PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill - The Movie

Emily Cartwright
26-04-06, 12:10
I went to see it last night. I did not get my hopes up too high based on most game conversions... But it delivered!!!! :jmp:

If you are a fan of the games, like me, you will absolutely love this film!!! They have taken their inspiration from the first two games... It was wonderful to watch... :D

My only gripe... And it's a small one... Is that they obviously had problems with the audience they used for test screening... That can not have been very smart. There is a need to explain everything VERY clearly rather than just letting us piece the story together ourselves...

But I loved it... Eidos, take note, you can do a decent movie if you try...

ace_85
26-04-06, 12:22
I'm hopefully going to see this tonight. I'm actually really looking forward to it, as most game-to-film conversions are usually such a disappointment. :)

Emily Cartwright
26-04-06, 12:25
I'm hopefully going to see this tonight. I'm actually really looking forward to it, as most game-to-film conversions are usually such a disappointment. :)

As long as you're okay with the storyline only being based on 1&2 you'll love it. It truely is Silent Hill...

ace_85
26-04-06, 12:31
As long as you're okay with the storyline only being based on 1&2 you'll love it. It truely is Silent Hill...

Yeah, that's the impression I got from the trailers. I even recognised some of the creepy sound effects from SH1 on the ad! My fave SH is still the original so this is no problem for me :D I'm actually thinking about buying the boxset of games - 2, 3 and 4 - that has been released to celebrate the film as well. Shame they didn't squeeze SH1 onto it somewhere too, but that's still a lot of Hill for the money :)

Spitfire
26-04-06, 12:34
there was a thread about it ealier, it was clear everyone who went to see it believes it delivered in a big way. The movie has to be the best Game-to-movie adaptation yet!

TrojanMan
26-04-06, 13:31
Silent Hill was frickin' was awesome.

Pyramid Head>>>Lara Croft. Sorry, but it's true.

Emily Cartwright
26-04-06, 13:34
Why did you have to post a spoiler like that!?! :mad:

What if people haven't seen the film yet!!!

Please edit it out!

TrojanMan
26-04-06, 13:39
It's not really a spoiler.

One: There's like a million woman in this movie. In fact, the woman:man ratio is like 7:1.

Two: Pyramid Head is in the trailers. He's nothing new.

Emily Cartwright
26-04-06, 13:41
Thanks!!! :D

TrojanMan
26-04-06, 14:54
No problem. Can't wait for the Silent Hill DVD.

gazhammer
26-04-06, 14:56
Going tonight.... starts 7.20pm:yik: :yah:

TrojanMan
26-04-06, 15:06
Enjoy. Just hope you're not squeamish. When I saw it, the theater was packed and the girl next to me kept looking away from the screen. I personally couldn't take my eyes off of the movie. One of the friends I went with almost threw up at the end.

stereopathic
26-04-06, 16:17
i thouight this movie was pretty freaking bad! it looked cool and the music was pretty good at times but it had almost no character development and the thinnest of plots. it wasn't scary at all either, just creepy in parts. the effects were pretty good tho.

TrojanMan
26-04-06, 19:55
i thouight this movie was pretty freaking bad! it looked cool and the music was pretty good at times but it had almost no character development and the thinnest of plots. it wasn't scary at all either, just creepy in parts. the effects were pretty good tho.

I would rather there be minimal character development than a lot of forced character development, and in the movie's scenerio, I don't think it would've worked very well. No movies are scary now-a-days, but Silent Hill was defeinately one of the more pulse-pounding movies I've seen in a long time. And the storyline really wasn't that shallow. Deeper than the stories in most horror/action movies.

Scottlee
26-04-06, 19:58
I saw it on Sunday night. I've seen better horror films in the past, but this was by far the best game-to-movie conversion I've ever seen. It's well worth seeing.

Gothlegend
26-04-06, 19:59
wat i really didnt get about the silent hill movie was at the end why couldnt the guy see his kid and wife? were they still trapped in the world of darkness because of sherin?:confused:

TrojanMan
26-04-06, 20:03
I'd suggest editing that post considering you just gave away the ending.

stereopathic
26-04-06, 20:05
I would rather there be minimal character development than a lot of forced character development, and in the movie's scenerio, I don't think it would've worked very well. No movies are scary now-a-days, but Silent Hill was defeinately one of the more pulse-pounding movies I've seen in a long time. And the storyline really wasn't that shallow. Deeper than the stories in most horror/action movies.
the plot was convoluted to be certain and it was a VERY good-looking movie, but i have to say you're pretty right about how the story compares to other horror movies. the genre routinely eschews story and character for jolts or gore. i guess that's why my favorite scary movie is the ring. though it was creepy more than outright frightening, that film's well-developed characters, solid dialogue and well-written story proves that it can be done. i just wish it would happen more often, especially in silent hill. being a fan of the game, i really did have high hopes.

gazhammer
27-04-06, 07:32
Well, whether anybody else liked it or not, "I Loved It"!.

I never take reviewing movies lightly, as a big movie fan(over 800 original DVD's), i like what i like and i dont mind if eveybody else in the World disagrees.

So called scary movies, dont tend to scare me, the only movie that has ever crept me out(in adulthood) is The Blair Witch Project and i sincerely expect that, that will not change.

Silent Hill on the other hand is the pot double of the games(almost brick for brick and blood spatter for blood spatter) which impressed me right from entering the Town.

I loved every minute of the Movie(the same cannot be said about the theatre seating, numb bum syndrome) and was obviously expecting an open ending, which of course is another thing that coincides with the games!.

The most gruesome part for me though was having to watch the guy sat 2 seats away picking his nose and then discreetly trail his prize riddled finger down to his gaping maw(and listening to him chew). I wasnt trying to look but the seats are joined in a curve and couldnt help but catch the motion out of the corner of my eye.:(

Anyway great Movie and another to add to my ever expanding list, one last thing, please tell me i'm correct in pointing out that the girlie Cop WAS in fact Lauren Holly(Dumb+Dumber,Turbulence,etc), as i missed the credits at the end of the Movie?.:confused: :D

Gothlegend
27-04-06, 20:35
I'd suggest editing that post considering you just gave away the ending.

sry i gave away the end and can yu tell me how to do the spoiler hilight thing?

intrinsica
27-04-06, 21:42
The movie has to be the best Game-to-movie adaptation yet!I agree completely.
Seriously, I went in to this film expecting another poor attempt at getting the game across. Such things as Tomb Raider (although people around here might disagree with that one), Alien vs. Predator, Doom and Resident Evil have left me dreading every game to film adaptation that I watch.
Perhaps it was then due to the fact that I went in with low expectations, but I was pretty blown away by the whole thing.

People say that the character development wasn't good. I would say that it wasn't particularly necessary anyway. We learnt all the parts that we needed to learn about the character's pasts, and as far as things went, they could have done a lot worse in their overall attempt at the characters. I found myself watching the film and wanting people to survive, something that didn't happen in films like Doom or AvP.

I loved the acknowledgement the film gave to the game. Doom completely dropped the storyline, and in the end the only thing connecting the game to the film was the location and the BFG.
Silent Hill on the other hand has the specific locations from the game (the hospital, the hotel etc.) and there are real tributes to the game in that you can honestly see certain sequences that were taken from the game (for example, jumping through the hole from one building to another, ref. Silent Hill 2 I believe).

Someone earlier said that the film was taken from the first two games. For me, the third game was also incorporated in to it, using the religious aspect of the film as well as this third hell-like-dimension. Look at the film and you will be able to find 3 specific dimensions. This third dimension is something that, to the best of my knowledge, only made an appearance in the third game (although I haven't played SH4).

The music was great, I could swear that some of it was lifted straight from the game score, rather than being just someone's own version of it. I wouldn't mind getting hold of the soundtrack at all. Especially the first track in the end credits (anyone got a ref. for that?).

The atmosphere for the film was really good, and gave me the same feeling that I felt when I played the games. Indeed, I still need to finish SH2...it creeped me out way too much. One of the only things keeping me in that cinema was the fact that I wasn't alone.

My only minor gripe was the ending. I don't want to give it away for others, but in my view things got...extreme. Before then, we had been given this hell-like-dimension, which was gory, yet bearable. I found the ending to be slightly too much.

However, I came away amazed at what a good job they had done with the film. There also seemed to be a decent setup for a second Silent Hill, but I get the feeling that should they choose to do that they will follow Silent Hill 2's storyline far too rigidly to make it a worthwhile thing.

Thumbs up in my opinion!

imaginarylight
27-04-06, 21:50
I saw it last saturday and I thought it was amazing! It was so much like the game, I cant wait to see it again.

Belfastard
28-04-06, 16:29
What I don't understand is, if the monsters only came out AFTER that alarm went off and it went dark, then why did those weird things that have no arms and spit acid come out? Because there was no alarm or darkness and they were out and about! :confused:

Help please, lol.