PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD Or Blue-Ray ?????

Zip
23-04-06, 11:02
Ok so theres a technology war waging again and well i can't say who will win and i wanted to know what you guys think im betting on HD-DVD and hoping theres a repeat of the Betamax defeat,allthough ps3 will have Blue-Ray i don't think it will win

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 11:05
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6591/bunny20with20pancake4db.jpg

badboy70
23-04-06, 11:08
hmm, that's a good question. what type will the revolution use ?

scion05
23-04-06, 11:11
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6591/bunny20with20pancake4db.jpg

:D

Lara Lover
23-04-06, 11:14
PS3 are using Blue-Ray as there won't be any copyright breach. HD-DVD I'm not sure about that.

:tmb:

ace_85
23-04-06, 11:14
Hmm...I'm not so sure about HD-DVD personally. Blu-Ray has the support of more popular mainsteam companies such as Sony and Apple. Plus Blu-Ray capacity is far larger than HD-DVD - potentially 200Gb compared to 30Gb with HD-DVD.

Sugarpie, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are the next generation of DVD style storage disks. This so-called 'standards war' will be similar to what happened between VHS and Betamax in the 80's :)

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 11:15
Blue Rays? Breach? Are we talking about deep-sea diving here? :ton:

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 11:16
Oh I see, thanks for that Ace. I am way behind everyone else in the technology stakes. I have only just learned how to connect my DVD into the telly :D

MiCkiZ88
23-04-06, 11:22
I'm counting for bluray...

meansizzler
23-04-06, 11:27
Oh I see, thanks for that Ace. I am way behind everyone else in the technology stakes. I have only just learned how to connect my DVD into the telly :D

Isn't she adorable...:hug:

Zip
23-04-06, 11:28
I vast storage of Blue-Ray will put it as a favourite but i just don't think it will make it

Just in case you don't know Blue-Ray needs a whole new dvd drive this is due to the way the data is read normally theres a red laser to read the bumps and ditches but theres a blue laser reading on Blue-Ray so that means the bumps and ditches can be put closer together as blue light is a finer beam

Just so you know itel help you sleep at night

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 11:33
Isn't she adorable...:hug:

Hehehehe my ignorance is obviously dangerously endearing :D I need a man to do these things for me! I haven't even found the video channel yet but the TV is not long for this world so I need a HD ready flat-screen I think to keep up!

I have marked all the leads so I know what goes where. Ideally I'd like to be able to route the stereo through it too to get the Dolby surround sound but it might be a bit loud for those living below as the main speakers are massive and are at floor level!

ace_85
23-04-06, 11:37
Crucially though, Sony will be sneaking a cut-price Blu-Ray player into many homes within the PS3. Stand-alone HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players will probably still be around 1000, but PS3 will only be around 400-450. This obviously means that initially Sony will be making a slight loss on every PS3 they sell, but it is a marketing gamble they are taking to try and ensure that Blu-Ray comes out on top. Time will tell if it pays off...

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 11:43
Interesting even if I don't follow the war on technology to any great degree.

Off-topic, I lived in Cardiff for a while Ace, just on Richmond Road there. Then again I have moved around a great deal over the years! :)

ace_85
23-04-06, 11:46
Interesting even if I don't follow the war on technology to any great degree.

Off-topic, I lived in Cardiff for a while Ace, just on Richmond Road there. Then again I have moved around a great deal over the years! :)
Lol, I live just off City Road, about 2 minutes walk from Richmond Rd :D I'm a student layabout at Cardiff Uni at the moment so it's nice to be so close to the main building ;)

lee32uk
23-04-06, 11:48
i dont care who wins as long as there is a huge price war :D

SUGARPIE
23-04-06, 11:58
Lol, I live just off City Road, about 2 minutes walk from Richmond Rd :D I'm a student layabout at Cardiff Uni at the moment so it's nice to be so close to the main building ;)

It's a small world! I was in a huge house living in the bottom floor, the place was full of students but they were really nice! There are some great hang-outs there. Is the Philarmonic still there? What about Sam's bar? Sorry to get off topic folks, just wondering how Cardiff might have changed :tmb:

Jebus
23-04-06, 13:26
they say that the ps3 will use blu-ray disks, which yes can store a lot more media than current DVD's but in turn cost more! how much are ps3 games gonna cost id say anywhere between 50-60 each! thats my opinion on the matter. and in turn it will be more expensive for games developers to make games on PS3 thats why im sticking with my 360!:D

Mona Sax
23-04-06, 13:30
I just hope one standard will prevail before I waste my money on the other one.

meansizzler
23-04-06, 13:40
But Blue Ray doesn't have this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Serenity_HD-DVD.jpg

Summer Glau in HD..*Drools*

Jebus
23-04-06, 13:42
lol, thats the first, HD-DVD case i have seen

Zip
23-04-06, 14:22
But Blue Ray doesn't have this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Serenity_HD-DVD.jpg

Summer Glau in HD..*Drools*

Excellent im stickin with HD

LiquidKal
23-04-06, 15:32
I'm going to be getting a PS3, so I'm gunna have to back Blu-ray.
Plus, it has higher capacity than HD-DVD, so it seems the logical choice to me.

Serenity is a good argument :D But I'm sure once Blu-ray wins the war, Serenity will come to blu-ray at some stage. ;)

A couple years and all my DVD's are gunna be obsolete... noooooo!

larasfrend
23-04-06, 15:43
So does this mean we won't be able to use normal DVDs anymore?

LiquidKal
23-04-06, 16:12
So does this mean we won't be able to use normal DVDs anymore?

All future HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players will be backward compatible with DVD's, so nothing to worry about.
At least all the players I've seen are... to not include backward compatibility would be stupid.

Dingaling
23-04-06, 16:17
PS3 will be Backwards compaitble with DVD and so will Xbox 360 once it gets it's HD-Drive (what will that cost £300?) or does it already have one? All I've heard is that the 360 has a normal DVD drive and not a HD-Drive. Can someone confirm that? Cos I have no idea anymore since my brain is elsewhere :p

And someone asked about Revolution - I think that's just using normal DVDs.

LiquidKal
23-04-06, 16:29
Thats right, 360 has a DVD drive. I believe it was going to have HD-DVD but it was changed not long before launch for some reason :confused:

Is it going to get an upgrade? That'd be good, but also a bit of a dodgy move on their part... having to upgrade a console to play the newer HD-DVD games, the beauty of a console is not having to upgrade anything.

wonderboy
23-04-06, 19:01
PS3 will be taking a HUGE loss not only because they chose to go with the blueray drive, they're making a lot of outrgeous claims. And just to clarify they've announced in February that to make up for that loss in hardware they will be selling software at $120-$160 per game that's the price of having ultra high def gaming.

Zip
23-04-06, 19:36
Me and my best mate have just had a full discussion on this and well we have said it could go either way,it depends on what us as the consumers pick but i still think it will go towards the HD-DVD,sony are making a loss to make us buy a player for Blue-Ray capability and then we will buy the disks but looking at it,were not ready for it the tvs have only just come out but theres gunna be two types of HD so the ones out now arn't any good

There's a article in the Times newspaper

i cut it out and posted here you go sorry its like all messed up save it and open it as you wont be able to read it correctly

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jacktheripper56/Picture.jpg

MiCkiZ88
23-04-06, 20:10
I don't get you ppl.. that's why I'm staying of this thread.. btw remember that ps3 will supprd almost everysingle disc format..

HollabackBoy
23-04-06, 20:37
So what other features will HD-DVD and Blue-Ray movies have over normal DVD movies??? More bonus footage? :rolleyes:

wonderboy
23-04-06, 21:04
Clearer pictures of course :-P The new movie files will be HUGE in order to take advantage of the BluRay video quality.

Timy226
23-04-06, 21:14
The PS3 will be expensive due to the Blu-ray drive in it. It depends who has the most money Microsoft or Sony. Was the same with Beatamx (sp?) and Sony VHS. They won because they had more money. I am worried about maybe having to by a HD-DVD Drive for my 360, but i will come to that when it happens. I am going to back... HD-DVD as i have a 360. But i would bet my bottom dollar Blu-ray will win (god damn sony :D).