PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu

Jebus
23-04-06, 09:16
Is anyone here actually scared of a Bird Flu pandemic? i dont really think that one is likely, unless the virus mutates so it can be easily passed from human to human, im just wondering what you guys think?

Kamrusepas
23-04-06, 09:17
From what I've heard our country is rather well prepared. In situations like these of course, no amount of preparation might not be enough, but I'm not that worried :)

in these arms
23-04-06, 09:19
the bird flu has spreaded through Europe. I dont care if I die. So no im not scared of bird flu. Just luck you survive.

Jebus
23-04-06, 09:22
yeah and they made a breakthrough with some thing which can kill it, it was in the paper the other day, they tested some hand wash, can't remember the name of it, it was designed to kill MRSA in hospitals and they tested it on bird flu and it kind of killed it, they say it is important to kill the virus before it enters the body, but if it mutates and can be passed in the air, like a normal cold can it will be really hard to do that.

MiCkiZ88
23-04-06, 09:22
I'm not scared of it.. That last pandemia that happened hundred years ago.. no one was really prepared for it.. News just make it just a big deal.. Omg Another VICTIM! erm.. it's not even fast spreading... yet.. And those who get it won't most likely die because of it.. If they get good treatment.. I mean.. count the ''Victims'' of bird flu and count the victims of aids, malaria or something else.. this just proves that on europe this is a disaster.. heck.. if they concentrate on bird flu why couldn't they just concentrate on aids or other deseases as good... Besides.. I haven't even heard anythig about the flu for months...

Jebus
23-04-06, 09:26
well they did find a dead swan in Scotland with H5N1 strain which is the strain everyone is worried about. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4932934.stm
that will tell you exectly where they found it.

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 09:35
Unfortunately, new strains of existing viruses will always be around as just as soon as we find a cure for one, the virus becomes resistant to the treatment and becomes immune to it in some cases (like with the common cold viruses), or new viruses appear.

Even so-called civilised countries like the US and the UK are at a greater risk these days due to the increase in foreign travel. Disease can readily be transfered between countries via tourism alone. But I wouldn't be overly concerned. The media have a tendency to blow things up out of all proportion in order to sell papers. News channels are no more responsible either with their scare-mongering.

It is usually only exceptionally vulnerable people that are susceptible to these strains - the elderly or those who have a poor immune system due to existing or previous illness.

As long as you eat heathily and keep yourself reasonably fit you should be able to tackle anything lest you be unfortunate enough to contract such a virus, which in itself is pretty unlikely in most cases. :)

MiCkiZ88
23-04-06, 09:37
Unfortunately, new strains of existing viruses will always be around as just as soon as we find a cure for one, the virus becomes resistant to the treatment and becomes immune to it in some cases (like with the common cold viruses), or new viruses appear.

Even so-called civilised countries like the US and the UK are at a greater risk these days due to the increase in foreign travel. Disease can readily be transfered between countries via tourism alone. But I wouldn't be overly concerned. The media have a tendency to blow things up out of all proportion in order to sell papers. News channels are no more responsible either with their scare-mongering.

It is usually only exceptionally vulnerable people that are susceptible to these strains - the elderly or those who have a poor immune system due to existing or previous illness.

As long as you eat heathily and keep yourself reasonably fit you should be able to tackle anything lest you be unfortunate enough to contract such a virus, which in itself is pretty unlikely in most cases. :)

true.. media just makes anything seem so big...

Jebus
23-04-06, 09:37
thanks for your input sugarpie.:D

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 09:42
thanks for your input sugarpie.:D

Good topic as it goes Jebus :tmb:

jarhead
23-04-06, 09:51
I'm not worried. if it mutates and bird flu becomes this massive pandemic i think people would find better ways to deal with it. there is just too much media hype and coverage

Betal
23-04-06, 09:53
No i'm not scared. But the bird flu are in sweden now.

Dazzy
23-04-06, 09:53
Is anyone here actually scared of a Bird Flu pandemic? i dont really think that one is likely, unless the virus mutates so it can be easily passed from human to human, im just wondering what you guys think?

I am kind of scared, deep down, but other than that, Im not bothered.

Tramp
23-04-06, 22:22
Personally I don't think there is much chance of it becoming a pandemic. I have posted on this before everytime a bird dies there is another outcry. Bird flu has been around since we have had birds and has always been able to be passed on to humans. All forms of bird flu can kill people if they don't do anything about it. It is readily treatable with antibiotics.

This breakthrough came through via the news last night.

New penicillin found in wallaby milk

Sunday Apr 23 10:33 AEST
Scientists have discovered a bacteria-fighting compound 100 times more effective than penicillin - in wallaby milk.
Researchers found the highly-potent compound, tagged AGG01, was active against a wide variety of fungi and bacteria including antibiotic-resistant superbugs.
Research team leader Dr Ben Cocks said the discovery could have a profound impact on both human and animal health.
"This compound has the potential to be commercially synthesised and may prove vital in the war against increasingly resistant human and animal diseases," Dr Cocks said. He said researchers from the Victorian government's Department of Primary Industries made the discovery while investigating the chemical properties of Tammar wallabies' breast milk to determine how their immune-deficient newborns built up resistance to bacteria while in the pouch.
Using online biological information, they searched the wallaby's genome to identify more than 30 factors in the breast milk that contribute to fighting bugs.
Compound AGG01 was found to be effective against a relative of the hospital superbug MRSA, or golden staph, as well as ecoli, Streptococci, Salmonella, Bacillus subtilus, Pseudomonas spp, Proteus vulgaris, and Staphylococcus aureus.

I believe clinical tests are now being carried out to test it's effectiveness. Something so simple yet so effective. I don't know why it hasn't been looked into before as we have been aware for a long time that babies don't have functioning immune systems and get their immunity from their parents mainly the mother. Even birds feed crop milk which contains the antibodies that give the babies their immunity until their own develops.

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 22:27
Thanks for the info Kate :hug:

It might go some way to reassuring some of our younger members :tmb: I always thought that 'breast was best' too.

Angel666
23-04-06, 22:42
Thanks for the info tramp. I'm not worried at all. As in every little thing, the media is blowing it way out of proportion.

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 22:45
HI Angel666 :wve:

I agree wholeheartedly :tmb:

Belfastard
23-04-06, 22:57
Thanks for the info tramp. I'm not worried at all. As in every little thing, the media is blowing it way out of proportion.

I agree also Angel666.

Geck-o-Lizard
23-04-06, 23:08
I'm concerned about it. I'm not worried or scared about it, though. It'll take a lot for it to mutate into a human-to-human virus. In the meantime, there are plenty far more pressing issues to be getting worked up over than a disease that so far is laughable compared to the normal flu virus.

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-04-06, 23:23
I'm not getting worked up just yet. As Geck said, I'm concerned, but not overly worried/scared.