PDA

View Full Version : How Many TR Games Are Selling?

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 11:26
Not just Legend but all TR games per se?

Has anyone seen any articles about the sales? So may consumers have been disappointed by both AOD and now Legend. AOD was voted the worst game of it's year which was crushing to hear at the time as I assumed they would cease to produce any more.

Do you think Eidos should sell the rights to the game to another company who will revamp it and give it priority? I'm not criticising AOD or Legend but I do prefer the original format and I feel we are losing the Lara we all know and love, possibly because I for one have far less control over her than I did in games like TR1,2,3,4 and Chonicals plus The Lost Artefact.

I realise the need to make improvements but that said, I don't think true Raiders really care about certain improvements to the graphics if it means forfeiting the ability to manouevre the character effectively.

I think you might agree that the old Lara is refreshing to control on the older games. The look button enables us to see larger chunks of the environment. In Legend it is harder to get a good look at the whole area in one go - you have to move the mouse everywhere to get snippets of wall, floor, ledges etc.

I'm enjoying the game but so many people rate 1 and 2 as their favourites, even 3 and 4 which tells me that a great deal of fans seem happier with the old format.

I'd be interested to know what the reviews are for this latest release along with sales figures :)

CerebralAssassin
26-04-06, 11:34
Honestly,I don't know why people make such a big deal out the controls,did you know how to ride a bike when you were born/.:p .Well,Sug I do agree with you that we're losing our old Lara,I miss the old puzzles and compelling puzzles:(.Haven't played Legend yet though:o

Emily Cartwright
26-04-06, 11:41
A Bob Lindsey quote from March 2nd, 2006:

"Users are very discerning about what is a good experience and what is not. If you create a big franchise like Tomb Raider, one that has sold more than 30 million units globally, you can't afford to burn it with something that does not deliver."

I could have just posted the 30 million units thing... But based on how many Tomb Raider fans including myself feel about Legend, I couldn't resist the comedy value.

That is units... To get the dollar amount multiply it by the average global sale price... Dunno what that is but TRL was around £28.

I couldn't get individual figures without paying for the stats... And I'm not that angry yet... :D

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 11:44
Hi CerebralAssasin,

Well from my own standing point, I have to declare that I am not at all co-ordinated when using controls and it takes me a very long time to become adept at getting accustomed to the command keys. So when they change them to such commands as 'e' for action, 'F' for diving downwards in water, space bar for swimming upward and then they make the direction keys follow the camera angle and not Lara as it was in the past, it is a lot to take in.

For example, if Lara is facing you, the camera say, you have to move the down arrow key to get her to swim towards you. If you want her to go forwards with the up arrow key you have to move the mouse to get the camera behind Lara. During timed swims this is difficult to get the hang of.

Also, when Lara has her weapons drawn she pretty much loses visuals and runs backwards or sideways and locks onto anything such as a wall. You have to just press what you think is the right key and hope an enemy comes into range. Thankfully enemies only require a few rounds so it is possible but changing direction is hard and so I tend to put weapons away to regain visuals. I am continually impressed however at how quick some folk are at picking up new controls with relative ease.

I miss the old safety walk button. Sometimes Lara pivots in a 180 degree turn so it can be hard to line up a jump when you first start playing :tmb:

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 11:47
A Bob Lindsey quote from March 2nd, 2006:

I could have just posted the 30 million units thing... But based on how many Tomb Raider fans including myself feel about Legend, I couldn't resist the comedy value.

That is units... To get the dollar amount multiply it by the average global sale price... Dunno what that is but TRL was around 28.

I couldn't get individual figures without paying for the stats... And I'm not that angry yet... :D

Thats a lot of sales! Thanks for posting that :tmb:

interstellardave
26-04-06, 11:48
Have you tried a game controller, Sugarpie? It amazes me how PC players insist on using keyboard controls for a game like Legend (or any TR style game)! Controllers are so much more intuitive and easier to use... at least I think it's extraordinarily easy to use one and so do many PC players. It's worth a try anyway.

CerebralAssassin
26-04-06, 11:48
Hi CerebralAssasin,

Well from my own standing point, I have to declare that I am not at all co-ordinated when using controls and it takes me a very long time to become adept at getting accustomed to the command keys. So when they change them to such commands as 'e' for action, 'F' for diving downwards in water, space bar for swimming upward and then they make the direction keys follow the camera angle and not Lara as it was in the past, it is a lot to take in.

For example, if Lara is facing you, the camera say, you have to move the down arrow key to get her to swim towards you. If you want her to go forwards with the up arrow key you have to move the mouse to get the camera behind Lara. During timed swims this is difficult to get the hang of.

