PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution re-named...

dark_angel_7
27-04-06, 16:49
Yep, the big announcement has came! The Revolution is now called...Wii??? [prounounced as We]. Links :

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6148462&page=4#comments

Official Site :

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

I think the name sounds crap and could affect the console majorly and confuse general costumers! :( They should've kept it to Revolution, that sounds way better!

TombRaiderLover
27-04-06, 16:57
Wii? What's next, Nintendo Ecommibalantanatauuuuumelondutat?

Paperdoll
27-04-06, 16:59
Wii? What's next, Nintendo Ecommibalantanatauuuuumelondutat?
:vlol:

"I'm going to play Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!" XD

ILG49ers
27-04-06, 17:00
That's the best name they could come up with? The Revolution sound cool too me.

TombRaiderLover
27-04-06, 17:02
Kid: Look Dad, there's a Nintendo Wii!

Dad: I'm sorry son, it's too expensive!

Kid: But Dad, I really need a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Apofiss
27-04-06, 17:03
Interesting.. I guess Nintendo did the right thing changing it's title, kind of a fresh effect overall as that's for commercial aims. Wii!! hehe ^^

ILG49ers
27-04-06, 17:04
Kid: Look Dad, there's a Nintendo Wii!

Dad: I'm sorry son, it's too expensive!

Kid: But Dad, I really need a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

yesrushdt
27-04-06, 17:11
That's an awful name in my opinion. They should've stuck with Revolution.

BlackGrey
27-04-06, 17:12
*cries* Why nintendo?!?!? Oh wait here's something good:

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

stereopathic
27-04-06, 18:02
revolution sounded cool and seemed very fitting what with the controller making it a "revolutionary" new way to play games. what-to-the-ev.

interstellardave
27-04-06, 18:04
As great as Nintedo is at making games... they are equally as bad at Marketing! :hea:

Legend of Lara
27-04-06, 18:18
Behold: Nintendo's dumbest name since the DS! :tea:

illuminati30
27-04-06, 18:21
Its not a change of name guys, revolution was just a code name. :)

nomedo
27-04-06, 18:32
Its not a change of name guys, revolution was just a code name. :)

yes thats true and it wont be a prob for Nintendo to establish the new name either. xbox360 did it (Xenon), Vista did it (Longhorn), not to talk about Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (Tomb Raider: Next Generation) and almost every other computer component, mobile phone or car is first known as a codename. but it will be interesting how Nintendo will market this Wii thing :hug:

UNDERTAKER
27-04-06, 19:23
The Wii is barely more powerful than the original Xbox.

This new console better be cheap because why should people pay over £200 for dated technology?

TombRaiderLover
27-04-06, 19:24
I really need a Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

illuminati30
27-04-06, 19:50

Is this not all just speculation? Do we know specifications? The rev will be cheap, all will be revealed soon.

Kamrusepas
27-04-06, 19:52
Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

Yeah, that makes sense, but seriously..................... Wii?

jarhead
27-04-06, 19:54
and how do they expect to market a product pronounced wee. :confused:

nomedo
27-04-06, 20:11

yes but it still has alot of more features then the original Xbox.
its like comparing an old high end graphics card to a new mid end.
Wii's Hollywood chip will probably have Shader Model 3.0, HDR support and many other things the original Xbox only could dream of ;)

illuminati30
27-04-06, 20:14
yes but it still has alot of more features then the original Xbox.
its like comparing an old high end graphics card to a new mid end.
Wii's Hollywood chip will probably have Shader Model 3.0, HDR support and many other things the original Xbox only could dream of ;)

Again i ask, how do we know its similar to Xbox. There has been no specifications yet, only rumours. Unless you have all read something i have not???

stereopathic
27-04-06, 20:16
so if you steal one, did you take a wii? if you dropped one on your friend, did you wii on him? oui we wee wii. this is just weird.

illuminati30
27-04-06, 20:18
so if you steal one, did you take a wii? if you dropped one on your friend, did you wii on him? oui we wee wii. this is just weird.

Are you in the habit of stealing consoles and dropping them on your friends? :tea: ;)

Grenade
27-04-06, 20:20
I really need a Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!
:vlol: LMAO!

I don't really like the name. I liked Revolution better.

Forwen
27-04-06, 20:31
Why not call it Nintendo Gżegżłka?

