PDA

View Full Version : Flat Screen TVs - Advice?

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 12:54
Hi there Raiders :wve:

Now then, I do believe that the UK TV programme 'The Gadget Show' has a website if I have the name of the programme right.

I don't think my current television is long for this world. It was a hand-me-down from Dad when he got a widescreen. His widescreen lasted but one year however :( He now has a flat screen and also mum has a PC monitor that doubles-up as a TV.

I think the tube is on it's way out. It's a massive TV (not terribly old-fashioned though!), and they bought it as an ex-rental whilst deciding what sort of TV to buy when replacing their Bang & Olufsen model.

I'd like to have a new TV on standby lest this one gives up the ghost as my portable died a few months ago. All I am left with is this huge thing and a camping TV (b/w). I'm not desperate but has anyone seen any reviews on any gadget programmes? If I remember correctly, the review I saw last year on one such programme declared that the more expensive flat-screen TVs were not the best by far!

Any information or advice would be welcomed. Cost is important too. I'm not poor but I am careful with money and don't like throwing it around, particularly on a TV that might not go the distance. They just don't seem to build things to last these days!

Thanks in advance for any interesting info or reviews you have for my ingestion :tmb:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 12:56
Hi Sugarpie :wve:

How big do you want the TV to me for cost's?

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:02
Hi Kyle :wve:

I guess a 17" monitor would suffice and I won't pay more than £300 so a sale price of £300 might be good but it needs to be a reliable TV that will go a good few years if possible :tmb: If I can get a cheaper price then that is a bonus. I would consider a dual TV/PC monitor too incase my Dell flat-screen packs up. It's 4 years old now so one never knows how long they might last! :)

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:04
Hmmm, PC/TV? Good choice. 17" is even better :tmb: LCD or Plasma?

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:06
What's the difference? And whats with this HD Ready business - I don't quite understand modern technology. I'm just a Sheila without wheels :vlol:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:06
LCD is your best choice :tmb:

Argos - Mikomi 1701W 17" Widescreen LCD TV £249.99 TV/PC (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5290176/Trail/C%24cip%3D36693.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D3 6785.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D36787.LCD%2Bflat%2Bpa nel%2Btelevisions.htm)

That's the only one I found at your price :tmb:

HD Ready is High Defination which gives you much clearer picture, makes you see more of the TV. I wouldn't worry about it :tmb:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:09
Hey that looks good enough to eat! :D

That's a good price too. What do others think? I'll see if anyone else has some experiences before I commit myself, as £250 is still a lot of money to spend if the TV has a bad reputation.

Thanks for looking that up Kyle, you're an Angel oh and I just happen to have a fully-credited Argos card :D

meansizzler
24-04-06, 13:10
Also, what do you want to use it for?, just for tv or video games, I assume you have a proper TV aerial, and so I would suggest you go for a TV with a Built in Freeview tuner so you get more than just the regular 5 channels,but what area are you in though, need to check if you can get freeview..and how big do you want it to be, when it comes to regular TV, the bigger the screen the worse the image as regular tv has just to much compression, just like zooming in on a picture you get pixelation, it's the same when viewing regular tv on a larger screen..for video games it does not matter, if you have a console like an Xbox 360 it will scale to the resolution of the TV...for £600 - £700 you get get a good 26" to 32" TV, ys it will be Hi-Def, i wouldn't suggest getting anything smaller...

Well here are some Tv's that have good reviews and have all the connections you will ever need..

Hyundai ImageQuest (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=100823)

Samsung 27" *Bargain* (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/RGNEC/3-/857078/Samsung_27_LE27T51BX_HD_Ready_LCD_TV/Product.html)

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:10
Hey that looks good enough to eat! :D

That's a good price too. What do others think? I'll see if anyone else has some experiences before I commit myself, as £250 is still a lot of money to spend if the TV has a bad reputation.

Thanks for looking that up Kyle, you're an Angel oh and I just happen to have a fully-credited Argos card :D

:D

Awesome! I wouldn't mine one myself. My birthdays in May 5th. I need to make a thread of what my family should buy me :)

meansizzler
24-04-06, 13:14
Whoops, just saw you price limit..., seen a 19" Hidef toshiba, for £350, will see if I can dig it up...

Henhead
24-04-06, 13:17
I ordered a new TV last week, its arriving tomorrow, it’s a Samsung 43" rear projection TV with a separate DVD Recorder / VHS combo it cost me over £600 in total.

Thing is I am bit nervous about my purchase now, because I keep reading bad things about Burn-In's using this type of TV.

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:18
I ordered a new TV last week, its arriving tomorrow, itís a Samsung 43" rear projection TV with a separate DVD Recorder / VHS combo it cost me over £600 in total.