Also, when Lara has her weapons drawn she pretty much loses visuals and runs backwards or sideways and locks onto anything such as a wall. You have to just press what you think is the right key and hope an enemy comes into range. Thankfully enemies only require a few rounds so it is possible but changing direction is hard and so I tend to put weapons away to regain visuals. I am continually impressed however at how quick some folk are at picking up new controls with relative ease.

I miss the old safety walk button. Sometimes Lara pivots in a 180 degree turn so it can be hard to line up a jump when you first start playing :tmb:
oh I"m sorry you're talking about PC controls..I was thinking PS,well in that case,it is a totally different beast..:o :o

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 11:50
Hi Dave,

I wouldn't even know what one looked like :vlol: Any chance of a pic? How much are they? Anything has to be easier than the bog standard keyboard :wve:

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 11:52
oh I"m sorry you're talking about PC controls..I was thinking PS,well in that case,it is a totally different beast..:o :o

Gotcha! Yeah PS would by default be easier I guess as there are a limited amount of buttons on the keypad. Having to look away to find the 'F' key costs me valuable time lol.

interstellardave
26-04-06, 11:53
Hi Dave,

I wouldn't even know what one looked like :vlol: Any chance of a pic? How much are they? Anything has to be easier than the bog standard keyboard :wve:

Well if you're in the UK, which I think you are, then I can't tell you accurate prices... the only PC-usable controller I'm familiar with is the XBox 360 controller which supposedly is easily used on PC's as well. I use it with my 360 of course, and it's the best controller I've ever used on consoles. There are many PC ones and the more PC-savvy folks like Joseph could probably tell you how it all works.

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 11:55
Yes I am in the UK so next time i am out in the real world and in a computer outlet I'll make some enquiries and get them to demo one for me :tmb:

ace_85
26-04-06, 12:18
Sugarpie, here is the gamepad that I use for Tomb Raider on PC.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=9069

It's useful because there's no cord to worry about (the reciever bit just plugs into a spare USB slot) and the controls can be fully customised depending on which control setup you're most comfortable with :tmb:

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 13:29
Oh I see it's like a PS gamepad :tmb: I prefer the cabled one as the batteries run out so quick on cordless hardware. I like the vibration on those things. I used to play a fishing game with my ex hubby on PS and as soon as you had a fish on it would go crazy, you could tell you had a huge bass on board just by the way the vibration went!

Thanks for posting that. I'm waiting for a new battery first though for the motherboard. If I connect anything in at the moment, the computer crashes and starts bleeping :(

Tomb Raider Master
26-04-06, 14:19
Hi Sugarpie! :wve: Here in Croatia I barely hear anything (almost nothing) about TR. I don't know any TR fan from here, except some people from the Forum. On the other side, you can find TR games for sale, but since there aren't many game shops here, the problem is even bigger.

I agree with your second post. Changing the controls completely in Legend isn't the thing I was amazed by. They weren't hard to learn, though, but classics are classic; not just the controls, but the games themselves.

SUGARPIE
26-04-06, 14:24
Hi TRM :hug:

Am I right in assuming that play.com and the like don't despatch to Croatia? How unfortunate that there are not many gaming shops around :(

I am learning the controls quite well but still having a lot of trouble with the camera angles. I am so used to pressing forward and going forward and not sideways LOL. Also, when she is pushing movable objects like boulders and crates she goes left instead of right and vice versa :D Still they are all tolerable problems!

P.S. In Legend, did anyone kick that football in Peru the village area? I have a feeling I was supposed to kick it through a window or something!!

Paul H
26-04-06, 20:16
I am another who is still using the keyboard to play PC games. With the early TR games I am quite comfortable with the keyboard, but from what I am reading, I am not looking forward to the new Legend controls. This idea of having to guide Lara according to where the camera is rather than simply up for forward and down for backwards reminds me of Broken Sword 3, which was a great game except for the terrible controls.

The one problem I have always had with the early TR keyboard controls though, is using F5 for saving a game and F6 for loading. With them being so close together, I still to this day sometimes use the wrong one. So if, for example, Lara is falling to her death, I don't always wait for her to hit the ground, but just *intend* to hit the F6 key to load a saved game, but accidentally hit the F5 key and then, without thinking, overwrite the game as she is falling. :hea:

Tomb Raider Master
26-04-06, 20:28
Unfortunately, only a small number of web addresses deliver stuff like video games to Croatia, but the dispatch itself is so expensive it makes me pay, for example, $100 for Legend! :(

Sugarpie:
I am so used to pressing forward and going forward and not sideways LOL. Also, when she is pushing movable objects like boulders and crates she goes left instead of right and vice versa :D Yes, it knows to be annoying. :rolleyes: :p Oh well, we'll get used to it, sooner or later. :D

Lara Lover
26-04-06, 20:31
PC World have the PC Version's of Tomb Raider every version on the Sold-Out versions. Very good price :tmb: Legend is there too. And AoD is on Sold-Out too :tmb: