PDA

View Full Version : Do you learn any martial Arts?

scoopy_loopy
27-04-06, 10:25
Personally I learn Tae-kwon do which is Korean.

And Kendo (Way of the sword) which is Japanese.

Whatt do you guys learn?

Kamrusepas
27-04-06, 10:28
I've always wanted to learn Taekwondo and Capoeira. But no, this town is too small to have activities like that...

Ampersand
27-04-06, 10:31
I used to do Eskrima (also called Kali), a Filipino stick- and blade-based martial art. Otherwise I've just done the usual self-defence stuff. :)

scoopy_loopy
27-04-06, 10:32
cool.

ace_85
27-04-06, 10:35
I used to go to Judo classes when I was younger, but only for about a year. I sometimes tell myself I should take it up again, but I don't think I'll get around to it if I'm honest :o

_Mica_
27-04-06, 10:35
I don't learn any martial arts, but I'd like to. :)

Kamrusepas
27-04-06, 10:36
Otherwise I've just done the usual self-defence stuff. :)

I've been on two self defense courses too :D It was fun [and not just because the other teacher was really hot :whi:]

scoopy_loopy
27-04-06, 10:41
wouldnt mind pinning her hey kam... *growls*

Zip
27-04-06, 10:44
I haven't learnt any but i have tought myself to use throwing knives and ninja stars.

scoopy_loopy
27-04-06, 10:58
right....

Thorir
27-04-06, 11:12
I did Jeet Kune Do for about half a year. But it was really hard, I was maybe 14 years old and skinny, all the other guys were 25 years old and super buff!

I'd like to learn Kendo. :)

MiCkiZ88
27-04-06, 11:29
I wish I would have the time to learn tae kwon do ( or how the heck it's spelled.. ) or any martial arts... but again... kemi is a small town where there are only few hundred places to go learn something... :yik:

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-04-06, 13:51
I know some Judo, but I want to learn Jiu-Jitsu and Karate. :)

TombRaiderLover
27-04-06, 14:42
I don't.

Lost_Raider
27-04-06, 14:57
Army unarmed combat techniques...that is all I know...

I give up after three months...

JamesFKirk
27-04-06, 15:13
Yes. Direct3D.

stereopathic
27-04-06, 15:31
i've trained in tae kwon do and muay thai for stand up fighting and brazilian jiu-jitsu for ground fighting. i'd like to take some krav maga, jeet kune do and hapkido.

jarhead
27-04-06, 15:32
i do karate- and some kali and that lot. basically its 'if you get in a fight- how to make sure you leave with them on the ground' :p . first rule 'dont get in a fight'

Elysia
27-04-06, 15:35
I used to do karate... but there again, we didn't have much of a choice. My dad was a sensei (until he buggered his knees up falling of a drilltower (he's a fireman) about 15 yars ago) and shotokan champ in the 70's :tmb:

Greenkey2
27-04-06, 16:02
I've turned cat bathing into a martial art :pi: It's expensive though, because of all the protective padding. Think kendo but with enraged ginger feline vainly trying to crawl the helmet off and you'll get the idea :p

Elysia
27-04-06, 16:09
I've turned cat bathing into a martial art :pi: It's expensive though, because of all the protective padding. Think kendo but with enraged ginger feline vainly trying to crawl the helmet off and you'll get the idea :p
Oh, you follow that Path too? Shall we compare scars?!

(Well, it's their own bloody fault for getting covered in paint / coming smelling of wee / having somethind indescribable and stinky ingrained in their fur / walking over my freshly varnished shelving unit... the way mine howl (and try to rip my face off whilst escaping the bathroom, or, as it is referred to in my house, the Cat Torture Room) you'd think I was trying to wash them in boiling oil...)

Reggie
27-04-06, 16:16
I know mixed martial arts and before that Judo (but I'm not so good at Judo lol)

Greenkey2
27-04-06, 17:13
Oh, you follow that Path too? Shall we compare scars?!

(Well, it's their own bloody fault for getting covered in paint / coming smelling of wee / having somethind indescribable and stinky ingrained in their fur / walking over my freshly varnished shelving unit... the way mine howl (and try to rip my face off whilst escaping the bathroom, or, as it is referred to in my house, the Cat Torture Room) you'd think I was trying to wash them in boiling oil...)

ROFL! :vlol: TAKE A LOOK AT THIS! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/cat_bath.htm

Know that a cat has claws and will not hesitate to remove all the skin from your body. Your advantage here is that you are smart and know how to dress to protect yourself. I recommend canvas overalls tucked into high-top construction boots, a pair of steel-mesh gloves, an army helmet, a hockey face mask, and a long-sleeved flak jacket.

See?! It does exist! :jmp:

Elysia
27-04-06, 17:17
ROFL! :vlol: TAKE A LOOK AT THIS! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/cat_bath.htm

See?! It does exist! :jmp:
:vlol: That link is so true!
*makes notes to invest in flak jackets and wire mech gloves for the future....*

Sunwave
27-04-06, 17:21
Hmm, not much...
I have had like 3 lessons Jiu-Jitsu (very enjoyable) and also like 3 lessons Judo. I never took up one of those because I already do volleyball and atletics (or whatever it's spelled) and tennis. So, no room for anything else at the moment.
Maybe I'm going to do Jiu-Jitsu at some moment in the future...

Airave
27-04-06, 17:52
I was pretty serious into Karate and Kung Fu
for a few years and did some "free fighting"
in the Army. That was many years ago though.
Still I feel confident in most situations, despite
my age, and try to stay generally fit.

I analyse street situations and size things/people
up automaticaly and without effort... that has stayed.
Playing TR keeps me sharp on that side too!:D

stereopathic
27-04-06, 17:58
I analyse street situations and size things/people
up automaticaly and without effort... that has stayed.
funny! i do the same thing! when i walk into a place (especially a bar), i automatically look around to see who looks like they could handle themselves.

Sofitegan
27-04-06, 18:00
I did judo for about a year but didnt feel i was learning ANYTHING so i gave up. Now im doing Tai Ji(sometimes spelt Tai Chi). I love it.

Airave
27-04-06, 18:10
funny! i do the same thing! when i walk into a place (especially a bar), i automatically look around to see who looks like they could handle themselves.

Is a good and smart skill to have! *high-fives!*

GeckoKid
27-04-06, 18:47
i don't know any martial arts.... wants to learn parkour and gymnastics tho. there's this stereotype apparently when people around here kept asking me if i know any kung-fu just because i share the same home city and last name with jackie chan....

Real Life Lara
27-04-06, 18:50
I *did* do Judo for a while, made it to yellow belt, but then the teacher had to have a heart bypass and doesnt take the class anymore o_O Shame...

Geck-o-Lizard
27-04-06, 19:09
Always wanted to start learning one but never got round to finding out what I'd like to learn, or finding a place where I'd enjoy learning it. No fun with no friends learning with me.

scion05
27-04-06, 19:15
I used to do Tae Kwon Do :p

tr_mitch
27-04-06, 19:19
I used to do TaeKwondo, and made it all the way to black belt, but quit a year ago. tis a shame but school work was more important at that time, of course i could start up again, but all the gradings and things would be to complicated to get back into.