Reggie
27-04-06, 21:46
What a riduculous name, they have no idea what the public wants, perhaps instead of spending their time and money publising a useless name such as that, they should spend more time actually MAKING their product a revoulution instead (though that would be a revolution in itself >.<)

Shauni
27-04-06, 22:02
Sounds funny, but okay... It's kind of a cute name I guess. :)

illuminati30
27-04-06, 22:14
The name is growing on me. I remember seeing the controller and thinking WTF! and i felt the same away about the name. However from an advertising point of view its quite effective, and more like a symbol than a name. It could be very discreetly plastered every where. Console names always get shortened. If they had kept with Revolution, it would just be Rev, just like Playstation 2 is PS2.

belter_21
27-04-06, 22:20
The name is growing on me. I remember seeing the controller and thinking WTF! and i felt the same away about the name. However from an advertising point of view its quite effective, and more like a symbol than a name. It could be very discreetly plastered every where. Console names always get shortened. If they had kept with Revolution, it would just be Rev, just like Playstation 2 is PS2.
it may be nicknamed 'number 1' which is better than 'number 2' which would have been p00 :D

illuminati30
27-04-06, 22:29
it may be nicknamed 'number 1' which is better than 'number 2' which would have been p00 :D

lol

They always make me think 'what the **** are they doing?' But then i always come round to their ideas' Everything regarding the revolution thus far has had a reaction of such from all :D

Takamoto
27-04-06, 23:37
Wi will Wi will... rock you ? :D

Lost_Raider
27-04-06, 23:38
Wi will Wi will... rock you ? :D

Nice marketing cliche :D

Takamoto
27-04-06, 23:40
Teacher: What did you do Timmy in the week-end ?
Timmy: I played with my WIIIII !!!
Teacher: No swearing in class!

Paperdoll
27-04-06, 23:41
Teacher: What did you do Timmy in the week-end ?
Timmy: I played with my WIIIII !!!
Teacher: No swearing in class!

:vlol: :vlol:

wonderboy
27-04-06, 23:42
I don't think Nintendo is bad at marketing... you guys are talking about it so is everybody else in the gaminng world. Think about it.

Takamoto
27-04-06, 23:44
I don't think Nintendo is bad at marketing... you guys are talking about it so is everybody else in the gaminng world. Think about it.
Yes, you are right. I can see it now: "Hey Lisa wanna come over to my place and play with my WIIIII ? It will be fun, EVERYONE plays with my WIIIII. :D"

wonderboy
27-04-06, 23:49
lol it's debatable whether the name is great or not, I think the philosophy around it is fantastic with the two ii representing the new controlers and people gathering around it. It will catch on, I think it already has, and people will NOT make their purchasing decision based on a name, look at dreamcast, this is buzz marketing, they're getting people riled up right before E3, and I say Kudos

CerebralAssassin
28-04-06, 00:08
Yep, the big announcement has came! The Revolution is now called...Wii??? [prounounced as We]. Links :

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6148462&page=4#comments

Official Site :

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

I think the name sounds crap and could affect the console majorly and confuse general costumers! :( They should've kept it to Revolution, that sounds way better!
wtf:confused: :vlol:

GeckoKid
28-04-06, 00:37
smells like wee! :D

Lost_Raider
28-04-06, 00:40
Hum...Japanese can pronounce the sound "we"...interesting.

How are they gonna buy wii if they can't ask the store clerk to fetch it???

Majority of the market is based in Japan...

wonderboy
28-04-06, 00:43
Wii means good in japanese...

Capt. Murphy
28-04-06, 03:20
Wii I think of the 2 ' ii ' as 2 people playing. Lets see if this works...

:gki:
W- | -- | - -

Now to test post. :pi:

:rolleyes: meh, close enough.

Takamoto
28-04-06, 03:21
What's next ? Nintendo Poo ?

Capt. Murphy
28-04-06, 03:24
What's next ? Nintendo Poo ?:vlol:

Actually, I think the name is silly. Wii.

Jiish. :rolleyes:

ambico17
28-04-06, 05:18
You'll get used to it. I didn't care for it at first, but the name is catchy. Sounds like the word we say when we're having fun, "Weeee!"

Let's look thru history at other names, iPod, Napster, Google, Yahoo. Now these names are part of our everyday conversation. We don't think twice at how stupid those words sound.

But if any hardcore Nintendo gamer starts to hassle me, I can call him a wii-tard.

dark_angel_7
28-04-06, 16:13
Lol!!! ambico17.

Legend of Lara
28-04-06, 23:13
What's next ? Nintendo Poo ?

Spoiled brat: Moooooom... I WANT A POO!!!
Mom: What kind of poo?
SB: A NINTENDO POO!!!
Mom: Super Mario Sunshine?
:vlol: *gets bricked by Mario fans*

Night Crawler
28-04-06, 23:16
When's the toilet humour gonna end? :rolleyes:

illuminati30
28-04-06, 23:18
When's the toilet humour gonna end? :rolleyes:

Probably never unfortunatly.