tomb Raider, so I don't know if it can be done.

Can somebody give me a list of the default PC commands with the keys they correspond to? I bought the PiggybackInteractive book, but it only tells me about Playstation console controls.

Usually, I configure something like this:

Arrow Keys - movement.
Alt - jump.
Shift - walk.
Control - action.
Number Pad 0 - look.
Space Bar - draw/holster weapons.

If there are any other commands, I use a letter key that corresponds with the first letter of the action's name. In Tomb Raider VI, I used S for stealth (wall-hugging and sneaking).

I would probably set the game for auto-targeting, unless manual is really the way to go. Is there sniping in TRVII?

I don't bother with the mouse for targeting if I can avoid it.

Does the patch work? Sometimes they make problems worse?

wgell
23-04-06, 12:52

Eh? If you use the arrow keys you can remap the other controls to keys near them and use the mouse. That's how I control all PC games. I nver, ever, ever use WASD because it's too far to the left and too easily confused with Q and E. Using the arrow keys is much better.

wgell
23-04-06, 12:54
I'm still waiting for my copy of Tomb Raider, so I don't know if it can be done.

Can somebody give me a list of the default PC commands with the keys they correspond to? I bought the PiggybackInteractive book, but it only tells me about Playstation console controls.

Arrow Keys - movement.
Alt - jump.
Shift - walk.
Control - action.
Number Pad 0 - look.

If there are any other commands, I use a letter key that corresponds with the first letter of the action's name. In Tomb Raider VI, I used S for stealth (wall-hugging and sneaking).

I would probably set the game for auto-targeting, unless manual is really the way to go. Is there sniping in TRVII?

Seriously. Play the demo. You're in for a shock.

Michiel
23-04-06, 13:44

Arrow Keys - movement.
Alt - jump.
Shift - walk.
Control - action.
Number Pad 0 - look.

That won't work, Legend is so much different. For example the default keys were set to these:

Q - throw grapple
E - Action
W - move forward
A - move left
S - move back
D - move right
F - roll, duck, release grip, swam-dive, etc
G - change target
H - fire (normally you use the mouse for this, but on moterbike levels this works better)
K - grenades / flares (I remapped this to right mouse, works easier for me)

You have also keys for PDA, lamp, medpack, binoculairs and change weapon. I remapped nearly all of those because you needed 3 hands to use them. Left hand for the keys on the left size (listed above), middle hand for the other functions I listed above (they were mapped to insert, home, delete, etc) and right hand for the mouse (camera and shooting).

buckmana
23-04-06, 13:46
I'm still on a 56k connection!!! :o :o :o :o

I tried to download the demo and it said it would take 51 hours. After I recovered from the shock, I gave up.

My ISP is downgrading the 56k connection and they're moving to Broadband support instead.

urkydj
23-04-06, 18:31
Buy a console pad i.e ps2,xbox etc and then buy a usb converter to attatch it to the pc.If your in uk try game :D
I use my ps2 pad with a converter i got for 9.99 and it works perfectly.
ooo ill go 2 game nxt week then. um... does it includ software to remap keys? thnx

lee32uk
24-04-06, 00:27
you can change the setup so it matches the ps2 console version.I set mine as below

left analogue stick - movement
right analogue stick - move camera
L1 - lock target
L2 - switch weapon
R1 - shoot
R2 - manual aim
X - jump
Triangle - interact
circle - crouch/roll
square - grapple
d-pad up - medipack
d-pad left - PLS
d-pad right - binoculars
d-pad down - grenade
Select - PDA

buckmana
24-04-06, 01:03
I'm not very good at using gamepads. I own a Logitech Precision Gamepad (I got it for $20), but the only reason I bought it was for two player games (which they're aren't enough good ones available, I think I currently own two that can use it) and someone else uses it, not me. I stick to the keyboard. I feel it gives me a level of precision the gamepad does not allow.

And can someone tell me about the save system. Can you save anywhere or just at the checkpoints in the PC version?

Nicky
24-04-06, 09:36
Can you save anywhere or just at the checkpoints in the PC version?
You can save anywhere, but only the checkpoints work. That is - you can save anytime you want, but when you reload your game for some reason or if Lara dies, you are then transported to the last checkpoint you passed from, even if meanwhile you saved beyond that one.

buckmana
24-04-06, 10:33
You can save anywhere, but only the checkpoints work. That is - you can save anytime you want, but when you reload your game for some reason or if Lara dies, you are then transported to the last checkpoint you passed from, even if meanwhile you saved beyond that one.

Grrrr!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I'm trying something really hard and not getting it right (usually resulting in Lara's untimely demise), I like to save before trying. I've seen this a lot in other games, but NEVER thought it would happen in Tomb Raider!!! And we don't even get three lives or bonus lives (which allow you to continue from untimely demise point).