Thing is I am bit nervous about my purchase now, because I keep reading bad things about Burn-In's using this type of TV.

Where did you buy that? I'm looking for a 15" LCD Television. Hopefully money from my birthday will get me it :tmb:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:20
Hi Mean,

Guess what? There is an aerial on the roof of this four-flat building but I have no aerial socket. I use a plug-in booster thing and the leads feed into that which is rather limiting. I could pay to get an aerial socket though.

As for price, I could spend more but I am not prepared to on a TV because I already pay for my TV licence monthly and I refuse to subscribe to SKY so it isn't worth it when I am stuck with 5 terrestrial channels.

The only reaon I thought of a combined TV/PC monitor was because I have no idea how long these Dell monitors last. My bro has all Dell PC's at work - some monitors pack up in 3 years and others are still going after 5 years in the IT room. :wve:

meansizzler
Here is a 19" Hi-Def Samsung, has all the inputs you will need, at £300 it's a great Price..

Link (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1200658637.114588462 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccggaddhihmlhgecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=3&sm=0&tm=undefined&sku=955203&category_oid=-27763)

You can hook up your PC to it to, Native Resolution 1440*900, which is pretty common thesedays for Widescreen PC monitors, also wokrs has a TV...

Henhead
Where did you buy that? I'm looking for a 15" LCD Television. Hopefully money from my birthday will get me it :tmb:

E-Bay

:wve:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:23
Here is a 19" Hi-Def Samsung, has all the inputs you will need, at £300 it's a great Price..

Link (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1200658637.114588462 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccggaddhihmlhgecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=3&sm=0&tm=undefined&sku=955203&category_oid=-27763)

You can hook up your PC to it to, Native Resolution 1440*900, which is pretty common thesedays for Widescreen PC monitors, also wokrs has a TV...

Sugarpie, I think that deal that meansizzler has just offered is one of the best. I was just going to post it. Your never going to find anything better. You wanted 17" for £300, Now you've got a 19" for £289! It's actually pretty cheap for what your getting with the money.

I have a Dell monitor. Flat screen. We got it with our purchase of our Dell computer last Christmas. Has never blown. If it does where going to get a 19" Widescreen for £189. That reminds me, I could look up where to get that and see if it's TV compatible as, It would be worth checking out :tmb:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:23

I've saved that to my faves list - it's looking good. Thanks Meanie :hug:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:25
Sugarpie, Here's an amazon list of some LCD TV's! Check whether there PC/TV. They're pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/14210131/ref=br_bx_1_c_1_1/202-7290845-5785416

Also, Check this one out :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B000CCB0OG/reviews/202-7290845-5785416

That's the one where thinking of purchasing for our computer. It's pretty good :tmb: Cheap too. Doesn't say anything about TV but, Look up on there website and find out :)

illuminati30
24-04-06, 13:26
Sugerpie, try to hold out as long as possible, and try to get an HD TV, when they become affordable to most people.

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:27
Sugerpie, try to hold out as long as possible, and try to get an HD TV, when they become affordable to most people.

I don't think she needs a HD Ready TV. I mean, You really only need them if you got Sky to get HD picture or with a console. She doesn't have Sky or a console so, She really doesn't need it. ;)

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:30
Some great links here chaps! Thanks so much!!

Hey Kyle, good to see you with the old Dell combo! My brother used to buy all his work comps from Gateway but they folded and he never buys anything but Dell now. I bought my Dell combo in 2002 but the bro has added loads more to it, tonnes of memory for a start so I am using about 14% and I have mega amounts of progs installed as it is :D

meansizzler
24-04-06, 13:30
OK found that Toshiba, I would say go for that over the samsung one, it's only £50 more and has a much higher and more common resolution.., there is also one with a built in freeview tuner to...

20" Toshiba HDTV (http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=103352&ReferrerCode=1)

20" Toshiba HDTV with Freeview (http://www.lxdirect.com/rf/navigation/product.do?Mis_item_id=15&product=300460080&D=300460080&Ntt=300460080&Dx=mode+matchall&Ntk=group_search&Mis_item_loc_id=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0&Nu=this_product&Nty=1&thisprod=300460080&SNtt=PY831&SNu=pca_id)

The specs are the same for Both, but I would say if you can stretch to £400 go for the one with Freeview, it will give you a much better picture than normal tv, and way more channels, like 30+, so you will get BBC3, ITV2 and E4 and loads more..well, just thinking of you...

Here is the Spec for the Toshiba Freeview, so far looking good, even got an Award..only thing it lacks is a Digital Input, i.e DVI, so no HD-DVD/BLU-RAY for you, but for a Digital TV and PC monitor it will do the job..

SPEC (http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma-lcdfreeview-20wlt56?opendocument)

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:32
Some great links here chaps! Thanks so much!!

Hey Kyle, good to see you with the old Dell combo! My brother used to buy all his work comps from Gateway but they folded and he never buys anything but Dell now. I bought my Dell combo in 2002 but the bro has added loads more to it, tonnes of memory for a start so I am using about 14% and I have mega amounts of progs installed as it is :D

Awesome. We've got a Dimension 4700. It only got 256mb DDR. Which is not that good. We're planning on upgrading soon to 1gb DDR. We've got 150GB SATA Harddrive. Which is perfect for our needs :tmb:

Mum, Sister, Dad only use it for listening to music, MSN, Internet, Skype. I use it for all of those things and gaming. But, They don't take that into acount so, They said No, For me to get a new graphics card.

Sugarpie, I'm going to be 13 in May 5th! Presents! :jmp: Can't wait!

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:33
OK found that Toshiba, I would say go for that over the samsung one, it's only £50 more and has a much higher and more common resolution.., there is also one with a built in freeview tuner to...

20" Toshiba HDTV (http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=103352&ReferrerCode=1)

20" Toshiba HDTV with Freeview (http://www.lxdirect.com/rf/navigation/product.do?Mis_item_id=15&product=300460080&D=300460080&Ntt=300460080&Dx=mode+matchall&Ntk=group_search&Mis_item_loc_id=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0&Nu=this_product&Nty=1&thisprod=300460080&SNtt=PY831&SNu=pca_id)

The specs are the same for Both, but I would say if you can stretch to £400 go for the one with Freeview, it will give you a much better picture than normal tv, and way more channels, like 30+, so you will get BBC3, ITV2 and E4 and loads more..well, just thinking of you...

Wow, I'm interested in that 20" Toshiba HDTV with Freeview. Would look lovely in my room.

:hug:

riprse
24-04-06, 13:35
the gaget show reviewed tvs & said the lg was a good screen also that samsung make bang & whats a face screens but if in doubt check this out
http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
these guys will help

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:36
Woo Hoo, 13 at last Kyle :D

Are you going to turn into Kevin the teenager? :D You'll get spots and start shaving your chin in the hope that hairs will actually start growing - you'll tell your mother that you loathe her with an incurable fever and will start getting embarrassing lectures from your dad about girls - thank gawd I am 38. I know much of what life is about, even if I don't have one :vlol:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:37
the gaget show reviewed tvs & said the lg was a good screen also that samsung make bang & whats a face screens but if in doubt check this out
http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
these guys will help

Thanks for the link. I have an LG cell phone and it's been very reliable :tmb:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:37
Woo Hoo, 13 at last Kyle :D

Are you going to turn into Kevin the teenager? :D You'll get spots and start shaving your chin in the hope that hairs will actually start growing - you'll tell your mother that you loathe her with an incurable fever and will start getting embarrassing lectures from your dad about girls - thank gawd I am 38. I know much of what life is about, even if I don't have one :vlol:

LOL :vlol:

Sugarpie, Offtopic here, Was just wondering if you got any pictures of your flat? I'm very nosie :D :cln:

Jebus
24-04-06, 13:43
i bought my latest for my room which is a LG 20 inch LCD tv, not high def, it retails at £350, i bought mine from John Lewis (where i work so i get discount) the guarentee LG offer is 2 years, at John Lewis they give you a free 5 year guarentee!!! It is a good tv, just with any plasma or LCD never leave a game paused on the screen for two long, or the image is 'burned in'

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:47
I think I have some pics in my files containing me in the flat. I'll go and upload a few from Image Shack :tmb: BRB!.....

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:49
I think I have some pics in my files containing me in the flat. I'll go and upload a few from Image Shack :tmb: BRB!.....

Thanks. Post them in a new thread or members pictures :tmb:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:50
Here is one taken last year (Look away now :D) :

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2699/louise1ty.jpg

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 13:51

Awesome picture :tmb:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 13:54
Thanks tee hee I am a brunette now though! :D

illuminati30
24-04-06, 14:01
I don't think she needs a HD Ready TV. I mean, You really only need them if you got Sky to get HD picture or with a console. She doesn't have Sky or a console so, She really doesn't need it. ;)

Sorry sugerpie, i must confess i have not read the whole thread, although if you are planning on buying any next gen consoles, HD will be better for you. I am playing my 360 on an old TV, but i am just waiting for it to go, and then i might try and get an HDTV.

