PDA

View Full Version : Would you boycott gas?

xMiSsCrOfTx
25-04-06, 01:56
The prices are insane, almost $4 a gallon where I live. The thing is, if you did choose to boycott it, think about the distances you travel on a daily basis. My school is a good 35-40 minutes away from my house, and I don't think I could ever walk everywhere or ride a bike. Hybrid and electric cars are quite costly, still.

My friend brought up a good point the other day when we were talking. He seems to think that these sky-rocketing gas prices are just trying to stop pollution by exhaust in cars. So many more teenagers are getting cars, and with the already-decaying atmosphere of our planet, trying to stop people from driving any way possible might help. That's one theory.

If gas prices continue to rise, and they most likely will, what do you see yourself doing?

average stalker
25-04-06, 01:59
you have to buy gas...unfortunately there is no other option

Lost_Raider
25-04-06, 02:02
I'll ask in reverse...would you boycott food???

xMiSsCrOfTx
25-04-06, 02:04
you have to buy gas...unfortunately there is no other option

Actually, there is. I know many people who live really close to everything they need, some of them don't even have to ever drive a car. And my grandmother's never drove a car in her life, she's been fine walking to the store and such every day.

Lost_Raider
25-04-06, 02:20
Actually, there is. I know many people who live really close to everything they need, some of them don't even have to ever drive a car. And my grandmother's never drove a car in her life, she's been fine walking to the store and such every day.

That still won't help...you are still buying gas, but indirectly through your other purchases...

For example, all stores need gas to carry their good to their location; plastic and common household chemical substances are made from oil...

You can't avoid it...you will be paying for gas/oil one way or another...

JACOBryanBURNS
25-04-06, 02:21
Omg... I couldn't not buy gasoline... it just smells too good...

nomedo
25-04-06, 02:22
its over $6 per gallon here and we still drive cars. people doesnt really notice when its only up a bit every month. but people need to realise that they have to replace the oil pretty soon anyway. it wont last forever, so why not start now. if u think about north america having a population of about 300m people and about as much in europe. thats 600m people consuming most of the oil today but the economies that are growing most are in asia where a lot more people live. if in ten years time every person in india would have a car, that would be an extra 1 billion people and China, thats plus another 1,3 billion. the price will be many times higher then it is today and everybody knows it. so why not start to find alternative now. i dont understand why politics pretend like its nothing. even if Bush would invade every country in the middle east it wouldnt be enough.
and it is possible to replace gas driven cars. we have water, plumbing, electricity and even broadband in every single house in every single city nowadays, so it would be possible to work out a system to reload cars where ever u are. just like with gas. politics all over the world only has to agree on a standard that will be used everywhere.

Lost_Raider
25-04-06, 02:27
The thing is that to automotive industries, gasoline engine is still cheaper than electric or other hybrid engines...switching production lines would cost company millions of dollars in investment...and all infurstructures for automobiles are base on gasoline, which requires tons of money from taxpayers. Then there is the gas tax which government benifit from...They are not gonna make that move until the absolute worst happened.

Industries have the technoloy to built cars not rely on gasoline...but they just won't sell it because there is no profit...Government don't encourage it because it will result massive change within a society...

BoyTRaider
25-04-06, 02:32
WOW! $4!!!! :eek:
Here in Georgia it's around $2.50.
Hmm... yeah I would boycott. The price is way too high. I just wish they would have enough pavements on streets for bicycle use. It's ridiculous how you need a car to go every single place here in US. If you don't have a car, then you don't survive. It's that simple.
No wonder there's a high level of obsesity; noone gets out to walk not even one single mile.
Ah, I just hope this changes soon, otherwise, you'll have to be rich in order to drive around your area - considering that the gas prices will further increase as time procceeds onwards.

ILG49ers
25-04-06, 02:35
I could easily boycott gas, because I walk everywhere I go anyway. :p

JACOBryanBURNS
25-04-06, 02:39
Um, i think i did a project on this in highschool, and if people start boycotting gas, we'll start heading back to the depression, y'all.

wonderboy
25-04-06, 03:48
Well nobody will boycott gas. I definately won't I love my car and all the horrible greenhouse gasses it emits. But really can you blame me? It's so convienent.