PDA

View Full Version : Want a few more reviews posting?

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 10:44
Happy to post up a few reviews of other games - shock! is this sacrilege? lol - from our place if folks want to read them. Mods, don't want to be seen as spamming, so let me know. Cheers mrK

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 10:55
From your place? Where's that? :D :wve:

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 10:58
Hi Jin, the link's on my profile. I'm still pretty new here, but thought you may as well read what we're writing about various games. Up to you all though, cheers mrK

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 11:06
You're a writer for Mansized, then? I think I'd like to see your review for Legend, if you have one. ;) After all, it's Tomb Raider. :wve:

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 11:09
Moreover, this is General Chat Forum so almost every subject is welcome. I'm confident that the fine mods around here will inform you if, in any way, you've explicitly committed spamming. ;)

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 11:17
Cheers for taking an interest Jin, appreciated. I set the place up about a month ago - I'm will on the site - to be more interesting than the average site for men. Plug over lol

I'm not as happy with our TR review now to be honest. We got the game on release day so didn't have time to get all the way through - we usually try to.

I've almost finished it now - up to the snake - and think the hand holding/ length of the game merits maybe half a star off. We'll stand by it being the most polished outing, and I personally think it's still enjoyable. I'll try and add a couple more pars this weekend.

Caveats over with, here's what we said at the time:
----

How time has flown. It's almost ten years since the then emerging Derby-based developer Core Design hooked up with games whizz Toby Gard to fashion the first lady of games.

Lara had it all. A shapely figure so loved by men and a sassy attitude to snare go getting women, and the Tomb Raider series went on to become a multi-million pound industry in it's own right with games, movies and merchandise all part of the bandwagon.

Just don't mention the last few installments. Angel of Darkness in particular earned a rather embarrassing joke status. Strolling round the streets of Paris may be great in reality, but the game was slow moving, repetitive and dull.

Publisher Eidos had to readjust their holsters. Core Design was ahem... let go of, and new developer Crystal Dynamics given free reign. Gard was also brought back on board in an attempt to get back to the game's raiding roots.

They say:

Official Xbox Magazine: “It's amazingly easy to play, user-friendly, good fun and looks great throughout, but you may still find yourself completing it in a couple of sittings... A classy game that's a joy from start to finish”

Metacritic: “Lara comes alive with intricately animated expressions, moves and abilities. An arsenal of modern equipment, such as a magnetic grappling device, binoculars, frag grenades, personal lighting device and communications equipment, allows gamers to experience tomb raiding as never before.”

Gamesradar.co.uk: “Lara's newest adventure is sprightly, exciting and sure to reinvigorate the once great series.”

We say:

As the new face of Lara, stunning model Karima Adebibe won’t need to push this title too hard as the game has improved beyond belief since the last incarnation.

Gone is the aimless chatting with French geezers and in its place a taught, sharp level design that takes the series to a new prestigious level.

The action starts from the moment you boot up. We enter as Lara and her mum crash land in Bolivia - a scene that could be straight out of Mission Impossible 3.

Thoughtful narrative, dialogue and cutscenes move the story along at a fair old pace and – unlike previous incarnations – you actually want to look out for this gun toting lass.

The control system is way better too. You'll remember the turn on the spot control from previous games? Well, that's history. A brand new take has her jumping, swimming, climbing and more, but it’s all done with much less effort and much more speed.

Lara now feels supple and athletic. Twenty storey dive into a lake? No problem.

Combat has also received a welcome boost with moves such slide attack and a range of new tools including binoculars and a multi-purpose grappling hook. The hook in particular opens up a wider range of puzzles, so less move this block from here to there, push this button and so on.

So adventurers step this way. With solid controls, combat and design, Tomb Raider - Legend is a must buy.

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 11:19
I'm confident that the fine mods around here will inform you if, in any way, you've explicitly committed spamming. ;)
Ooerr *wonders how they let you know*

Not with Arthur's sword tapping you on the shoulder hopefully lol

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 11:20
We also had a guy playtesting it on the boards - he picked up the shortness of the game pretty quickly - I'll see if I can find that stuff...