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 14:08
No probs Illuminati :hug:

I generally stick to the PC where gaming is concerned because I have nobody to fight over it with LOL :D

My ex hubby had a PS2 and so I bought him a portable 15" TV to play it on some years back but I never really played on consoles much - sometimes we would play dual games like The Weakest Link (boring) and Billy Bass or something which was a riot - all about catching the biggest fish in around 10 minutes. I loved that game! Sometimes you'd think you were on to a whopper but all you drag in is a pink wellington boot :(

illuminati30
24-04-06, 14:10
I have a question-

Is an 'HDTV ready' TV actually the same as buying an HDTV?

Sugerpie, i have an LCD PC monitor/TV.

To be honest i dont really recommend them, although i bought mine round about last year they might have improved. The problem is you can not always see the TV unless you are looking straight on. If you view it from the side it goes dark.

Also when using the PC, it is on a wide screen setting, and it just looks horrible and all stretched, but i am too lazy to change it over all the time, and other people like that setting.

You can get some excellent PC monitors for cheap.

EDIT Dell things tend to be pretty good. Remember those guys in IT probably left their monitor on all the time, and they have a tendancy to burn out in that case.

Belfastard
24-04-06, 14:11
Gorgeous picture Lo. You're very attractive! :hug:

Your apartment looks gorgeous, too.

Lavinder
24-04-06, 14:15

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! :cln: so is the flat :D

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 14:23
:hug: Thanks folks! Should have seen the state of the gaff when I moved in!

Illuminati, I was also worried about the TV/PC thing because you have two things going on. I never liked combined washer/driers either for a similar reason. Good advice, I'll bide my time before committing myself :tmb:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 14:24
Why don't you get a 19" Acer Monitor Widescreen for your PC from Amazon and get a 19" LCD TV for your viewing :D

meansizzler
24-04-06, 14:34
Why don't you get a 19" Acer Monitor Widescreen for your PC from Amazon and get a 19" LCD TV for your viewing :D

that's like £500 though..., I want one of these...

Dell 3007WFP 30-inch Widescreen Digital Flat Panel LCD Monitor

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/210-15489.jpg

Native Resolution: 2560 x 1600..:D

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 14:36
Acer Widescreen 19" - £182.99 (Amazon UK)

:tmb:

SUGARPIE
I want a Dell Axim while I'm at it. They've gone down in price in less than 6 months. Dad has Sat. Nav. on his which bumped it up to about $300 but I would love an Axim.

meansizzler

HAHA, I was expecting you would look like the girl in your avatar, but older, you look the opposite.., anyway do you like work out?..:D, Is that an Urn on your shelf?..., you room has a really dark look, but not gothic, kinda sadistic..

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 14:38
I am brunette now Mean :D

Do I work out? Yes I am constantly working out why British Gas are charging me £2.75 for two units :D

illuminati30
24-04-06, 14:41
:hug: Thanks folks! Should have seen the state of the gaff when I moved in!

Illuminati, I was also worried about the TV/PC thing because you have two things going on. I never liked combined washer/driers either for a similar reason. Good advice, I'll bide my time before committing myself :tmb:

:)

Also if you are going to buy one from the internet, try to see what it is like in a shop first. You are spending a lot of money, and you want something that will last, so take your time! <Thats good coming from me, i am such an impulse buyer!>

meansizzler
24-04-06, 14:41
I want a Dell Axim while I'm at it. They've gone down in price in less than 6 months. Dad has Sat. Nav. on his which bumped it up to about $300 but I would love an Axim.

hmm..., I'm waiting for the New HP 6915, it's a Phone and Pocket PC and GPS all in one...

LINK (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF05a/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-12343242.html)

Belfastard
24-04-06, 14:46
I am brunette now Mean :D

Do I work out? Yes I am constantly working out why British Gas are charging me £2.75 for two units :D

:vlol:

SUGARPIE
24-04-06, 14:46
Nice piece-o-kit meanie :tmb:

Yep Illuminati I am going to pace myself on this one - I want something that lasts without having to take out extortionate in-store 'extra warranty' deals :tmb:

Lara Lover
24-04-06, 17:01
Sugarpie, I forgot to post this :

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1637936006.114589803 7@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddhijkefelcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&calling_page=Product&sku=236353&page=Product

BUY IT :D

meansizzler
24-04-06, 18:12
Sugarpie, I forgot to post this :

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1637936006.114589803 7@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddhijkefelcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&calling_page=Product&sku=236353&page=Product

BUY IT :D

That's a CRT with just a Flat Screen TUbe, she already has on of them, to bulky..

Zip
24-04-06, 19:08
Hi sugarpie this is a link to my thread on Blue-Ray and HD-DVD and well if you scroll down to my post there is a link to a article i posted regarding Hd Tv's

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=61883&page=3