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 11:29
I've read the review, Mark. It's a good one. :tmb: May be you should revamp your Legend review after finishing the game. That'll undoubtedly give you more insights, and good luck on playing the game. ;)

About the website, it looks professionally done. I think you may need a team behind your back to keep things going smoothly. It's quite a big website, isn't it? Plus, I don't think I saw a Search option. Would you mind enabling such a feature? :wve:

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 11:36
May be you should revamp your Legend review after finishing the game. That'll undoubtedly give you more insights, and good luck on playing the game. ;)
Cheers, we will definitely. I'm finished TR's 1-4 so let's just say I'm a fan :-) Want to do our review justice.

About the website, it looks professionally done. I think you may need a team behind your back to keep things going smoothly.
Yep, we're taking on new folks all the time. Got bars, restaurants and music kicking off soon so wheeling in new people for that. And taking on a few more experts too - got my eye on a GP, a lawyer and a money expert to answer readers' questions. It's rolling... slowly :-)

It's quite a big website, isn't it? Plus, I don't think I saw a Search option. Would you mind enabling such a feature? :wve:
Yep, we need to. The boards have got a simple keyword search, but the rest of the site hasn't yet. I'm saving the pennies to get a decent site wide search built - keywords, authors, dates, search in sections - that kind of thing. Don't think we can manage without it for much longer.

Thanks for the comments Jin. If you've ever got more PM me, post em or drop in if you like. You run a site yourself?

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 11:43
I'll keep an eye on your website, Mark (that your name?). No, I don't run a website. But I sure dream I could. I'd very much like to be part of your staff, but I'm afraid some recent efforts of mine have been consuming my time, specifically some literaries. :)

I haven't welcomed you formally yet, have I? Welcome to this side of the web! :D

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 11:50
I'll keep an eye on your website, Mark (that your name?).
mrK is my handle - after the mystery man in North By Northwest - ought to pick a TR name really but all the best ones have gone :-) My real name's Will, pleased to meet you!

I'd very much like to be part of your staff, but I'm afraid some recent efforts of mine have been consuming my time, specifically some literaries. :)
Let's stay in touch then! I've got most of the people I need right now, but there's always new stuff coming up. What sort of things you writing?

I haven't welcomed you formally yet, have I? Welcome to this side of the web! :D
Nice to be here, to be here nice!

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 12:00
Very pleased to meet you, too, Will. It's nice you've graced this fine community with your presence. ;) I'd be delighted to be a writer for your project, but, as I've said, I'm quite busy. Perhaps I'll inform you when I'm free of aggravations. :D

I am keen on writing stories. Recently, I began writing a novel based on Legend but unfortunately, my laziness impeded my progress. You can find that one here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=62225). I've also tried writing some sort of news article for this particular forum...to which no one replied. Perhaps they didn't find the subject interesting. :D That one's here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=62521). :wve:

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 12:15
Very pleased to meet you, too, Will. It's nice you've graced this fine community with your presence. ;)
I've been wanting to join for a while, always something getting in the way though. Now I'm my own boss again I've found there's more time not less to do the things I like.

I'd be delighted to be a writer for your project, but, as I've said, I'm quite busy. Perhaps I'll inform you when I'm free of aggravations. :D
Yep, sure thing. Read your chapters - nice work. Are you posting new ones in that thread? Let me know and I'll subscribe.

On the news front, try a few more. From time to time we'll do stories that no one replies to, but we keep going. If people know you as a news hound they'll show up.

Oh stupid question, do I get to switch on an avatar after a certain number of posts? Got a great Cary Grant one - ok nowt to do with Tomb Raider, but is very cool!

Off out now, but catch you soon. Cheers Jin

Jin Uzuki
29-04-06, 12:29
About avatars: You can post the image you want here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=53109), and ELEN, one of the administrators of this community, will kindly upload it for you. ;)

Okay, catch you soon. :wve:

mrkaplan
29-04-06, 13:15
Cheers Jin. Your old avatar rocks, like the new one even better